Dane
lawnmowerman
Czarcasm
31 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Lord Melbury

Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread   Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread - Page 5 EmptyWed Jan 18, 2017 10:00 pm

Good game. If this is anything to go by they should have enough for promotion.
Back to top Go down
tigertony

tigertony

PostSubject: Re: Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread   Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread - Page 5 EmptyWed Jan 18, 2017 10:15 pm

pilgrimfather wrote:
Lads did us proud tonight. Fantastic performance and excellent over both legs. Well done.
Absolutely. For Prem vs Lge 2 it was really watchable. Apart from the goal Luke wasn't really troubled and JJ's half overhead volley could have been flashing around the football world now - if only.
salute
Back to top Go down
nzgreen

nzgreen

PostSubject: Re: Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread   Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread - Page 5 EmptyWed Jan 18, 2017 10:16 pm

Argyle played well. Few miss placed passes when they tried to play the ball forward quicker and the crosses could have been better, but there was some very good performances, Bradley, Threkeld and Purrington especially.

The Steve Mcmananaman chant came over as clear and as loud as a very loud and clear bell. So much so it shut the annoying tosser up for a good few minutes at least.

Well done to DA and the fans. A good performance and excellent support.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread   Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread - Page 5 EmptyWed Jan 18, 2017 10:19 pm

You start out defensively with a negative attitude, and you will get what you get., and from a very average L1 standard bunch of kids plus a couple of names. Classic brand bullying where you can serve substandard coffee and still charge.
Both Warnock and Gerrard thought Argyle should have had a more positive attitude. Too right, but the great ATD/Despoti/Chat Janner knew best.
Wasted opportunity to do a Lincoln, a Yeovil.

Last edited by beesrus on Wed Jan 18, 2017 10:22 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

PostSubject: Re: Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread   Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread - Page 5 EmptyWed Jan 18, 2017 10:20 pm

Watched the post match discussion with Neil Warnock and Steven Gerrard, both said Argyle should have put Liverpool under more pressure over both legs because they looked vulnerable.
Can't believe I just saw Steven Gerrard at Home Park. I like Klopp!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread   Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread - Page 5 EmptyWed Jan 18, 2017 10:23 pm

No complaints from me, excellent effort.
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread   Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread - Page 5 EmptyWed Jan 18, 2017 10:24 pm

Great team effort, great game to watch. Shame about the result.

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

PostSubject: Re: Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread   Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread - Page 5 EmptyWed Jan 18, 2017 10:35 pm

Disappointing tactics from Adams again imo, didn't disgrace ourselves though, glad it's over, promotion is imperative. Fcuk off.
Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

PostSubject: Re: Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread   Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread - Page 5 EmptyWed Jan 18, 2017 10:53 pm

As Neil Warnock said tonight "Plymouth has great potential", totally agree Neil except it won't be realised under an owner who describes himself as a "reluctant owner".
BRENT OUT
Back to top Go down
nzgreen

nzgreen

PostSubject: Re: Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread   Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread - Page 5 EmptyWed Jan 18, 2017 11:00 pm

Lord Melbury wrote:
Good game. If this is anything to go by they should have enough for promotion.

Yep agree with that.
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

PostSubject: Re: Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread   Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread - Page 5 EmptyWed Jan 18, 2017 11:06 pm

No disgrace in losing 1-0 to Liverpool, even if it was a young reds side.

I thought the BT team were very complimentary about Argyle (except Mcmanaman), especially Warnock, who highlighted the potential of Argyle on numerous occasions.

Now it is time to forget this FA Cup run and concentrate on gaining promotion to League One.

Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

PostSubject: Re: Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread   Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread - Page 5 EmptyWed Jan 18, 2017 11:12 pm

akagreengull wrote:
Watched the post match discussion with Neil Warnock and Steven Gerrard, both said Argyle should have put Liverpool under more pressure over both legs because they looked vulnerable.
Can't believe I just saw Steven Gerrard at Home Park. I like Klopp!

Klopp is a class act. He loves English football, he told the interviewer that.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread   Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread - Page 5 EmptyWed Jan 18, 2017 11:24 pm

TREMENDOUS effort from the lads they did very well to compete with Liverpool.

now the cup run is over and the pay days have come in lets use this momentum and finally secure promotion come May.

Back to top Go down
harvetheslayer

harvetheslayer

Location : Wormwood Scrubs awaiting the imminent arrival of Johnson..

PostSubject: Re: Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread   Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread - Page 5 EmptyThu Jan 19, 2017 12:58 am

Yep we did well. Team surely with couple more additions is good enough for promotion
Back to top Go down
tigertony

tigertony

PostSubject: Re: Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread   Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread - Page 5 EmptyThu Jan 19, 2017 1:45 am

beesrus wrote:
You start out defensively with a negative attitude, and you will get what you get., and from a very average L1 standard bunch of kids plus a couple of names. Classic brand bullying where you can serve substandard coffee and still charge.
Both Warnock and Gerrard thought Argyle should have had a more positive attitude. Too right, but the great ATD/Despoti/Chat Janner knew best.
I asked Coral's for odds on which of our moaners would be the first to moan on here. Got you at 8-1.
Who is ''the great ATD/Despoti/Chat Janner'' ? Beats me.
Back to top Go down
PatDunne

PostSubject: Re: Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread   Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread - Page 5 EmptyThu Jan 19, 2017 1:55 am

tigertony wrote:
pilgrimfather wrote:
Lads did us proud tonight. Fantastic performance and excellent over both legs. Well done.
Absolutely. For Prem vs Lge 2 it was really watchable. Apart from the goal Luke wasn't really troubled and JJ's half overhead volley could have been flashing around the football world now - if only.
salute

Great cup tie, good effort Argyle, Liverpool into the fourth round, we are not, over a full Prem League season against full Prem league teams.......

edit twicw, pissed cant spell season...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread   Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread - Page 5 EmptyThu Jan 19, 2017 7:40 am

Angry wrote:
TREMENDOUS effort from the lads they did very well to compete with Liverpool.

now the cup run is over and the pay days have come in lets use this momentum and finally secure promotion come May.

This.
With bells on! afro
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread   Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread - Page 5 EmptyThu Jan 19, 2017 8:29 am

I'm bored already of all the self back slapping. Yes it was a great atmosphere. Yes we did ok and didn't embarrass ourselves. But that's all gone now. I'll remember the ticketing shambles more than the actual game. And, for a bit of perspective after all the bollocks about the biggest crowd "in a generation" at Home Park, our first season back in the CCC last time we AVERAGED 16,400.

Adams needs to ensure we don't have an 'After The Lord Mayors Show' performance at Cheltenham.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread   Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread - Page 5 EmptyThu Jan 19, 2017 8:40 am

tigertony wrote:
beesrus wrote:
I asked Coral's for odds on which of our moaners would be the first to moan on here. Got you at 8-1.
Who is ''the great ATD/Despoti/Chat Janner'' ? Beats me.

No one in particular Tony, just the parochial online archetype who thinks losing to a poor team by one goal is some sort of result. You would be one, of course. They started out looking "not to be embarrassed", and that's all they got, a night with the national media circus without being embarrassed. If I were one of Argyle's players, I would be kicking myself for having lost the rare chance to topple "Liverpool" who were plainly nothing like their real team. Sounds like Jervis is kicking himself, but maybe they're just not that good. Very little constructive football, but then I suppose this is a L2 team on a shoestring, so I shouldn't expect to see a Norris or even a Connolly. Very disjointed effort, but worthy of an open top bus ride for some.  flower
I, too, find all the backslapping rather stupid.  The crowd were pretty reasonable, and also didn't embarrass. Hey ho.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread   Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread - Page 5 EmptyThu Jan 19, 2017 8:52 am

Czarcasm wrote:
I'm bored already of all the self back slapping. Yes it was a great atmosphere. Yes we did ok and didn't embarrass ourselves. But that's all gone now. I'll remember the ticketing shambles more than the actual game. And, for a bit of perspective after all the bollocks about the biggest crowd "in a generation" at Home Park, our first season back in the CCC last time we AVERAGED 16,400.

Adams needs to ensure we don't have an 'After The Lord Mayors Show' performance at Cheltenham.
Absolutely.
Performance wise from the players on the park, we know that we've got it within to actually get out of this dog shit division (at last).
Off the field, there needs to be lessons learned, and a real meaningful investment into the infrastructure of the Ground and systems within the club.
Let's not let this opportunity go to waste.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread   Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread - Page 5 EmptyThu Jan 19, 2017 9:12 am

Given Hallett seems to think he's going to be around for some time, the club's 5 to 10 year future depends on what plans are produced for the refurb and improvements, and obviously whether it actually happens. As with the last plans, there will be no way to hide the real intent and objective of any redevelopment. Brent will want them aired publicly  on the back of promotion, so 5 months time.
As Tringreen has always said, crowds don't increase on one off games, they increase due to sustained success and a feeling the club is going somewhere. We shall see.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread   Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread - Page 5 EmptyThu Jan 19, 2017 10:41 am

pilgrimfather wrote:

Thumbs
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread   Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread - Page 5 EmptyThu Jan 19, 2017 11:24 am

Czarcasm wrote:

Well i disagree with you (the bit i highlighted) did Klopp not get given a giant pasty at the end of the game?
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

PostSubject: Re: Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread   Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread - Page 5 EmptyFri Jan 20, 2017 2:06 pm

Plymouth Argyle FC @Only1Argyle

We have programmes from Wednesday's game available in the club shop, which can be bought over the counter.
Back to top Go down
GreenSam

PostSubject: Re: Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread   Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread - Page 5 EmptySat Jan 21, 2017 1:16 am

What an evening. What a performance.

In spite of all the many huge balls-ups evident regarding people’s views that have already detailed (and that’s not to brush over them at all, I have strong views, but merely to state that I’m writing from my own perspective here), you could tell that as soon as you stepped into Home Park, the place was absolutely electric.

Fair play to the more casual fans- the vast majority of them (apart from a couple of berks behind me supporting Liverpool) rose to the occasion and made good noise in spite of not being regulars. The ‘clappers’ left on each side, whilst making me slightly cringe at first sight, were actually very effective in building up a good atmosphere. I would struggle to remember, really, the last time I’d seen all four sides on the ground bouncing during a game so to see it before kick-off was quite something. With that, the temporary seats and ‘Baby give it up’ being played over the PA system, it was like someone had teleported me back into 2008.

I wasn’t too confident after seeing the teams- our team was somewhat weaker than the first leg and theirs somewhat stronger- but I put my doubts to one side as the teams came out and the game began…and weren’t we bloody good.

Our performance was, if anything, an even better version of our performance from the first leg. We were (from open play at least) practically as tight as we were defensively and yet were a lot better going forward. We contained them when they had possession but ‘tactical transition’ was the watchword when we regained the ball from them. Our players, mainly consisting of the full-backs and the attacking midfielders would then immediately push forward up the pitch to give us an array of options. As such, we had a lot more in the way of opportunities. We nearly forced them into an own goal, Garita missed an angled chance that he could have done better with and Carey forced Karius into a fabulous diving save. I would genuinely say that, from minutes 0-75, whilst Liverpool had the balance of play, we matched them and then some in terms of creating serious chances.

Unfortunately however, our good play was punctuated by conceding a somewhat soft goal. Garita and Jervis contrived to lose Lucas Leiva who nodded home for his first goal in nearly 7 years. In terms of individual performances however, there was a lot to be positive about. Threlkeld and Purrington generally both kept shape very well in spite of the former slipping over a bit on what seemed to be a surprisingly greasy surface in spite of the lack of rain. Purrington’s distribution in particular was fantastic who came very close to setting up Garita with a fantastic cross early in the second half.

Songo’o and Bradley were as solid and reliable as ever (the disastrous penalty aside for Songo’o), both of whom were marking their men touch-tight and permitted Liverpool from getting many opportunities in open play. McCormick was very good with his hands when called upon and did well with the penalty but is marked down for his poor kicking on the night.

The best however, and not for the first time, was David Fox. He put in an absolutely sublime performance in the midfield of midfield. He intercepted the ball so many times and forced Liverpool back with his tireless pressure when the away side were in possession. As usual, he made us tick when we were in possession, at the heart of our attacking play with passing that was excellent in both accuracy and timing.

I’m seeing a lot of praise for the season Jervis is having off the back of this performance but funnily enough, I didn’t think this was one of his best nights. I agree he’s had a much better season in general but I didn’t think he was at his best against Liverpool. He kept shape very well and didn’t’ do anything drastically wrong but he could have done better to drive at the defender and whip in an early cross like he does in the league games. Particularly considering he was playing against Moreno who was not having at all a good game. Obviously Jervis wasn’t bad but I think there were other games more worthy of him having an outpouring of praise than this one.

Carey, I also disagree with the consensus on. I thought he, secondmost only to Fox, was involved deeply in the majority of our attacking play. His short first time balls kept our play moving and his awareness of how tightly he was being marked was second to none and it was particularly useful against such a physically fit side who tired us out with Klopp’s trademark gegenpressing style.

Slew started badly with some poor decisions on the ball but grew into the game very well, interlinking with Carey and Purrington for the second half and often occupying a defender to create space for other players. Garita is a funny one. He was absolutely fantastic for the first hour or so but he was blowing out of his backside after that. He also could have done better for the goal and for one of his goalscoring chances. He did more good than bad on balance but could have done better in the key moments. I wasn’t impressed with Donaldson who, whilst keeping shape well, was poor with the ball and did not look match fit. Perhaps being rushed back in, he was a victim of our recent availability crisis.

All of this fairly positive analysis goes up to about the 70th or 75th minute however, at which point we badly tired and in truth Liverpool should probably have got a second goal in that time. It’s not a criticism as such- they’re simply a side with Premier League levels of fitness when we’re in League Two. But we were running on empty for the last 15 minutes, and instead of chucking Bulvitis up front (who is tall but can’t win many headers) I’d have sooner see Adams go for the 4-4-2 system that worked well as an impact-change in December, only with Slew and Rooney up front as opposed to Garita and Goodwillie. Tanner generally did well keeping the pressure levels up and keeping the ball moving. Rooney skinned Lucas when he first came on but didn't really get into it after that.

Overall though, a great night for PAFC and one that will live long in the memory of me and many others.

21 cup finals. Let’s get promoted.

McCormick-7

Threlkeld-8
Songo’o-8
Bradley-8
Purrington-8

Fox-9 MOTM
Donaldson-5
Carey-8

Jervis-6
Garita-7
Slew-6

Tanner-7
Rooney-5
Bulvitis-3(but not really his fault)
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread   Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread - Page 5 Empty

Back to top Go down

Plymouth Argyle v Liverpool Match thread
Page 5 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next