Cornish Chris
VillageGreen
14 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

Brent targets promotion next season Empty
PostSubject: Brent targets promotion next season   Brent targets promotion next season EmptyTue May 19, 2015 8:51 am

James Brent is targeting promotion next season and is hoping Argyle will be in the top seven and fighting to go up.

Brent believes the playing budget for 2015/16 will not be restrictive to the Pilgrims' chances of achieving that aim.

Brent told Herald Sport: "Whatever the outcome this season it was a point on a journey. We had hoped we would be in League One, but we are not.

"What we need to do is to enhance the team to put us in the best possible position to win promotion, ideally automatically, next year. That has got to be the aspiration of the club.

"I don't think the budget has been a constraining factor this year.

"If the manager believes we need to invest more to achieve promotion then that's clearly something the board will look at."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brent targets promotion next season   Brent targets promotion next season EmptyTue May 19, 2015 9:13 am

Well I am convinced. Promotion it is then!
Back to top Go down
Cornish Chris

Cornish Chris

PostSubject: Re: Brent targets promotion next season   Brent targets promotion next season EmptyTue May 19, 2015 9:28 am

"Mr Chairman, can I have some more money to invest in the playing squad?"

"No."

Herald headline: "Brent in talks with manager over increased transfer funds!"
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

PostSubject: Re: Brent targets promotion next season   Brent targets promotion next season EmptyTue May 19, 2015 9:32 am

Frank Bullitt wrote:
Well I am convinced. Promotion it is then!

JB putting it out there so early too, that is some intent.

I take it that JS must be staying on then.

Back to top Go down
SwimWithTheTide

SwimWithTheTide

PostSubject: Re: Brent targets promotion next season   Brent targets promotion next season EmptyTue May 19, 2015 9:37 am

Like I said on the other thread, Brent talks a lot but says nothing.
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

PostSubject: Re: Brent targets promotion next season   Brent targets promotion next season EmptyTue May 19, 2015 9:39 am

Cornish Chris wrote:
"Mr Chairman, can I have some more money to invest in the playing squad?"

"No."

Herald headline: "Brent in talks with manager over increased transfer funds!"

That will be an interesting conversation when it actually takes place in the next couple of weeks or so.

Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

PostSubject: Re: Brent targets promotion next season   Brent targets promotion next season EmptyTue May 19, 2015 9:45 am

SwimWithTheTide wrote:

He will have to put his money where his mouth is this time or there will be discontent among the ranks.

Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Brent targets promotion next season   Brent targets promotion next season EmptyTue May 19, 2015 9:58 am

This is Brent getting his excuses in early, isn't it?

Essentially the 5YP is on course, so he says. "Mid-table last year, play-offs this, promotion next" is what it boils down to. Which as far as it goes is fine.

There's the stuff about the budget not being an issue and targets being met this year. That translates as "not my fault - I put enough money up" which stops short of explicitly being critical of Sheridan even if implicitly it is.

What it means is that Brent required our manager to not only hit target but also to over-achieve to get promoted this year...

Is that a strategy likely to succeed in the longer term?

I think we all know the answer to that one.

I've often read the accusation that we "don't want to be promoted" which is laughable on the face of it but it's obvious we have hardly targeted "going up" as a#1 priority so is it any wonder that ultimately we didn't?

Maybe Sheridan really has been fighting with one arm behind his back and maybe we really should be acclaiming in true Avivaesque fashion the mighty achievements of the the Class of 2015?

In the words of Public Enemey "it takes a nation of millions to hold us back" or, in our case, just an owner with inadequate plans for the club.

Every season we spend in this division represents abject failure and until that message sinks in, and it clearly hasn't yet, I fear little will change.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
SwimWithTheTide

SwimWithTheTide

PostSubject: Re: Brent targets promotion next season   Brent targets promotion next season EmptyTue May 19, 2015 10:26 am

VillageGreen wrote:
SwimWithTheTide wrote:

He will have to put his money where his mouth is this time or there will be discontent among the ranks.

But he's not really stated anything to put his money to. Its not, "we're aiming for automatics", its "ideally automatics". Ideally Messi and Ronaldo sign for us this summer, but ideally ain't a stated claim of ambition. As Mis said on the other thread, the calibre of players recruited will be an indication of our true ambition.
Back to top Go down
Josh Pope

PostSubject: Re: Brent targets promotion next season   Brent targets promotion next season EmptyTue May 19, 2015 10:28 am

Of course, but there's few plans for promotion we need yet.

i would dismiss sheridan,mccarthy,harbin and wilmot,i would not have a second goalie as luke is excellent.i would alter the captaincy to a vociferous player(like wotton was),i want to see our players already at the club given a chance.i would have brunt up front to begin with next season with reuben on stand by on the bench,i would partner brunt with tyler harvey(the most natural player at the club in my opinion,he will score loads of goals playing up front)if alessandra leaves,which i sincerely hope he does we need a proper winger to replace him.i would also insist on all players and management staff live within a 20 mile radius of the club.i would also insist that the players train morning and afternoon and the management staff along with mr. starnes arrange friendly/behind closed doors matches for all fringe and returning players.i would also add that we have a manager and assistant with wotton learning off these two.
Back to top Go down
PlymptonPilgrim
Admin
PlymptonPilgrim

PostSubject: Re: Brent targets promotion next season   Brent targets promotion next season EmptyTue May 19, 2015 10:48 am

He doesn't actually inspire much confidence in the fanbase does he?

Of course the budget was a constraining factor. Does he really expect us to believe that? Some will obviously, and some will be told to believe it, but it was clear to anyone with a brain cell that the player shopping was car boot sales rather than anywhere half decent.

Just no vision, no plan, no money, no feckin idea.

God, I'm grumpy this morning.
Back to top Go down
Cornish Chris

Cornish Chris

PostSubject: Re: Brent targets promotion next season   Brent targets promotion next season EmptyTue May 19, 2015 10:56 am

We're just bobbing along aren't we?

We might get promoted into League 1 one day. Anyone could. This is such a dogshite league that you can do it without much of a plan - Sheridan's done it before.

But the idea that we might string five seasons in the Championship together again, under this ownership, is laughable.

And it shouldn't be. How many seasons have we had at that level over the course of our history? 30? 40?

The fact is we now look thoroughly at home at this level. Give it another four or five seasons and we'll be averaging 3,500 fans a week, and we'll be indistinguishable from every other club down here.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Brent targets promotion next season   Brent targets promotion next season EmptyTue May 19, 2015 11:55 am

And if we accept it as true that "Brent targets promotion next season" the question left begging is why didn't he do that last season?
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Brent targets promotion next season   Brent targets promotion next season EmptyTue May 19, 2015 11:57 am

SwimWithTheTide wrote:

You can say that again............ Wink
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Brent targets promotion next season   Brent targets promotion next season EmptyTue May 19, 2015 12:00 pm

Paven wrote:

i would dismiss sheridan,mccarthy,harbin and wilmot,i would not have a second goalie as luke is excellent.i would alter the captaincy to a vociferous player(like wotton was),i want to see our players already at the club given a chance.i would have brunt up front to begin with next season with reuben on stand by on the bench,i would partner brunt with tyler harvey(the most natural player at the club in my opinion,he will score loads of goals playing up front)if alessandra leaves,which i sincerely hope he does we need a proper winger to replace him.i would also insist on all players and management staff live within a 20 mile radius of the club.i would also insist that the players train morning and afternoon and the management staff along with mr. starnes arrange friendly/behind closed doors matches for all fringe and returning players.i would also add that we have a manager and assistant with wotton learning off these two.

Oh dear................enjoy the ride.
Back to top Go down
Dougie

Dougie

PostSubject: Re: Brent targets promotion next season   Brent targets promotion next season EmptyTue May 19, 2015 12:49 pm

Apart from anything else there isn't that much logic in thinking promotion follows a playoff achieving season. A quick look at the past few seasons final league tables shows it's a quite rare feat.
Back to top Go down
Josh Pope

PostSubject: Re: Brent targets promotion next season   Brent targets promotion next season EmptyTue May 19, 2015 12:49 pm

Tringreen wrote:
Paven wrote:

Oh dear................enjoy the ride.

Steve Evans on Pasoti Tring, classic! cheers
Back to top Go down
gasser9

PostSubject: Re: Brent targets promotion next season   Brent targets promotion next season EmptyTue May 19, 2015 1:10 pm

Paven wrote:

I will gladly eat your hat (Peppermint Aero please) if Brunt and Harvey as a pairing are anywhere near as good as Alessandra and Reid.
Back to top Go down
Cornish Chris

Cornish Chris

PostSubject: Re: Brent targets promotion next season   Brent targets promotion next season EmptyTue May 19, 2015 1:33 pm

Is that Steve the Gym?

I'm always surprised he hasn't (?) fetched up here.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Brent targets promotion next season   Brent targets promotion next season EmptyTue May 19, 2015 1:41 pm

Cornish Chris wrote:
Is that Steve the Gym?

Please God forbid. What a Face
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brent targets promotion next season   Brent targets promotion next season EmptyTue May 19, 2015 2:18 pm

He will sell the fine china and charge Tupperware prices and give half of it to the manager.
Back to top Go down
Josh Pope

PostSubject: Re: Brent targets promotion next season   Brent targets promotion next season EmptyTue May 19, 2015 2:55 pm

Greenskin wrote:
Cornish Chris wrote:
Is that Steve the Gym?

Please God forbid. What a Face

Yes Chris - though it seems not everyone has noticed!!

Classic Steve, hope he turns up here I really do. He gets bad enough reception over there I hate to think what he'd get for saying things like that on this site! cheers
Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

PostSubject: Re: Brent targets promotion next season   Brent targets promotion next season EmptyTue May 19, 2015 5:17 pm

Sir Francis Drake wrote:
And if we accept it as true that "Brent targets promotion next season" the question left begging is why didn't he do that last season?
Totally agree, he was missing in action when it came to inspiring the fans or making statemets of intent re pushing for promotion - the man is full of shit.
Loved his comment last week on radio Devon re replacing the Mayflower "don't know when or how we will build a new stand" (but it remains the boards intent).
Of course Sheridan will stay barring him getting a new job himself, these comments from Brent are just trying to placate an increasingly disillusioned fanbase.
deadhorse
Back to top Go down
Gutless

PostSubject: Re: Brent targets promotion next season   Brent targets promotion next season EmptyTue May 19, 2015 5:26 pm

You lot never attend anyway, so why do you care, atall?
Back to top Go down
Josh Pope

PostSubject: Re: Brent targets promotion next season   Brent targets promotion next season EmptyTue May 19, 2015 5:28 pm

Gutless wrote:
You lot never attend anyway, so why do you care, atall?

35 games this season for me!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brent targets promotion next season   Brent targets promotion next season Empty

Back to top Go down

Brent targets promotion next season
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next