Les Miserable
Tgwu
24 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
AstiSpumante

AstiSpumante

Wimbledon match thread - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Wimbledon match thread   Wimbledon match thread - Page 4 EmptyTue Apr 14, 2015 11:28 pm

As others have said, after a slow start it turned into an exciting encounter with Argyle just edging it IMO after a much improved 2nd half performance, credit to Wimbledon, they too looked dangerous at times and could've nicked it but for a world class save from Luke near the end. Holmes-Dennis looks a shadow of his first couple appearances, Reuben is clearly unfit, Blizzard can't run, Lewi is wasteful in front of goal, Nelson looked a bit shaky on his return, Hartley and McHugh were solid, Jones did OK, O'connor was excellent as ever, scored our goal and is consistently good but like Miserable Les I'm giving Bobby Reid MOM, a vastly improved performance from him. We just need to try to get over the finish line before the last game at Shrewbury, my nerves can't take us needing a result there FFS !!
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

PostSubject: Re: Wimbledon match thread   Wimbledon match thread - Page 4 EmptyWed Apr 15, 2015 12:47 am

It'd be really handy to win the next game or two so we can rest Reubs for the playoffs.
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/
Elias

Elias

PostSubject: Re: Wimbledon match thread   Wimbledon match thread - Page 4 EmptyWed Apr 15, 2015 2:20 am

tigertony wrote:
C'mon guys cheer up FFS. Only 1 team can stop Argyle getting in the play-offs ..... Argyle! Yes I know - Argyle are trying so hard to crack that nut or so it seems. So the good news is:
- Excretia are almost out of it in reality
- Last game of the season is Luton vs Stevenage
- Exeter and Luton have to play Saffend yet.
So 2 wins and we are in the play-offs barring some goal fests somewhere. 4 points may well do it. It could be over on Saturday if we win and Luton, Newport lose and Excretia don't win. Stop being so negative about it.

There - all smiling now. cheers

Im going saturday - my record this season p4 w0 d1 l3 f0 a4.

Oh dear
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Wimbledon match thread   Wimbledon match thread - Page 4 EmptyWed Apr 15, 2015 8:45 am

I was surprised with how 'up for it' Wimbledon were, bar their keeper who was a time wasting disgrace.

Is Jones available for the playoffs? He had a couple of spells where he pissed past the fullback and got decent crosses in. His pedigree is markedly higher than league2, which is a big plus.

2nd half far more attacking intent and a glut of chances were created and wasted, which ultimately cost us.

I reckon 4 points from the next two games will see us not having to sweat it out at Shrewsbury.
Back to top Go down
Cornish Chris

Cornish Chris

PostSubject: Re: Wimbledon match thread   Wimbledon match thread - Page 4 EmptyWed Apr 15, 2015 9:06 am

If we can't get two wins out of Carlisle and Tranmere, we aren't good enough to go up.

I wonder if we'll be the team to send Tranmere into non-league? It ain't looking good...

Assuming we don't go up, I'm trying to decide who I want to be promoted from the Conference. I'd like to see the Gas back in the Football League - a nice easy away day, and much easier to get to than Barnet. Playing League games against Eastleigh or Forest Green would be too depressing to contemplate, so I'm hoping that Macclesfield (who I used to work for many years ago) come up through the playoffs.
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

PostSubject: Re: Wimbledon match thread   Wimbledon match thread - Page 4 EmptyWed Apr 15, 2015 1:55 pm

Cornish Chris wrote:
If we can't get two wins out of Carlisle and Tranmere, we aren't good enough to go up.

They're both fighting for survival in the football league and will be difficult opponents. We aren't good enough to just turn up and expect to beat teams like this but we are good enough to go up..............just!
Back to top Go down
Josh Pope

PostSubject: Re: Wimbledon match thread   Wimbledon match thread - Page 4 EmptyWed Apr 15, 2015 3:39 pm

Knowing Argyle we'll lose to both Carlisle and Tranmere and then walk all over Shrewsbury.

Still, it's in our hands and with the superior goal difference I'd be extremely annoyed if we didn't make the play-offs now. We just have to win the next two games, and we know we're good enough, it's just whether we'll step up to the moment. I imagine Carlisle will be safe (just about) but can see Tranmere definitely going down.

Of course all this is thought on the premise the teams directly below us win all of their last 3 games, which isn't very likely, is it? 3 match winning streaks tend to be rare, especially at this stage. Just hope we can catch 6th really because I'd much rather face Southend or Stevenage than I would Bury or Wycombe.

As for last night.. Well, I've been very critical of Shez but there comes a point when players need to step up to the mark. Last night they played pretty well but the finishing was diabolical. Alessandra is going to be our second top goalscorer and he has all the finishing ability of a pregnant sheep, how he missed that chance at the end I don't know.

Anyway, onto Carlisle.. Why am I going again? Still not sure..!
Back to top Go down
AstiSpumante

AstiSpumante

PostSubject: Re: Wimbledon match thread   Wimbledon match thread - Page 4 EmptyWed Apr 15, 2015 5:10 pm

Because you've got more time on your hands now ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wimbledon match thread   Wimbledon match thread - Page 4 EmptyWed Apr 15, 2015 5:11 pm

A point at Carlisle.

3 points against Tranmere. Take Reuben off as soon as possible and rest him.

Use Shrewsbury as s rotation game. Bobby, Alessandra, O'Connor, Hartley RESTED.

This has to be the plan! cheers
Back to top Go down
Josh Pope

PostSubject: Re: Wimbledon match thread   Wimbledon match thread - Page 4 EmptyWed Apr 15, 2015 5:13 pm

AstiSpumante wrote:
Because you've got more time on your hands now ?

Bought the tickets about a month ago.
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

PostSubject: Re: Wimbledon match thread   Wimbledon match thread - Page 4 EmptyWed Apr 15, 2015 7:59 pm

ejh wrote:
A point at Carlisle.

3 points against Tranmere. Take Reuben off as soon as possible and rest him.

Use Shrewsbury as s rotation game. Bobby, Alessandra, O'Connor, Hartley RESTED.

This has to be the plan! cheers

I do not think four points will be enough, Argyle really need the six. I see Newport as the only real threat due to the easy run in they have, if they win all three then they will have 71 points, exactly the same as what Luton can get should they win the final three. Luton do not have an easy run in though and are highly likely not to secure enough points to Pip Argyle [or possibly Newport]

In an ideal world, Argyle would win on Saturday, while Luton and Newport lose [or draw]. That would be job done.

I did find this from weareexiles amusing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Wimbledon match thread   Wimbledon match thread - Page 4 EmptyThu Apr 16, 2015 1:16 pm

If you don't see 4 points as being enough, you are predicting 3 wins in a row from the teams below us?
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

PostSubject: Re: Wimbledon match thread   Wimbledon match thread - Page 4 EmptyThu Apr 16, 2015 6:59 pm

ejh wrote:
If you don't see 4 points as being enough, you are predicting 3 wins in a row from the teams below us?

It is possible, especially for Newport. Luton not so much, but you can never say never.

If Argyle draw on Saturday and the other two win, you then have Argyle on 66, Luton on 65 and Newport on 65.

Going into the next games, If Argyle win and Newport win, then it is 69 and 68. If Luton lose, then they are out of the race.

Going into the final game and it is advantage Newport, as i can't see Argyle winning at the Shrews. If Newport win, then they will take the final PO spot on 71 instead of Argyle.

The above is just one scenario from a few.

Like i have said elsewhere, i see Newport as the real and present threat. The three games that Newport have left are winnable on paper.

The below is from Andrew Owen on PASOTI.

''Newport (D&R H, York A, Oxford H) lucky bar stewards have three dead rubbers to face. York have suddenly decided to show up, winning four from five. The other two are just bimbling along. Newport themselves only have two wins in ten. They seem a bit like us - capable of beating anyone, capable of shitting the bed at the worst possible time. They might get four points which might be enough to take us down, but their form and inconsistency makes it unlikely''.

Wrong to suggest that Newport have no chance as it could leave many with egg on the face.

Whether Newport are up for the fight is another question, but they will know what they have got to do, as do Argyle and Luton.

Last edited by VillageGreen on Thu Apr 16, 2015 7:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Wimbledon match thread   Wimbledon match thread - Page 4 EmptyThu Apr 16, 2015 7:47 pm

ejh wrote:

I'm with ejh on this one. I don't think either Luton or Newport will win their last 3 although, of course, anything is possible and they might.

Either way let's just bat 'em out of it and win our last 6 games, eh? Sorted.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
pepsipete

pepsipete

PostSubject: Re: Wimbledon match thread   Wimbledon match thread - Page 4 EmptyThu Apr 16, 2015 8:12 pm

Bit late to win our last six, but I know what you mean.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Wimbledon match thread   Wimbledon match thread - Page 4 EmptyThu Apr 16, 2015 8:39 pm

Last 6 = Carlisle, Tranmere, Shrewsbury, PO1, PO2, Wembley. Innit.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
tigertony

tigertony

PostSubject: Re: Wimbledon match thread   Wimbledon match thread - Page 4 EmptyThu Apr 16, 2015 10:31 pm

VillageGreen wrote:
ejh wrote:
The other two are just bimbling along. Newport themselves only have two wins in ten. They seem a bit like us - capable of beating anyone, capable of shitting the bed at the worst possible time. They might get four points which might be enough to take us down, but their form and inconsistency makes it unlikely''.[/i]

Wrong to suggest that Newport have no chance as it could leave many with egg on the face.

Whether Newport are up for the fight is another question, but they will know what they have got to do, as do Argyle and Luton.
So were Wimbledon but they were up for it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Wimbledon match thread   Wimbledon match thread - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Wimbledon match thread
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4