Cornish Chris
seadog
Elias
27 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Dick Trickle

RIP Tyhee Slim - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: RIP Tyhee Slim   RIP Tyhee Slim - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 28, 2015 8:15 pm

Only knew him through his long and often very entertaining posts.

Wish I could simply "like" Peggy's post.
Back to top Go down
Hitch

PostSubject: Re: RIP Tyhee Slim   RIP Tyhee Slim - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 28, 2015 8:29 pm

I don't think he ever failed once to get the crowd going with Sweet Molly Malone when he was at games. Tremendous character. Hadn't spoken to him for quite a few months - I wish I had. But I've just been trawling through all the emails he sent and messenger chat archive over the years - so dry and funny, so observant, so worldly, so mischievous too. Bollox.
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: RIP Tyhee Slim   RIP Tyhee Slim - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 28, 2015 9:18 pm

RIP Tyhee and condolences to his Family and Friends.

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  affraid

Now an officially semi retired old fart! bounce
Back to top Go down
bjorn_yesterday

bjorn_yesterday

PostSubject: Re: RIP Tyhee Slim   RIP Tyhee Slim - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 28, 2015 9:34 pm

Peggy wrote:
Terrible news - I had a message earlier and have spent the last couple of hours thinking about how much we've lost. I had the great pleasure of knowing Neil in real life, and he was one of the best, just as articulate and funny as he was on the net, and a great musician to boot. It's tragic that the cancer struck just as he'd finally got to pursue his dream of going to university; he'd always thought it wasn't for "the likes of" him (a phrase he often used), but was persuaded to give it a go and was loving it. I think he completed his first year.

Even while he was fighting the cancer, he was still making us all laugh, and still had time to think of others: I won't forget the lovely message he sent me when my Mum died.

Rest in peace, fella, and love to Jane, Richard and the rest of the family xx

Nice words Peggy. I didn't know Slim but I almost felt I knew something of the man through his erudite and thoughtful posts on P@SOTI. One of the (fewer and fewer) people whose posts ALWAYS had to be read.

RIP Slim and condolences to your family & friends.
Back to top Go down
shonbo

shonbo

PostSubject: Re: RIP Tyhee Slim   RIP Tyhee Slim - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 28, 2015 10:47 pm

RIP Jelly
Back to top Go down
Rickler

Rickler

PostSubject: Re: RIP Tyhee Slim   RIP Tyhee Slim - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 28, 2015 11:39 pm

Woke up today and saw this news before I had even seen we had won against Cheltenham.   Major Bummer!

I can only echo what others have said...

I too had the pleasure of meeting Neil in August 2006 and have kept in pretty good contact ever since...  The Argyle ‘net’ world, has lost one of its most sharp, witty, insightful and illuminating writers.  The great thing about Tyhee was that in real life he was a good listener, and much more interested in what you had to say, than in putting his own view across...  

We often talked about books.  I turned him onto “Travels with Charley” which he thanked me profusely for...  We both have a pretty comprehensive Argyle collection, but he had one Argyle ‘booklet’ that I don’t have, and I will be forever jealous!  

As for posting on ATD...   I am 99% sure he never ever did it.  I got him to sign up (Cornelio) and cajoled him several times to post, but he never did?

No doubt Neil would have had great things to say about the irony of Newell jumping right on the Bandwagon by starting the pasoti sympathy thread to announce Tyhee’s passing.  If Newell really wants to pay homage to Tyhee, then he should put up his mural at Home Park!  His contributions to ‘saving’ Argyle make him truly worthy!

My homage is this...

I don’t think Tyhee’s cautionary tale, “The Ghosts of Saturday” recorded with Jelly Roll Jackson & The Boogie Kings has been available on the web before?  

I uploaded it today and it's available here:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xgs-R3VFtbY

I’ll miss him...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: RIP Tyhee Slim   RIP Tyhee Slim - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 28, 2015 11:46 pm

According to Newell, Tyhee was a 'pinkoe' at least he had the decency to not stick around on that thread. Postey on the other hand....
Back to top Go down
GreenSam

PostSubject: Re: RIP Tyhee Slim   RIP Tyhee Slim - Page 2 EmptySat Mar 28, 2015 11:55 pm

Truly horrible news. Puts so much into perspective. RIP.
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

PostSubject: Re: RIP Tyhee Slim   RIP Tyhee Slim - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 29, 2015 12:55 am

Rickler wrote:
Woke up today and saw this news before I had even seen we had won against Cheltenham.   Major Bummer!

I too had the pleasure of meeting Neil in August 2006 and have kept in pretty good contact ever since...  The Argyle ‘net’ world, has lost one of its most sharp, witty, insightful and illuminating writers.  The great thing about Tyhee was that in real life he was a good listener, and much more interested in what you had to say, than in putting his own view across...  

We often talked about books.  I turned him onto “Travels with Charley” which he thanked me profusely for...  We both have a pretty comprehensive Argyle collection, but he had one Argyle ‘booklet’ that I don’t have, and I will be forever jealous!  

As for posting on ATD...   I am 99% sure he never ever did it.  I got him to sign up (Cornelio) and cajoled him several times to post, but he never did?

No doubt Neil would have had great things to say about the irony of Newell jumping right on the Bandwagon by starting the pasoti sympathy thread to announce Tyhee’s passing.  If Newell really wants to pay homage to Tyhee, then he should put up his mural at Home Park!  His contributions to ‘saving’ Argyle make him truly worthy!

My homage is this...

I don’t think Tyhee’s cautionary tale, “The Ghosts of Saturday” recorded with Jelly Roll Jackson & The Boogie Kings has been available on the web before?  

I’ll miss him...

That is one cool record, cheers.
Back to top Go down
Rickler

Rickler

PostSubject: Re: RIP Tyhee Slim   RIP Tyhee Slim - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 29, 2015 12:57 am

Hugh Watt wrote:
According to Newell, Tyhee was a 'pinkoe' at least he had the decency to not stick around on that thread. Postey on the other hand....

Lol.. http://www.pasoti.co.uk/talk/viewtopic.php?f=30&t=88240&start=78

Posty and Newell would have heart attacks if they know who was hosting (The Lone Groover) the "Ghosts of Saturday" link....
Back to top Go down
Richard Blight

Richard Blight

PostSubject: Re: RIP Tyhee Slim   RIP Tyhee Slim - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 29, 2015 12:58 am

My condolences to Tyhee's family and friends.

Thanks to Rick's for uploading " The Ghosts of Saturday" for those of us who have never heard it before.
Back to top Go down
Dick Trickle

PostSubject: Re: RIP Tyhee Slim   RIP Tyhee Slim - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 29, 2015 7:56 am

Cheers Ricks. Bought the CD originally at Barnet away I think. Great Janner voice and a great record.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: RIP Tyhee Slim   RIP Tyhee Slim - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 29, 2015 8:04 am

Ten minutes before I heard the news I'd just pulled into my driveway as I was listening to some Hazmat Modine a band that Slim had turned me onto, pretty off the wall but good, good music. We often chatted about music and he also personally knew Prince Fatty (who I am a massive fan of also) who he described as "the coolest cat in Christendom."
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: RIP Tyhee Slim   RIP Tyhee Slim - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 29, 2015 8:17 am

Rickler wrote:

My homage is this...

I’ll miss him...

It's been suggested on pbay that the ghosts of Saturdays is played in tribute for him at half time at our next home game, I agree it would be fitting but I think that the point of the song is being missed, something along the lines of "protecting small clubs from megalomaniacs and property developers," if they do play it I sure there will be a big feck off grin on his face about the irony.
Back to top Go down
green_genie

green_genie

PostSubject: Re: RIP Tyhee Slim   RIP Tyhee Slim - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 29, 2015 8:39 am

I wonder if the gert bag of CD's he used to tout around The Brit to bemusement of "non-internet" Green Army is still in his loft?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: RIP Tyhee Slim   RIP Tyhee Slim - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 29, 2015 8:40 am

As  I posted earlier. He sure was a gifted musician. There's a few YT videos of TS. Here's a good one of him playing some blues harmonica and vocals.

Back to top Go down
Chemical Ali

PostSubject: Re: RIP Tyhee Slim   RIP Tyhee Slim - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 29, 2015 10:18 am

Very sad news. I met him years ago and he was a brilliant character. I always enjoyed his posts on pasoti, such a shame he wad taken so young. RIP Slim
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: RIP Tyhee Slim   RIP Tyhee Slim - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 29, 2015 10:46 am

Hugh Watt wrote:
Sad news, a good poster called a pinkoe by Nool which should make alright in anyone's book

Absolutely........ Je suis Pinko !
Back to top Go down
sufferedsince 68

sufferedsince 68

PostSubject: Re: RIP Tyhee Slim   RIP Tyhee Slim - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 29, 2015 11:39 am

Tringreen wrote:
Hugh Watt wrote:
Sad news, a good poster called a pinkoe by Nool which should make alright in anyone's book

Absolutely........ Je suis Pinko !

Probably another Weirdo freak, who was not part of Nools very small fanclub.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: RIP Tyhee Slim   RIP Tyhee Slim - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 29, 2015 12:13 pm

Easily my favourite poster, very witty and totally understood the Argyle syndrome.

RIP Tyhee Slim
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: RIP Tyhee Slim   RIP Tyhee Slim - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 29, 2015 1:24 pm

One of the very best posters I have had the privilege of reading following Argyle.

He was something of a professor when it came to educating everyone else about the lack of ambition and failed potential at PAFC. You could not help but take a chair and listen to his long, articulate and erudite posts.

I am not sure if it was health issues which prevented him posting in recent years, but I had always assumed he admitted defeat with the bully boys on the farm and refused to post there on principle. Not that he ever had any problems tying Newell around in circles with logic and wit when the occasion required.

RIP Slim.
Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

PostSubject: Re: RIP Tyhee Slim   RIP Tyhee Slim - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 29, 2015 3:34 pm

would love to hear the ghosts of saturday at home park but it was an attack on argyle being a mid road 4th division club going nowhere. take note brent!!!!!!

must admit think the last time i saw him was 2010 maybe even before that, i had no idea he was ill and just thought he'd given up on argyle for the time being.
i still chuckle to remember him having a row with someone at lincoln on a cold tues night 1999? that argyle were shit and was cheesed off as a result, someone told him to 'support the team' just after the 3rd goal went in............yike !
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: RIP Tyhee Slim   RIP Tyhee Slim - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 29, 2015 6:34 pm

ejh wrote:
One of the very best posters I have had the privilege of reading following Argyle.

He was something of a professor when it came to educating everyone else about the lack of ambition and failed potential at PAFC. You could not help but take a chair and listen to his long, articulate and erudite posts.

I am not sure if it was health issues which prevented him posting in recent years, but I had always assumed he admitted defeat with the bully boys on the farm and refused to post there on principle. Not that he ever had any problems tying Newell around in circles with logic and wit when the occasion required.

RIP Slim.

He didn't actually stop posting totally but confined himself to Terraces, the Football forum and Opinions, with just the odd foray on to the main board. Probably had enough of going around in circles ultimately in trying to get his realistic and perceptive Argyle views across.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: RIP Tyhee Slim   RIP Tyhee Slim - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 29, 2015 8:05 pm

I think Slim had become disillusioned about the whole football circus from the lack of standing at grounds, the smoking ban, the regularly boorish behavior from some who attend, the greed that prevails throughout the game, the expense involved, the way football treats its fans on both a sweeping scale and in the particular, the "branding" of clubs, facepainted fans, grown men in football shirts and, and especially and, jester hats. And it is hard not to have at least some sympathy with those views but for him the whole "matchday experience" was one no longer worth pursuing and when he did take in a match, which was very unusual, if he did at all, over the last year or two, it was really more on a social basis to catch up with buddies than as a committed fan. I don't think he really considered that he had left "football" but rather that it had left him but he would have recognised that the distinction made no practical difference.

One thing is certain: he never "admitted defeat at the hands of the bully boys" (perish the very thought). He probably rarely commented on club matters because, quite simply, he didn't recognise the club as "his" any longer - another point of view it is hard not to have some sympathy with.

As others have observed already his intelligence, wit, integrity and sheer bloody provocative cussedness will be sadly missed.

A man who was singularly unaware of the wider impact of his own innate greatness.

We could do with many more like him but there will never be another.

I don't think he'd've been one for the maudlin stuff, though, so let us all celebrate the man and his impact rather than mourn his passing.

S'long, Slim - and thanks because, whether you thought you did or not, you made a difference.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com

PostSubject: Re: RIP Tyhee Slim   RIP Tyhee Slim - Page 2 EmptySun Mar 29, 2015 8:11 pm

I think he realised that there was more to life and got detached from it all. I knew him a little bit in REAL life, he could be pompous at times and pessimistic too but what you saw was truly what you got. I was gutted when I found out and I hate grief tourism, He was a good man and a genuine one too.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: RIP Tyhee Slim   RIP Tyhee Slim - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

RIP Tyhee Slim
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next