seadog
akagreengull
Elias
Ken Adams
8 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

Reality/ shit.... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Reality/ shit....   Reality/ shit.... - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 22, 2014 8:23 am

Tringreen wrote:
confused  I thought it was a reference to the janner accent and how Argyle is pronounced by the yokels who live near the sea.

Indeed, in much the same way as Plimuff.

A guide is here but not for the faint hearted all those who dislike swearing (you have been warned)

A guide to being a janner
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Reality/ shit....   Reality/ shit.... - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 22, 2014 8:32 am

Ha ha ha !

Quote:

SUMMARY

These are the three basic steps to becoming the “COMPLETE JANNER”, but remember that real Janners are born that way following generations of Janners before them. If you are having problems with any of the skills of Janner, DO NOT WORRY! Just follow these basic rules:

VIOLENCE IS VERY IMPORTANT, THE MORE THE BETTER,

BE RACIST AND SEXIST AT EVERY OPPORTUNITY,

SOUND AS STUPID AS HUMANLY POSSIBLE AT ALL TIMES,

ONLY BREED WITH OTHER JANNERS TO KEEP THE BLOODLINE PURE.

Geddon. jocolor 
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Reality/ shit....   Reality/ shit.... - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 22, 2014 8:33 am

The male “JANNERDANCE” takes slightly more practice, as you will need to learn to dance whilst blocking out all music and rhythm within earshot. To start with a Walkman can be worn into the club to give the illusion of no rhythm. Feet only need to be moved slightly, or maybe one in front of the other (like walking on the spot, slowly). Then, one arm with clenched fist or straight hand (depending whether the music if “TRANCE” or “CHART”) should be flicked out randomly upwards and outwards and then back to the side of the body. The other arm should stay at your side. This move can be repeated with both arms in variation, but remember, this MUST BE IN TIME WITH THE MUSIC, or the other Janners will see this an accuse you of dancing like a “FOCKIN’ POFF”, or homosexual. Remember, whilst dancing, the mouth must be left open at all times. Biting the bottom lip while exposing the top teeth is optional.

lol! lol!

The 'Argo' thing is sort of referenced here....

Words that end with “BLE” will now end “BOW”. For example, the word “HORRIBLE” becomes “ORRIBOW” etc.

Only difference being 'gyle' becomes 'go'

Last edited by Czarcasm on Wed Jan 22, 2014 8:39 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Reality/ shit....   Reality/ shit.... - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 22, 2014 8:37 am

Ha ha ! horrible becomes horribow............ thus Argyle becomes Argow ?
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Reality/ shit....   Reality/ shit.... - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 22, 2014 8:41 am

Tringreen wrote:
Ha ha ! horrible becomes horribow............ thus Argyle becomes Argow ?

Yep, see me edit above bhey, innit.  Laughing 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Reality/ shit....   Reality/ shit.... - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 22, 2014 9:40 am

So, it's an internet thing.  Thought it might be.  
I've heard a lot of Arrrrgols in the city, plenty of those still, but often from older folk, but can't say I've noticed the Argo thing. Maybe it's an impression gained from outside the city. I do know many youngsters in cities/big towns have always delighted in thickening certain sounds, a young animal thing I guess related to the well worn grunt, and if anything I've detected a more common nationwide behaviour and patwa developing where youngsters accents across the whole South are slowly blurring  into one, and away from the regional. Funnily enough, Radio 4 are, as I speak, discussing accents and  how such cross fertilisation is happening. One strange fertilisation apparently has been posh public school kids taking to a Jamaican vowel and intonation thing. Maybe this Argow thing comes from London as they have always had difficulty getting their mouths around most vowels, if the BBC Eastenders is to be taken at face value.

Anyway, if I've got this right then, elbow is where Napoleon went. I've learned something today. flower
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Reality/ shit....   Reality/ shit.... - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 22, 2014 9:55 am

It's not an internet thing. I'm sure a fairly large majority will be familiar with the question...

"Goin' Argo tonight?"

It's purely an accent thing Penz. The 'Gyle' part of Argyle rhymes with while. Not too many people I know actually talk like that when in general convo.

When James Brent pronounces it, yeah, it rhymes with while. When the majority of proper janner Plymothians pronounce it, it just tails off (probably lazily, if you like) to 'go'.

Simple as that really.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Reality/ shit....   Reality/ shit.... - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 22, 2014 10:09 am

Its an accent thing, we cant ponounce L sounds at the end of sentences, Argo scored a Go'. Om goin up Pevro later then Onickno. Yet we also put an S on things 'Om goin Asdas'. Sure there was a something on the internet yonks ago about it all
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Reality/ shit....   Reality/ shit.... - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 22, 2014 10:18 am

Obviously , I don't mix with enough Janners then, Czarky. clown 
Well west of the Tamar, the gyle also rhymes with while, and second syllables are very often emphasised, rather than tailed off. TreYARnon, PolBATHic, LiskEARD.
I guess the point I'm making is that Argyle is a fine name in football terms, and to bastardise it into almost nothing is a shame. I'm sure Cowdrey used it on occasion. Did he not use it in his infamous "Same old Argo" article, lambasting fans ?
Of course, "the club" still continues to lambaste fans through the unfortunate and irate mouths of board member Peter Jones and the latest superfans, and in that sense, certainly still are the same old Argyle. Same as it ever was, as a very fine band once sung.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Reality/ shit....   Reality/ shit.... - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 22, 2014 10:21 am

Hugh Watt wrote:
Its an accent thing, we cant ponounce L sounds at the end of sentences, Argo scored a Go'. Om goin up Pevro later then Onickno. Yet we also put an S on things 'Om goin Asdas'. Sure there was a something on the internet yonks ago about it all

This is Pokesdown's link at the top of this page.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Reality/ shit....   Reality/ shit.... - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 22, 2014 10:25 am

Winter Green wrote:
Obviously , I don't mix with enough Janners then, Czarky. clown 
Well west of the Tamar, the gyle also rhymes with while, and second syllables are very often emphasised, rather than tailed off. TreYARnon, PolBATHic, LiskEARD.
I guess the point I'm making is that Argyle is a fine name in football terms, and to bastardise it into almost nothing is a shame. I'm sure Cowdrey used it on occasion. Did he not use it in his infamous "Same old Argo" article, lambasting fans ?
Of course, "the club" still continues to lambaste fans through the unfortunate and irate mouths of board member Peter Jones and the latest superfans, and in that sense, certainly still are the same old Argyle. Same as it ever was, as a very fine band once sung.

And Laaaaaanson  Wink 
Fokkin Poff ! That tw@t Sparks always irritates me when he yells, 'Go !!!!!!', on the odd occasion Argo score.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Reality/ shit....   Reality/ shit.... - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 22, 2014 10:36 am

Laaaaaaaanson bucks the trend in many ways. It is stannary, so anything goes up there, as their car park fiasco proved.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Reality/ shit....   Reality/ shit.... - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 22, 2014 2:08 pm

Going to school in Crownhill, as was my good fortune, it was the norm to ask "goin' to Argo?" way before even the sinclair Z80. My mother has developed quite a posh accent over the years deliberately as she thinks the Plimuff accent is lazy, I would have to agre with her, dropped aitches and l's dissappear from the ends of words.
Around West Devon the A can become I as in Murry Tivvy (Mary Tavy) and Brentor will sometimes become Brintor. I once witnessed a fight outside a pub over a girl, before the first punch was thrown the cry, "Murry Tivvy birds is for Murry Tivvy bheys! Brintor bheys can fook off!" Then smack! Typical Janner behaviour is alive and well in the sticks I can assure you.
Conversely Bristolians will often add an L to the end of words as in "I've just bought a mnew Ford Cortinal."
As for us being English Channel residents I would class myself as navigating the Western approaches rather than being in the channel whilst at sea, to my view (perhaps totally wrongly) I would regard the channel proper as starting past Lyme Bay.
Who needs radio 4 when you've got ATD?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Reality/ shit....   Reality/ shit.... - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Reality/ shit....
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2