Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic

The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The latest Grandstand delay excuse......

Go down 
+23
Dingle
mouldyoldgoat
Richard Blight
Tgwu
Elias
argyle_till_i_die
mannameadbabe
Greenskin
Coxside_Green
seadog
Dougie
greensleeves
Sir Francis Drake
Graham Clark
green_genie
Tringreen
Rickler
watgull
Dane
Freathy
Lord Melbury
Peggy
Czarcasm
27 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

The latest Grandstand delay excuse...... Empty
PostSubject: The latest Grandstand delay excuse......   The latest Grandstand delay excuse...... EmptyThu Nov 07, 2013 7:44 pm

Apparently, breeze blocks are more expensive at the minute.....

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

If, as Newell insinuates, the price of blocks is an actual bone fide factor in the build not happening yet, it just adds more weight to the theory that Brent is properly struggling to put together the finance to get this off the ground.

There's hope yet bheys!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The latest Grandstand delay excuse......   The latest Grandstand delay excuse...... EmptyThu Nov 07, 2013 7:48 pm

£0.92 each and I've not shopped around yet or phoned them up to get 50,000 at a knock down per unit price.

Newell as usual, being 'in the know' and making things up.
Back to top Go down
Peggy

Peggy

PostSubject: Re: The latest Grandstand delay excuse......   The latest Grandstand delay excuse...... EmptyThu Nov 07, 2013 7:59 pm

Perhaps somebody who knows about this stuff could confirm, but it's my understanding that the main contractor picks up any additional costs - materials, labour etc - and not the developer. When contracts are signed, they stipulate the price the developer will pay the main contractor for the job - and most contractors will have known about the projected rise in construction materials for a while (not to mention the skills shortage which some of us were flagging up at least eight years ago) so if they didn't take them into account in their price they can't be very good.

More to the point, though, it doesn't matter how much breeze blocks cost if you can't lay them - and there haven't been too many days lately when they could be laid. This is not the time of year to start any major development, even if all the tenants were in place.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The latest Grandstand delay excuse......   The latest Grandstand delay excuse...... EmptyThu Nov 07, 2013 8:11 pm

You have to hand it to him, he has a sense of humour
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The latest Grandstand delay excuse......   The latest Grandstand delay excuse...... EmptyThu Nov 07, 2013 8:20 pm

Stalling methods and excuses are getting pretty mundane now. Still, look how far we've come.What a Face 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The latest Grandstand delay excuse......   The latest Grandstand delay excuse...... EmptyThu Nov 07, 2013 8:28 pm

Maybe he should have looked at the price of concrete in the potteries instead of watching port vale?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The latest Grandstand delay excuse......   The latest Grandstand delay excuse...... EmptyThu Nov 07, 2013 8:29 pm

Oh how I long for the day when concrete blocks will be cheaper, anyone know when that will be? lol! 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The latest Grandstand delay excuse......   The latest Grandstand delay excuse...... EmptyThu Nov 07, 2013 8:36 pm

GOB wrote:
Oh how I long for the day when concrete blocks will be cheaper, anyone know when that will be? lol! 
Not saying it was a delaying tactic or excuse, or even the same scenario, but wasn't there some sort of furore about rising steel prices when Phase 1 was built 400 years ago?
Back to top Go down
Lord Melbury

PostSubject: Re: The latest Grandstand delay excuse......   The latest Grandstand delay excuse...... EmptyThu Nov 07, 2013 8:46 pm

Maybe he's waiting for January when he can employ loads of Lithuanian & Bulgarian "economic migrants" to build the stand for next to nothing. All those signed up tenants won't wait forever....Oh, hang on Very Happy 
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: The latest Grandstand delay excuse......   The latest Grandstand delay excuse...... EmptyThu Nov 07, 2013 8:48 pm

I'd rather hear crap 'excuses' than the sound of bulldozers. Long may they continue. Right up to the point brent slithers away without boxing in the club and defacing central park.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The latest Grandstand delay excuse......   The latest Grandstand delay excuse...... EmptyThu Nov 07, 2013 9:10 pm

So  concrete blocks going up 30 pence a block, is going to scupper posh jimmy's shit village with a shit stand complex supposedly costing millions?no wonder the banker, runs rings round the wankers!.
Back to top Go down
Dane

Dane

PostSubject: Re: The latest Grandstand delay excuse......   The latest Grandstand delay excuse...... EmptyThu Nov 07, 2013 9:19 pm

Peggy wrote:
Perhaps somebody who knows about this stuff could confirm, but it's my understanding that the main contractor picks up any additional costs - materials, labour etc - and not the developer. When contracts are signed, they stipulate the price the developer will pay the main contractor for the job - and most contractors will have known about the projected rise in construction materials for a while (not to mention the skills shortage which some of us were flagging up at least eight years ago) so if they didn't take them into account in their price they can't be very good.

More to the point, though, it doesn't matter how much breeze blocks cost if you can't lay them - and there haven't been too many days lately when they could be laid. This is not the time of year to start any major development, even if all the tenants were in place.
Yes, the main contractor pays for materials

this is a whole load of shit, if indeed this is really the reason for the delay, then its brent fault for handing this straight to kier without carrying out a tender process and allowing the big construction firms to bid for the works ONCE they have priced it.

Instead brent has placed all his eggs in one basket and now he is stuck with them without preforming the correct due-diligence
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The latest Grandstand delay excuse......   The latest Grandstand delay excuse...... EmptyThu Nov 07, 2013 10:02 pm

GOB wrote:
You have to hand it to him, he has a sense of humour

Pity he doesn't use it.
Back to top Go down
watgull

PostSubject: Re: The latest Grandstand delay excuse......   The latest Grandstand delay excuse...... EmptyThu Nov 07, 2013 10:13 pm

I refer back to my last post about Oldway Mansions
Back to top Go down
Rickler

Rickler

PostSubject: Re: The latest Grandstand delay excuse......   The latest Grandstand delay excuse...... EmptyThu Nov 07, 2013 11:30 pm

Well, if Brent can't find it in the budget, he'll just have to make the grandstand smaller...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The latest Grandstand delay excuse......   The latest Grandstand delay excuse...... EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 12:19 am

Continued delays very welcome, the longer the better! Do the job properly or not at all.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: The latest Grandstand delay excuse......   The latest Grandstand delay excuse...... EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 5:09 am

Love this one :

gaspargomez
Post subject: Re: Granstand Prediction.PostPosted: Fri Nov 08, 2013 12:30 am

The Home Park development is a very complex project to sort out- these things take a lot of time.

But I am certain the developments will happen. That's the main reason matey came here, isn't it ?

Can just picture Napoleon wriggling at the reference to the fine gentleman who allows him to play with his train set, being referred to as 'matey' ! lol! 
Back to top Go down
green_genie

green_genie

PostSubject: Re: The latest Grandstand delay excuse......   The latest Grandstand delay excuse...... EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 7:51 am

Peggy wrote:

I doubt Kier have finalised contracts yet, given the amount of outstanding detail yet to be signed off with PCC and their price will only be going one way.
It would probably suit Kier to delay the start of the project until some of their management currently tied up with the Incinerator (have they found an ash plant yet?) can be freed up.

There is some merit in the lack of skilled labour angle, as the Hemerdon Mine scheme will be drawing in a lot of construction workers over next 18 months.

I shouldn't worry too much about the weather at the moment Peggy. Even if they do start imminently the first 2-3 months of scheme will be ground clearance and foundation piling with gert big Tonka toys.

Anyway, until I read the Herald headlines "NCP sign up to £10M HHP deal" and / or "Ice World(?) sign up to £5M HHP deal" this is all bluster IMHO.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The latest Grandstand delay excuse......   The latest Grandstand delay excuse...... EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 8:05 am

GG - If you had to make a prediction now about where we'll be in say 3 years time what would you say?

As plans are now, nothing or something in between?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The latest Grandstand delay excuse......   The latest Grandstand delay excuse...... EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 8:07 am

So now Brenty will not be starting his development until the price of concrete block comes down. Have I really got this right because if it is right, it will probably be a few years yet before the cost of a concrete block comes down, when's the next recession due?

A few weeks have passed since 'matey' had his last attention fix and I wondered how long it would be before he could no longer resist those powerful urges that he has. The Farm is dead on its arse unless you want to debate the latest loan signing possibility, he can't bully because there is nobody left to bully, he can't even argue because nobody is taking his bait. I think this is just a very desperate attempt to promote something contentious so that he can abuse anyone that takes an opposing line.

There is no doubt that Brenty appears to be stalling and something isn't right, but the problem isn't the cost of a concrete block, unless of course Brenty gained his costing figures using the same method that he used to work out average attendances.

Ignore him and sit back and wait for his next popcorn moment, it's due!

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The latest Grandstand delay excuse......   The latest Grandstand delay excuse...... EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 8:56 am

The popcorn barometer, as with all football clubs, is based upon results. How many green and gold scarves were waving during Man Utd's title celebrations? The campaign against Nicola Cortese seems to have died a death at Southampton...I wonder why?

If, and it is a big if after 6 lucky points, we turn a tide and start climbing the league to at least top half/play off outsiders all dissent will be off the agenda for most. Where Newell is on a loser (and far more likely to go on one) is when "critical friends" such as Graham Clark, Stuart C and a few others start making sensible fact based arguments.

If you can get 2 or 3 of them on the same thread at the same time then we have popcorn time.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The latest Grandstand delay excuse......   The latest Grandstand delay excuse...... EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 9:03 am

I did the weekly shop yesterday. I picked up two extra packets of Butterkist. There's now 3 packets in the cupboard and I'm off this weekend. Let's hope Newell and De-Liar explode this weekend.

Did you get that De-lar? We know for a fact you scour over every word posted on here. Our Pisspoti moles have confirmed this. Sad, sad, sad individual.lol! 
Back to top Go down
Graham Clark

PostSubject: Re: The latest Grandstand delay excuse......   The latest Grandstand delay excuse...... EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 9:13 am

hairy j wrote:

£0.92 each and I've not shopped around yet or phoned them up to get 50,000 at a knock down per unit price.

Newell as usual, being 'in the know' and making things up.
Unwittingly, from a private conversation, I have got drawn into this so I thought it appropriate to state the facts.

The prices quoted by Ian Newell are for typical LABOUR costs not the cost of the blocks themselves. It was an illustration of the volatility of labour and material costs in the south west. Already there are significant material shortages and delivery delays in some parts of the south west..

Anyone, involved in the construction industry like myself (for the last 30 years in the south west) will be all too aware of the very sudden (within the last three months) increase in labour and material costs as many projects in the south west that have been impacted by the recession are either now commencing or about to commence. Simply, the industry is not geared up locally to respond to such a pendulum swing.

I have no personal knowledge of what impact this all may have on the future of the HHP development and its likely commencement date other than it must be a factor in the negotiations between the main contractor and sub-contractors.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The latest Grandstand delay excuse......   The latest Grandstand delay excuse...... EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 9:35 am

So in other words, the fiasco is on hold until there is high unemployment in the construction Industry and materials are over produced?

Presumably these cost will be the same for the Millbay and Civic Centre tower block?

POI, my advice is that you get a few years supply of popcorn in!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The latest Grandstand delay excuse......   The latest Grandstand delay excuse...... EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 10:01 am

IF jimmy's a bit short of cash, perhaps his jester could auction a few concrete blocks!nikkkkkkkkkkkkkk might pitch in and buy ten grands worth!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The latest Grandstand delay excuse......   The latest Grandstand delay excuse...... Empty

Back to top Go down

The latest Grandstand delay excuse......
Page 1 of 6Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next