Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic

The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

The latest Grandstand delay excuse......

Go down 
+23
Dingle
mouldyoldgoat
Richard Blight
Tgwu
Elias
argyle_till_i_die
mannameadbabe
Greenskin
Coxside_Green
seadog
Dougie
greensleeves
Sir Francis Drake
Graham Clark
green_genie
Tringreen
Rickler
watgull
Dane
Freathy
Lord Melbury
Peggy
Czarcasm
27 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage

The latest Grandstand delay excuse...... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The latest Grandstand delay excuse......   The latest Grandstand delay excuse...... - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 10:11 am

Latest is its due to start "January/February". Razz 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The latest Grandstand delay excuse......   The latest Grandstand delay excuse...... - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 10:12 am

Hugh Watt wrote:
Is there a concrete block sale at that time then?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The latest Grandstand delay excuse......   The latest Grandstand delay excuse...... - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 10:14 am

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to that old chestnut , this man.......
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The latest Grandstand delay excuse......   The latest Grandstand delay excuse...... - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 10:16 am

Hugh Watt wrote:

No, no! You can't get out of it that easy. What year are you talking about?
Back to top Go down
green_genie

green_genie

PostSubject: Re: The latest Grandstand delay excuse......   The latest Grandstand delay excuse...... - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 10:26 am

Pokesdown wrote:
GG - If you had to make a prediction now about where we'll be in say 3 years time what would you say?

As plans are now, nothing or something in between?
Don't know why you're asking me.

I was completely wrong about how far entrenched PCC are with Akkeron, to the extent that the planning process could be bent beyond recognition to get to this stage, so it wouldn't amaze me to see the development happen.

One thing for sure is JB will only move when all funding is in place. My guess with the car park and Ice Rink £10M+ black hole is that PCC have a lot more bending (over) to do to make the propositions attractive to tenants. Wouldn't surprise me to see Outland road Park & Ride go pay & display after Xmas rush is out of the way to "pay for the Mayflower West car park repairs" and PCC end up running the Ice Rink (at a loss).

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The latest Grandstand delay excuse......   The latest Grandstand delay excuse...... - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 10:45 am

green_genie wrote:
Pokesdown wrote:
GG - If you had to make a prediction now about where we'll be in say 3 years time what would you say?

As plans are now, nothing or something in between?
Don't know why you're asking me.

I was completely wrong about how far entrenched PCC are with Akkeron, to the extent that the planning process could be bent beyond recognition to get to this stage, so it wouldn't amaze me to see the development happen.

One thing for sure is JB will only move when all funding is in place. My guess with the car park and Ice Rink £10M+ black hole is that PCC have a lot more bending (over) to do to make the propositions attractive to tenants. Wouldn't surprise me to see Outland road Park & Ride go pay & display after Xmas rush is out of the way to "pay for the Mayflower West car park repairs" and PCC end up running the Ice Rink (at a loss).

Thank you GG. Nothing sinister about asking you other than you seem to be the most clued up (alongside Graham) with regards to local planning, regs, permissions, process etc.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The latest Grandstand delay excuse......   The latest Grandstand delay excuse...... - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 11:07 am

What net leaves on the track?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The latest Grandstand delay excuse......   The latest Grandstand delay excuse...... - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 11:11 am

Graham beat me to it with the cost of blocks explanation, many projects are worked out on a cost per square metre basis or a cost per block. Contractors will quite often be hired with a fixed rate or every block laid.
And as for the poster the said the weather might be a factor, I guess they don't know how tough builders are, I laid thousand of blocks in monsoon conditions, no blocks laid = no pay, another contributing factor to my back which seems three times as old as the rest of my body.
I hate to say it but this one time old Porky has been misunderstood.
Back to top Go down
Peggy

Peggy

PostSubject: Re: The latest Grandstand delay excuse......   The latest Grandstand delay excuse...... - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 11:19 am

Equally, Iggy, I've been on plenty of sites where the site manager's told the brickies to stop work because it's raining and the mortar won't set, and where they've been sent home because the forecast is for it to stay too close to freezing all day. And yes, they haven't been happy because they're on piecework.

I don't think Porky's been misunderstood - he's tried to make out he knows what he's talking about by quoting the price of blocks, when as this thread shows it's much more complicated than that. And we all suspect the real reasons for delay are much more serious than that.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The latest Grandstand delay excuse......   The latest Grandstand delay excuse...... - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 11:36 am

Peggy wrote:
Equally, Iggy, I've been on plenty of sites where the site manager's told the brickies to stop work because it's raining and the mortar won't set, and where they've been sent home because the forecast is for it to stay too close to freezing all day. And yes, they haven't been happy because they're on piecework.

I don't think Porky's been misunderstood - he's tried to make out he knows what he's talking about by quoting the price of blocks, when as this thread shows it's much more complicated than that. And we all suspect the real reasons for delay are much more serious than that.
they might stop work for wind and rain but never for the cold this is England nothing would ever get built otherwise.
Back to top Go down
Peggy

Peggy

PostSubject: Re: The latest Grandstand delay excuse......   The latest Grandstand delay excuse...... - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 11:44 am

I was told by a brickie that mortar won't set below a certain temperature (or above another, but that's not an issue in the UK). Certainly one of 'my' sites lost days of work when we had the snow a few years back. Iggy's right - the lads would always carry on, but they're not always allowed to.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The latest Grandstand delay excuse......   The latest Grandstand delay excuse...... - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 12:08 pm

Peggy wrote:
I was told by a brickie that mortar won't set below a certain temperature (or above another, but that's not an issue in the UK). Certainly one of 'my' sites lost days of work when we had the snow a few years back. Iggy's right - the lads would always carry on, but they're not always allowed to.
Unless its snowing most decent tradesmen work when its cold. They are not allow to it if the temps are under 0 hence the snow, heavy rain and high winds.
Back to top Go down
green_genie

green_genie

PostSubject: Re: The latest Grandstand delay excuse......   The latest Grandstand delay excuse...... - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 12:14 pm

If we're talking big concrete pours like this development will involve below 2degC and the suppliers will be telling you "it's at your own risk".
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The latest Grandstand delay excuse......   The latest Grandstand delay excuse...... - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 12:15 pm

Hugh Watt wrote:

Must say, that 'samjones' is put his arse right next to the bacon slicer - class!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The latest Grandstand delay excuse......   The latest Grandstand delay excuse...... - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 12:55 pm

Bandwagon wrote:
Hugh Watt wrote:

Must say, that 'samjones' is put his arse right next to the bacon slicer - class!!
He attends ian as he owns the club and its in his interests to go.
Back to top Go down
green_genie

green_genie

PostSubject: Re: The latest Grandstand delay excuse......   The latest Grandstand delay excuse...... - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 1:00 pm

Angry wrote:
Bandwagon wrote:
Hugh Watt wrote:

He attends ian as he owns the club and its in his interests to go.
To be fair JB could certainly get away with missing a few whilst "away on business", but we'll know if he really gets it when he does something obviously in the clubs interests rather than his pension fund, like give back the ministand ground floor for an open to all club run bar.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: The latest Grandstand delay excuse......   The latest Grandstand delay excuse...... - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 1:10 pm

He has to look like he cares, or even the Avivas would become restless.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The latest Grandstand delay excuse......   The latest Grandstand delay excuse...... - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 1:21 pm

Peggy wrote:
What you say is true in part or maybe principle but the reality is that I have been stopped working by the bosses once or twice in about thirty years, the winter of 87 was one when the temperatures were -18c for weeks and we nearly starved, but frost is usually overcome by burning cement bags along the top of frozen walls to lay on, there are some good admixes on the market these days, they started using these in places like Canada where it's always frozen in winter. We used space heaters on one site and the walls all listed about ten degrees overnight because they dried out on one side and had to be pulled down (which of course was our fault not the boss who's idea it was). In short the weather isn't going to stop Brenty building it will be other forces.
Of course you are right about Porky he don't know shit.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: The latest Grandstand delay excuse......   The latest Grandstand delay excuse...... - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 1:25 pm

I don't think Brent needs to bother keeping up the pretence of being a caring owner anymore. Just as the mood music around PASB is becoming more widely critical, which will lead to its eventual but long overdue abolition, so Brent's presence at games has become far less necessary now that he has trousered his planning permission for HHP.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com

PostSubject: Re: The latest Grandstand delay excuse......   The latest Grandstand delay excuse...... - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 1:40 pm

Thanks to Mike Greening for clearing things up, '...Wasn't free tickets he's paid a lot of money for the privilege to sit in the directors box." Doesn't say whose money though.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: The latest Grandstand delay excuse......   The latest Grandstand delay excuse...... - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 1:46 pm

Hugh Watt wrote:
Thanks to Mike Greening for clearing things up, '...Wasn't free tickets he's paid a lot of money for the privilege to sit in the directors box." Doesn't say whose money though.
Ha ha ha ! Get those buckets out boys n girls ! Buckets for breeze blocks............ Auction for the first block laid and get yer name on it...............
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The latest Grandstand delay excuse......   The latest Grandstand delay excuse...... - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 4:55 pm

Peggy wrote:
its got to be 4 and rising according to the book i believe, but like iggy says, if your on a price you just crack on! (unlike jimmy it seems)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The latest Grandstand delay excuse......   The latest Grandstand delay excuse...... - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 7:11 pm

People need to realise that without James Brent, we'd HAVE NO CLUB
He's a nice bloke - good family man.
Back to top Go down
greensleeves

PostSubject: Re: The latest Grandstand delay excuse......   The latest Grandstand delay excuse...... - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 7:30 pm

Hairy  my computer dont like that..issues found...not sabotage hairy?(Hairy by the way was Paul Stapleton's nickname)...you're not are you ...tell me you're not.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The latest Grandstand delay excuse......   The latest Grandstand delay excuse...... - Page 2 EmptyFri Nov 08, 2013 8:33 pm

Chris Webb @Chris_Webb1 7h
@FrazerLloyd 100% agree. It's like turning around the titanic.

I think someone needs to remind him of the Titanic's fate. lol! 
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The latest Grandstand delay excuse......   The latest Grandstand delay excuse...... - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

The latest Grandstand delay excuse......
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next