Coxside_Green
Freathy
Chemical Ali
27 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
AuthorMessage
gasser9

Argyle after striker - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Argyle after striker   Argyle after striker - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 16, 2013 1:54 am

Did anyone see this little gem over on the farm taken from the local Swindon rag.

"Meanwhile, Power confirmed that Lee Cox has been transfer-listed but the Town co-owner stressed that the club have not received any bids for the midfielder, other than a “derisory” loan offer from Plymouth, as reported by the Advertiser last month.

Swindon have notified clubs across the Football League of Cox’s availability via an email circular, but the uptake has been slow according to Power.

“We’ve had a derisory offer from Plymouth with which we’d have to heavily subsidise his wages and we didn’t think that was acceptable so we turned that down,” he said. “We’re waiting for something to happen on that no, we’ve had no other inquiries."

May go a long way to explaining why we cannot attract a decent striker if we are not prepared to pay the going rate. Maybe JS has his hands tied firmly behind his back.
Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

PostSubject: Re: Argyle after striker   Argyle after striker - Page 4 EmptySat Nov 16, 2013 2:44 am

think we knew that already but confirmation of how brent is running the club is always welcome.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle after striker   Argyle after striker - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 17, 2013 7:43 pm

I know Swindon Town don't owe us anything but that's pretty poor form to publicise that.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle after striker   Argyle after striker - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 17, 2013 7:58 pm

hairy j wrote:
I know Swindon Town don't owe us anything but that's pretty poor form to publicise that.

Why ? it confirms what most have suspected for a long time...............our budget is dogshit.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle after striker   Argyle after striker - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 17, 2013 8:05 pm

Jack Sheppard wrote:
hairy j wrote:
Why ? it confirms what most have suspected for a long time...............our budget is dogshit.
It show how hard brent tries to bring good players to home park, not very! brent does not give a toss that the team is poor and going nowhere, well done swindon for making it public.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Argyle after striker   Argyle after striker - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 17, 2013 8:06 pm

hairy j wrote:
Assuming the offer truly was derisory, you'd rather that Argyle fans didn't know about it?

If Argyle don't want to be embarrassed by comments from others, then they should give others the ammunition to make such statements.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle after striker   Argyle after striker - Page 4 EmptySun Nov 17, 2013 9:03 pm

It's unprofessional for the club to publicise it. There's also nothing wrong with our club offering another club a 'derisory' offer (in their opinion) as we're in the business of signing players on contracts beneficial to the club.
We could really do with getting Cox back and perhaps, if we'd improved our offer, a deal could have happened - publicising this though is likely to completely rule it out. Hence, unprofesional.
Back to top Go down
gasser9

PostSubject: Re: Argyle after striker   Argyle after striker - Page 4 EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 10:16 am

As usual on the farm they have spun this story so much so that Argyle's derisory offer is now a positive. One of them even suggests it's the same as negotiating with a taxi driver.
Maybe I'm the idiot and they are right and this really is just bad form on Swindon's part.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle after striker   Argyle after striker - Page 4 EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 10:24 am

gasser9 wrote:
As usual on the farm they have spun this story so much so that Argyle's derisory offer is now a  positive. One of them even suggests it's the same as negotiating with a taxi driver.
Maybe I'm the idiot and they are right and this really is just bad form on Swindon's part.
Rolling Eyes  probably Hairy using one of his farm multi's. I would guess that Swindon felt pretty insulted by our offer and didn't want anybody spinning the story to show them in a bad light so let the facts out. This explains why we can't attract the players that we need, feck all to do with geography more to do with economics.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Argyle after striker   Argyle after striker - Page 4 EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 10:44 am

"Derisory" is a very vague term. Who is to say that it isn't Swindon's expectations that aren't derisory? Without knowing any of the figures involved it is impossible to say.

Lee Cox is obviously surplus to their requirements up there, has barely figured in their 1st XI for a very long time, came down here to get some games and recover fitness following injury (I think) and then suffered another long term injury none of which strengthens their hand. Swindon will be very lucky to see their selling demands equalling the buying desire of any other team and Cox himself will be very lucky to see the terms of his current contract being equalled.

Having said all of that we know he's a decent player, when fit, but signing him is still a gamble. I see no problem with us putting a cheeky little bid in.

I think it is the loan aspect that disappoints me but I suppose we are outside the blessed transfer window. Does anybody know how long Cox has left on his contract at Swindon? I'd imagine a 2 year contract would see him demand a move on a free if there isn't long to go and if there is a long time left then Swindon must be desperate to get shot of him and this is all just the usual game of bluff and double bluff as both us and them try to wangle a deal that suits each party.

Another point is that we have plenty of other central midfielders at the club already so in financial terms this would be a luxury signing unless we can ship one or two others out.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com

PostSubject: Re: Argyle after striker   Argyle after striker - Page 4 EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 10:51 am

The luxury of goals is not something we cant afford, that is why we are where we are. I think that derisory is just that, it's not really an all encompassing term for large and small bids is it?
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Argyle after striker   Argyle after striker - Page 4 EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 11:45 am

Cox would be a very imaginative solution to our shortage of goals.

I'm not suggesting that he isn't good or that we he wouldn't strengthen the team because he is and he would. It could easily be argued that anybody who improves the team should be signed as a matter of urgency if they are willing and available but that assumes unlimited resources are available and we all know that that is not the case.

Collectively the records of Boco, Alessandra and Reid suggest that they could and should be far more prolific than they have shown us in green so far. The obvious question is why are they under-performing so much here?

Much higher on my list would be a LB and wide players with pace and creativity than a defensive midfielder and so I wouldn't be blowing my budget on Cox.

Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Argyle after striker   Argyle after striker - Page 4 EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 3:07 pm

Sir Francis Drake wrote:

I'm not suggesting that he isn't good or that we he wouldn't strengthen the team because he is and he would. It could easily be argued that anybody who improves the team should be signed as a matter of urgency if they are willing and available but that assumes unlimited resources are available and we all know that that is not the case.

Collectively the records of Boco, Alessandra and Reid suggest that they could and should be far more prolific than they have shown us in green so far. The obvious question is why are they under-performing so much here?

Much higher on my list would be a LB and wide players with pace and creativity than a defensive midfielder and so I wouldn't be blowing my budget on Cox.

Really?

Allessandra-16 goals in 171 appearances
Reid-43 goals in 213 appearances
Boco-18 goals in 139 appearances

Actually not much different on a comparative basis to their records so far at Argyle.Maybe we all got a bit too excited at our "marquee" signings in the summer and didn't take enough into account that they were from Accrington and Morecambe,no disrespect to those clubs of course.
Back to top Go down
greensleeves

PostSubject: Re: Argyle after striker   Argyle after striker - Page 4 EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 3:47 pm

Greenskin...interesting stats you put up there.You might be surprised to learn that Nick Chadwick has a better goals to game ratio than Allessandra and Boco,and played at a much higher level as well.One would have thought that Sheridan would have kept Chadders here rather than letting him out on loan what with the dearth of goals from the current strikeforce.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle after striker   Argyle after striker - Page 4 EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 3:55 pm

greensleeves wrote:
Greenskin...interesting stats you put up there.You might be surprised to learn that Nick Chadwick has a better goals to game ratio than Allessandra and Boco,and played at a much higher level as well.One would have thought that Sheridan would have kept Chadders  here rather than letting him out on loan what with the dearth of goals from the current strikeforce.

My record in saving penalties was pretty good but that was years ago. I can't see me being brought into the side by the manager of any club, let alone Argyle. What was Chadwick's goal-scoring record in his last spell at Argyle?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle after striker   Argyle after striker - Page 4 EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 3:58 pm

How far we have fallen when the argument is which bag of shyte is the better bag of shyte.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Argyle after striker   Argyle after striker - Page 4 EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 5:42 pm

knecht wrote:
greensleeves wrote:
Greenskin...interesting stats you put up there.You might be surprised to learn that Nick Chadwick has a better goals to game ratio than Allessandra and Boco,and played at a much higher level as well.One would have thought that Sheridan would have kept Chadders  here rather than letting him out on loan what with the dearth of goals from the current strikeforce.
My record in saving penalties was pretty good but that was years ago. I can't see me being brought into the side by the manager of any club, let alone Argyle. What was Chadwick's goal-scoring record in his last spell at Argyle?

Er,6 goals in 50 games,according to wikithingy.lol! A lot of those were sub appearances in fairness but,although i'm not really a Chadders hater,i think it was time for him to move to pastures new,as GOB said.Whether anyone better has been brought in is a very debateable point but can't really argue with his departure.A more pertinent point may well be why Sheridan,whose previous managerial career indicated an attack minded and free scoring approach utilising strikers with good scoring records,has suddenly produced a team which is miserly in defence but struggles to find the net even on a semi regular basis.Intriguing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle after striker   Argyle after striker - Page 4 EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 6:00 pm

Damian Johnson went to Huddersfield (I think) on loan and we were paying a massive percentage of his wages. It happens - it's not a positive that we've offered something Swindon see as 'derisory' but it's not really something I'd beat the board over the head with. Other clubs do it, why can't we. They obviously want to get Cox off the payroll so why didn't they say that instead?
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Argyle after striker   Argyle after striker - Page 4 EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 6:13 pm

hairy j wrote:
Damian Johnson went to Huddersfield (I think) on loan and we were paying a massive percentage of his wages. It happens - it's not a positive that we've offered something Swindon see as 'derisory' but it's not really something I'd beat the board over the head with. Other clubs do it, why can't we. They obviously want to get Cox off the payroll so why didn't they say that instead?
On the face of it yeah, try and get him on the cheap. But you don't have to read between the lines too much to figure out when Sheridan talks about losing out multiple times on his potential targets, that maybe, just maybe, Argyle making derisory offers time after time could well be a major factor in none of the f uckers actually ending up at Home Park?
Back to top Go down
Mrrapson

Mrrapson

PostSubject: Re: Argyle after striker   Argyle after striker - Page 4 EmptyMon Nov 18, 2013 7:12 pm

hairy j wrote:
Bang on, last season we weren't contributing to the wage at all, there have been wholesale changes at Swindon and that has changed there opinion, the argument we have used is, you want him playing football and putting him in the window, let us do that and we'll pay x amount of his wage while letting him get games. That's not good enough for Power though App, Lee is desp to get back down here.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Argyle after striker   Argyle after striker - Page 4 EmptyTue Nov 19, 2013 5:40 am

Mrrapson wrote:
hairy j wrote:
Bang on, last season we weren't contributing to the wage at all, there have been wholesale changes at Swindon and that has changed there opinion, the argument we have used is, you want him playing football and putting him in the window, let us do that and we'll pay x amount of his wage while letting him get games. That's not good enough for Power though App, Lee is desp to get back down here.
Ee loves a fanfest when ee's injured do ee ?
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Argyle after striker   Argyle after striker - Page 4 EmptyTue Nov 19, 2013 8:22 am

Just came across this fella on GOS. I truly admire those who managed to play cricket and football professionally. He umpired the 1981 Headingley Test too.

We could do with his goalscoring now.............. even aged 81 cheers 

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Argyle after striker   Argyle after striker - Page 4 EmptyTue Nov 19, 2013 8:47 am

Greenskin wrote:
Sir Francis Drake wrote:

Really?

Actually not much different on a comparative basis to their records so far at Argyle.Maybe we all got a bit too excited at our "marquee" signings in the summer and didn't take enough into account that they were from Accrington and Morecambe,no disrespect to those clubs of course.
Point taken. At that rate we'd see Alessandra bag about 4 goals and Boco 6 per season. Which they might. Reid is a different case. Didn't he hit 20 or so in a season for Rotherham? Apart from which many of his games have been played at a higher level. If we got 30 goals from the three we wouldn't be doing too badly, if not exactly brilliantly, by the time a few others have chipped in.

I quite like Reid actually. He's essentially playing the Trigger role in the team and Trigger didn't get that many goals but crucially others did and that is obviously the difference.

I think the problem with Boco and Alessandra is that they are almost the same player in terms of style and neither offers much defensively, neither sits naturally in a wide role and neither offers to take his man on often enough. Opposition full backs must rub their hands in glee when the teamsheet gets announced.

I still think pace and creativity are what we are lacking. This new fella is said to be quick so maybe he'll make the difference.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle after striker   Argyle after striker - Page 4 EmptyTue Nov 19, 2013 8:48 am

gasser9 wrote:
As usual on the farm they have spun this story so much so that Argyle's derisory offer is now a  positive. One of them even suggests it's the same as negotiating with a taxi driver.
These'll be the same folk who were screaming blue murder when Holloway offered us £30k for BWP I reckon .
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Argyle after striker   Argyle after striker - Page 4 EmptyTue Nov 19, 2013 11:20 am

Sir Francis Drake wrote:
Greenskin wrote:
Sir Francis Drake wrote:

Really?

Point taken. At that rate we'd see Alessandra bag about 4 goals and Boco 6 per season. Which they might. Reid is a different case. Didn't he hit 20 or so in a season for Rotherham? Apart from which many of his games have been played at a higher level. If we got 30 goals from the three we wouldn't be doing too badly, if not exactly brilliantly, by the time a few others have chipped in.

I quite like Reid actually. He's essentially playing the Trigger role in the team and Trigger didn't get that many goals but crucially others did and that is obviously the difference.I think the problem with Boco and Alessandra is that they are almost the same player in terms of style and neither offers much defensively, neither sits naturally in a wide role and neither offers to take his man on often enough. Opposition full backs must rub their hands in glee when the teamsheet gets announced.

I still think pace and creativity are what we are lacking. This new fella is said to be quick so maybe he'll make the difference.
Exactly.Going back in time,John Sims also performed a similar role,difference was that people like Kemp,Phillips,Cook,Rogers,Hodges etc contributed their fair share of goals to compensate-this is a quality that the current side plainly does not possess and hasn't done since the departure of Mason,BWP,Noone etc.If you look through the scoring records of the entire Argyle squad,even the midfielders and defenders have poor stats in this regard-of course goal scoring isn't the main purpose for such players but it don't half bleddy help if they can chip in with a few,as was seen by Trotman at Mansfield.Looks to me as if Sheridan is cutting his cloth accordingly [as i pointed out yesterday,his teams at Oldham and Chesterfield were quite fluent and free scoring] and setting the team up to be totally miserly,with minimal opportunities given to the opposition-sort of a Pulis type operation,only two divisions lower.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Argyle after striker   Argyle after striker - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Argyle after striker
Page 4 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next