Dougie
Coxside_Green
Freathy
Chemical Ali
27 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5
AuthorMessage

Argyle after striker - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Argyle after striker   Argyle after striker - Page 5 EmptyTue Nov 19, 2013 11:33 am

Pay peanuts get monkeys.
Succinct that is, only took a few seconds to type as well.
Back to top Go down

Argyle after striker - Page 5 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Argyle after striker   Argyle after striker - Page 5 EmptyTue Nov 19, 2013 11:40 am

Greenskin wrote:
Sir Francis Drake wrote:
Greenskin wrote:
Sir Francis Drake wrote:
Cox would be a very imaginative solution to our shortage of goals.

I'm not suggesting that he isn't good or that we he wouldn't strengthen the team because he is and he would. It could easily be argued that anybody who improves the team should be signed as a matter of urgency if they are willing and available but that assumes unlimited resources are available and we all know that that is not the case.

Collectively the records of Boco, Alessandra and Reid suggest that they could and should be far more prolific than they have shown us in green so far. The obvious question is why are they under-performing so much here?

Much higher on my list would be a LB and wide players with pace and creativity than a defensive midfielder and so I wouldn't be blowing my budget on Cox.

Really?

Allessandra-16 goals in 171 appearances
Reid-43 goals in 213 appearances
Boco-18 goals in 139 appearances

Actually not much different on a comparative basis to their records so far at Argyle.Maybe we all got a bit too excited at our "marquee" signings in the summer and didn't take enough into account that they were from Accrington and Morecambe,no disrespect to those clubs of course.
Point taken. At that rate we'd see Alessandra bag about 4 goals and Boco 6 per season. Which they might. Reid is a different case. Didn't he hit 20 or so in a season for Rotherham? Apart from which many of his games have been played at a higher level. If we got 30 goals from the three we wouldn't be doing too badly, if not exactly brilliantly, by the time a few others have chipped in.

I quite like Reid actually. He's essentially playing the Trigger role in the team and Trigger didn't get that many goals but crucially others did and that is obviously the difference.I think the problem with Boco and Alessandra is that they are almost the same player in terms of style and neither offers much defensively, neither sits naturally in a wide role and neither offers to take his man on often enough. Opposition full backs must rub their hands in glee when the teamsheet gets announced.

I still think pace and creativity are what we are lacking. This new fella is said to be quick so maybe he'll make the difference.
Exactly.Going back in time,John Sims also performed a similar role,difference was that people like Kemp,Phillips,Cook,Rogers,Hodges etc contributed their fair share of goals to compensate-this is a quality that the current side plainly does not possess and hasn't done since the departure of Mason,BWP,Noone etc.If you look through the scoring records of the entire Argyle squad,even the midfielders and defenders have poor stats in this regard-of course goal scoring isn't the main purpose for such players but it don't half bleddy help if they can chip in with a few,as was seen by Trotman at Mansfield.Looks to me as if Sheridan is cutting his cloth accordingly [as i pointed out yesterday,his teams at Oldham and Chesterfield were quite fluent and free scoring] and setting the team up to be totally miserly,with minimal opportunities given to the opposition-sort of a Pulis type operation,only two divisions lower.

And who can blame him ? it's obvious the funds to bring in a proven goalscorer are unavailable...........for whatever reason.
Back to top Go down

Argyle after striker
Page 5 of 5Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5