Flat_Track_Bully
Damon.Lenszner
Tringreen
Richard Blight
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

The Ice Rink. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Ice Rink.   The Ice Rink. - Page 2 EmptyFri May 17, 2013 10:08 am

What I am most against being built in the park is the Hotel oh and the cinema and the ice rink and the retail units and the underground car park, but if the mini stand planed capacity where to be revised upwards I could put up with that.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Ice Rink.   The Ice Rink. - Page 2 EmptyFri May 17, 2013 11:32 am

green_genie wrote:
Sam,

The Millbay "plans" are to knock down the front section of the Pavillions containing the Ice Rink and Leisure Pool to give room for redevlopment. Originally Akkeron were talking about retail / leisure units and a hotel. In the latest interview with James Brent he is hedging his bets on the Hotel and talks of mixed residential usage (student accommodation), which will be because he is talking to his friend Mr Evans about another prime city centre spot in need of redevelopment.

The existing Pavillions concert hall is to be expanded by 10% and the sound / lighting upgraded.

The real driver for Millbay and HHP is the boulevard to link the Union Rooms cross roads to the redevelopment at Millbay docks. There will be dozens of prime retail/leaisure units to be sold of there. Unfortunately, there. are no published plans for the scheme, only a "clear as mud" CGI.

And knowing James Brent he wont increase the capacity of the pavillions so it can attract big name acts and shows to Plymouth becasue its not done that before.

Back to top Go down
green_genie

green_genie

PostSubject: Re: The Ice Rink.   The Ice Rink. - Page 2 EmptyFri May 17, 2013 11:40 am

Tgwu wrote:
Richard Blight wrote:
Sir Francis Drake wrote:
Akkeron's man at the Theatre Royal said that the Ice Arena was expected to run at a loss once completed.

I can confirm this, I was there when he said it.
500 extra standing, no extra for the basketball and where will they play when the up grade is being done?

The multi-purpose Ice Rink / Conference Centre at Cottage Field in the AAP.

Oh sorry, dreamlike alternative reality intrusion.

Don't think anyone has thought of it. Anybody got a contact for the Raiders to see if we can get a straight answer?
Temporary seating in the existing "Life Centre Lite"? (copyright green genie)
Back to top Go down
Damon.Lenszner

Damon.Lenszner

PostSubject: Re: The Ice Rink.   The Ice Rink. - Page 2 EmptyFri May 17, 2013 11:48 am

Raiders are 'sponsored' by PCC in that they are not charged for use of the Pavilions. Rough estimate is that it is worth around £60k per annum to the club. It will be interesting to see if the new owners of the Pavilions offer the same kind of deal after redevelopment. Akkeron sponsoring Raiders to the tune of £60k a year but no longer funding Agyle's losses?

Loss of free use of the Pavilions will be a major financial blow to Raiders.

ps Life Centre capacity for basketball is 800 - as opposed to just under 1500 at Pavilions.
Back to top Go down
Mapperley, darling

Mapperley, darling

PostSubject: Re: The Ice Rink.   The Ice Rink. - Page 2 EmptyFri May 17, 2013 12:11 pm

surely the ice rink could be used for bb as well as concerts and conferences and comedy gigs and disney on ice etc etc etc as it is here in nottm. whats the point in redoing the pavillions if there will be a suitably sized and located facility built at home park
Back to top Go down
http://www.nicegarden.co.uk

PostSubject: Re: The Ice Rink.   The Ice Rink. - Page 2 EmptyFri May 17, 2013 12:16 pm

Damon.Lenszner wrote:
Raiders are 'sponsored' by PCC in that they are not charged for use of the Pavilions. Rough estimate is that it is worth around £60k per annum to the club. It will be interesting to see if the new owners of the Pavilions offer the same kind of deal after redevelopment. Akkeron sponsoring Raiders to the tune of £60k a year but no longer funding Agyle's losses?

Loss of free use of the Pavilions will be a major financial blow to Raiders.

ps Life Centre capacity for basketball is 800 - as opposed to just under 1500 at Pavilions.

I referring mainly to the Raiders using the ice rink as there temp home which would hold more than the 1500 the pavilions can hold at present.
Back to top Go down
Dougie

Dougie

PostSubject: Re: The Ice Rink.   The Ice Rink. - Page 2 EmptyFri May 17, 2013 12:23 pm

I don't know about anyone else but I find ice rinks soul destroying places and I've been in enough of them with my kids. Largely empty or underused with decaying equipment and environs stinking of crappy chips and slush puppies.

Unless it's going to be used for something meaningful and can accommodate these ice shows or an ice hockey team I don't see the point generally in having one. Or rather if you are going to have one it should be industrial in style, a glorified warehouse really, and somewhere relatively obscure. There is a rink in Brixton in London which fits that spec and is entirely fit for purpose of a minor minor UK sport.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Ice Rink.   The Ice Rink. - Page 2 EmptyFri May 17, 2013 12:28 pm

Dougie wrote:
I don't know about anyone else but I find ice rinks soul destroying places ad I've been in enough of them with my kids. Largely empty or underused with decaying equipment and environs stinking of crappy chips and slush puppies.

Unless it's going to be used for something meaningful and can accommodate these ice shows or an ice hockey team I don't see the point generally in having one. Or rather if you are going to have one it should be industrial in style, a glorified warehouse really, and somewhere relatively obscure. There is a rink in Brixton in London which fits that spec and is entirely fit for purpose of a minor minor UK sport.

i dont think ice skating/hockey/dancing is popular enough to warrant a dedicated building to it in Plymouth. I still feel they should have annexed the ice rink on to the life centre and ran it as part of that instead of a stand alone one. Its going to be empty 3/4 of the time and limted with its usage beyond possible homing of basketball if required, where as a football stadium can be used for so much.

I know which one i would rather build and build well.

Last edited by Angry of Mayfair on Fri May 17, 2013 12:41 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
green_genie

green_genie

PostSubject: Re: The Ice Rink.   The Ice Rink. - Page 2 EmptyFri May 17, 2013 12:39 pm

I want the Ice Rink but i want it right.

Enough seats to be able to compete nationally and dual use so the Raiders can use it to progress to next level. If it won't fit with the Hotel and Cinema being there give Akkerron use of one of the disused spots in City Centre where they belong.

What's the term again. Regional centre of sporting excellence !
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Ice Rink.   The Ice Rink. - Page 2 EmptyFri May 17, 2013 12:51 pm

Bin the hotel and there is plenty of room for everything, I don't have a problem with the ice rink, it fits in with leisure use of the park, the traffic to the hotel would be detrimental to all park users, users of the ice rink can walk there from park and ride as the football fans do.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Ice Rink.   The Ice Rink. - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Ice Rink.
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2