The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Brent backs Fletcher as full time Manager

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Chemical Ali

Brent backs Fletcher as full time Manager Empty
PostSubject: Brent backs Fletcher as full time Manager   Brent backs Fletcher as full time Manager EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 9:27 am

As it says on the tin. Farm rumours are linking us with championship players, but I fear that things will now be done on the cheap (and lead to the conference). Brent also recently repeated the comment about the core of the Argyle squad being good enough to get into the Championship (whoever told him that must be an Exeterfan! I blame Sandford Very Happy )-

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Brent backs Fletcher as full time Manager   Brent backs Fletcher as full time Manager EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 10:04 am

Chemical Ali wrote:
As it says on the tin. Farm rumours are linking us with championship players, but I fear that things will now be done on the cheap (and lead to the conference). Brent also recently repeated the comment about the core of the Argyle squad being good enough to get into the Championship (whoever told him that must be an Exeterfan! I blame Sandford Very Happy )-

Seeing as GOS have photos of Brent arriving at Cheltenham, closely followed by Newell [waving to the adoring Avivas] and one of his knuckleheads, it looks like he's taking advice from one who always gets it wrong. Oh dear ...........

Back to top Go down
X Isle

X Isle

PostSubject: Re: Brent backs Fletcher as full time Manager   Brent backs Fletcher as full time Manager EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 10:26 am

Good, there's been a noticable improvement in the squad since Reid left. If they can get more out of what they already had then they should be given the chance to suppliment that squad.

As for Championship players though, why the f**k would they come here and what we need good lower league players anyway, not artisans. My problem with Reid was his persistence of using top league contacts to source skillfull but lightweight kids. We're in a hole, we need men to dig us out, not boys.

We've been beggars not choosers and the kids have given their all, we can't blame them for our position. But if we're now in a position to be choosers, we need to sign experienced L1 L2 players, not more kids, and not more top 2 division players either there isn't the space to play down here that they are used to.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Brent backs Fletcher as full time Manager   Brent backs Fletcher as full time Manager EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 10:51 am

X Isle wrote:
Good, there's been a noticable improvement in the squad since Reid left. If they can get more out of what they already had then they should be given the chance to suppliment that squad.

As for Championship players though, why the f**k would they come here and what we need good lower league players anyway, not artisans. My problem with Reid was his persistence of using top league contacts to source skillfull but lightweight kids. We're in a hole, we need men to dig us out, not boys.

We've been beggars not choosers and the kids have given their all, we can't blame them for our position. But if we're now in a position to be choosers, we need to sign experienced L1 L2 players, not more kids, and not more top 2 division players either there isn't the space to play down here that they are used to.

From what I witnessed at Oxford, there seemed to be plenty of space to play, if you can. With few exceptions, our current players are just not good enough.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brent backs Fletcher as full time Manager   Brent backs Fletcher as full time Manager EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 12:36 pm

Confirmed.

Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Brent backs Fletcher as full time Manager   Brent backs Fletcher as full time Manager EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 3:42 pm

X Isle wrote:

Reid did not have the option to sign experienced players suitable for this division,as was seen by the very quick volte face shown by Dickinson and Elding in the summer.Turning your argument around a little,why on earth would players of that type have joined in the summer with all the uncertainty that surrounded the club? I was very surprised that we actually managed to put a team out for the opening fixture,TBH.You could also add that little Argentinian winger to those two-i think he's joined Burton or somebody now.And sorry, i don't agree about the "more space to play" in the higher divisions argument.Clubs such as Swansea,Doncaster,Hull,etc,have shown in recent years that its perfectly possible to build a team in the lowest division and retain the nucleus of players,playing a similar style of football,through the divisions.This is a test now of Mr Brent's intentions-Fletcher will need as much help and backing as he can get financially and i wish him luck.BTW,how long have Fletcher and Larriue been appointed for? Doesn't say in the statement.
Back to top Go down
X Isle

X Isle

PostSubject: Re: Brent backs Fletcher as full time Manager   Brent backs Fletcher as full time Manager EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 4:11 pm

Greenskin, I was referring to Reids transfer activity across the piece, not just this summer. He was of course a beggar not a chooser this summer but all last season it was kids, kids and more kids, scouted from premiership youth teams. The bottom two divisons are mens leagues and the kids were brushed off too easily, however good their technical groundings were.

Why did they come here this summer?, damn right, they had nowhere else to go. I'm not saying they're the answer, most will be gone within a year, my point was about Fletch and Ro not the players. They've made more out of the pigs ear they had than Reid could manage. They're not a silk purse now and never will be but the extra energy and purpose they've managed to squeeze out of them kids shows that as leaders, they're worth persevering with.

We need experienced players, if my observations are correct and F&R can motivate a team and equip them with a plan, they'll get more out of the experienced players too. So great news they've signed on, best of luck to them, there won't be a lot of money available to them but i've more confidence they'll get value for what they spend than I would have with Peter Reid spending it.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Brent backs Fletcher as full time Manager   Brent backs Fletcher as full time Manager EmptyTue Nov 01, 2011 4:40 pm

X Isle wrote:
Greenskin, I was referring to Reids transfer activity across the piece, not just this summer. He was of course a beggar not a chooser this summer but all last season it was kids, kids and more kids, scouted from premiership youth teams. The bottom two divisons are mens leagues and the kids were brushed off too easily, however good their technical groundings were.

Why did they come here this summer?, damn right, they had nowhere else to go. I'm not saying they're the answer, most will be gone within a year, my point was about Fletch and Ro not the players. They've made more out of the pigs ear they had than Reid could manage. They're not a silk purse now and never will be but the extra energy and purpose they've managed to squeeze out of them kids shows that as leaders, they're worth persevering with.

We need experienced players, if my observations are correct and F&R can motivate a team and equip them with a plan, they'll get more out of the experienced players too. So great news they've signed on, best of luck to them, there won't be a lot of money available to them but i've more confidence they'll get value for what they spend than I would have with Peter Reid spending it.

I think we all hope and pray that you are correct mate. Cos if you ain't it's........................

ps been up the club like a praaaaper faaaan, to buy yer rubbers yet ? geek
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brent backs Fletcher as full time Manager   Brent backs Fletcher as full time Manager Empty

Back to top Go down

Brent backs Fletcher as full time Manager
Page 1 of 1