Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic

The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Sports Personality of the Year

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage

Sports Personality of the Year Empty
PostSubject: Sports Personality of the Year   Sports Personality of the Year EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 9:10 pm

Shortlist of 12 announced -

Bradley Wiggins
Kath Grainger
Andy Murray
Ben Ainslie
Chris Hoy
David Weir
Ellie Simmonds
Jessica Ennis
Mo Farah
Nicola Adams
Rory McIlroy
Sarah Storey

Quite a staggering year for British sporting achievement. I've been looking back at some of the previous SPOTY winners - in any other year the top 20 or 30 contenders this year would have walked away with it. Never been wholly comfortable with 'personality' but -

For sheer achievement in the last 12 months - it has to be Bradley Wiggins for me - 2nd Andy Murray - 3rd David Weir
For pure personality - Nicola Adams, Kath Grainger or Mo Farah

No Ian Poulter - shame

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sports Personality of the Year   Sports Personality of the Year EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 9:12 pm

Mo Farah for me, with Wiggins and Ainslie in the frame too.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sports Personality of the Year   Sports Personality of the Year EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 9:22 pm

Mo farah should win with double gold in an athletics event, Andy Murrays had an amazing year but isn't liked by everyone.

I hope it's Bradley Wiggins. As well as his Olympics success he won the tour de France which is a challenge not a sporting event really. Incredible feat and if we were France or Spain he would be a massive superstar compared to what he is here.

I love his persona as well. Mod boy for me, followed ny Murray and mcilroy, but I reckon it will be farah, Ennis and Wiggins.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sports Personality of the Year   Sports Personality of the Year EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 10:00 pm

I remember back in the day that Red Rum appeared live in the SPOTY studio after his 3rd Grand National win. I don't suppose the £100 million rated Frankel would pop in for a quickie this year.
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: Sports Personality of the Year   Sports Personality of the Year EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 10:33 pm

Ellie Simmonds for me with Mo Farah second and Jessica Ennis third.

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Sports Personality of the Year   Sports Personality of the Year EmptyMon Nov 26, 2012 10:42 pm

In general people with little or no interest in sport like my wife and some of the people I work with simply adore Ellie Simmonds. She could easily surprise everybody and romp home. You only had to see how the crowd went absolutely ape during the Paralympic closing ceremony whenever she appeared on the big screen to see that her popularity is enormous. And very deserved it is too. But my prediction says 1. Wiggins, 2. Murray, 3. Farah.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

PostSubject: Re: Sports Personality of the Year   Sports Personality of the Year EmptyTue Nov 27, 2012 10:11 am

Wiggins. TdF plus gold outdoes any other achievement.

Then Mo.
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/
Chingers

Chingers

PostSubject: Re: Sports Personality of the Year   Sports Personality of the Year EmptyTue Nov 27, 2012 10:48 am

Hang on the Euro's were this year. Why no England footballers?

Wiggins, Farah, Ennis. Let's face it anyone on that list could come second or third. Only two winners for me though, Wiggins or Farah.

Wiggins first ever Brit to win the TDF and follow it up with an Olympic Gold is pretty special. Not taking away anything from any of the other athletes but winning a race that lasts two weeks, over thousands of miles with a massive margin for things to go wrong is fantastic.

If it was an actual personality contest then Andy Murray for me. He's so charismatic!
Back to top Go down
http://www.haleendafc.co.uk
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

PostSubject: Re: Sports Personality of the Year   Sports Personality of the Year EmptyTue Nov 27, 2012 10:54 am

Mo Farah is the first man to beat The Cube
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/
Chingers

Chingers

PostSubject: Re: Sports Personality of the Year   Sports Personality of the Year EmptyTue Nov 27, 2012 11:02 am

Yeah fair play. The Cube's been concentrating on films rather than his rap battles though.
Back to top Go down
http://www.haleendafc.co.uk

PostSubject: Re: Sports Personality of the Year   Sports Personality of the Year EmptyTue Nov 27, 2012 11:29 am

Bradley Wiggins for me followed by Andy Murray and then Mo Farah
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sports Personality of the Year   Sports Personality of the Year EmptyTue Nov 27, 2012 11:37 am

There's too many that are worthy to choose from, I'm struggling with this one.
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: Sports Personality of the Year   Sports Personality of the Year EmptyTue Nov 27, 2012 12:33 pm

GOB wrote:
There's too many that are worthy to choose from, I'm struggling with this one.

Fletcher then? Very Happy

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sports Personality of the Year   Sports Personality of the Year Empty

Back to top Go down

Sports Personality of the Year
Page 1 of 1