Rickler
Tgwu
14 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Greenskin

Greenskin

Buy a Season Ticket - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Buy a Season Ticket   Buy a Season Ticket - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 9:00 pm

oddball wrote:
tonycholwell wrote:
Iggy wrote:
tonycholwell wrote:
Grovehill wrote:
Tgwu wrote:

Buy a Season Ticket or no new players says Harry

"So, as we start the second part of the membership drive, I can say to the fans that the more money we get through sales will go directly to helping Carl improve the quality of football on the pitch, and us improving the experience at Home Park for the supporters on match-days.

"It's what I would call a virtuous circle in that the better funded we are by our membership scheme, the more likely we are to succeed.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

if you cut out all the bullshit, what has actually been said is:

"If you want a better team, you can pay for it 'cos I'm not!"

How I long for the good old days when a new Chairman (like Dan) would take over and pump his own money into the club!

And thats a very valid point Grovey.

But, it was not the basis that Brent came to the club and he said so from the outset.

Alongside such things as, "we should be a league 1 club minimun or more like CCC", "I will do whatever it takes to get this club back to where it belongs", "I will make sure Carl has a competitive budget for this league" and lets not forget "keep off the pitch if you want a new striker".
The thing is TC that the penny has finally started to drop with all but the thickest or most unrealistic fans. We have been bought by another property developer, his successes to date include buying the club for feck all, asset stripping the building land adjoining the club, the cost to him again feck all, paying feck all to the staff debt's because guess what? It's OUR club. Do you know what I feel cheated, I knew I was going to be, but I was told that I was a loose cannon, a freak a weirdo ect. ect. Funnily enough I am with Totnes Comma Mike on the enjoying my day out at the football, I do enjoy the day out, but I am one of the ones that does pay to see a match, does Brent even do that?

Iggy, we probably agree on the match day experience, I enjoy it as Ive had some fab match days/weekends in Plymouth and around the country over the past 3 years. The actual matches are harder to count as memorable but when they have arrived, at Accringtton and the Memorial Stadium they have felt even sweeter.

But I fully understood that a Brent owned club would not be a club where riches would be put in. He made it clear from before Day 1 that the club would have to be self supporting; Im still not sure why others did not hear what I heard.

It is clear what was in it for JB and salvation as a club was what we got in return. I think Im too old and cynical/hard bitten to feel cheated. I listened carefully and heard what was on offer after deducting the hype.

For this season? Well, the deficiences are still as apparent as they were last season and too many players who will add little except use up valuable Division 4 quality wages. Suffice to say the back 4 and keeper positions look sound, but generally, we have too large a squad for this division in view of the fact we need some quality still to come in. But the squad is likely to get bigger and we will still have one of the highest average attendances in this division, the debt affects that very little so we should still have some money to play with.

And heres a final thought; how much are we prepared to pay for these key players? A proven goalscorer in this division for £100,000pa? £150,000pa? £200,000pa or more? A commanding and creative midfielder, the same amounts? If you are looking for harmony in the dressing room is that what you pay?
TC with due respects I very nuch doubt that Darren Purse is getting the same pay as the rest.I would suggest that he is getting megabucks more even treble bucks.You see you have to pay for quality and thats what players like Purse give you at this level and it stands out a mile in his play,plus he inspires others.Blanchard for example has progressed leaps and bounds after playing alongside Purse.Now another key position is striker and if you want a decent one you have to pay the going rate once again.Mega bucks treble bucks that is what you have to do.As for harmony in the dressing room,if all the players are picking up win bonuses week after week then I see no problem

Bit of an old chestnut,the "harmony in the dressing room" slogan.Would Wayne Rooney be on the same money as Wellbeck at Manchester United? And i recall a very interesting comment from Pulis when he was in charge down here to the effect that goalscoring strikers in the CCC are the most sought after commodity and would accordingly attract bigger salaries than other players in different positions,so he obviously didn't pay much attention to the concept.It was used as an excuse not to bring in players of the right quality when we reached the CCC last time and were attracting 16000 gates,it can't be said that the policy was effective- it left us with a pile of unresaleable rubbish who contributed virtually nothing on the field and simply were an unproductive drain on resources.

And Mr Brent gave two interviews to the Sunday Independent upon completion of takeover to outline his vision and plans for Argyle's short and long term future,which i precised and posted to this site [can't seem to find the damned things,the historical post section only stretches back 8 pages]. At no time do i recall him saying that Argyle were to "live within their means",whatever the exact definition of that oft used phrase is.My signature comprises part of the text of one of those interviews and he has stated since that Argyle would have a competitive budget and would definitely be promoted to league 1 under his stewardship,although i don't think he specified this year,to be fair.He did make the "any talk of finishing other than first is defeatist" statement and thats terrific.Talk the talk,then walk the walk would be a fair summary of my feelings on Mr Brent's words.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Buy a Season Ticket   Buy a Season Ticket - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 9:04 pm

If here was a sudden surge in memberships, what guarantee's are there that the money will be used to sign new playera and won't go towards paying off debt?
Back to top Go down
Moist_Von_Lipwig

Moist_Von_Lipwig

PostSubject: Re: Buy a Season Ticket   Buy a Season Ticket - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 9:04 pm

Surely Brent's "advisers" have told him that he will ultimately be judged by what happens on the pitch (and nothing else really)!

Build a successful team and they will come!
Back to top Go down
Grovehill

PostSubject: Re: Buy a Season Ticket   Buy a Season Ticket - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 9:12 pm

Back of an envelope calculations show we would have to buy another 500 full memberships to generate enough income pay one new player £2000.pw

By the time you add on NI, PAYE, agents fees etc you's probably be looking at having to sell 15% more memberships than we have done to get in that "quality player" --on a free transfer!

A far better option would, of course, been to let go half a dozen of the current oversized squad and use the wages freed up on one or two players of a better standard.

If you assemble a squad of fourth Division players, that's probably where you'll end up.

As for the club not giving out any information about budgets, I would point out that:

1. As the owner clearly isn't putting his hand in his pocket, I see no reason why WE shouldn't see were OUR money is being spent

2. Perhaps if the supporters had looked at the books a few years ago, we wouldn't be in the shit now!

3. Harry must have presented a plan to the League. It would be interesting to see how the club is performing (financially) against that plan

4. The buckets are still being rattled-even Pasoti has been asking how the repayments are going!

5. Seeing how things really are might actually bring expectations into line with reality.

6. Why the secrecy? I don't want to know what Darren Purse is earning, but I'm sure most fans would be interested to know what % of income goes on player wages, staff wages, debt repayment etc. In my experience, the reason things get hidden is usually because there's something to hide.

At the moment the club is selling us a pig-in-a-poke
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Buy a Season Ticket   Buy a Season Ticket - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 9:19 pm

MVL,but JB by his latest statement is putting the cart before the horse in expecting fans to shell out for memberships in order to fund a decent striker.Rather than buy a decent striker first and afterwards encourage the fans to come along and see him score.Its very similar to his strategy of buying the club then getting the club to pay for itself rather than JB who gets all the benefits and none of the debts.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Buy a Season Ticket   Buy a Season Ticket - Page 4 EmptyTue Jul 17, 2012 9:27 pm

1. I'm afraid that once you hand over your money it becomes somebody else's money.

2. Cannot see how that was possible but it might have been good if they could.

3. Would be of great interest if the details could be got. Doubt it though.

4. Don't see why that information cannot be released. That really is our money.

5. Transparency was a key word but again can't see Brent opening up his business to scrutiny.

6. We already know it's up to 55% but what we don't know is what 55% is in cash terms.

Whatever your feelings are about Brent, he is first and foremost a businessman and they don't hand out information they don't have to to anyone. Apart from the last years balance sheet when it's posted that is about as close as anyone will get and frankly can expect to get whoever is in the Owner's seat at any club.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Buy a Season Ticket   Buy a Season Ticket - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 12:31 am

Just for info I have now had a PM from Mr President. It does not answer my question or even mention it. I am disappointed.
Back to top Go down
Grovehill

PostSubject: Re: Buy a Season Ticket   Buy a Season Ticket - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 9:43 am

Sensiblegreeny wrote:
Just for info I have now had a PM from Mr President. It does not answer my question or even mention it. I am disappointed.

But surely, the Honour of being contacted by The Great One is enough?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Buy a Season Ticket   Buy a Season Ticket - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 9:45 am

Maybe we could use an advertising hoarding after all? Something along the lines of;

New Chairman wanted, must understand what a football team is, property development skills and asset stripping qualities not needed there are no assets at this club any more.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Buy a Season Ticket   Buy a Season Ticket - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 9:46 am

Sensiblegreeny wrote:

Why am I not surprised ?

you wrote.........

I don't go along with this bring Webb and Newell on side and it will fool the masses. The influence these people have on the masses is little and insignificant. Probably 75% of people likely to go to Argyle have little or no knowledge of either of them. They certainly don't follow them on websites. My estimate would be less than a hundred might, and that is might not would, be influenced which is nothing like a number to run a business plan on. The Webb/Newell thing is just a red herring.

If that is the case why has he done it ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Buy a Season Ticket   Buy a Season Ticket - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 4:53 pm

Chris Webb because of the respect he gained during the war that was administration.

Newell because of the money he has helped to raise. People get knighted by the Queen for charitable work so it isn't a unique precident is it.

That is a long way from expecting them to have great influence on the way people think now. If you are so much cleverer than Brent is Tring then why aren't you running a large company and worth millions? Or maybe you are.........................
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Buy a Season Ticket   Buy a Season Ticket - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 4:58 pm

Maybe the clever people have actually pursued different paths other than making money. (Or at least that's what I used to think - now I don't have any I'm not so sure. I certainly can't afford to buy a season-ticket).
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Buy a Season Ticket   Buy a Season Ticket - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 5:04 pm

I'm not going down that route again SG. It has been done to death ffs.

You have your interpretation of how and why things have and are being done and I have mine.

By the way, if I'd never left Plymouth I'd probably still be there ever match with my mates........................if I had any lol !
Back to top Go down
lawnmowerman

lawnmowerman

PostSubject: Re: Buy a Season Ticket   Buy a Season Ticket - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 5:07 pm

Sensiblegreeny wrote:

Mr president likes his PMs He thinks it might keep the natives happy/quiet . ERRRR no. Keep trying chris.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Buy a Season Ticket   Buy a Season Ticket - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 5:08 pm

If Brent is as thick and naive as people are trying to represent him as then he hasn't done badly on it has he.

You are just trying to disguise yourself as an intelligent pauper knecht whereas you are just a thicko pauper really. It's what all self respecting thicko paupers do using the "satisfaction in life is more important that wealth". No it fecking isn't.

lol!
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Buy a Season Ticket   Buy a Season Ticket - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 5:13 pm

Don't think anyone is saying Brent is thick. Quite the opposite.

He is probably naive with regard the club if he seriously thinks that any people other than the already hooked will buy in to what is currently on offer.

I daresay his puppets have told him they can rouse the mighty green army with flags, fests and fighting talk Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Buy a Season Ticket   Buy a Season Ticket - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 5:17 pm

I look out at the river. I watch and listen to the birds. I stroll. I volunteer. I read. I listen to music. I meet with a good group of friends frequently. I watch the seasons come and go. I see sunsets from my windows. I spend time with my daughters. I sit and think. Most of that is free or cheap.

What more do you want? (Enough to buy a season ticket and the occasional meal at a fine restaurant notwithstanding).

The love of money is the root of all evil. Very Happy

By the way, the title of this thread should be "Buy membership"!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Buy a Season Ticket   Buy a Season Ticket - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 5:53 pm

Careful or the "pedantic" tag will be awarded.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Buy a Season Ticket   Buy a Season Ticket - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 5:59 pm

Sensiblegreeny wrote:
Careful or the "pedantic" tag will be awarded.

Don't fret. You have that award in perpetuity. You're a natural.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Buy a Season Ticket   Buy a Season Ticket - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 6:03 pm

Tringreen wrote:

I daresay his puppets have told him they can rouse the mighty green army with flags, fests and fighting talk Rolling Eyes

I'm sure that has a lot to do with it ... and the 400K thing, which they then thought they'd dump on the Trust to keep them occupied in a hopeless task.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Buy a Season Ticket   Buy a Season Ticket - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 6:05 pm

Sensiblegreeny wrote:
Chris Webb because of the respect he gained during the war that was administration.

Newell because of the money he has helped to raise. People get knighted by the Queen for charitable work so it isn't a unique precident is it.

That is a long way from expecting them to have great influence on the way people think now. If you are so much cleverer than Brent is Tring then why aren't you running a large company and worth millions? Or maybe you are.........................

Or can I suggest...

Chris Webb because as leader of the Trust he had control over the only fans voice at that time and could create a favorable agenda slanted towards Brent and is easily motivated by publicity and titles.

Ian Newell because he owned and controls fans opinion on what was Argyle's only real fans site for opinion and has been prepared to use whatever methods are necessary to install a perspective that the fans are 100% behind Brent's agenda and at any cost, no matter how personal to anyone that has a differing opinion.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Buy a Season Ticket   Buy a Season Ticket - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 6:14 pm

You're a fat barsteward Tring but I guess you could slim down eventually. For me clearly there is no cure.

I repeat does anyone really seriously believe that Brent listens intently to either Webb or Newell and what they may tell him they can deliver. Does anyone really believe they even believe they could deliver?

You may suggest away GOB if that is your want. Amazingly I don't think my slant is neccessarily the only thought on the subject. Your's is far too House of Cards for me.
Back to top Go down
shonbo

shonbo

PostSubject: Re: Buy a Season Ticket   Buy a Season Ticket - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 6:17 pm

Maybe a bit of both?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Buy a Season Ticket   Buy a Season Ticket - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 6:35 pm

Which part is your answer to Shonbo? I hope it's the first one.....
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Buy a Season Ticket   Buy a Season Ticket - Page 4 EmptyWed Jul 18, 2012 6:41 pm

Sensiblegreeny wrote:
You're a fat barsteward Tring but I guess you could slim down eventually. For me clearly there is no cure.

I repeat does anyone really seriously believe that Brent listens intently to either Webb or Newell and what they may tell him they can deliver. Does anyone really believe they even believe they could deliver?

You may suggest away GOB if that is your want. Amazingly I don't think my slant is neccessarily the only thought on the subject. Your's is far too House of Cards for me.

Check out track records SG, you may then reconsider.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Buy a Season Ticket   Buy a Season Ticket - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Buy a Season Ticket
Page 4 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next