Flat_Track_Bully
pepsipete
Rickler
Mock Cuncher
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

Local Elections 2012 Empty
PostSubject: Local Elections 2012   Local Elections 2012 EmptySat May 05, 2012 1:42 am

Surprised there has been nothing about the local elections on here yet. (apologies for the openness of my opinions - I do intend to take politics at Uni)

As you have probably seen, Labour appear to have taken the local elections by storm, including winning Plymouth and Exeter from the Conservatives. Clearly, fickle voters have ticked the red box due to the current under performing government, it seems they are able to totally change their political ideas which I find astonishing. Obviously, I am talking about a minority here, as very few actually decided to vote this year. If I could vote, I would never vote for a party under the direction of Ed Milliband.

The Liberal Democrats have been swept aside leaving a bemused Nick Clegg, another leader who I would pledge no faith in at all, after his direct failure to deliver on his 'student promises'. The 3 major party leaders look very weak in my opinion, with the best being David Cameron, though I don't think it will be too long before Boris Johnson takes charge of the Conservatives, this is just a prediction however.

Something I find very funny, a man dressed as a penguin (his own independent party consisting of 1 man in a penguin suit) managed to get himself 422 votes in Edinburgh, more than the Liberal Democrats and the Green Party.

UKIP seem to have done very well, and a lot of 'hype' about them at the moment, however I think the UKIP's main policy at the moment is to pick up angry conservatives, and offer the foundations for their protest.

Other parties such as the residents association, The independent community and Health concern party, The respect party have all picked up some seats.

The biggest party not to claim any seats at all (loosing the 12 they were defending) were the British National Party who embarked on an extensive campaign in London and the obvious areas in the North of England.

A real shambles.

Minor rant over.

Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

PostSubject: Re: Local Elections 2012   Local Elections 2012 EmptySat May 05, 2012 4:42 am

Block4Green wrote:
Surprised there has been nothing about the local elections on here yet. (apologies for the openness of my opinions - I do intend to take politics at Uni)

As you have probably seen, Labour appear to have taken the local elections by storm, including winning Plymouth and Exeter from the Conservatives. Clearly, fickle voters have ticked the red box due to the current under performing government, it seems they are able to totally change their political ideas which I find astonishing. Obviously, I am talking about a minority here, as very few actually decided to vote this year. If I could vote, I would never vote for a party under the direction of Ed Milliband.
If you were serious about taking politics at uni, you'd realise that local elections down here don't have that much to do with Miliband, you'd know Plymouth has traditionally been a stronghold of the bleeding red heart of the proletariat and instead find it odd that Tories ever got anywhere locally, and you'd realise that there is a dearth of desirable leadership anywhere in the country at the moment. I couldn't be bothered to vote and don't think people should do so when the options are so exiguous.
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/
Rickler

Rickler

PostSubject: Re: Local Elections 2012   Local Elections 2012 EmptySat May 05, 2012 5:29 am

Mock Cuncher wrote:
exiguous.

Sod you, you "educated wanker"... You forced me to look up a word.

"excessively scanty."

I like it...
Back to top Go down
pepsipete

pepsipete

PostSubject: Re: Local Elections 2012   Local Elections 2012 EmptySat May 05, 2012 6:12 am

Once they came up with the so called Pasty Tax, the Tories goose was cooked in Plymouth.
Back to top Go down
Flat_Track_Bully

Flat_Track_Bully

PostSubject: Re: Local Elections 2012   Local Elections 2012 EmptySat May 05, 2012 3:50 pm

The increase in the Labour vote has little to do with Miliband or his policies (whatever they might be!) and probably very little to do with the local issues in most cases. It's a reaction to the unpopularity of the current coalition and their policies. A similar reason explains why most cities voted against having elected Mayors (a idea backed by the coalition).

People switching from Conservatives to Labour isn't really that much of a surprise. The press try to make out that there is a big difference between the three main parties, but the reality is that they are incredibly similar in terms of outlook and policies. They all preach a similar form of free market capitalism and are refusing to budge from that particular form of capitalism despite the recent financial crisis caused by it. They have all promised large cuts to public services, and are all committed to continued privitisation. They are all interested in increasingly restricting civil liberties and increasing the amount of data held on individuals. Furthermore the leading members of all the three parties now come from a very similar backgrounds (both Cameron and Milliband studied PPE at Oxford, Both Clegg and Cameron went to fee paying schools - two similarities they share with many other cabinet ministers). The similarity between the three main parties is part of the reason for the continued low turnouts in both council and general elections, as most people know that in effect they are being given no choice. Even within those who do vote, I suspect a majority are voting on a 'the best of a bad bunch' basis. Given their similarity it isn't surprising that people switch between the parties so easily.

What we have in this country at the current time is an illusion of democracy. The three main parties come nowhere near to representing a range of political views, and have a stranglehold over the political system because of the FPTP voting system for general elections, and the expense required in setting up a new party. Furthermore politicians feel free to openly lie about their intentions prior to elections (see Clegg's tuition fee 'promise', and Cameron's promise not to reorganise the NHS) making democracy a sham (I wonder how many Lib Dem voters from the last election are horrified as to what their vote has been used for? Quite a few given the drubbing the Fib Dems are now taking in the Polls).
Back to top Go down
http://www.sciencebrainwaves.com/
pepsipete

pepsipete

PostSubject: Re: Local Elections 2012   Local Elections 2012 EmptySat May 05, 2012 4:22 pm

I am a lifelong Liberal (from before the Dems were invented) and as you say am horrified with them joining up with the Tories so voted Labour this time around.
Back to top Go down
tcm

tcm

PostSubject: Re: Local Elections 2012   Local Elections 2012 EmptySun May 06, 2012 1:37 pm

Flat_Track_Bully wrote:
The increase in the Labour vote has little to do with Miliband or his policies (whatever they might be!) and probably very little to do with the local issues in most cases. It's a reaction to the unpopularity of the current coalition and their policies. A similar reason explains why most cities voted against having elected Mayors (a idea backed by the coalition).

People switching from Conservatives to Labour isn't really that much of a surprise. The press try to make out that there is a big difference between the three main parties, but the reality is that they are incredibly similar in terms of outlook and policies. They all preach a similar form of free market capitalism and are refusing to budge from that particular form of capitalism despite the recent financial crisis caused by it. They have all promised large cuts to public services, and are all committed to continued privitisation. They are all interested in increasingly restricting civil liberties and increasing the amount of data held on individuals. Furthermore the leading members of all the three parties now come from a very similar backgrounds (both Cameron and Milliband studied PPE at Oxford, Both Clegg and Cameron went to fee paying schools - two similarities they share with many other cabinet ministers). The similarity between the three main parties is part of the reason for the continued low turnouts in both council and general elections, as most people know that in effect they are being given no choice. Even within those who do vote, I suspect a majority are voting on a 'the best of a bad bunch' basis. Given their similarity it isn't surprising that people switch between the parties so easily.

What we have in this country at the current time is an illusion of democracy. The three main parties come nowhere near to representing a range of political views, and have a stranglehold over the political system because of the FPTP voting system for general elections, and the expense required in setting up a new party. Furthermore politicians feel free to openly lie about their intentions prior to elections (see Clegg's tuition fee 'promise', and Cameron's promise not to reorganise the NHS) making democracy a sham (I wonder how many Lib Dem voters from the last election are horrified as to what their vote has been used for? Quite a few given the drubbing the Fib Dems are now taking in the Polls).
you say we have an illusion of democresy?how about moving to africa and trying there way,,,this island is full of spoilt people who dont know how good they have it,,
Back to top Go down
Flat_Track_Bully

Flat_Track_Bully

PostSubject: Re: Local Elections 2012   Local Elections 2012 EmptySun May 06, 2012 1:51 pm

tcm wrote:
you say we have an illusion of democresy?how about moving to africa and trying there way,,,this island is full of spoilt people who dont know how good they have it,,

Where do I say that we have it worse than Africa? Just because our system is better than the dictatorships that exist in some African countries that doesn't mean it's perfect, or even acceptable. Or should we just nod along and accept things as they are just because there are countries that are worse? Should we be happy with Argyle finishing 89th in the football league because 'we have it better' than Barnet?

Also you might want to learn how to spell democracy.
Back to top Go down
http://www.sciencebrainwaves.com/
tcm

tcm

PostSubject: Re: Local Elections 2012   Local Elections 2012 EmptySun May 06, 2012 4:36 pm

Flat_Track_Bully wrote:
tcm wrote:

Where do I say that we have it worse than Africa? Just because our system is better than the dictatorships that exist in some African countries that doesn't mean it's perfect, or even acceptable. Or should we just nod along and accept things as they are just because there are countries that are worse? Should we be happy with Argyle finishing 89th in the football league because 'we have it better' than Barnet?

why would i want to learn to spell that,,,your part of the problem,part of the blame culture thats rife in this country,some people are never happy and you seem to be one of those,,,lifes so hard in the uk lol...so anyway your saying we have no democreCy in this country?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Local Elections 2012   Local Elections 2012 EmptySun May 06, 2012 5:35 pm

tcm wrote:
Flat_Track_Bully wrote:
tcm wrote:

why would i want to learn to spell that,,,your part of the problem,part of the blame culture thats rife in this country,some people are never happy and you seem to be one of those,,,lifes so hard in the uk lol...so anyway your saying we have no democreCy in this country?

You're blaming Flat_Track_Bully for being part of the blame culture?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Local Elections 2012   Local Elections 2012 EmptySun May 06, 2012 7:40 pm

pepsipete wrote:
I am a lifelong Liberal (from before the Dems were invented) and as you say am horrified with them joining up with the Tories so voted Labour this time around.

Frankly, the Liberal Democrats joining forces with the Conservative party was a very silly mistake by Clegg, Labour remained by themselves, and have done very well in preaching their policies (as much as I dislike what Labour stand for) and gaining more support, I feel, the Liberal Democrats would have been better off doing that also!
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

PostSubject: Re: Local Elections 2012   Local Elections 2012 EmptySun May 06, 2012 7:54 pm

Block4Green wrote:
(as much as I dislike what Labour stand for)
Why? What do you think they stand for?

Is Mr. Allen still the economics/politics teacher at DHS by any chance?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Local Elections 2012   Local Elections 2012 EmptySun May 06, 2012 7:58 pm

Mock Cuncher wrote:
Block4Green wrote:

I will put it simply, I very much dislike Ed Miliband and I think we are heading for disaster if a man like him comes into power, I hated Gordon Brown, and regardless of what people say, I still consider him the main culprit of the credit crunch, Labour pushed it further. Labour are hesitant to change.

And I have never heard of somebody called Mr Allen, It is Mr Riggs or Mr Macloud (I am leaving DHS in 3 weeks anyway and joining Plymouth High for Girls sixth form to study Law, RS and History
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Local Elections 2012   Local Elections 2012 EmptySun May 06, 2012 8:06 pm

Block4Green wrote:
I will put it simply, I very much dislike Ed Miliband and I think we are heading for disaster if a man like him comes into power, I hated Gordon Brown, and regardless of what people say, I still consider him the main culprit of the credit crunch, Labour pushed it further. Labour are hesitant to change.

And there in a nutshell we have everything that's wrong with what's laughably called politics nowadays.

Politics isn't about individual personalities and number crunching at election time, or at least it shouldn't be. Politics is supposed to be about ideas, and ideals, and about how to put those ideas into action, and how to achieve those ideals. Let's call it ideology for short.

Sadly, ideology went out the window some time in the mid 1990s, although the Tories are doing a pretty good job of bringing their particular brand back.

And breathe ...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Local Elections 2012   Local Elections 2012 EmptySun May 06, 2012 8:11 pm

Block4Green wrote:
Mock Cuncher wrote:
Block4Green wrote:

And I have never heard of somebody called Mr Allen, It is Mr Riggs or Mr Macloud (I am leaving DHS in 3 weeks anyway and joining Plymouth High for Girls sixth form to study Law, RS and History

You're going to Plymouth High for Girls? Am I missing something Cobi? I knew you were having a hernia op but it sounds like they sliced a bit further south than was required.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Local Elections 2012   Local Elections 2012 EmptySun May 06, 2012 8:16 pm

Greenjock wrote:
Block4Green wrote:
Mock Cuncher wrote:
Block4Green wrote:

You're going to Plymouth High for Girls? Am I missing something Cobi? I knew you were having a hernia op but it sounds like they sliced a bit further south than was required.

There are currently 20 boys at PHS sixth form, legally, any sex can attend sixth forms regardless of the other years. Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Local Elections 2012   Local Elections 2012 EmptySun May 06, 2012 8:34 pm

Block4Green wrote:
Greenjock wrote:
Block4Green wrote:
Mock Cuncher wrote:
Block4Green wrote:

There are currently 20 boys at PHS sixth form, legally, any sex can attend sixth forms regardless of the other years. Very Happy

I might write to them to suggest dropping the "for girls" bit. Will save any confusion, and a fortune in ink for their letterheads.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Local Elections 2012   Local Elections 2012 EmptySun May 06, 2012 10:27 pm

The new Councillor here in Devonport worries me. She's an 18 year old schoolgirl.

Now, before anyone accuses me of sexism or ageism, i'm neither of those. It's good to see young people getting involved in politics - I joined the Labour Party when I was 16, and women are woefully under-represented at all levels of British politics.

No, the thing that worries me is that I may have a problem or concern that requires my new councillor's attention. And by raising the matter with her, I'm worried that I may feel guilty about interrupting her Sociology homework.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Local Elections 2012   Local Elections 2012 EmptySun May 06, 2012 10:44 pm

Well you will live in plymouths version of baghdad.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Local Elections 2012   Local Elections 2012 EmptySun May 06, 2012 11:36 pm

Andy_Symons wrote:
The new Councillor here in Devonport worries me. She's an 18 year old schoolgirl.

Now, before anyone accuses me of sexism or ageism, i'm neither of those. It's good to see young people getting involved in politics - I joined the Labour Party when I was 16, and women are woefully under-represented at all levels of British politics.

No, the thing that worries me is that I may have a problem or concern that requires my new councillor's attention. And by raising the matter with her, I'm worried that I may feel guilty about interrupting her Sociology homework.

Andy,

Kate is a very good woman, I can assure you that she will work hard for the people of Devonport.

If you have any concerns I would tke them to her.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Local Elections 2012   Local Elections 2012 EmptySun May 06, 2012 11:37 pm

Block4Green FYI Labour gained Exeter from NOC.

Last edited by Lee Jameson on Sun May 06, 2012 11:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Local Elections 2012   Local Elections 2012 EmptySun May 06, 2012 11:38 pm

Lee Jameson wrote:
Andy_Symons wrote:

Andy,

Kate is a very good woman, I can assure you that she will work hard for the people of Devonport.

I'm guessing you've left your sense of humour in Llanelli.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Local Elections 2012   Local Elections 2012 EmptySun May 06, 2012 11:43 pm

Andy_Symons wrote:
Lee Jameson wrote:
Andy_Symons wrote:

Andy,

I'm guessing you've left your sense of humour in Llanelli.

No, sorry if I misread!
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Local Elections 2012   Local Elections 2012 EmptyMon May 07, 2012 7:11 am

Labour would win the next election if they had chosen Ed's brother as leader.

That's how little it takes to sway the electorate.
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

PostSubject: Re: Local Elections 2012   Local Elections 2012 EmptyMon May 07, 2012 8:13 am

Andy_Symons wrote:

It worries me that she seemed prouder of her name trending on twitter than she was of winning her seat (albeit one which Labour should never lose).
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Local Elections 2012   Local Elections 2012 Empty

Back to top Go down

Local Elections 2012
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next