Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic

The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.

Go down 
+15
Greenlander
seadog
PatDunne
Tringreen
Rickler
harvetheslayer
zyph
mouldyoldgoat
Les Miserable
Czarcasm
Earwegoagain
Tgwu
Freathy
Dog Bone Malone
akagreengull
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage
Tgwu

Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 03, 2020 11:42 am

Angry wrote:
Tgwu wrote:
POI wrote:
Angry wrote:
doesnt seem like a lot for a decent statue £100k

See, as I'm an arty farty and cultural Luddite, your comment does not compute. Laughing

100k for a statute seems shit-loads to me, but then I am a bit of a banjo playing, swamp dwelling oik who, whilst appreciates 'The Arts' - knows feck all about them , or even where to begin to imagine how 100k isn't a lot for a statue, I mean, it's not going to be TR's 'Messenger', init mheet!

I suppose it all depends on the size, material used, time consumed, fee for commissioning etc etc. (not sure what else would be involved re pricing) I reckon I could knock something up out of old pallets for £200. Black pallets of course! Laughing

I thought it going to made of bronze and life size

Are there any photos of him knocking about that they could make a statue out off? Given all of us never saw him and google doesnt really show anything other than headshots.

it will be interesting to see what they do

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 03, 2020 12:25 pm

"bronze, black, Worzel Gummidge"

You say that as if that is a bad thing, FFS!
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 03, 2020 12:38 pm

No one really knows what he looks like, perfect. Free reign for artistic impression.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 03, 2020 12:43 pm

Tgwu wrote:
Angry wrote:
Tgwu wrote:
POI wrote:
Angry wrote:
doesnt seem like a lot for a decent statue £100k

See, as I'm an arty farty and cultural Luddite, your comment does not compute. Laughing

100k for a statute seems shit-loads to me, but then I am a bit of a banjo playing, swamp dwelling oik who, whilst appreciates 'The Arts' - knows feck all about them , or even where to begin to imagine how 100k isn't a lot for a statue, I mean, it's not going to be TR's 'Messenger', init mheet!

I suppose it all depends on the size, material used, time consumed, fee for commissioning etc etc. (not sure what else would be involved re pricing) I reckon I could knock something up out of old pallets for £200. Black pallets of course! Laughing

I thought it going to made of bronze and life size

Are there any photos of him knocking about that they could make a statue out off? Given all of us never saw him and google doesnt really show anything other than headshots.

it will be interesting to see what they do

giant pole up his arse if they made that one Laughing
Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 03, 2020 1:04 pm

humourous racist innuendo, I like it...............
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 03, 2020 2:10 pm

seadog wrote:
humourous racist innuendo, I like it...............

what are you trying to say?
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 03, 2020 2:45 pm

Angry wrote:
its a little off subject but its relevant to the ethos of why the statue is being errected probably next year. something im wondering so ill share and see what the feedback is.

When we talk about how wrongly Jack Leslie was denied the chance to play for England because he was mixed raced and too dark at that time to represent them while he was playing for Us. The city of Plymouth tends to forget and not even acknowledge even today with all the BLM saga that a sportsman who was black actually did play for England first long before Jack Leslie while he was at a Plymouth club!.

do anyone of you guys know of Jimmy Peters? he was a rugby union player whilst playing for Plymouth Albion, he represent England in 1906 against Scotland and again against France scoring a try in that game all whilst facing horrendous racism by the national press and a section of England fans for being a black man daring to play for his country England.
Jimmy actually did break the glass ceiling when it came to breaking the racial barrier even at club level that wasn't again broken until 1988 yet he isn't even acknowledged beyond a plague in the albion clubhouse.

If we are to honour Jack for something he may have done should Plymouth or indeed Albion not honour Jimmy for something that he actually did? its just a thought i have.

Unfortunate typo...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 03, 2020 2:47 pm

Czarcasm wrote:
Angry wrote:
its a little off subject but its relevant to the ethos of why the statue is being errected probably next year. something im wondering so ill share and see what the feedback is.

When we talk about how wrongly Jack Leslie was denied the chance to play for England because he was mixed raced and too dark at that time to represent them while he was playing for Us. The city of Plymouth tends to forget and not even acknowledge even today with all the BLM saga that a sportsman who was black actually did play for England first long before Jack Leslie while he was at a Plymouth club!.

do anyone of you guys know of Jimmy Peters? he was a rugby union player whilst playing for Plymouth Albion, he represent England in 1906 against Scotland and again against France scoring a try in that game all whilst facing horrendous racism by the national press and a section of England fans for being a black man daring to play for his country England.
Jimmy actually did break the glass ceiling when it came to breaking the racial barrier even at club level that wasn't again broken until 1988 yet he isn't even acknowledged beyond a plague in the albion clubhouse.

If we are to honour Jack for something he may have done should Plymouth or indeed Albion not honour Jimmy for something that he actually did? its just a thought i have.

Unfortunate typo...

dyselxia strikes again oh dear.... mind you the last time i was in there i got ill so maybe thats why i put plague instead of plaque lol.
Back to top Go down
Dog Bone Malone

Dog Bone Malone

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 03, 2020 2:49 pm

Czarcasm wrote:
Angry wrote:

Unfortunate typo...

But topical, none-the-less! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 03, 2020 2:52 pm

Maybe we could get Coulstons statue and melt it down to make ours?
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 03, 2020 3:02 pm

I see in the comments bit of the crowdfund page people keep mentioning BLM.

Then one dick says this...

'Why a statue? Doesn't that make it harder to show that Jack was black?'

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 03, 2020 3:18 pm

mouldyoldgoat wrote:
I see in the comments bit of the crowdfund page people keep mentioning BLM.

Then one dick says this...

'Why a statue? Doesn't that make it harder to show that Jack was black?'

you ought to read the comments on twitter!!! ive had to point out to a few that this statue campaign started well before the blm saga did and july 1st was the launch of the fundraiser.
Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 03, 2020 4:06 pm

[size=20]£43,088

raised of £100,000 target

[/size]

supporters

43%38 days left
Back to top Go down
Dog Bone Malone

Dog Bone Malone

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 03, 2020 5:33 pm

seadog wrote:
"bronze, black, Worzel Gummidge"

You say that as if that is a bad thing, FFS!

So a black Worzel Gummidge would be OK with you? That's clearly a misrepresentation of indigenous scarecrows and a clear breach of scarecrow rights, init - and very scarecrowist to boot.

PS: would you pull it down?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 08, 2020 11:26 am

Fund is now up to 68K. PCC have donated 20K towards it.

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 08, 2020 11:57 am

mouldyoldgoat wrote:

thats there name all over it then.  ffs they cant leave politics alone can they. Maybe they think pumping that much into the statue not that it was in danger of failing to reach its target without their input was a better horse to back after the clusterfuck of an idea thats gone down like a lead ballon of renaming that square after jack.

Last edited by Angry on Wed Jul 08, 2020 12:45 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 08, 2020 12:36 pm

....But Plymouth City Council have a 50 million deficit in their coffers, what's another 20k eh raised eyebrow
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 08, 2020 12:55 pm

Is it a Labour council?

Back to top Go down
Rickler

Rickler

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 08, 2020 5:17 pm

Angry wrote:
mouldyoldgoat wrote:

thats there name all over it then.  ffs they cant leave politics alone can they. Maybe they think pumping that much into the statue not that it was in danger of failing to reach its target without their input was a better horse to back after the clusterfuck of an idea thats gone down like a lead ballon of renaming that square after jack.

You mean we are not getting both?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 08, 2020 5:33 pm

Rickler wrote:
Angry wrote:
mouldyoldgoat wrote:

You mean we are not getting both?

tomorrow is the deadline for objections to the name of the square and to be honest im not sure if there has been any made or not beyond what the herald reported on. Tudor Evans using jack's name in the way that he has done to push his political agenda at the expense of the locals hasnt gone down well at all but nonetheless im sure he will win this tomorrow as he is determined to cash in on the BLM movement and imo he probably never heard of jack leslie in truth before the mass hysteria started which in my eyes and others is using jack as a token black and that's just as racist as being upset with sir john hawkins running slave ships.
Back to top Go down
Greenlander

Greenlander

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 08, 2020 8:34 pm

I like the idea of a Jack Leslie Square and am all for naming other city roads after Argyle greats. It's just a shame it's a piss-stained cut through behind the law courts.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 08, 2020 8:43 pm

Greenlander wrote:
I like the idea of a Jack Leslie Square and am all for naming other city roads after Argyle greats. It's just a shame it's a piss-stained cut through behind the law courts.  

It is yeah. Tbh it’ll shorely not be long after it gets renamed, that some of the professionally offended will pipe up and say it’s an insult to Leslie....because the square is nothing more than a piss-stained cut through.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 08, 2020 8:47 pm

Czarcasm wrote:
Greenlander wrote:

It is yeah. Tbh it’ll shorely not be long after it gets renamed, that some of the professionally offended will pipe up and say it’s an insult to Leslie....because the square is nothing more than a piss-stained cut through.

it must be the only time the professionally offended and the branded "racists" are in agreement on something as the the branded "racists" see it as racist to use jack in this way i have to agree with them on that as it stinks of tokenism with no real thought behind it. I walked through the square today on my way to town and its a dump im all for it being renamed higher lane court as its nothing special at all its over grown too the point i had to walk in the road to avoid the trees at the bottom end.

If the council must call it after jack they must surely tart it up somewhat before hand.
Back to top Go down
PatDunne

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 08, 2020 8:54 pm

Perhaps some Argyle fans could tart it up?
Back to top Go down
Rickler

Rickler

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. - Page 3 EmptyWed Jul 08, 2020 9:01 pm

PatDunne wrote:
Perhaps some Argyle fans could tart it up?

1/1 Pasoti

2/1 AFT

5/1 Freechat

1000/1 ATD
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.
Page 3 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next