Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic

The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.

Go down 
+15
Greenlander
seadog
PatDunne
Tringreen
Rickler
harvetheslayer
zyph
mouldyoldgoat
Les Miserable
Czarcasm
Earwegoagain
Tgwu
Freathy
Dog Bone Malone
akagreengull
19 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
AuthorMessage

Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 01, 2020 2:36 pm

POI wrote:
Angry wrote:
it will reach its target for sure probably by friday at this rate which is a good thing.

how much did nool put in just to make sure pasoti's name is all over it?

That would be just wrong, Angers. Mad  There should be no wording anywhere near it other than mentioning the name, date and perhaps a couplet to why.

If this is to happen - whoever is commissioned to do it, makes sure it's not the guy that did Ronado's bronze bust. FFS - it'll end up looking like a bronze, black, Worzel Gummidge!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

if you look at the donation page you can pay to have your name added to the plinth. I dont agree with that myself but to be honest no one will read it anyways.....unless in a hundred years time jack is fond to have done something that the future woken warriors get upset about and demand it removed.
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 01, 2020 2:39 pm

I'm going for the Ltd. Edition Rob Bullen Jack Leslie Argyle Print.

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 01, 2020 2:56 pm

Crowdfund site seems to have crashed!

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 01, 2020 4:07 pm

Angry wrote:
it will reach its target for sure probably by friday at this rate which is a good thing.

I don't think it matters what he puts in. This cause should not be about who puts in what and only about recognition for someone who was unjustly treated by the FA.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 01, 2020 4:20 pm

mouldyoldgoat wrote:
Angry wrote:

I don't think it matters what he puts in. This cause should not be about who puts in what and only about recognition for someone who was unjustly treated by the FA.

i know that you know that as does everyone else but its nool we are talking about here and he will do anything to put that pasoti stamp on anything.
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 01, 2020 4:48 pm

It's a £1000 to get your name on it or £3000 for a business.

Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 01, 2020 5:08 pm

mouldyoldgoat wrote:
Moved by me.
Thanks, good idea.
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 01, 2020 8:16 pm

mouldyoldgoat wrote:
It's a £1000 to get your name on it or £3000 for a business.

I think that's crass, we could end up with the Target Travel Jack Leslie Statue. Keep advertising out of it.
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. - Page 2 EmptyWed Jul 01, 2020 11:59 pm

36K collected so far.

Back to top Go down
harvetheslayer

harvetheslayer

Location : Wormwood Scrubs awaiting the imminent arrival of Johnson..

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 02, 2020 5:21 am

Czarcasm wrote:
akagreengull wrote:
akagreengull wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
£24,415 raised so far.

Harve will spontaneously combust when he see’s who one of the people involved in this is. cherry

lol Jameson the grubby little rat had "no passion for social justice" when he called me a kiddie fiddler on an open forum with real name

We'll meet again Jameson rest assured. xx
Back to top Go down
harvetheslayer

harvetheslayer

Location : Wormwood Scrubs awaiting the imminent arrival of Johnson..

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 02, 2020 5:23 am

mouldyoldgoat wrote:
Czarcasm wrote:
akagreengull wrote:
akagreengull wrote:
£24,415 raised so far.

Harve will spontaneously combust when he see’s who one of the people involved in this is. cherry

I thought they were friends now.

If you will persist in deliberately baiting again fella.

Back to top Go down
Rickler

Rickler

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 02, 2020 5:50 am

harvetheslayer wrote:
mouldyoldgoat wrote:
Czarcasm wrote:
akagreengull wrote:
akagreengull wrote:
£24,415 raised so far.

I thought they were friends now.

If you will persist in deliberately baiting again fella.

Hey Harve.. Haven't you figured out that spray doesn't work?
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 02, 2020 9:13 am

I remember hearing from my grandfather about the Jack Leslie incident with England. He reckoned that Argyle's outstanding inside forward combination of Jack Leslie and Sammy Black were both put forward by Bob Jack for consideration by England.
They selected Leslie because they'd heard that one of them was mixed race ! Rolling Eyes
Rated as Argyle's greatest manager, Bob Jack's son David, played for Argyle and scored the first ever cup final goal for Bolton at the famous Wembley, White Horse final in 1923, where it's estimated that 200,000 fans got in.
Bolton beat West Ham 2-0. My other grandfather from Bolton was there and said the ground was littered with caps and hats as the crowd dispersed. Virtually everyone wore hats in those days and they often threw them in the air when their team scored .

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 02, 2020 9:30 am

Tringreen wrote:
I remember hearing from my grandfather about the Jack Leslie incident with England. He reckoned that Argyle's outstanding inside forward combination of Jack Leslie and Sammy Black were both put forward by Bob Jack for consideration by England.
They selected Leslie because they'd heard that one of them was mixed race ! Rolling Eyes
Rated as Argyle's greatest manager, Bob Jack's son David, played for Argyle and scored the first ever cup final goal for Bolton at the famous Wembley, White Horse final in 1923, where it's estimated that 200,000 fans got in.
Bolton beat West Ham 2-0. My other grandfather from Bolton was there and said the ground was littered with caps and hats as the crowd dispersed. Virtually everyone wore hats in those days and they often threw them in the air when their team scored .

Maybe one day the club/fans bucket rattling again could erect something in honour of Sammy Black to go alongside the pending statue of Jack Leslie given the success those two had together.
Back to top Go down
Dog Bone Malone

Dog Bone Malone

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 02, 2020 12:43 pm

Angry wrote:
Tringreen wrote:

Maybe one day the club/fans bucket rattling again could erect something in honour of Sammy Black to go alongside the pending statue of Jack Leslie given the success those two had together.

Where does it stop though? There's literally dozens of Argo legends who could be immortalised in statue form at HP. We could end up having a Janner version of the Terracotta Army outside the main entrance! Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 02, 2020 1:02 pm

POI wrote:
Angry wrote:
Tringreen wrote:

Where does it stop though? There's literally dozens of Argo legends who could be immortalised in statue form at HP. We could end up having a Janner version of the Terracotta Army outside the main entrance! Laughing

he warrants one if jack leslie is having one. If you read up on the squad they were apart off it was very successful and they were an lethal partnership it should be acknowledged if footballing reasons are considered for Jack's statue and not just because hes black debate.
Not everyone deserves a statue of course and i'm sure the place won't look anything like a terracotta army as argyle don't have that many past players worthy of a statue but most clubs do have 2-3 statues dotted around their grounds why couldn't we. Have for example jack outside the grandstand maybe sammy black at somepoint or not alongside, mariner devonport, and whoever is worthy of one outside the lyndhurst if need be.

naturally all those considered will have background checks so not to upset future argyle fans.
Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 02, 2020 9:30 pm

£41,420 raised right now.
Back to top Go down
Dog Bone Malone

Dog Bone Malone

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 02, 2020 10:00 pm

akagreengull wrote:
£41,420 raised right now.

How much do they need to raise?
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 02, 2020 10:01 pm

100K.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. - Page 2 EmptyThu Jul 02, 2020 11:39 pm

doesnt seem like a lot for a decent statue £100k
Back to top Go down
Dog Bone Malone

Dog Bone Malone

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 03, 2020 8:42 am

Angry wrote:

See, as I'm an arty farty and cultural Luddite, your comment does not compute. Laughing

100k for a statute seems shit-loads to me, but then I am a bit of a banjo playing, swamp dwelling oik who, whilst appreciates 'The Arts' - knows feck all about them , or even where to begin to imagine how 100k isn't a lot for a statue, I mean, it's not going to be TR's 'Messenger', init mheet!

I suppose it all depends on the size, material used, time consumed, fee for commissioning etc etc. (not sure what else would be involved re pricing) I reckon I could knock something up out of old pallets for £200. Black pallets of course! Laughing
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 03, 2020 9:36 am

POI wrote:
Angry wrote:

See, as I'm an arty farty and cultural Luddite, your comment does not compute. Laughing

100k for a statute seems shit-loads to me, but then I am a bit of a banjo playing, swamp dwelling oik who, whilst appreciates 'The Arts' - knows feck all about them , or even where to begin to imagine how 100k isn't a lot for a statue, I mean, it's not going to be TR's 'Messenger', init mheet!

I suppose it all depends on the size, material used, time consumed, fee for commissioning etc etc. (not sure what else would be involved re pricing) I reckon I could knock something up out of old pallets for £200. Black pallets of course! Laughing

I thought it going to made of bronze and life size
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 03, 2020 9:39 am

Tgwu wrote:
POI wrote:
Angry wrote:

I thought it going to made of bronze and life size

Are there any photos of him knocking about that they could make a statue out off? Given all of us never saw him and google doesnt really show anything other than headshots.

it will be interesting to see what they do
Back to top Go down
PatDunne

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 03, 2020 11:12 am

I would rather have one of our top goalscorer Sammy Black to be honest.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. - Page 2 EmptyFri Jul 03, 2020 11:38 am

its a little off subject but its relevant to the ethos of why the statue is being errected probably next year. something im wondering so ill share and see what the feedback is.

When we talk about how wrongly Jack Leslie was denied the chance to play for England because he was mixed raced and too dark at that time to represent them while he was playing for Us. The city of Plymouth tends to forget and not even acknowledge even today with all the BLM saga that a sportsman who was black actually did play for England first long before Jack Leslie while he was at a Plymouth club!.

do anyone of you guys know of Jimmy Peters? he was a rugby union player whilst playing for Plymouth Albion, he represent England in 1906 against Scotland and again against France scoring a try in that game all whilst facing horrendous racism by the national press and a section of England fans for being a black man daring to play for his country England.
Jimmy actually did break the glass ceiling when it came to breaking the racial barrier even at club level that wasn't again broken until 1988 yet he isn't even acknowledged beyond a plaque in the albion clubhouse.

If we are to honour Jack for something he may have done should Plymouth or indeed Albion not honour Jimmy for something that he actually did? its just a thought i have.

Last edited by Angry on Fri Jul 03, 2020 2:51 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.   Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace. - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Jack Leslie statue campaign gathers pace.
Page 2 of 6Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next