The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans
 
HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Share
 

 Newport away tick news

Go down 
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Rickler

Rickler

Posts : 5583
Join date : 2011-05-10
Location : Inside the mind...

Newport away tick news - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newport away tick news   Newport away tick news - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 17, 2019 1:47 am

Bob Crow wrote:

I don't think people with poor credit is a barrier to them having a contactless card, my daughter who's 14 has one. Just under 18s and those with poor credit and basic accounts will only have an full online card opposed to the offline card. The cards look identical with the only visible differences bring the BIN number, for instance Natwest cards start 4751 and the next two digits are 28 for the online full authority card that will only authorize a transaction after it's been checked against the balance and the funds have been ring fenced. The offline card is 4751 29 and doesn't need authorization so a transaction will be honoured and the funds not taken until the merchant draws the funds.
When contactless first come out, yes it was only available on offline cards but that's no longer the case.
The Johannesburg Rea Veya rapid bus and Gautrain goldcards (similar to oyster cards) use to double as a prepaid contactless Mastercard and mine also worked fine here until it expired last year. I know when Plymouth Citybus started contactless a couple years ago, they were given out free Barclays contactless prepay keyfobs to appeal to anyone without a contactless card which they could top up via an app.


The world of 'offline' and 'online' cards is alien to me.  We have bank (debit) cards and Credit company Cards (visa, Amx etc).  Each has full online access.  The difference being, the debit card will only allow you to draw on available funds and the credit card allows you withdraw up to your 'credit' limit.  Nearly always a bank card also has a visa or MC feature

The point of not doing away with cash is this..  There will come a day when if you don't have a 'Money' card of some description you won't be able to buy anything. No food, no movies, no beer, no football. If the banks decides to rescind your credit you will be screwed. Or if you fall behind on your  payments, you will be a credit 'risk' and therefore will need to buy your next bank 'money' card at a premium.  They will track every financial transaction you make.  Including the ones to those porn sites and strip clubs you might want to visit - how you going to keep those off the statement so the wife doesn't see 'em?    Okay..  buy a cash card!   That will be a 10% premium and I want to see your ID.

You think the banks are bad now?  Give it ten years....
Back to top Go down
harvetheslayer

harvetheslayer

Posts : 5119
Join date : 2015-04-02
Age : 28
Location : Behind you Jameson....

Newport away tick news - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newport away tick news   Newport away tick news - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 17, 2019 6:56 am

green_genie wrote:
As contactless transaction only goes to 30quod wouldn't cover a half time round so machines should take insert with PIN number. Thinking about it pretty sure you're supposed to have the option to request PIN confirmation

Correct. Not only the option but with a contactless card you must on first time use the 4 number pin. All three of my cards contactless but £30 maximum before pin is required
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

Tgwu

Posts : 11332
Join date : 2011-12-11
Age : 70
Location : plymouth

Newport away tick news - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newport away tick news   Newport away tick news - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 17, 2019 8:32 am

A new card is on trail, they are putting your finger print in to the card, trail is for £100 after trial could be any amount
Back to top Go down
Bob Crow

Bob Crow

Posts : 1054
Join date : 2018-05-12
Location : The Pioneers suite.

Newport away tick news - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newport away tick news   Newport away tick news - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 17, 2019 9:20 am

Tgwu wrote:
A new card is on trail, they are putting  your finger print in to the card, trail is for £100 after trial could be any amount

Natwest have just started a very limited roll out of these cards in certain areas following the trial, my sister had one sent to her when her card expired, it's sent with the device to encode the fingerprint, once the device has successfully uploaded to the card, it becomes obsolete and can't be used again.
Think the concept was born off the back of mobile contactless payments as some like my Barclaycard app allow payments up to £150 without entering the pin.
Remember years ago when Contactless first come out and it was pretty much confined to Barclaycard for the first year, the limit was only £20 and then very few places had contactless PDQ perminals.
Back to top Go down
Bob Crow

Bob Crow

Posts : 1054
Join date : 2018-05-12
Location : The Pioneers suite.

Newport away tick news - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newport away tick news   Newport away tick news - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 17, 2019 9:39 am

Rickler wrote:
Bob Crow wrote:

I don't think people with poor credit is a barrier to them having a contactless card, my daughter who's 14 has one. Just under 18s and those with poor credit and basic accounts will only have an full online card opposed to the offline card. The cards look identical with the only visible differences bring the BIN number, for instance Natwest cards start 4751 and the next two digits are 28 for the online full authority card that will only authorize a transaction after it's been checked against the balance and the funds have been ring fenced. The offline card is 4751 29 and doesn't need authorization so a transaction will be honoured and the funds not taken until the merchant draws the funds.
When contactless first come out, yes it was only available on offline cards but that's no longer the case.
The Johannesburg Rea Veya rapid bus and Gautrain goldcards (similar to oyster cards) use to double as a prepaid contactless Mastercard and mine also worked fine here until it expired last year. I know when Plymouth Citybus started contactless a couple years ago, they were given out free Barclays contactless prepay keyfobs to appeal to anyone without a contactless card which they could top up via an app.


The world of 'offline' and 'online' cards is alien to me.  We have bank (debit) cards and Credit company Cards (visa, Amx etc).  Each has full online access.  The difference being, the debit card will only allow you to draw on available funds and the credit card allows you withdraw up to your 'credit' limit.  Nearly always a bank card also has a visa or MC feature

The point of not doing away with cash is this..  There will come a day when if you don't have a 'Money' card of some description you won't be able to buy anything. No food, no movies, no beer, no football. If the banks decides to rescind your credit you will be screwed. Or if you fall behind on your  payments, you will be a credit 'risk' and therefore will need to buy your next bank 'money' card at a premium.  They will track every financial transaction you make.  Including the ones to those porn sites and strip clubs you might want to visit - how you going to keep those off the statement so the wife doesn't see 'em?    Okay..  buy a cash card!   That will be a 10% premium and I want to see your ID.

You think the banks are bad now?  Give it ten years....

As far as I know, ALL UK credit cards (excluding prepaid) are Offline cards. And all UK debit cards issued to U18's and those who don't pass the banks credit vetting are full online debit cards.

An example of how these cards behave differently is places like on planes/trains ect and the early days of pay at pump petrol pumps. The type of card Terminals had no internet or phone line to process the transaction so anyone attempting to pay with an online full authorization card would have the transaction automatically declined by the Terminals even if they did have sufficient funds in the account, where as an offline card would work, even if there was no funds in the account.
The old petrol pumps were similar but are now almost all fully connected to internet so they can process all cards.
Also credit cards including prepaid cards can have an amount pre authorized by the merchants card Terminals (basically to check if the card is good for its money) where as a debit card either online of offline cannot. That's why most vehicle hire places will often only accept credit cards for the deposit ect. The old petrol pumps worked in a similar way by pre authorizing a nominal sum before fuel is drawn to check the validity of the card, before the total sum was debited on completion of the transaction.

Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

Posts : 8564
Join date : 2011-10-23

Newport away tick news - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newport away tick news   Newport away tick news - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 17, 2019 11:18 am

All British Airways onboard sales are now ‘cashless’.

At the other end of the spectrum a huge retailer like B&Q still makes you put your pin in.
Back to top Go down
harvetheslayer

harvetheslayer

Posts : 5119
Join date : 2015-04-02
Age : 28
Location : Behind you Jameson....

Newport away tick news - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newport away tick news   Newport away tick news - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 17, 2019 11:22 am

Czarcasm wrote:
All British Airways onboard sales are now ‘cashless’.

At the other end of the spectrum a huge retailer like B&Q still makes you put your pin in.

Yep one at Crownhill doesnt accept contactless. Pin only or it was about 3 weeks ago when I bought £7 of plumbing connectors
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

Tgwu

Posts : 11332
Join date : 2011-12-11
Age : 70
Location : plymouth

Newport away tick news - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newport away tick news   Newport away tick news - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 17, 2019 12:03 pm

I just done my neighbors insurance online to save him money , Swinton  house insurance went though on his card but a week before GA for his car was refused.

The Natwest  limited roll out was the one on click on TV this morning
Back to top Go down
Bob Crow

Bob Crow

Posts : 1054
Join date : 2018-05-12
Location : The Pioneers suite.

Newport away tick news - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newport away tick news   Newport away tick news - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 17, 2019 12:30 pm

Tgwu wrote:
I just done my neighbors insurance online to save him money , Swinton  house insurance went though on his card but a week before GA for his car was refused.

The Natwest  limited roll out was the one on click on TV this morning

Vic, it might or might not be the case that the insurance company processed the online payment abroad and the bank/credit card in question has foreign transactions blocked or the bank has blocked it for security reasons.
A lot of companies do this for either tax or logistical reasons for online transactions, process them offshore but there still in pounds sterling.
Almost all bookmakers process theirs in either Gibraltar or Guernsey.
The Post Office process their online transactions in Ireland, as do Three Mobile and The Entertainer Topshop and I don't that that's nowhere near an exhaustive list.
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

Tgwu

Posts : 11332
Join date : 2011-12-11
Age : 70
Location : plymouth

Newport away tick news - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newport away tick news   Newport away tick news - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 17, 2019 12:43 pm

He went to his bank and asked why it did not work, their answer was because he did not use it enough. His home insurance went through aright this year and last year.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content




Newport away tick news - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Newport away tick news   Newport away tick news - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down
 
Newport away tick news
Back to top 
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
 :: Home Park :: The Mayflower-
Jump to: