Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic

The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

One Night In Turin

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage

One Night In Turin Empty
PostSubject: One Night In Turin   One Night In Turin EmptyWed May 30, 2018 4:02 pm

Currently showing on the History Channel as part of their 2 weeks of football leading up to the World Cup. Amazing memories from before Sky ruined football.

I still can’t believe we didn’t win it.
Back to top Go down

One Night In Turin Empty
PostSubject: Re: One Night In Turin   One Night In Turin EmptyWed May 30, 2018 5:56 pm

ITVs Gazzas Tears, The night that changed football is a good one as well.
Its on YouTube, loads of good old skool footage.
Back to top Go down

One Night In Turin Empty
PostSubject: Re: One Night In Turin   One Night In Turin EmptyWed May 30, 2018 9:40 pm

Frank Bullitt wrote:
Currently showing on the History Channel as part of their 2 weeks of football leading up to the World Cup. Amazing memories from before Sky ruined football.

Believe it or not the official FIFA films which are also being replayed are pretty good too. Very well shot.
Back to top Go down
Big Robby

One Night In Turin Empty
PostSubject: Re: One Night In Turin   One Night In Turin EmptyWed May 30, 2018 9:51 pm

Hugh Watt wrote:
Frank Bullitt wrote:

Believe it or not the official FIFA films which are also being replayed are pretty good too. Very well shot.

I've been watching them too. Very interesting if a bit sanitised. There are some other good football documentarys on History at the moment
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

One Night In Turin Empty
PostSubject: Re: One Night In Turin   One Night In Turin EmptyWed May 30, 2018 9:57 pm

The Kevin Allen one was the best by far imo.
Back to top Go down
Rickler

Rickler

One Night In Turin Empty
PostSubject: Re: One Night In Turin   One Night In Turin EmptyWed May 30, 2018 10:38 pm

Anybody know where you can see "Goal" - the 1966 world cup film?
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

One Night In Turin Empty
PostSubject: Re: One Night In Turin   One Night In Turin EmptyWed May 30, 2018 10:41 pm

Rickler wrote:

Bees has got it on Beetamax ask him if you can pop over and watch it next time your back in Blighty.
Back to top Go down
Rickler

Rickler

One Night In Turin Empty
PostSubject: Re: One Night In Turin   One Night In Turin EmptyWed May 30, 2018 11:07 pm

Bees has never "got" anything.
Back to top Go down

One Night In Turin Empty
PostSubject: Re: One Night In Turin   One Night In Turin EmptyThu May 31, 2018 7:56 am

Les Miserable wrote:
The Kevin Allen one was the best by far imo.

Brilliant documentary. A spot on piece of work showing what it was really like for the supporters over there.
Back to top Go down

One Night In Turin Empty
PostSubject: Re: One Night In Turin   One Night In Turin EmptyThu May 31, 2018 9:11 am

Earwegoagain wrote:
Rickler wrote:

Bees has got it on Beetamax ask him if you can pop over and watch it next time your back in Blighty.

The new King will have been on the throne and gone by then, unless a Wembley invite comes in from Si. I seem to remember Goal being released to the Drake or ABC cinema. Fascinating for a young lad to see such a different perspective, and that different frame rate gives it a certain film historic quality. Incidentally one of my friends who was at Bread and Roses the other night was actually at the Argentina Ratin quarter final with her first racing driver boy friend. LOL. She's an old bird now. I have always preferred 24 frames and never got on with the harsh video thing, in fact never had a player of any sort. Must have been doing other stuff.
Back to top Go down
Innocent Egbunike

Innocent Egbunike

One Night In Turin Empty
PostSubject: Re: One Night In Turin   One Night In Turin EmptyTue Jun 05, 2018 7:40 pm

Frank Bullitt wrote:

It’s a decent watch, that one.

Ah, Italia ‘90...I was 19. What a great ride it was. Remember thinking I might be in my 40’s or something before we got that close again. I’m 47.

All Played Out is a great read covering that tournament too. Might give it another spin before next week.
Back to top Go down

One Night In Turin Empty
PostSubject: Re: One Night In Turin   One Night In Turin EmptyWed Jun 06, 2018 9:43 am

Innocent Egbunike wrote:
Frank Bullitt wrote:

Ah, Italia ‘90...I was 19. What a great ride it was. Remember thinking I might be in my 40’s or something before we got that close again. I’m 47.

All Played Out is a great read covering that tournament too. Might give it another spin before next week.

All Played Out is one of the greatest pieces of football literature ever written. Never again would any author be allowed such unimpeded access to elite players, nowadays any access would be strictly controlled by a litany of PR people and press officers.

A lot of us have an emotional connection with the World Cup, its easy to forget how awful some of the football was.
Back to top Go down
Innocent Egbunike

Innocent Egbunike

One Night In Turin Empty
PostSubject: Re: One Night In Turin   One Night In Turin EmptyWed Jun 06, 2018 2:02 pm

Hugh Watt wrote:
Innocent Egbunike wrote:
Frank Bullitt wrote:

All Played Out is one of the greatest pieces of football literature ever written. Never again would any author be allowed such unimpeded access to elite players, nowadays any access would be strictly controlled by a litany of PR people and press officers.

A lot of us have an emotional connection with the World Cup, its easy to forget how awful some of the football was.

Agreed. We were good v Holland (well, Gascoigne was) but pretty poor otherwise, until we performed in the semi-final. Got away with it v Belgium and Cameroon. Similarly, we should have gone out to Spain in Euro '96.

One of the biggest missed opportunities was France '98. We came up against a strong Argentina side and almost turned them over with 10 men. Thought Hoddle had quite a good thing going with that squad.
Back to top Go down

One Night In Turin Empty
PostSubject: Re: One Night In Turin   One Night In Turin EmptyWed Jun 06, 2018 3:25 pm

I was thinking everybody was pretty awful throughout. Argentina were horrible to watch throughout and almost ended up winning the thing, Ireland didn't win a game but still reached the Quarter Finals
Back to top Go down
Innocent Egbunike

Innocent Egbunike

One Night In Turin Empty
PostSubject: Re: One Night In Turin   One Night In Turin EmptyWed Jun 06, 2018 5:02 pm

Hugh Watt wrote:
I was thinking everybody was pretty awful throughout. Argentina were horrible to watch throughout and almost ended up winning the thing, Ireland didn't win a game but still reached the Quarter Finals

Yep. Standard was pretty low...but it was still more exciting back then - in part because of seeing it through the prism of youth but also because the international tournaments seemed exotic and it was the only time when there would be wall-to-wall football coverage.

It was also the tournament when Massing took out Caniggia so beautifully. A thing of wonder.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

One Night In Turin Empty
PostSubject: Re: One Night In Turin   One Night In Turin Empty

Back to top Go down

One Night In Turin
Page 1 of 1