tigertony
Tgwu
34 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next
AuthorMessage
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

wembley tickets - Page 10 Empty
PostSubject: Re: wembley tickets   wembley tickets - Page 10 EmptyMon May 23, 2016 4:41 pm

So the one thing we can deduce from the 33,000 figure, is that our plassy glory-hunting support has remained exactly the same size as 20 years ago.

jocolor jocolor jocolor
Back to top Go down
sufferedsince 68

sufferedsince 68

PostSubject: Re: wembley tickets   wembley tickets - Page 10 EmptyMon May 23, 2016 6:11 pm

Czarcasm wrote:
So the one thing we can deduce from the 33,000 figure, is that our plassy glory-hunting support has remained exactly the same size as 20 years ago.

jocolor jocolor jocolor
Thirty three thousand is fantastic support, it just proves the is an alternative to Jimmy and the Jam Boys, Bucket Rattling Village Version of Argyle.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: wembley tickets   wembley tickets - Page 10 EmptyMon May 23, 2016 6:20 pm

Joking aside, it is interesting that after all that's gone on in the last 20 years, the highs of the CCC thru to the lows of virtual extinction, plus Sky vying for armchair support, our potential big occasion support remains exactly the same.

And yet Cnutuss Maximus Brent would have seen fit to box Argyle in with a capacity forever capped at about half that figure. Hallett needs to take note of this too.
Back to top Go down
sufferedsince 68

sufferedsince 68

PostSubject: Re: wembley tickets   wembley tickets - Page 10 EmptyMon May 23, 2016 6:24 pm

Czarcasm wrote:
Joking aside, it is interesting that after all that's gone on in the last 20 years, the highs of the CCC thru to the lows of virtual extinction, plus Sky vying for armchair support, our potential big occasion support remains exactly the same.

And yet Cnutuss Maximus Brent would have seen fit to box Argyle in with a capacity forever capped at about half that figure. Hallett needs to take note of this too.
Hallet is just Jimmy with a Noo York accent jocolor
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: wembley tickets   wembley tickets - Page 10 EmptyMon May 23, 2016 6:35 pm

Czarcasm wrote:

Probably more to do with the TV generation of football fans wanting to go to Wembeleeeeeee. Event mentality. I've seen 50,000 on the Hoe for fireworks. 100,000 for some yaughtee.
Really glad Argyle have the home strip option. Imagine them turning up there in purple and pink ?
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

PostSubject: Re: wembley tickets   wembley tickets - Page 10 EmptyMon May 23, 2016 8:29 pm

Czarcasm wrote:

cheers
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: wembley tickets   wembley tickets - Page 10 EmptyMon May 23, 2016 10:26 pm

Got my tickets today! cheers

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

PostSubject: Re: wembley tickets   wembley tickets - Page 10 EmptyMon May 23, 2016 10:31 pm

I lease one of our mods is going Thumbs :greenrave:
Back to top Go down
Lord Melbury

PostSubject: Re: wembley tickets   wembley tickets - Page 10 EmptyMon May 23, 2016 10:33 pm

mouldyoldgoat wrote:
Got my tickets today! cheers

Me too. Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: wembley tickets   wembley tickets - Page 10 EmptyMon May 23, 2016 11:32 pm

Czarcasm wrote:

This.

One of the flawed arguments I have often read about us not needing a much bigger stadium is: "It would be a white elephant and we'd never fill it - look at Darlington. Didn't do them anygood, did it?"

This is just cack on so many levels it's hard to think of any hypothesis that could be worse and it certainly doesn't justify anything.

If we accept that a Div 4 play-off represents the very pinnacle of support in terms of numbers then we have shown, twice, that our support peaks at 33-34,000. 20 years ago Darlo showed that their support peaked at about 9,000.

Giving them a 25k stadium was plain daft; giving us one makes perfect sense.

Darlington is a town with a population of about 100,000; Plymouth is a city of about 275,000.

Darlington has 3 rival teams with very recent PL history on its doorstep; we'd have a 3 hour drive to Bournemouth or Cardiff before we find such a rival.

I accept that the likelihood of us getting 34,000 home fans into Home Park is remote because many of the Wembleyites will have moved heaven and earth to get there for the one-off occasion but we could easily get 25,000 of them to turn up and then we have to allow room for away fans of which there would be plenty at a higher level.

What was the capacity of the Darlo white elephant? About 25,000 I believe. Far, far too big for them - only a fool would think otherwise - but just about perfect, as long as there was room for extension should it ever be needed, for us.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com

PostSubject: Re: wembley tickets   wembley tickets - Page 10 EmptyTue May 24, 2016 11:16 am

Sir Francis Drake wrote:
Czarcasm wrote:

This.

One of the flawed arguments I have often read about us not needing a much bigger stadium is: "It would be a white elephant and we'd never fill it - look at Darlington. Didn't do them anygood, did it?"

This is just cack on so many levels it's hard to think of any hypothesis that could be worse and it certainly doesn't justify anything.

And growing, wait until the Turks arrive well have to expand. lol!

If we accept that a Div 4 play-off represents the very pinnacle of support in terms of numbers then we have shown, twice, that our support peaks at 33-34,000. 20 years ago Darlo showed that their support peaked at about 9,000.

Giving them a 25k stadium was plain daft; giving us one makes perfect sense.

Darlington is a town with a population of about 100,000; Plymouth is a city of about 275,000.

Darlington has 3 rival teams with very recent PL history on its doorstep; we'd have a 3 hour drive to Bournemouth or Cardiff before we find such a rival.

I accept that the likelihood of us getting 34,000 home fans into Home Park is remote because many of the Wembleyites will have moved heaven and earth to get there for the one-off occasion but we could easily get 25,000 of them to turn up and then we have to allow room for away fans of which there would be plenty at a higher level.

What was the capacity of the Darlo white elephant? About 25,000 I believe. Far, far too big for them - only a fool would think otherwise - but just about perfect, as long as there was room for extension should it ever be needed, for us.
Back to top Go down
harvetheslayer

harvetheslayer

Location : Wormwood Scrubs awaiting the imminent arrival of Johnson..

PostSubject: Re: wembley tickets   wembley tickets - Page 10 EmptyTue May 24, 2016 3:55 pm

Rare for  me to say but I told you so !!

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: wembley tickets   wembley tickets - Page 10 EmptyTue May 24, 2016 3:56 pm

More tickets available and on sale until Saturday. Who would have guessed?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: wembley tickets   wembley tickets - Page 10 EmptyTue May 24, 2016 3:57 pm

Beat me to it Harve!
Back to top Go down
Rickler

Rickler

PostSubject: Re: wembley tickets   wembley tickets - Page 10 EmptyTue May 24, 2016 3:59 pm

Sir Francis Drake wrote:

Easily get 25,000 to turn up...

Yea, what planet are you living on?

During our best year in the Championship we only broke 20,000 three times. You have to go back over 50 years to find gates that top 25,000. And a season with an over 25,000 average?

Well, that would be never ever.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: wembley tickets   wembley tickets - Page 10 EmptyTue May 24, 2016 4:03 pm

I am not so sure Ricks.

A Wembley appearance used to be the absolute pinnacle of any clubs season. But would a season in the Premier league equate to that nowadays? Would it be 19 cup finals?
Back to top Go down
Rickler

Rickler

PostSubject: Re: wembley tickets   wembley tickets - Page 10 EmptyTue May 24, 2016 4:09 pm

SFD is clearly talking about building a 25,000 stadium now. There is absolutely no sight of the Premier league whatsoever at this point.

Despite his green tinted blabbering, building a 25,000 seat stadium at this point is stupid. It would be 60% empty most of the time, providing a soulless empty bowl to play in, and an expensive white elephant to maintain.

Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: wembley tickets   wembley tickets - Page 10 EmptyTue May 24, 2016 4:34 pm

It's all pie in the sky of course. Because it ain't happening. BUT, generally speaking, the time to build is always PRIOR to the time it may be needed. Unless you want to end up with a ground situation similar to what Bournemouth have had this year.  Home Park as it currently stands would be totally inadequate for a large number of games, should we follow this years promotion with another in twelve months. jocolor
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: wembley tickets   wembley tickets - Page 10 EmptyTue May 24, 2016 4:41 pm

I have always always been in favour of filling in the corners at the same height as the Barn Park and renovating the old stand and Mayflower. Didn't Forest do something similar ?
That would just about give us the 25000 capacity at a lot less cost. One day a rare revamped Leitch look alike stand facade incorporated within the modern bowl context would be envied, just as many old buildings are admired. As a kid I used to drool over the pictures of the old three tier stands at the likes of Goodison and White Hart Lane.
Of course, the underneath would be totally changed to provide modern infrastructure and facility.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: wembley tickets   wembley tickets - Page 10 EmptyTue May 24, 2016 4:43 pm

Rickler wrote:
SFD is clearly talking about building a 25,000 stadium now.  There is absolutely no sight of the Premier league whatsoever at this point.

Despite his green tinted blabbering, building a 25,000 seat stadium at this point is stupid.  It would be 60% empty most of the time, providing a soulless empty bowl to play in, and an expensive white elephant to maintain.

That overlooks the fact that we currently have a notional capacity of just under 17000 with the Mayflower terrace shut, so notionally the ground isn't far shy of a 25k capacity if all areas are open.  The difference being that the Grandstand is a rusting hulk which needs almost constant attention. I'd hypothesise that a new 25k all seater stadium would be cheaper to maintain than the current behemoth.
Back to top Go down
Rickler

Rickler

PostSubject: Re: wembley tickets   wembley tickets - Page 10 EmptyTue May 24, 2016 4:58 pm

Homeslice wrote:
Rickler wrote:
SFD is clearly talking about building a 25,000 stadium now.  There is absolutely no sight of the Premier league whatsoever at this point.

Despite his green tinted blabbering, building a 25,000 seat stadium at this point is stupid.  It would be 60% empty most of the time, providing a soulless empty bowl to play in, and an expensive white elephant to maintain.

That overlooks the fact that we currently have a notional capacity of just under 17000 with the Mayflower terrace shut, so notionally the ground isn't far shy of a 25k capacity if all areas are open.  The difference being that the Grandstand is a rusting hulk which needs almost constant attention. I'd hypothesise that a new 25k all seater stadium would be cheaper to maintain than the current behemoth.

Considering we seem to spend Zilch on maintenance currently unless we absolutely must, and depend on the charity of others for basics.  I don't see how your 'notional' thesis  regarding a new stadium is possible?
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: wembley tickets   wembley tickets - Page 10 EmptyTue May 24, 2016 5:06 pm

So many people are mathematically illiterate.

An average is a figure that represents a central value. It is one figure to represent many figures. And there is more than one type of average.

So bearing all of that in mind all averages are a measure of central tendency.

In common parlance when talking average we're really talking the mean: add 'em all up then divide by however many there are.

Which makes the mean very readily distorted by extreme values - or in the case of Argyle attendances the lack of them.

If stadium capacity is capped at 20,000 (i.e. the maximum possible value) or so as it has been, at best, for years now quite simply we can never average (i.e. reach a measure of central tendency of) 20,000. It is impossible.

Only a blithering idiot or a charlatan would use an average figure when discussing sensible stadium size because if we average 17,000, for instance, and then build a stadium to house 17,000 we will never be able to average 17,000 again.

And then there's the breakdown of ticket provision for home and away fans... With a 20k capacity in the CCC we used to allow 2500 away fans. Than means there could only ever be 17500 home fans. By the time you factor in ST holders that means only so many spare seats existed for casual fans. They soon get to realise they won't be able to get a ticket and don't try. The same applies to away fans: if we sold 2500 tickets to them then how many others might we have sold?

The failure to provide a big enough stadium will see all the predictions about not needing it in the first place come true because it is essentially inevitable in a mathematical sense and in common vernacular it is a self-fulfilling prophecy.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: wembley tickets   wembley tickets - Page 10 EmptyTue May 24, 2016 5:12 pm

One more thing about capacity, as a fan.
Grounds are far more user friendly when they're not filled to capacity. Brim full to overflowing causes bad feeling and arguments, facilities overstretched. Not only that, a full stadium every week would just push the price up. My most enjoyable atmospheres and comfort at Home Park have been the nearly full scenario. So 20000+ in a 25000 stadium is ideal.

And SFD's point about casuals not even bothering to even think about going, with a regularly full stadium headline in their head, is a good one. It's the ghetto thing that I keep harping on about. 35000 at Wembley ahs nothing to do with Home Park. It's quite a different attraction.

Last edited by Lord Biro on Tue May 24, 2016 5:17 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Rickler

Rickler

PostSubject: Re: wembley tickets   wembley tickets - Page 10 EmptyTue May 24, 2016 5:14 pm

Oh great...  Operate on a 80% full basis.

Jeez...

and as for SFD...

Blah feckin Blah... Nobody is using averages to prove anything. I'm using highest gate figures.

Historically, facts prove -

Attendance wise.... we still don't need a 25,000 seat stadium until we are in the premiership because we never get anywhere near filling that many seats.

...and all your 'average' bullshit does nothing to disprove that fact.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: wembley tickets   wembley tickets - Page 10 EmptyTue May 24, 2016 5:19 pm

There speaks somebody proud to be ignorant.

You can't educate pork.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: wembley tickets   wembley tickets - Page 10 Empty

Back to top Go down

wembley tickets
Page 10 of 14Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14  Next