AstiSpumante
Czarcasm
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
Greenskin

Greenskin

The Golf Thread... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Golf Thread...   The Golf Thread... - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 17, 2016 1:08 pm

Les Miserable wrote:
A cracking finish to this one, four shore.

Maybe Les, but it'll never match the electrifying tension of Hurdwick v Sparkwell last Thursday.
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

PostSubject: Re: The Golf Thread...   The Golf Thread... - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 17, 2016 1:33 pm

Greenskin wrote:
Les Miserable wrote:
A cracking finish to this one, four shore.

Maybe Les, but it'll never match the electrifying tension of Hurdwick v Sparkwell last Thursday.

Smoke bombs in the galleries? bounce
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

PostSubject: Re: The Golf Thread...   The Golf Thread... - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 17, 2016 6:09 pm

Incredible final pairing, looks like Stenson has got it, 2 up after 16.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: The Golf Thread...   The Golf Thread... - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 17, 2016 8:41 pm

Amazing golf on the last day, Phil must be puking after shooting 65 and losing by 3 shots. Says it all about Stenson though, he was a man on a mission and nothing was going to stop him, an absolutely deserved win.
Back to top Go down
Hugh Midde

Hugh Midde

PostSubject: Re: The Golf Thread...   The Golf Thread... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 18, 2016 9:24 am

Greenskin wrote:
Amazing golf on the last day, Phil must be puking after shooting 65 and losing by 3 shots. Says it all about Stenson though, he was a man on a mission and nothing was going to stop him, an absolutely deserved win.

Very true. I fully expected Stenson's game to collapse under the pressure but he just got stronger and stronger.
Back to top Go down
Hugh Midde

Hugh Midde

PostSubject: Re: The Golf Thread...   The Golf Thread... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 18, 2016 9:35 am

Guest wrote:
Great game, when does the synchronised swimming start? geek

Please don't. I fully expect to see far too many bums come into view at least twice this year Wink
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: The Golf Thread...   The Golf Thread... - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 07, 2016 5:37 pm

Jim Furyk breaks all time record;

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Just knew those coaching lessons that Plympton Pilgrim and myself gave him would pay off eventually.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: The Golf Thread...   The Golf Thread... - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 07, 2016 7:20 pm

All the more rediculous because he had a decent birdie chance on 14, then lipped out with a shortish birdie putt on 15. Still had a birdie putt on 18 for a 57!

Amazing.
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

PostSubject: Re: The Golf Thread...   The Golf Thread... - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 26, 2016 2:40 pm

Arnold Palmer RIP.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: The Golf Thread...   The Golf Thread... - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 26, 2016 5:42 pm

Indeed so. Arnold, Jack Nicklaus and Gary Player did more than anyone to popularise golf in the 1960's,wouldn't have been the same game without them. Probably the most popular player in history, had the swashbuckle to go with his trophies.

RIP Arnold
Back to top Go down
hippo

PostSubject: Re: The Golf Thread...   The Golf Thread... - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 26, 2016 7:32 pm

An inspiration to many players at all levels. RIP
Back to top Go down
Rollo Tomasi

PostSubject: Re: The Golf Thread...   The Golf Thread... - Page 2 EmptyMon Sep 26, 2016 11:01 pm

My first set of clubs were Arnold Palmers. They kept slicing my Dunlop 65i ball. Then they'd occasionally hook it. Changed them for a set of Nicklaus' Golden Bear. Bugger me if they wasn't the same.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: The Golf Thread...   The Golf Thread... - Page 2 EmptyTue Sep 27, 2016 3:51 pm

So, Ryder Cup. My head tells me to have a considerable wager on the USofA giving us a good seeing to.

Not sure my heart will let me though.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: The Golf Thread...   The Golf Thread... - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 03, 2016 8:29 pm

Bit of bad news of particular interest to Plympton Pilgrim-Hurdwick golf club is to close from January 1st,so no more epics between us and Sparkwell.The club was undercut price wise by Launceston GC and lost a lot of members to them,a sort of domino effect resulted and some more went to Tavistock,[which is where i think most of the remaining players,including myself will end up]and other clubs.There have been murmurs for a while but i must admit it was a bombshell to receive the letter yesterday and it's been rather surreal playing in the past couple of days.Very sad,the course has been a big part of my life for the past 9 years and in spite of its faults you do get very fond of places-i'll miss it very badly.
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

PostSubject: Re: The Golf Thread...   The Golf Thread... - Page 2 EmptyThu Nov 03, 2016 8:42 pm

RIP Hurdwick.
Back to top Go down
PlymptonPilgrim
Admin
PlymptonPilgrim

PostSubject: Re: The Golf Thread...   The Golf Thread... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 12, 2017 8:21 pm

I had my first hole in one on Saturday. Cost me a few quid. Also I am now officially a single figure handicapper.

When's that British Open? Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: The Golf Thread...   The Golf Thread... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 12, 2017 9:47 pm

PlymptonPilgrim wrote:
I had my first hole in one on Saturday. Cost me a few quid. Also I am now officially a single figure handicapper.

When's that British Open?  Very Happy

Always knew there was a hidden agenda behind that new first hole at Sparkwell. Wink Congratulations on both counts, seem to be going in opposite directions as far as handicaps are concerned-i'm now out to 15 after being 11 and playing to it pre shoulder injury. Had 38 points in Tavvy today though, maybe things will start reversing again now. My first Hole in one was costly too because it was the very first shot of the match against Chulmleigh GC on the tenth at Hurdwick-had to buy drinks for both teams and any other stragglers in the clubhouse. Second one was on the eighth at Hurdwick a few weeks later, didn't cost a penny because Mike Murray who was with me doesn't drink, good for him. Mike had a hole in one at the 7th in Tavvy a couple weeks ago but only off his provisional ball after creaming his first shot into the gorse. Now that is jug avoidance.
Back to top Go down
PlymptonPilgrim
Admin
PlymptonPilgrim

PostSubject: Re: The Golf Thread...   The Golf Thread... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 12, 2017 10:30 pm

Greenskin wrote:
PlymptonPilgrim wrote:

Always knew there was a hidden agenda behind that new first hole at Sparkwell. Wink Congratulations on both counts, seem to be going in opposite directions as far as handicaps are concerned-i'm now out to 15 after being 11 and playing to it pre shoulder injury. Had 38 points in Tavvy today though, maybe things will start reversing again now. My first Hole in one was costly too because it was the very first shot of the match against Chulmleigh GC on the tenth at Hurdwick-had to buy drinks for both teams and any other stragglers in the clubhouse. Second one was on the eighth at Hurdwick a few weeks later, didn't cost a penny because Mike Murray who was with me doesn't drink, good for him. Mike had a hole in one at the 7th in Tavvy a couple weeks ago but only off his provisional ball after creaming his first shot into the gorse. Now that is jug avoidance.

15, now that is bandit territory for you. Playing at Tavy next month, 36 holes in a day. Not been there for a while, may pay you a visit on a Thursday morning towards the end of the month, if that's ok?
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: The Golf Thread...   The Golf Thread... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 12, 2017 10:52 pm

PlymptonPilgrim wrote:
Greenskin wrote:
PlymptonPilgrim wrote:

15, now that is bandit territory for you. Playing at Tavy next month, 36 holes in a day. Not been there for a while, may pay you a visit on a Thursday morning towards the end of the month, if that's ok?

No problem Garry. Let me know if and when you're coming, we get there at 1300 for a 1330 start, put a couple of quid in the kitty and winner takes half-the rest goes into our xmas blow out fund. If there's a match or competition on the course we may start earlier but generally speaking it's pretty good on a Thursday.
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

PostSubject: Re: The Golf Thread...   The Golf Thread... - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 23, 2017 9:13 pm

Spieth again...mighty impressive.
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

PostSubject: Re: The Golf Thread...   The Golf Thread... - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 22, 2018 1:27 pm

Coming together nicely, next 4 or 5 hours should be very interesting
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: The Golf Thread...   The Golf Thread... - Page 2 EmptySun Jul 22, 2018 1:51 pm

Les Miserable wrote:
Coming together nicely,  next 4 or 5 hours should be very interesting

Tipped Spieth before the competition but anyone from 5 under could still win. Should be a great watch,won't be moving far this pm.
Back to top Go down
Charlie Wood

Charlie Wood

PostSubject: Re: The Golf Thread...   The Golf Thread... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 23, 2018 11:50 am

One clear winner for me yesterday, the course. A links course playing as it should (probably in some measure due to the summer weather). A fair test where mistakes are badly punished. Two bogey free rounds over the weekend did the trick for Molinari, steady putting helped achieve that. Scratching my head how McIlroy and Rose came second but that's talent for you. Poor Spieth was putting like me.
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

PostSubject: Re: The Golf Thread...   The Golf Thread... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 23, 2018 12:18 pm

Agree Charlie, a bit of wind seemed to cause problems for the vast majority and it's always nice to see a single figure winner, a steady no frills round won the day but going into the back nine it was Tigers to lose, and he did.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: The Golf Thread...   The Golf Thread... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jul 23, 2018 4:23 pm

I don’t know what his stats are, but Rory’s wedge play from around 130yds in is truly woeful for someone with his talent. Bearing in mind Carnousties greens are relatively flat, he wasn’t even getting inside 25-30ft most of the time. It’s his Achilles heel at the minute. But as Charlie says, most of the rest of his game is so good, he can still contend even with some really poor approach play.

Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Golf Thread...   The Golf Thread... - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Golf Thread...
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2