Les Miserable
SwimWithTheTide
RegGreen
Tgwu
10 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

This season possible displays, HELP wanted - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: This season possible displays, HELP wanted   This season possible displays, HELP wanted - Page 2 EmptySat Aug 01, 2015 11:34 pm

Wake me up when this nightmare is over.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: This season possible displays, HELP wanted   This season possible displays, HELP wanted - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 02, 2015 5:26 pm

SwimWithTheTide wrote:
I like the displays, I think they're neat. And its something organised and run by fans, for fans. Its no Pasoti scheme, its just the organisers using that site to advertise that they need help - which is fair enough. Hopefully the find the volunteers they require.

This is a strange thing to pick up and bash pasoti with, there's greater targets and you've really wasted your arrows on this.

Maybe you misunderstand what some fans don't like about these "displays".
I have always enjoyed colourful match days, and have been up to some hair raising moments myself in the past. But sadly much of that has been deliberately kicked out of the industry by club owners and others under the guise of combating hooliganism and health and safety.
You're a youngster Powelly. The old archives of football ends with their flags and banners really are how it used to be, even down here. But it was real, and it was individual. It was not at the behest of some goon owner and his lackeys. This isn't Italy where they get off on long ribbons and megaphones. We have our own crowd history that used to be envied in the atmosphere stakes.  

Many proponents of the Pollard/Webb/Nool inspired "set pieces" designed in their bedrooms under the quilt with a torch, strangely can't stand the whole Mexican wave thing... so what's that difference ? i'll tell you what the difference is. It's control.
This latest green and white card nonsense is a poor immitation of the old choreographed Soviet/Chinese military Mayday thing, where the "spectacle" is no more than collective empty heads being told what to do. In fact, if ever evidence were needed of Animal Farm behaviour, this is it. Trust Plymouth to be 70 years behind a bunch of Russians.
I also really dislike the modern music corporate stadium inspired cigarette lighters and now mobile phone screens. It's just too corny, and "having a good time" suburban. It really is childs' play.
The trouble is with this club, everything, and I mean virtually everything, is tainted with the actions of these ridiculous superfans who have sought confrontation for their own ends. They have delighted in creating a divide that gives them a place, and they must live with it. They will be irrelevant in a few years, as shall we all..

Last edited by John Hawkins on Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:37 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: This season possible displays, HELP wanted   This season possible displays, HELP wanted - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 02, 2015 5:32 pm

Punchdrunk wrote:

Wake me up when this nightmare is over.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

absolutely hated this advert still do
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: This season possible displays, HELP wanted   This season possible displays, HELP wanted - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 02, 2015 5:45 pm

John Hawkins wrote:
SwimWithTheTide wrote:
I like the displays, I think they're neat. And its something organised and run by fans, for fans. Its no Pasoti scheme, its just the organisers using that site to advertise that they need help - which is fair enough. Hopefully the find the volunteers they require.

This is a strange thing to pick up and bash pasoti with, there's greater targets and you've really wasted your arrows on this.

I have always enjoyed colourful match days, and have been up to some hair raising moments myself in the past. But sadly much of that has been deliberately kicked out of the industry by club owners and others under the guise of combating hooliganism and health and safety.
You're a youngster Powelly. The old archives of football ends with their flags and banners really are how it used to be, even down here. But it was real, and it was individual. It was not at the behest of some goon owner and his lackeys. This isn't Italy where they get off on long ribbons and megaphones. We have our own crowd history that used to be envied in the atmosphere stakes.  

Many proponents of the Pollard/Webb/Nool inspired "set pieces" designed in their bedrooms under the quilt with a torch, strangely can't stand the whole Mexican wave thing... so what's that difference ? i'll tell you what the difference is. It's control.
This latest green and white card nonsense is a poor immitation of the old choreographed  Soviet/Chinese military Mayday thing, where the "spectacle" is no more than collective empty heads being told what to do. In fact, if ever evidence were needed of Animal Farm behaviour, this is it. Trust Plymouth to be 70 years behind a bunch of Russians.
I also really dislike the modern music corporate stadium inspired cigarette lighters and now mobile phone screens. It's just too corny, and "having a good time" suburban. It really is childs' play.
The trouble is with this club, everything, and I mean virtually everything, is tainted with the actions of these ridiculous superfans who have sought confrontation for their own ends. They have delighted in creating a divide that gives them a place, and they must live with it. They will be irrelevant in a few years, as shall we all..

That quite possibly is one of the best posts I have ever read on an Argyle forum.

I salute you sir.
Back to top Go down
SwimWithTheTide

SwimWithTheTide

PostSubject: Re: This season possible displays, HELP wanted   This season possible displays, HELP wanted - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 02, 2015 8:12 pm

John Hawkins wrote:
SwimWithTheTide wrote:

This latest green and white card nonsense is a poor immitation of the old choreographed  Soviet/Chinese military Mayday thing, where the "spectacle" is no more than collective empty heads being told what to do. In fact, if ever evidence were needed of Animal Farm behaviour, this is it. Trust Plymouth to be 70 years behind a bunch of Russians.

Fair enough John, not everyone has the same tastes and not everyone will appreciate each display or whatnot in the same way - opinions will be diverse, natural. But I don't believe the superest of superfan duo are behind these displays? I might be wrong, I don't know. It does appear to be organised by a small group of passionate Argyle fans who want to help boost the atmosphere for others, many like it, many don't - similar to the Argyle Angels I guess (personally hate it, but I appreciate what they're trying to do is well intentioned). From my observations its irrelevant to Argyle internet politics, that's why I said I felt it was a strange stick to beat Pasoti/Newell/Webb/etc with.
Back to top Go down
Coxside_Green

PostSubject: Re: This season possible displays, HELP wanted   This season possible displays, HELP wanted - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 02, 2015 10:26 pm

Did we ever have these displays before The Webb came on the scene?  I can't say I remember any.  For me it's just a cheap gimmick which represents our cheap club nowadays.

I've nothing against displays per se, some of the European displays are a sight to behold and they do it week after week, it's just natural for them.  As great as they are, it's never been a British thing as such.  For me, seeing old vids of 20,000 koppites with there scarves and banners aloft singing you'll never walk alone, week after week, that's what I wanna see replicated.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: This season possible displays, HELP wanted   This season possible displays, HELP wanted - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 02, 2015 10:54 pm

Coxside_Green wrote:
Did we ever have these displays before The Webb came on the scene?  I can't say I remember any.  For me it's just a cheap gimmick which represents our cheap club nowadays.

I've nothing against displays per se, some of the European displays are a sight to behold and they do it week after week, it's just natural for them.  As great as they are, it's never been a British thing as such.  For me, seeing old vids of 20,000 koppites with there scarves and banners aloft singing you'll never walk alone, week after week, that's what I wanna see replicated.

The nearest we got to a display of sorts was when the seats in the Lyndhurst used to break during the McCauley era. Not a regular pattern of course but certainly different-sat on one once and ended up on the deck with plastic splinters up my 'arris, much to the hysterical mirth of surrounding supporters, including some members of my family. The humiliation of it all.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: This season possible displays, HELP wanted   This season possible displays, HELP wanted - Page 2 EmptySun Aug 02, 2015 11:04 pm

SwimWithTheTide wrote:
John Hawkins wrote:
SwimWithTheTide wrote:

Fair enough John, not everyone has the same tastes and not everyone will appreciate each display or whatnot in the same way - opinions will be diverse, natural. But I don't believe the superest of superfan duo are behind these displays? I might be wrong, I don't know. It does appear to be organised by a small group of passionate Argyle fans who want to help boost the atmosphere for others, many like it, many don't - similar to the Argyle Angels I guess (personally hate it, but I appreciate what they're trying to do is well intentioned). From my observations its irrelevant to Argyle internet politics, that's why I said I felt it was a strange stick to beat Pasoti/Newell/Webb/etc with.

Argyle Angels are so badly organised its cruel to keep it going. Girls arent the problem the idiots running it are.
Back to top Go down
RegGreen

PostSubject: Re: This season possible displays, HELP wanted   This season possible displays, HELP wanted - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 03, 2015 5:44 am

John Hawkins wrote:
SwimWithTheTide wrote:

Many proponents of the Pollard/Webb/Nool inspired "set pieces" designed in their bedrooms under the quilt with a torch, strangely can't stand the whole Mexican wave thing... so what's that difference ? i'll tell you what the
difference is. It's control. Good Post
Back to top Go down
RegGreen

PostSubject: Re: This season possible displays, HELP wanted   This season possible displays, HELP wanted - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 03, 2015 5:48 am

Top post above by john Hawkins..couldnt agree more mate
Back to top Go down
Rickler

Rickler

PostSubject: Re: This season possible displays, HELP wanted   This season possible displays, HELP wanted - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 03, 2015 6:04 am

RegGreen wrote:
Top post above by john Hawkins..couldnt agree more mate

Yep... John Hawkins scribes and Penz things so well.

Like him or loathe him, you can't ignore him.

So good to have him here.
Back to top Go down
Lord Melbury

PostSubject: Re: This season possible displays, HELP wanted   This season possible displays, HELP wanted - Page 2 EmptyMon Aug 03, 2015 7:47 am

Problem is people are trying to generate an atmosphere in a vacuum. Thanks to brent there is absolutely sod all to get exited about at HP, on or off the pitch. If the football taking place in front of the fans was exiting & inspiring the generation of a great atmosphere would be spontaneous, it would take care of itself.
Anyone remember the atmosphere at the play-off semi-final against Colchester ? No need for plastic sheets, silly hats & control freakery at that game.
Back to top Go down
Rickler

Rickler

PostSubject: Re: This season possible displays, HELP wanted   This season possible displays, HELP wanted - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 04, 2015 9:10 am

Just win baby!

The eighties slogan of the Los Angeles Raiders.

Implemented...  It solved a lot of problems.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: This season possible displays, HELP wanted   This season possible displays, HELP wanted - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

This season possible displays, HELP wanted
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2