zyph
Hitch
Chemical Ali
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Chemical Ali

Germanwings Plane Crash Empty
PostSubject: Germanwings Plane Crash   Germanwings Plane Crash EmptyThu Mar 26, 2015 2:15 pm

French prosecutors are saying that the German co-pilot deliberately crashed the plane into the Alps, killing all 150 on board. Very shocking-

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down
Hitch

PostSubject: Re: Germanwings Plane Crash   Germanwings Plane Crash EmptyThu Mar 26, 2015 2:19 pm

If that's what happened I think I find it more shocking than a terrorist attack. So staggeringly selfish.
Back to top Go down
zyph

zyph

PostSubject: Re: Germanwings Plane Crash   Germanwings Plane Crash EmptyThu Mar 26, 2015 2:23 pm

Hitch wrote:
If that's what happened I think I find it more shocking than a terrorist attack. So staggeringly selfish.

Facts can be stranger than fiction at times.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Germanwings Plane Crash   Germanwings Plane Crash EmptyThu Mar 26, 2015 3:02 pm

Astonishing. I guess the next few days will see his private life opened up to try and explain how he would have reached the point where he thought it a good idea to kill himself and 149 others.

It's  often said that people who stand in front of trains are selfish, because of the impact (inappropriate pun not intended) on the driver etc. I've never saw it that way, because if you are at a stage in your life whereby standing in front of a train is your best option, then you've long since passed the point where you are thinking logically about any effect your actions may have on others, as well as the family you leave behind.

This plane crash is a different kettle of fish though. It's difficult not to condemn the Cnut.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Germanwings Plane Crash   Germanwings Plane Crash EmptyThu Mar 26, 2015 3:45 pm

Unbelievable, if true.
Back to top Go down
AstiSpumante

AstiSpumante

PostSubject: Re: Germanwings Plane Crash   Germanwings Plane Crash EmptyThu Mar 26, 2015 4:45 pm

The mind boggles.
Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

PostSubject: Re: Germanwings Plane Crash   Germanwings Plane Crash EmptyThu Mar 26, 2015 10:48 pm

selfish bastard. (if true)
Back to top Go down
Lord Melbury

PostSubject: Re: Germanwings Plane Crash   Germanwings Plane Crash EmptyThu Mar 26, 2015 10:59 pm

Hitch wrote:

How do you define a terrorist attack ? I would class deliberately killing 150 people as a terrorist act.
Back to top Go down
Hitch

PostSubject: Re: Germanwings Plane Crash   Germanwings Plane Crash EmptyFri Mar 27, 2015 12:50 am

FY 310 wrote:
Hitch wrote:

How do you define a terrorist attack ? I would class deliberately killing 150 people as a terrorist act.

Attacks that are not approved by the legitimate authority of a recognized state, that are perpetrated against non-combatant targets to further the terrorists political, religious, or ideological objectives. Maybe he had a political, religious or ideological objective - but I doubt it.
Back to top Go down
Cornish Chris

Cornish Chris

PostSubject: Re: Germanwings Plane Crash   Germanwings Plane Crash EmptyFri Mar 27, 2015 8:34 am

Czarcasm wrote:
Astonishing. I guess the next few days will see his private life opened up to try and explain how he would have reached the point where he thought it a good idea to kill himself and 149 others.

It's  often said that people who stand in front of trains are selfish, because of the impact (inappropriate pun not intended) on the driver etc. I've never saw it that way, because if you are at a stage in your life whereby standing in front of a train is your best option, then you've long since passed the point where you are thinking logically about any effect your actions may have on others, as well as the family you leave behind.

This plane crash is a different kettle of fish though. It's difficult not to condemn the Cnut.

Agree with all of that. We wouldn't condemn someone for having a heart attack and falling onto the tracks at a metro station - people with severe mental illnesses haven't got much more control over themselves than that.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Germanwings Plane Crash   Germanwings Plane Crash EmptyFri Mar 27, 2015 10:17 am

Here we go again....

Back to top Go down
Hitch

PostSubject: Re: Germanwings Plane Crash   Germanwings Plane Crash EmptyFri Mar 27, 2015 10:43 am

Czarcasm wrote:
Here we go again....

I guess it was naive of me to think that religion wasn't involved in these tragic events somewhere along the line, particularly the most evil currently practised.
Back to top Go down
Cornish Chris

Cornish Chris

PostSubject: Re: Germanwings Plane Crash   Germanwings Plane Crash EmptyFri Mar 27, 2015 10:52 am

Right. The Gateway Pundit is a hard-right Bible Belt outlet that blames more or less everything on Obama, liberals, gays and abortion. Maybe he was a Muslim, but we'll probably need a more reliable source than the Tea Party's finest.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Germanwings Plane Crash   Germanwings Plane Crash EmptyFri Mar 27, 2015 11:05 am

It was in a newspaper, therefore it must be true, saves thinking for yourself I guess.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Germanwings Plane Crash   Germanwings Plane Crash EmptyFri Mar 27, 2015 11:10 am

Are the media trying to paint all sufferers of depression as potential kamikaze pilots!!!!!
Back to top Go down
AstiSpumante

AstiSpumante

PostSubject: Re: Germanwings Plane Crash   Germanwings Plane Crash EmptyFri Mar 27, 2015 11:23 am

Angry wrote:
Are the media trying to paint all sufferers of depression as potential kamikaze pilots!!!!!

Not sure, but some jobs must surely be out of bounds to people who suffer from certain conditions.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Germanwings Plane Crash   Germanwings Plane Crash EmptyFri Mar 27, 2015 11:31 am

AstiSpumante wrote:
Angry wrote:

Not sure, but some jobs must surely be out of bounds to people who suffer from certain conditions.

Not really its down to the individual concerned where you decided yes or not not the condition.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Germanwings Plane Crash   Germanwings Plane Crash EmptyFri Mar 27, 2015 11:34 am

In America it is estimated that between 5 and 10% of men and up to 20% of women suffer a serious depression during their lives. So pilots are mainly men and lets say that 7% will suffer depression in their lifetimes, that's 70 per 1000. There are up to 150,000 pilots worldwide so you would need to asses up to 10,500 pilots as potential threats. Added to that there are only three other cases of pilots thought to have crashed deliberately. Talk about needles in haystacks.
Back to top Go down
AstiSpumante

AstiSpumante

PostSubject: Re: Germanwings Plane Crash   Germanwings Plane Crash EmptyFri Mar 27, 2015 11:40 am

Angry wrote:
AstiSpumante wrote:
Angry wrote:

Not really its down to the individual concerned where you decided yes or not not the condition.

Really ? So there shouldn't be a blanket ban on peadophiles working with children, Pathological liars owning football forums or midgets becoming window cleaners ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Germanwings Plane Crash   Germanwings Plane Crash EmptyFri Mar 27, 2015 11:43 am

AstiSpumante wrote:
Angry wrote:
AstiSpumante wrote:
Angry wrote:

Really ?  So there shouldn't be a blanket ban on peadophiles working with children, Pathological liars owning football forums or midgets becoming window cleaners ?

thats just being ridiculous
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Germanwings Plane Crash   Germanwings Plane Crash EmptyFri Mar 27, 2015 11:47 am

Lol Asti.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Germanwings Plane Crash   Germanwings Plane Crash EmptyFri Mar 27, 2015 11:47 am

Angry wrote:
AstiSpumante wrote:
Angry wrote:
AstiSpumante wrote:
Angry wrote:

Really ?  So there shouldn't be a blanket ban on peadophiles working with children, Pathological liars owning football forums or midgets becoming window cleaners ?

thats just being ridiculous

It ain't. All three examples make perfectly good sense to me.
Back to top Go down
Cornish Chris

Cornish Chris

PostSubject: Re: Germanwings Plane Crash   Germanwings Plane Crash EmptyFri Mar 27, 2015 11:54 am

Obviously, there is a ban on convicted sex offenders working with children, but committing sexual offences against children is a crime. Having a mental illness is not.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Germanwings Plane Crash   Germanwings Plane Crash EmptyFri Mar 27, 2015 11:58 am

Czarcasm wrote:
Angry wrote:
AstiSpumante wrote:
Angry wrote:
AstiSpumante wrote:
Angry wrote:

that's just being ridiculous

it is ridiculous as we're talking about depression a mental illness that many have or had that's being used as a stick to beat sufferers with as a pilot happened to have it on and off for a while.

We were not talking about past publicly funded bbc employers and met officers, internet freaks and weirdos and circus acts.
Back to top Go down
bjorn_yesterday

bjorn_yesterday

PostSubject: Re: Germanwings Plane Crash   Germanwings Plane Crash EmptyFri Mar 27, 2015 1:54 pm

Angry wrote:
Czarcasm wrote:
Angry wrote:
AstiSpumante wrote:
Angry wrote:
AstiSpumante wrote:
Angry wrote:

that's just being ridiculous

it is ridiculous as we're talking about depression a mental illness that many have or had that's being used as a stick to beat sufferers with as a pilot happened to have it on and off for a while.

We were not talking about past publicly funded bbc employers and met officers, internet freaks and weirdos and circus acts.

Not "on and off for a while" apparently...

Deliberate witholding of information on health from his employers. If you're employed by Asda then there's probably no big deal. If you're an airline pilot...?

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.] Website

Don't get me wrong, I agree with Cornish Chris on the effects of depression - just because you can't "see" the illness doesn't mean it's not there and sufferers of depression have no more control over their illness than someone who has a heart attack. But if it could affect the safety of yourself and others as far as your job is concerned then surely you're obliged to remove yourself from it.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Germanwings Plane Crash   Germanwings Plane Crash Empty

Back to top Go down

Germanwings Plane Crash
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next