Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic

The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Sheridan having a rant in the media today.

Go down 
+2
Tringreen
akagreengull
6 posters
AuthorMessage
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

Sheridan having a rant in the media today. Empty
PostSubject: Sheridan having a rant in the media today.   Sheridan having a rant in the media today. EmptySat Mar 29, 2014 8:54 am

Looks like the pressure of a couple of duff results is getting to him, he says he has had enough of people talking about the playoffs and what is wrong with being in the top seven?
He is making the connection between the fact that since we edged into the playoffs three games ago the team has gone "backwards", must agree with him given what we all witnessed on Tuesday.
So as fans do we all back off?
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Sheridan having a rant in the media today.   Sheridan having a rant in the media today. EmptySat Mar 29, 2014 9:04 am

It's a dogshit division and we appear to have a manager of little style and imagination. Just like the rest of the club.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sheridan having a rant in the media today.   Sheridan having a rant in the media today. EmptySat Mar 29, 2014 10:00 am

It's easy for the media to get the wrong snapshot of a manager when they talk to him, they seize on one or two sentences and that is that. I stopped reading it years ago. I don't blame him being frustrated, I would have told Brent and Plymouth to feck off ages ago.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sheridan having a rant in the media today.   Sheridan having a rant in the media today. EmptySat Mar 29, 2014 12:25 pm

Good on him, Sheridans straight forward and doesn't tolerate any shit. First proper manager we've had in years.

I like his approach to the media, better than all that erm urrr yeah like ya know, lads worked their socks off bollocks
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Sheridan having a rant in the media today.   Sheridan having a rant in the media today. EmptySat Mar 29, 2014 12:56 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

There's 2 things that always strike me as being cheap shots - mainly because they only ever attract criticism when results are poor.

One of them is the "erm... well... y'know" thing that was, obviously still is, aimed at Fletcher. The other is the "he just stood there clueless on the touchline" thing which was pointedly aimed at Sheridan earlier in the season and surfaced again after the Exeter debacle.

Neither of these things make any difference whatsoever and neither ever gets a mention when teams are winning.

Look at rugby coaches as an example. Almost to a man they sit up in the Gods and don't even go near the touchline let alone do loads of pointing and shouting.

Look at Paolo Di Canio. Nobody could possibly point and shout more than him and he was sacked by Sunderland for being useless (and for pointing and shouting so much it pissed their fans off).

Look at Roy Hodgson. He managed clubs at the highest level all over Europe and now manages England. I don't think I've ever seen him do so much as take his hands out of his pockets.

No. Rabid managers or managers best-suited to R4 improv comedy might, or might not, be the answer. For some it will work and for others it will not but it isn't the articulacy of tongue or limbs that makes them winners it is having a good eye for a player, tactics and organisation and a bit of luck.

Slag off who you like by all means but at least do it for something that matters and show a little class about it as you do.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Sheridan having a rant in the media today.   Sheridan having a rant in the media today. EmptySat Mar 29, 2014 1:09 pm

Sorry there's 3 things.

"He shouldn't do that he's a role model" etc.

Utter bollocks. Footballers are very rarely deserving of the label "role model" and it should not automatically be bestowed on them. Nor should the expectation that they become role models be seriously entertained.

Admire them for their skill, spirit, stamina, speed by all means but none of that qualifies them to be responsible for, even their own, moral guidance.

Other than that if they want to go down the betting, booze, birds, Bentleys and bling route*... Well, erm, y'know... That's entirely up to them. Why shouldn't they? They're footballers not saints.

*Within reason and within accepted club rules. And they shouldn't expect a long career either...

Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com

PostSubject: Re: Sheridan having a rant in the media today.   Sheridan having a rant in the media today. EmptySun Mar 30, 2014 4:00 pm

Sir Francis Drake wrote:
For some it will work and for others it will not but it isn't the articulacy of tongue or limbs that makes them winners it is having a good eye for a player, tactics and organisation and a bit of luck.

Slag off who you like by all means but at least do it for something that matters and show a little class about it as you do.

I couldn't care less about "articulation" from a football manager. But what turned me off Sturrock was his continuing I've done it so I know best, been there, seen it all, my way or the highway da da da da........... and look what happened. All of us, in the work we do, from god heads to crop pickers, should keep our mouths shut unless we actually want to cause a stir and embark on a dialogue. And don't give me the old " he has to talk to the media" thing. Of course he does, just don't lose it, it's uncool and it's not effective. Up until  now I have been happy with Sheridan's utterances. If he is starting to go down the route of rancour and the old defensive line of "it's the fans' fault, my players don't need the pressure" then he will get what he deserves. I expect better from this manager. I thought his "no leaders " thing was also a bit lame, although Dane thought it was some sort of management technique. He would  lol!
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Sheridan having a rant in the media today.   Sheridan having a rant in the media today. EmptySun Mar 30, 2014 5:34 pm

Winter Green wrote:
Sir Francis Drake wrote:
For some it will work and for others it will not but it isn't the articulacy of tongue or limbs that makes them winners it is having a good eye for a player, tactics and organisation and a bit of luck.

I couldn't care less about "articulation" from a football manager. But what turned me off Sturrock was his continuing I've done it so I know best, been there, seen it all, my way or the highway da da da da........... and look what happened. All of us, in the work we do, from god heads to crop pickers, should keep our mouths shut unless we actually want to cause a stir and embark on a dialogue. And don't give me the old " he has to talk to the media" thing. Of course he does, just don't lose it, it's uncool and it's not effective. Up until  now I have been happy with Sheridan's utterances. If he is starting to go down the route of rancour and the old defensive line of "it's the fans' fault, my players don't need the pressure" then he will get what he deserves. I expect better from this manager. I thought his "no leaders " thing was also a bit lame, although Dane thought it was some sort of management technique. He would  lol!

Sheridan definitely did not blame the fans for the defeat against Exeter,in fact i think his exact word to describe the support was "brilliant".The quote that the OP talks of is here;

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Sheridan is clearly questioning the response of the players and not the supporters since getting into the play off positions,possibly even hinting that there may have been a touch of complacency when drawing attention to the fact that there appeared to be a different team on the pitch for the second half against Exeter.Complete and utter non story.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Sheridan having a rant in the media today.   Sheridan having a rant in the media today. EmptySun Mar 30, 2014 6:12 pm

Well, if that's the case GS, I just don't get what Sheridan has to gain from  publicly ranting at the players again. "Turning up for a big game" is a mental thing and is a natural thing. Some players have it, and some don't. I've never known anyone coach that sort of thing into a player.

Maybe he has too many players that hide when the chips are down, and maybe that's what he's alluding to. Not the greatest of timing if that is the case. I've certainly seen Hourihane as that sort, but I've never thought the manager faux billy I'm a bad mean, man routine is ever effective. Players just smirk and carp behind the manager's back if there are enough to have a quorum, and feel attacked unjustly.
In any event, it's one thing to play some people off the park when there is little at stake, quite a different thing when every pass means something. That's purely the difference between good players at their level, and poor ones, from the World Cup right down to Father Ted's over 75s.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Sheridan having a rant in the media today.   Sheridan having a rant in the media today. EmptySun Mar 30, 2014 7:59 pm

Winter Green wrote:
Well, if that's the case GS, I just don't get what Sheridan has to gain from  publicly ranting at the players again. "Turning up for a big game" is a mental thing and is a natural thing. Some players have it, and some don't. I've never known anyone coach that sort of thing into a player.

Maybe he has too many players that hide when the chips are down, and maybe that's what he's alluding to. Not the greatest of timing if that is the case. I've certainly seen Hourihane as that sort, but I've never agreed the manager faux billy I'm a bad mean, man routine.
In any event, it's one thing to play some people off the park when there is little at stake, quite a different thing when every pass means something. That's purely the difference between good players at their level, and poor ones, from the World Cup right down to Father Ted's over 75s.

Problem was though that Argyle DID turn up for the big game but in the first half only.Although the first half display was by no means a vintage one and Argyle possibly didn't merit a lead,at least they were very much competitive with Exeter.What followed was a complete collapse and you can understand why the manager was perplexed at the difference when everything should have actually been moving the other way-a goal up,attacking the Devonport end and an opportunity to consolidate a play off chance.Some would say that Sheridan's work should be done in the dressing room at half time and that would be fair comment but i can't believe that any team talk,no matter how good,bad or indifferent, would be the catalyst for such a complete contrast.Very unfair to single out Hourihane IMHO-as you know,i'm not a "yoom not a praaaper fan" type but having watched the guy in action over the past three seasons i've certainly not got the impression that Hourihane is a hole in the ground man when things get tough-not sure what makes you think that,in all truth.
Back to top Go down
All the Presidents Men

PostSubject: Re: Sheridan having a rant in the media today.   Sheridan having a rant in the media today. EmptyMon Mar 31, 2014 12:13 am

Poor retort int press, his job was to send the lads out wound up and alert, not distance himself from the display after match, why didn't he get something changed from the bench, no ability?, he had plenty of opportunity, he could have quelled all talk of playoffs as he prolly did relegation last year!

Desperate ranting from a limited manager I'm afraid!

In fact if he ain't gonna do oat, sit int stand!
Back to top Go down
zyph

zyph

PostSubject: Re: Sheridan having a rant in the media today.   Sheridan having a rant in the media today. EmptyMon Mar 31, 2014 7:56 am

It is understandable when your players don't seem to have the gumption to play for their own personal pride.......against a team that in recent weeks where unable to punch their way out of a paper bag.

Plus all the support on the terraces cheering them on......why is it surprising that Sheridan was so disappointed and told them and the press so.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sheridan having a rant in the media today.   Sheridan having a rant in the media today. Empty

Back to top Go down

Sheridan having a rant in the media today.
Page 1 of 1