Flat_Track_Bully
Sir Francis Drake
8 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

I say get behind Sheridan Empty
PostSubject: I say get behind Sheridan   I say get behind Sheridan EmptyThu Oct 24, 2013 10:36 am

Our recent, and not so recent, history shows one calamity rushing headlong into another so let's try to break the trend.

Our timeline shows the sale of our best players, Holloway's walkout, Sturrock'e re-appointment and departure, Todd, Gardner, the failed World Cup bid, Mariner, administration, Ridsdale and Guilfoyle, Reid, Brent, Fletcher and at present ends up with Sheridan. Well they've all failed except for Sheridan and Brent who both currently appear to be failing.

So what options do we have? We could sack Sheridan but he's near the start of his contract and it would be expensive. His coaching staff would as likely as not be off too. More expense. And we have no money. So sacking Sheridan makes things worse financially. And there's no guarantee it would make any difference if we did anyway.

Or we could get behind Sheridan.

The current wave of hostility that is washing over Sheridan and the team will do nothing to improve matters on the pitch and it very effectively deflects all criticism away from Brent and the board off it.

It is not Sheridan who has loaded all of Brent's take-over costs against the club, it is not Sheridan who was responsible for setting a fanciful break even attendance target and it is not Sheridan who sets the club's budget just like it isn't his job to ensure that the floodlights work properly.

As a club we are swimming against a tide created by the post-admin financial restrictions caused in no small part by a man who bought the club without actually paying a penny of his own money for it and that will still be exactly the same for the unfortunate soul who eventually replaces Sheridan as things stand.

Sturrock failed, Mariner failed, Reid failed, Fletcher failed, Sheridan is failing. Do we really believe that all of them are crap managers? Isn't that just a tiny bit unlikely? Maybe, just maybe it isn't now and hasn't always been the manager's fault.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
Flat_Track_Bully

Flat_Track_Bully

PostSubject: Re: I say get behind Sheridan   I say get behind Sheridan EmptyThu Oct 24, 2013 10:47 am

Sir Francis Drake wrote:

Sturrock failed, Mariner failed, Reid failed, Fletcher failed, Sheridan is failing. Do we really believe that all of them are crap managers? Isn't that just a tiny bit unlikely? Maybe, just maybe it isn't now and hasn't always been the manager's fault.
Mariner and Fletcher had no management experience, and were therefore very risky appointments as they were out of their depth. Sturrock and Reid were arguably past it by the time we appointed/re-appointed them, although you could say that Reid never got a fair chance to have a successful team. I would therefore argue that we have not appointed very good managers since Hollowords and that has contributed to our poor results.

I'm not in the Sherry-fan out camp yet, but he's definitely needs to turn things round soon. In general I don't like sacking managers unless it's absolutely necessary, but I'm not sure 'getting behind' Sherry-fan is going to do much good. He had a lot of good will at the start of the season and he seems to be using it up fast.

We have Mansfield on Saturday who haven't won in 4. We then have 3 matches in November against other teams near the bottom. If we are still near the relegation area by the end of November then I think Sherry-fan will have to go unfortunately. Sacking him would be less costly than relegation to the conference. If the stories of him not being at training are true, we could even just sack him and leave Owers in charge for a while to see whether he could turn things round.
Back to top Go down
http://www.sciencebrainwaves.com/
Dougie

Dougie

PostSubject: Re: I say get behind Sheridan   I say get behind Sheridan EmptyThu Oct 24, 2013 10:54 am

I think if you try to read body language alone it's more down to what Sheridan wants. If he has given up or showing signs that he's given up the Board need to have frank and open talks with him. Then get behind him.

Senior players need have frank and open talks with him. Then get behind him.

John Sheridan needs to have a frank look at himself. Then back himself.

Tell the fans that those discussions have happened. Present a united front. Sheridan ups his appearance of caring. Then hey presto with an upturn in results at the same time and the fans will get behind him.

The form and attititude that got him the job in the first place should keep him in the job now.

Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: I say get behind Sheridan   I say get behind Sheridan EmptyThu Oct 24, 2013 11:02 am

If they are true.

And it matters not a jot if they aren't because the damage is already successfully done.

I'm an Argyle supporter and even when I'm desperately unhappy with a player or a manager I find it extremely distasteful to do anything other than back them fully. I can't help it.

And just like you I don't think the constant merry-g-round of manager sacking does anybody much good. Mostly it's macho posturing akin to willy waving perpetrated by chairmen who want to deflect responsibility and show that they are exerting control by taking drastic steps when often it was that same chairman who interviewed and recruited the manager who has to go.

The turmoil of recent times, the direction of travel for all too long and the devastation of the club throughout its various levels and the financial malaise mean that turning Argyle around is going to be no easy task for anybody. It might not even be possible. It's becoming ever clearer that we have to start addressing the possibility that our nosedive hasn't bottomed out yet.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: I say get behind Sheridan   I say get behind Sheridan EmptyThu Oct 24, 2013 11:06 am

Dougie wrote:
I think if you try to read body language alone it's more down to what Sheridan wants.  If he has given up or showing signs that he's given up the Board need to have frank and open talks with him.  Then get behind him.

Senior players need have frank and open talks with him.  Then get behind him.

John Sheridan needs to have a frank look at himself.  Then back himself.

Tell the fans that those discussions have happened.  Present a united front.  Sheridan ups his appearance of caring.  Then hey presto with an upturn in results at the same time and the fans will get behind him.

The form and attititude that got him the job in the first place should keep him in the job now.

Absolutely. This is what should happen in most industries. If somebody is under-performing then the reasons for it need to be uncovered and addressed and whatever support is required provided to enable them to succeed.

Obviously football is not most industries. In football the manager gets subtly undermined and eventually walks out or more often is sacked.
Back to top Go down
Dougie

Dougie

PostSubject: Re: I say get behind Sheridan   I say get behind Sheridan EmptyThu Oct 24, 2013 11:13 am

Agreed.  But it appears Sheridan is undermining himself right now.  I'm not a booer of players or managers on matchday.  Don't see the point at all.  

The training stuff was weird as it appeared to come from a player or someone close to a player.  But if training is not what it needs to be the Board, senior players and Sheridan need to sort it out.

Branston is not playing and if you look at his twitter is not happy.  And he doesn't appear to be happy with some of the team selection.  There was a square pegs in round holes comment.

So there is one senoir player who needs to get behind Sheridan.  And what of Wottons run in with some fans.  He obvioulsy thinks the players are doing everything they can.  So who does that leave.  Either way it needs sorting.

I'm someone who thought Sheridan was our best hope for this season. That he would get something out of a less than inspiring group of players. I still want to believe he's our best shot but he's making it difficult.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: I say get behind Sheridan   I say get behind Sheridan EmptyThu Oct 24, 2013 1:33 pm

Sheridans demeanor screams "I'm quite obviously looking to engineer my sacking and a very nice pay-off."

There's a plague that seems to be engrained through the club from top to bottom, and nothing Sheridans says or does or shows of late demonstrates that he wants to be here in any way shape or form.

He did ok to start with, and I was quite optimistic about him. But his attitude and enthusiasm directly mirrors that coming from the Boardroom.

Nobody seems to give a fcuk.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I say get behind Sheridan   I say get behind Sheridan EmptyThu Oct 24, 2013 9:26 pm

I'd like to get behind Sheridan but they closed the Moanflower. Actually, I hated sitting there in shit seats with a bad view getting wet. You get my point though. LOL
Back to top Go down
jabba the gut ecfc

PostSubject: Re: I say get behind Sheridan   I say get behind Sheridan EmptyFri Oct 25, 2013 12:42 am

Czarcasm wrote:
Sheridans demeanor screams "I'm quite obviously looking to engineer my sacking and a very nice pay-off."

There's a plague that seems to be engrained through the club from top to bottom, and nothing Sheridans says or does or shows of late demonstrates that he wants to be here in any way shape or form...
It could be true that he's become disillusioned. You're obviously best placed to judge that, but I have noticed that his demeanour in press conferences does seem surprisingly gloomy and at times he comes across as baffled, which can't inspire confidence in your players.

Someone on a general football forum claimed that the amount of compensation paid to managers is not always as much as people think. Apparently it isn't mandatory that the remaining amount of the contract is paid in full - there can be a clause specifying an amount of compensation to be received in the event of dismissal that is significantly less.

Bearing in mind Brent's parsimonious attitude to business, you would imagine he inserted just such a clause in Sheridan's contract. In that case you would imagine Sheridan is odds-on to keave - otherwise he's unlikely to go anywhere.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I say get behind Sheridan   I say get behind Sheridan EmptyFri Oct 25, 2013 6:23 am

Czarcasm wrote:

There's a plague that seems to be engrained through the club from top to bottom, and nothing Sheridans says or does or shows of late demonstrates that he wants to be here in any way shape or form.

He did ok to start with, and I was quite optimistic about him. But his attitude and enthusiasm directly mirrors that coming from the Boardroom.

Nobody seems to give a fcuk.
Any wonder so many long term fans are now not giving one? In 46 years I can't remember a worst 5 year demise and it seems to be able to go even more lowlife now - hate all involved in this shambles of a club, now the only trips down are more for the beer than the footy!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I say get behind Sheridan   I say get behind Sheridan EmptyFri Oct 25, 2013 7:35 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

popcorn 
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: I say get behind Sheridan   I say get behind Sheridan EmptyFri Oct 25, 2013 8:04 pm

Greenjock wrote:
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

popcorn 

The natives are restless ! There seem to be fewer actual posters than ever on Napoleon's Farm , so the controllers don't want to ban anyone for daring to speak out.

lol! 

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I say get behind Sheridan   I say get behind Sheridan EmptyFri Oct 25, 2013 8:25 pm

He's got Postey sussed Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I say get behind Sheridan   I say get behind Sheridan EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 4:08 pm

I'm led to believe he is both respected and liked by the players, Despite some lacklustre recent performances he never criticises the players publicly. I don't read too much into his body language either, I'm old enough to remember him in his playing days and though he was a quality player at some big clubs he often looked like he'd rather be elsewhere, some people are just made that way while others in the Martin O'neill, Ian Holloway mould jump around like whirling dervishes whenever their team is awarded a corner.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I say get behind Sheridan   I say get behind Sheridan EmptyMon Oct 28, 2013 4:10 pm

Alf Ramsey
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I say get behind Sheridan   I say get behind Sheridan EmptyWed Oct 30, 2013 10:58 am

Did any ATDers attend the Q&A with JS in Bodmin last night ?
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: I say get behind Sheridan   I say get behind Sheridan EmptyWed Oct 30, 2013 11:47 am

Don't fink so.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I say get behind Sheridan   I say get behind Sheridan EmptyWed Oct 30, 2013 12:12 pm

Do any of the ATD membership actually live in Devon or Cornwall, Many of you seem to have flown the nest to the far flung corners of the globe.
What's wrong with our magnificent Ocean City ? Youm naaat praaaaper faaans. jocolor 
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

PostSubject: Re: I say get behind Sheridan   I say get behind Sheridan EmptyWed Oct 30, 2013 12:33 pm

I'm coming dain this weekend for a night or two in the rum and a pasty. Basically a local. Green armeeee
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/

PostSubject: Re: I say get behind Sheridan   I say get behind Sheridan EmptyWed Oct 30, 2013 12:38 pm

Mock Cuncher wrote:
I'm coming dain this weekend for a night or two in the rum and a pasty. Basically a local. Green armeeee

Do you bathe in it man ? How extravagant !!!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I say get behind Sheridan   I say get behind Sheridan EmptyWed Oct 30, 2013 1:23 pm

I must admit the q and a session with Sheridan sounded very positive which is a relief. According to anyone attending the last few games he hasn't looked interested or as if he's even involved in the coaching.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I say get behind Sheridan   I say get behind Sheridan EmptyWed Oct 30, 2013 2:26 pm

Graham Clark wrote on the farm,

John Sheridan and John Harbin were much more uplifting and reassuring last night than anyone could have reasonably expected. The questioning was robust and direct and their responses were as respectful as they were informative.

As others have said it was a very honest appraisal of where we are, what the frustrations are and have been and how the team management intend to turn things around. No questions were ducked and forthright and surprisingly open answers were given. It was made clear additional players, in key positions,are being sought with the full financial support of the Chairman. John Simmons as chairman for the evening was taking detailed notes of the questions and answers and I will leave him to fill in the detail in a more comprehensive way.

The general point I wanted to make was that the meeting was successful because it enable supporters to share their genuine concerns direct with the team management and in turn it demonstrated, without doubt, how both John Sheridan and John Harbin cared about the football club, the supporters, the team and importantly the welfare of members of that team. Anyone who heard John Harbin's rousing comments at the end of the meeting will know what I mean.

What I hope is that similar meetings with the team management can be arranged at Home Park (and not just open to Members) and with other supporter's groups around the country. I think it will massively help provide a connection between the supporters and the club that seems to have gone missing recently.

Of course what matters most is the performances on the pitch, starting with Northampton on Saturday. It will be most interesting to see if the promised improvements in attitude (including body language) and confidence translate to an improved performance and a victory on the pitch. If they do then a corner in Argyle's season, after all the frustration, may well have been turned.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I say get behind Sheridan   I say get behind Sheridan EmptyWed Oct 30, 2013 3:03 pm

Exactly what I meant. Now all we need is to see the players being as positive and start by beating Northampton with a much better display than the fans have had to endure at Home Park for months.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: I say get behind Sheridan   I say get behind Sheridan EmptyThu Jan 02, 2014 7:48 pm

Has there been any bitching about Sheridan working part-time or him having negative body language lately?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: I say get behind Sheridan   I say get behind Sheridan EmptyThu Jan 02, 2014 7:58 pm

Sir Francis Drake wrote:
Has there been any bitching about Sheridan working part-time or him having negative body language lately?
If we lose a couple,i'll be bitching about both, along with you franny and everybody else!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: I say get behind Sheridan   I say get behind Sheridan Empty

Back to top Go down

I say get behind Sheridan
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next