Tgwu
lawnmowerman
33 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage
Dane

Dane

Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre    Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre  - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 20, 2013 1:58 pm

So. Isn't Jane Brent just doing what Heaney proposed. ???? If so why is no one up in arms about it apart from on this website
Back to top Go down
Dougie

Dougie

PostSubject: Re: Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre    Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre  - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 20, 2013 2:15 pm

I might be in the minority but I love the Civic Centre and love the fact that it's listed. I've even got a t-shirt with an image of it on bought from a Plymouth skateboard shop - Flatspot (long gone I guess) - when they the council were on one of their previous and frequent campaigns to knock it down.

If anything the building is let down by the landscaping and open spaces around it.

As for it crumbling and being run down. It's pure neglect over a long period of time by the custodians of the building ie various Labour and Conservative administration. Apart from anything else it's an as old as the hill developers trick to let a building go to rack and ruin then say it's more cost effective to pull it down etc. So thank goodness for the listing and shame of the good burghers of Plymouth for letting it get into a state.
Back to top Go down
Dane

Dane

PostSubject: Re: Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre    Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre  - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 20, 2013 2:32 pm

Knock it down I say, bloody eye sore
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre    Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre  - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 20, 2013 2:47 pm

Just get it flatened, then just get it built, whatever it is.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre    Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre  - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 20, 2013 3:46 pm

he is clearly playing a real life game of monopoly with all these purchases.
Back to top Go down
Charlie Wood

Charlie Wood

PostSubject: Re: Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre    Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre  - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 20, 2013 4:26 pm

Dougie wrote:
I might be in the minority but I love the Civic Centre and love the fact that it's listed.  I've even got a t-shirt with an image of it on bought from a Plymouth skateboard shop - Flatspot (long gone I guess) - when they the council were on one of their previous and frequent campaigns to knock it down.

If anything the building is let down by the landscaping and open spaces around it.

As for it crumbling and being run down.  It's pure neglect over a long period of time by the custodians of the building ie various Labour and Conservative administration.  Apart from anything else it's an as old as the hill developers trick to let a building go to rack and ruin then say it's more cost effective to pull it down etc.  So thank goodness for the listing and shame of the good burghers of Plymouth for letting it get into a state.
It was certainly a building that brought immense pride and prestige to the city when it was built. As a lad it was one of the icons to fill me with pride to look at, so tall and the elegant flyaway wings. "Oh that, it's just our Town Hall". There's no good reason it couldn't have been kept in good order. I wonder what the youngsters of today will say in 20(?) years time about the sheds in Central park that used to be cinemas and ice rinks. The megabowl out at Plympton might give a hint.

On a separate point how can the Palace have been allowed to get in the state it's in, there's more trees growing out of it than there is in Central Park.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre    Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre  - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 20, 2013 4:27 pm

Sorry, what rumour about the pitch?
Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

PostSubject: Re: Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre    Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre  - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 20, 2013 4:46 pm

Just wondering what other property targets James has his sights on in Brentmouth (sorry plymuff).
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre    Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre  - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 20, 2013 5:02 pm

Tim Chown wrote:
Sorry, what rumour about the pitch?
[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre    Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre  - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 20, 2013 5:33 pm

People who like it don't seem to realise that it's not just a dated building, it's outdated. It had no IT provision built into it as PCs didn't exist - networking a building like that is a nightmare and very costly. It has very limited disabled access - I'd hate to work on any of the floors and be in a wheelchair. Any conversion costs double/triple what it would cost in a newer build. It's very expensive to heat, it's very expensive to maintain and it's served'it's purpose now. It's a waste of Council Tax for PCC to be there - the overhead cost per staff per square metre is far in excess of what a new build would cost.

Whether you like James Brent or not isn't the issue - it's good for Plymouth to get this off the budget for PCC and that can'only be good for Plymouth.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre    Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre  - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 20, 2013 5:38 pm

Dane. wrote:
So.  Isn't Jane Brent just doing what Heaney proposed.  ???? If so why is no one up in arms about it apart from on this website
very good question one i would like Mr. Webb to answer.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre    Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre  - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 20, 2013 5:40 pm

I thought the civic Centre was a listed building anyway? It is an eye sore and should be demolished but if its protected wont that cause a tiny problem?
Back to top Go down
green_genie

green_genie

PostSubject: Re: Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre    Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre  - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 20, 2013 5:44 pm

Angry wrote:
I thought the civic Centre was a listed building anyway? It is an eye sore and should be demolished but if its protected wont that cause a tiny problem?
They don't intend to demolish it. Refurbing main building and build another over an underground car park on the current car park.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre    Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre  - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 20, 2013 5:50 pm

It'll end up as student accommodation - it always does!Razz
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre    Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre  - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 20, 2013 5:55 pm

green_genie wrote:
Angry wrote:
They don't intend to demolish it. Refurbing main building and build another over an underground car park on the current car park.
Is that where the new Council offices will be? I worked in the Civic Centre many moons ago. On a clear day I could see my house from my office window...(mods, please feel free to move this post to mundane...)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre    Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre  - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 20, 2013 5:57 pm

Seeing as we're talking about the rise and rise of the architectural utopia of Brentsmouth, those of you interested in architecture and general building projects, may find this forum I often read quite interesting. (see link below)

Some of it's a little old news, like around pages 1-10, but after that it's quite interesting, and a reminder of all the building work going on in Muff - it sort of makes a you think if the tag-line 'dying city' that's bandied around all-too-often these days, rings true. I don't think it does, anyway, I digress.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre    Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre  - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 20, 2013 6:15 pm

Does Plymouth need anymore Hotels? the ones here now dont make any money what makes brent feel Plymouth needs another 3 built :S
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre    Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre  - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 20, 2013 6:25 pm

The highest rated large hotel in Plymouth is a 3 star. There's a definite requirement.

The plan is to transform the current building into a 160 bed 4* hotel, restaurant and bar, apartments and an art centre.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre    Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre  - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 20, 2013 6:27 pm

hairy j wrote:
The highest rated large hotel in Plymouth is a 3 star. There's a definite requirement.

The plan is to transform the current building into a 160 bed 4* hotel, restaurant and bar, apartments and an art centre.
more restaurants and bars!!! isnt he building this at the pavillions!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre    Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre  - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 20, 2013 6:34 pm

It'd be funny if this hotel takes trade away from the HHP hotel.
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre    Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre  - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 20, 2013 6:49 pm

brent is going to turn the civic centre into a 4 star hotel? You have got to be shitting me.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre    Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre  - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 20, 2013 6:53 pm

Freathy wrote:
brent is going to turn the civic centre into a 4 star hotel?  You have got to be shitting me.

Errrr, Nope!! He is.Razz
Back to top Go down
Fresh-Prince

PostSubject: Re: Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre    Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre  - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 20, 2013 7:02 pm

Interesting isn't it?
I mean on the one hand St. James' disciples have harped on and on over on Pashitti.com about how 17,500 is more than adequate, using average attendance figures and the like and conveniently forgetting the actual definition of the word average (ie. there are times when the attendance is significantly higher than the average as well as significantly lower)
But when it comes to Hotels there seems to be an entirely different logic at play. Several Hotels have closed in Plymouth in recent times - now call me old fashioned but that tends to suggest that the City doesn't need a surplus of Hotel rooms, there aren't people frantically scurrying around the City, luggage all over the show fighting over the last remaining flea-bitten B&B room. Yet the people who say Home Park doesn't need adequate provision to cater for the occasional customer are the people who, quite contrary to the general trend, think that Plymouth needs to build Hotels galore? I'm rather puzzled.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre    Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre  - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 20, 2013 7:22 pm

I think the stand is too small AND that the city does need a good quality hotel in the centre of the city. I've had a look briefly online and I can find Boringdon Hall and St Elizabeth's House. Both are on the outskirts and both are often used for weddings and both are fairly small so there is a market for it. The Copthorne was a 4 star but no longer is. I must admit, I live here so I'm not often interested in hotels. When the in-laws are down from Halifax, they stay at a hotel and they have commented that it's difficult to get a room other than the Premier Inn down at Coxside. That's anecdotal but they'd prefer to stay somewhere a little nicer and would pay for a little more luxury. I used to have a lot of contact with sales reps too and they've said the same thing.

This isn't about the football club though, it's about the city. What would people rather have? A new hotel creating jobs or a civic building with very high overhead costs that are paid for, in part, from the council tax. Would people prefer more social workers, more street cleaners, more grants for local organisations and community groups or would they prefer to not have James Brent build a hotel?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre    Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre  - Page 2 EmptyTue Aug 20, 2013 7:32 pm

hairy j wrote:
I think the stand is too small AND that the city does need a good quality hotel in the centre of the city. I've had a look briefly online and I can find Boringdon Hall and St Elizabeth's House. Both are on the outskirts and both are often used for weddings and both are fairly small so there is a market for it. The Copthorne was a 4 star but no longer is. I must admit, I live here so I'm not often interested in hotels. When the in-laws are down from Halifax, they stay at a hotel and they have commented that it's difficult to get a room other than the Premier Inn down at Coxside. That's anecdotal but they'd prefer to stay somewhere a little nicer and would pay for a little more luxury. I used to have a lot of contact with sales reps too and they've said the same thing.

This isn't about the football club though, it's about the city. What would people rather have? A new hotel creating jobs or a civic building with very high overhead costs that are paid for, in part, from the council tax. Would people prefer more social workers, more street cleaners, more grants for local organisations and community groups or would they prefer to not have James Brent build a hotel?
I'd rather have the owner of our football club investing some of this money in the team instead.

If he'd rather run around playing monopoly and ignoring the team as we struggle against relegation then he should think about whether being the owner of a football club really is for him.

When the owner of our club goes around splashing the cash again yet seem reluctant to part with any money when it comes to giving Sheridan a decent chunk to spend on the team then it pisses me off quite frankly.

If you don't agree with that then feel free to put up an inane gif or something equally as boring.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre    Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre  - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre
Page 2 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next