seadog
green_genie
Tgwu
lawnmowerman
33 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next
AuthorMessage

Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre  - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre    Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre  - Page 7 EmptyFri Aug 23, 2013 8:21 am

GOB wrote:
Actually I agree with your perception Zyph but that's what it is, it's a personal perception. As you say though, it's "some", not the whole user ship of ATD.

Keep it up, if enough join the site with the same views then that perception can be changed.

Pasoti is now just a commercial and personal publicity machine for James Brent, the fans need and deserve an independent site.

Some don't like to hear any other line than foul mouthing anything that is not anti everything to do with PAFC.

Some would get quite hysterical if there were too many like me around without a hate for pasoti....I've said nothing to get thrown out of pasoti.....which gives me access to say what I want at times....in a civilized non-foul mouthed way.

Of course if some don't like it I can easily go away and let you all stew in your own juice.......but that would be self defeating for ATD... to be seen as no more than a protest group.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre    Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre  - Page 7 EmptyFri Aug 23, 2013 8:27 am

When you say "all" I take you mean everyone that uses ATD, or do you mean "some" as you have also stated?

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre    Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre  - Page 7 EmptyFri Aug 23, 2013 8:39 am

GOB wrote:

When you say "all" I take you mean everyone that uses ATD, or do you mean "some" as you have also stated?

Sorry GOB...I can't find where I've said..."all"....and why I've used it.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre    Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre  - Page 7 EmptyFri Aug 23, 2013 8:44 am

ZYPH wrote:
GOB wrote:

Sorry GOB...I can't find where I've said..."all"....and why I've used it.

I can easily go away and let you all stew in your own juice
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre    Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre  - Page 7 EmptyFri Aug 23, 2013 8:58 am

Angry wrote:
ZYPH wrote:
Angry wrote:
ZYPH wrote:
Not enough quality Hotels available in Plymouth....so people with money go elsewhere.....quite simple really.

Even this day and age their will always be people with money who want the best accomodation available.
nonsense there are loads of hotels ranging in prices. People just dont want to come to plymouth as there is nothing here. Building more and more hotels isnt going to change that.
Don't run down Plymouth.... it is brilliantly situated as a touring centre to go east,west or north from.

Have you counted the Americans that want to see those Barbican steps to the new world....they love their history and can't wait to find their ancestral roots.
I say again there is nothing of worth in plymouth that would suggest that it needs hundreds of hotels. Also, the steps you refer too are under the ladies toilet block in a nearby pub.

If they are as you say under the ladies toilet block in a neareby pub.......then the council should remove that plaque on the barbican wall referring to those dilapidated algae covered steps the otherside of the wall.

If they where the remains of the orignal steps,what the hell are the council doing to allow them to be so insignificant in the history of Plymouth and it's link to a momentous moment in the berth of the founding of America.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre    Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre  - Page 7 EmptyFri Aug 23, 2013 9:19 am

On my first visit for 8 years, I enjoyed a lovely day strolling around Western Kings, The Hoe and the Barbican before taking the water taxi back to Turnchapel. These areas still maintain their beauty, proud history and 'wow factor'. There were even people swimming in Tinside pool Cool 

My only gripe is with the way Argyle has and is being run and now used for personal gain, with future ambition being ignored through a toxic mixture of self interest and lack of vision. A mirror image of the city itself.

Driving through Plymouth on a Saturday at 1.30pm and not being interested in stopping to take in the first home league fixture, was beyond belief for me in the previous half century.
Anyone think the jury is still out on the reluctant bidder and his jamboys ? Rolling Eyes 

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre    Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre  - Page 7 EmptyFri Aug 23, 2013 11:10 am

ZYPH wrote:
Angry wrote:
ZYPH wrote:
Angry wrote:
ZYPH wrote:
Not enough quality Hotels available in Plymouth....so people with money go elsewhere.....quite simple really.

Even this day and age their will always be people with money who want the best accomodation available.
nonsense there are loads of hotels ranging in prices. People just dont want to come to plymouth as there is nothing here. Building more and more hotels isnt going to change that.
Don't run down Plymouth.... it is brilliantly situated as a touring centre to go east,west or north from.

Have you counted the Americans that want to see those Barbican steps to the new world....they love their history and can't wait to find their ancestral roots.
I say again there is nothing of worth in plymouth that would suggest that it needs hundreds of hotels. Also, the steps you refer too are under the ladies toilet block in a nearby pub.

If they are as you say under the ladies toilet block in a neareby pub.......then the council should remove that plaque on the barbican wall referring to those dilapidated algae covered steps the otherside of the wall.

If they where the remains of the orignal steps,what the hell are the council doing to allow them to be so insignificant in the history of Plymouth and it's link to a momentous moment in the berth of the founding of America.
The genuine remains of the mayflower steps are really under a ladies toilets block in the Admiral MacBride.
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre    Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre  - Page 7 EmptyFri Aug 23, 2013 11:16 am

ZYPH wrote:
GOB wrote:

Sorry we are not negative enough for you Zyph, maybe a different angle and a different smear attempt would help? lol! 
Please GOB that isn't correct....some on here are too darn negative.....you can hear them dragging their "chip" around like a ball and chain.

Until they stop doing that ATD will just be a load of ex-pasoti rejects.....ATD deserves to be a supporters group with it's own identity and not looking over it's shoulder all the time.....which allows those on pasoti to continue having a smug smile at you all.
Zyph, ATD has to look over it's shoulder all the time because of the constant activities of certain people from another site and their obsession to stop criticism of Argyle and close this site down.

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre    Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre  - Page 7 EmptyFri Aug 23, 2013 11:17 am

hairy j wrote:
Nothing to do in Plymouth. Hypothetical, I am staying in the 4* hotel in the centre of the City.

Day 1 - take a bus to Admiral's Hard and get on the Cremyl Ferry to Mt Edgcumbe. Wander around the grounds, grab lunch at The Edgcumbe Arms and get the ferry back to Plymouth. I take a right and walk down to the Royal William Yard and have a few drinks overlooking the Tamar. I then take a walk back to the hotel, have a shower and get changed. In the evening, I'm off to the Barbican and I take in a few pubs and decide to have fish n' chips in Platters. A few pints on my way back to the hotel.

Day 2 - I'm off to the Aquarium today - spend four hours there and have a late lunch at Table Table. In the evening, I go to the theatre.

Day 3 - I've booked a canoe trip around Mount Batten and a day of watersports ensues. In the evening, I'm eating at Tanners.

Day 4 - I'm a hiker today so I get on the 84 bus and head out to Yelverton for a day of hiking around the moors. I go for a swim in the Life Centre before an evening meal on the 14th floor.

Day 5 - I'm a keen fisherman so the five people I've come with have hired a boat and we're out fishing. In true fisherman style, we eat what we catch on the boat.

There's a lot to do here and a lot to do that's nearby. The biggest zoo in Europe, the Eden Project, miles and miles of Cornish coastlines, Crealy in Exeter, coastal and moorland walks. A lot of it is free too. The kids are on holiday at the moment and we've had some great days out at Saltram and Mount Batten and spent hardly anything. There's also things you can pay for. If you think there's nothing to do, move to Las Vegas.
Now let's pretend most of the world isn't single old men spending their retirement pensions.

Most of your itenary would bore a goat to tears and would end up more expensive than a package holiday.

Plymouth has some quirky interesting stuff to do, but none of it is tourist attractions. People dont cone from all around to swim at the life centre ffs, unless they are in training for the olympic games.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre    Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre  - Page 7 EmptyFri Aug 23, 2013 11:19 am

ejh wrote:
hairy j wrote:
Nothing to do in Plymouth. Hypothetical, I am staying in the 4* hotel in the centre of the City.

Day 1 - take a bus to Admiral's Hard and get on the Cremyl Ferry to Mt Edgcumbe. Wander around the grounds, grab lunch at The Edgcumbe Arms and get the ferry back to Plymouth. I take a right and walk down to the Royal William Yard and have a few drinks overlooking the Tamar. I then take a walk back to the hotel, have a shower and get changed. In the evening, I'm off to the Barbican and I take in a few pubs and decide to have fish n' chips in Platters. A few pints on my way back to the hotel.

Day 2 - I'm off to the Aquarium today - spend four hours there and have a late lunch at Table Table. In the evening, I go to the theatre.

Day 3 - I've booked a canoe trip around Mount Batten and a day of watersports ensues. In the evening, I'm eating at Tanners.

Day 4 - I'm a hiker today so I get on the 84 bus and head out to Yelverton for a day of hiking around the moors. I go for a swim in the Life Centre before an evening meal on the 14th floor.

Day 5 - I'm a keen fisherman so the five people I've come with have hired a boat and we're out fishing. In true fisherman style, we eat what we catch on the boat.

There's a lot to do here and a lot to do that's nearby. The biggest zoo in Europe, the Eden Project, miles and miles of Cornish coastlines, Crealy in Exeter, coastal and moorland walks. A lot of it is free too. The kids are on holiday at the moment and we've had some great days out at Saltram and Mount Batten and spent hardly anything. There's also things you can pay for. If you think there's nothing to do, move to Las Vegas.
Now let's pretend most of the world isn't single old men spending their retirement pensions.

Most of your itenary would bore a goat to tears and would end up more expensive than a package holiday.

Plymouth has some quirky interesting stuff to do, but none of it is tourist attractions. People dont cone from all around to swim at the life centre ffs, unless they are in training for the olympic games.
Four hours??

Took just over an hour to get round the last time I went Laughing 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre    Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre  - Page 7 EmptyFri Aug 23, 2013 12:29 pm

Yea Man wrote:
ejh wrote:
hairy j wrote:

Four hours??

Took just over an hour to get round the last time I went :lol: 

Took me less than an hour and that was with the missus and kid, could have done it on my own in 15 mins. I thought it was Quite poor and if i'd travelled a long distance to see it i would have been spitting feathers !!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre    Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre  - Page 7 EmptyFri Aug 23, 2013 12:36 pm

My hypothetical list of days wasn't an entire week for the same person from day 1 to 5, it was just a few examples of what people might do when they're here; I've already stated that I could have given many more "days out" ideas but don't really want to sit for hours posting on ATD about tourism attractions - I've got other forums to moan on about Sonic The Hedgehog.
I believe we have a diverse range of tourist attractions and although we lack a nearby theme park, we have a diversity to suit all ages, all pockets and all types of people. We're likely to be getting something a lot better than the Museum too in the near future - keep your eyes peeled for that one.

As for people stating it's "boring", we don't have a roller-coaster, that's true - instead of bemoaning what we don't have, look at what we do have.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre    Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre  - Page 7 EmptyFri Aug 23, 2013 12:38 pm

hairy j wrote:
My hypothetical list of days wasn't an entire week for the same person from day 1 to 5, it was just a few examples of what people might do when they're here; I've already stated that I could have given many more "days out" ideas but don't really want to sit for hours posting on ATD about tourism attractions - I've got other forums to moan on about Sonic The Hedgehog.  
I believe we have a diverse range of tourist attractions and although we lack a nearby theme park, we have a diversity to suit all ages, all pockets and all types of people.  We're likely to be getting something a lot better than the Museum too in the near future - keep your eyes peeled for that one.

As for people stating it's "boring", we don't have a roller-coaster, that's true - instead of bemoaning what we don't have, look at what we do have.  
Plymouth is failing to use it potential which is why its stand still today. It has to do more than build hotels to attract business and tourists while creating jobs and pride for locals.
Back to top Go down
jabba the gut ecfc

PostSubject: Re: Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre    Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre  - Page 7 EmptyFri Aug 23, 2013 4:41 pm

hairy j wrote:
I believe we have a diverse range of tourist attractions and although we lack a nearby theme park, we have a diversity to suit all ages, all pockets and all types of people. We're likely to be getting something a lot better than the Museum too in the near future - keep your eyes peeled for that one.

I won't elaborate on all the reasons why I think this is a rose-tinted and unrealistically partisan view of your city. Given where I went to school I'll be falsely accused of being a WUM by most on here. What I will say is that I think you are almost completely overlooking one of your major problems (IMO THE major problem). Namely the fact that your transport links with the rest of the country are so abysmal. It's no good having a range of things to do in Plymouth if people are put off by the tedious enterprise of getting there, when they could do vaguely similar things elsewhere with half the transport hassles.

There is no doubt in my mind that Exeter is booming as much as a result of the fact that it has been able to capitalise on the popularity of Devon due to it's better transport links as much as any particular draw it may or may not have.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre    Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre  - Page 7 EmptyFri Aug 23, 2013 6:06 pm

I mentioned that earlier jabba. If you stuck Plymouth on the end of a motorway and attached an international airport to it, we'd be having a very different discussion.

Come on then naysayers, what would you do to increase tourism? A lot of negative assuming, no facts and sweeping incorrect statements - as usual.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre    Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre  - Page 7 EmptyFri Aug 23, 2013 6:15 pm

If I did it I'd put a motorway down to Plymouth and open an international airport.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre    Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre  - Page 7 EmptyFri Aug 23, 2013 6:30 pm

hairy j wrote:
I mentioned that earlier jabba. If you stuck Plymouth on the end of a motorway and attached an international airport to it, we'd be having a very different discussion.

Come on then naysayers, what would you do to increase tourism? A lot of negative assuming, no facts and sweeping incorrect statements - as usual.
I'd make a helluva lot more of the Mayflower link that's for sure, plus advertise the beaches in the area much more. When I think of beaches in the southwest it's Cornwall plus North Devon and the Torbay area.
Back to top Go down
jabba the gut ecfc

PostSubject: Re: Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre    Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre  - Page 7 EmptyFri Aug 23, 2013 7:48 pm

hairy j wrote:
I mentioned that earlier jabba...
Whoops-a-daisy.

Apologies Mr J.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre    Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre  - Page 7 EmptySat Aug 24, 2013 12:06 am

Greenjock wrote:
hairy j wrote:

I'd make a helluva lot more of the Mayflower link that's for sure, plus advertise the beaches in the area much more. When I think of beaches in the southwest it's Cornwall plus North Devon and the Torbay area.
Depends on what you want from a beach: Wembury is a site of special scientific interest and you won't find better rockpooling country anywhere else in the world; Mothecombe is sandy, unspoiled and indescribably beautiful; Bigbury has the famous Burgh Island, an almost unique tidal causeway and a great little pub; Bantham is a sandy treat with a river estuary and a beautiful village a stone's throw away; Whitsand Bay has miles of, usually almost deserted, beach and is a fantastic diving site; none of them very far from Plymouth (and we could even claim Wembury as genuinely being ours at a push). And there's loads of others that somebody else can champion if they so wish.

None of them are ruined by the kiss-me-quick tackiness embodied by some of the Cornish and Torbay beaches you mentioned. But as I said it depends on what you want from a beach. My favourite beach is Barricane Beach in North Devon as it happens but we don't do as badly in Plymouth and South Devon as you suggest.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com

PostSubject: Re: Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre    Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre  - Page 7 EmptySat Aug 24, 2013 12:23 am

Sir Francis Drake wrote:
Greenjock wrote:
hairy j wrote:

Depends on what you want from a beach: Wembury is a site of special scientific interest and you won't find better rockpooling country anywhere else in the world; Mothecombe is sandy, unspoiled and indescribably beautiful; Bigbury has the famous Burgh Island, an almost unique tidal causeway and a great little pub; Bantham is a sandy treat with a river estuary and a beautiful village a stone's throw away; Whitsand Bay has miles of, usually almost deserted, beach and is a fantastic diving site; none of them very far from Plymouth (and we could even claim Wembury as genuinely being ours at a push). And there's loads of others that somebody else can champion if they so wish.

None of them are ruined by the kiss-me-quick tackiness embodied by some of the Cornish and Torbay beaches you mentioned. But as I said it depends on what you want from a beach. My favourite beach is Barricane Beach in North Devon as it happens but we don't do as badly in Plymouth and South Devon as you suggest.
I don't doubt you're right SFD. I spent two weeks in Cornwall recently and went to some unspoiled beautiful beaches that I had never heard of and wouldn't entertain going to Newquay or Perranporth for the reasons you outlined but even having lived in Cornwall for most of my life and spending my school years in the Torbay area I had no idea that Plymouth had great beaches on it's doorstep.

Maybe I have just wandered around with my eyes closed or maybe Plymouth hasn't made the most of what it has to offer? Plymouth needs a huge boost and unless it happens with an influx of tourists enlightened by an inspired tourism drive then Mr Brent really might be the saviour with his "regeneration" plans.
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre    Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre  - Page 7 EmptySat Aug 24, 2013 12:52 am

Wembury is 9 miles from Home Park; Whitsand Bay also 9 miles away; Mothecombe 12 miles; Bigbury 21 miles; Bantham 24 miles.

When I was in my teens I often cycled to Whitsands and you can get a bus to Wembury. We also have Jennicliff (5 miles) and Bovisand (7 miles) on bus routes although they aren't anywhere near as good.

And then there's Thurlestone, Slapton, Wonwell, Blackpool (not that one) Sands all a shortish drive away.

If you have a car they are all, at a stretch, on "our doorstep" although none of them are actually "in Plymouth" as such.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre    Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre  - Page 7 EmptySat Aug 24, 2013 8:55 am

You can also get to the stunning North Cornish beaches (where I've been for the last few days) in an hour. Harlyn Constantine and Treyarnon are all lovely, if a bit busy this time of year. Watergate, Fistral, and the stunning stretch at Perranporth are all an hour away too. My too favs Sennen and Porthcurno are a bit further west, but when the weather is good, those will stack up against most in Europe.

We do take them for granted.
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

PostSubject: Re: Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre    Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre  - Page 7 EmptySat Aug 24, 2013 9:01 am

Whitsands is the dream, but do I want more tourists there? Nah.
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/

PostSubject: Re: Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre    Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre  - Page 7 EmptySat Aug 24, 2013 9:09 am

Czarcasm wrote:
You can also get to the stunning North Cornish beaches (where I've been for the last few days) in an hour. Harlyn Constantine and Treyarnon are all lovely, if a bit busy this time of year. Watergate, Fistral, and the stunning stretch at Perranporth are all an hour away too. My too favs Sennen and Porthcurno are a bit further west, but when the weather is good, those will stack up against most in Europe.

We do take them for granted.
Good points Cz - about 25 years ago my wife and I went on a bit of a trek down far west Cornwall, the last holiday before our boys were born and stayed in a little b&b in Sennan. We found this little haven called Porth Gwarra a couple of miles away and wow on the right day you could be in no better place on this earth - we went to St. Ives at Easter this year and drove down there again and although it was cold the place was magic!!
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre    Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre  - Page 7 EmptySat Aug 24, 2013 9:14 am

Whitsand Bay at low spring tide it's possible to walk on nothing sandy beach all the way from Polawn to Portwrinkle, a distance of about 7 miles. I ran it once. You won't be able to get back again because of the tide coming in.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre    Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre  - Page 7 Empty

Back to top Go down

Brent preferred bidder to buy civic centre
Page 7 of 8Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8  Next