Han Solos Other Ship
Gareth Nicholson
coathypafc
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
coathypafc

Torquay sack Martin Ling Empty
PostSubject: Torquay sack Martin Ling   Torquay sack Martin Ling EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 2:53 pm

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Torquay United have terminated the contract of first-team manager Martin Ling with immediate effect
Back to top Go down
Gareth Nicholson

PostSubject: Re: Torquay sack Martin Ling   Torquay sack Martin Ling EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 2:58 pm

"The decision is based purely on football grounds".

Hmm.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Torquay sack Martin Ling   Torquay sack Martin Ling EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 3:07 pm

bit wrong given he is ill i sense a tribunal coming.
Back to top Go down
Han Solos Other Ship

Han Solos Other Ship

PostSubject: Re: Torquay sack Martin Ling   Torquay sack Martin Ling EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 3:27 pm

Can they do that if he is ill?
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

PostSubject: Re: Torquay sack Martin Ling   Torquay sack Martin Ling EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 3:40 pm

$turrock was 'ill' before he left the first time around.

Wonder if there's something more interesting afoot at Plainmoor, given that they were doing pretty well until the 'illness' struck...
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/

PostSubject: Re: Torquay sack Martin Ling   Torquay sack Martin Ling EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 4:00 pm

For footballing reasons it's no great surprise but I'm sure the LMA will have something to say about it all.

Mind you if being sick was enough to stop the chairman sacking you there'd be every manager outside the play-offs saying the stress had got to them and they were going to Hawaii to try and get over the depression.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Torquay sack Martin Ling   Torquay sack Martin Ling EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 5:12 pm

Whether he is ill or not makes no difference at all.
He'll have his contract paid up as do all other sacked football managers.
I don't expect Ling or the LMA will have a problem with that.
Back to top Go down
coathypafc

PostSubject: Re: Torquay sack Martin Ling   Torquay sack Martin Ling EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 5:47 pm

Seen someone from Torquay say that there is rumors going around that he had a drink problem and that might of went towards the decision to sack him, but I think it's to do with his health
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Torquay sack Martin Ling   Torquay sack Martin Ling EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 6:02 pm

shame because he had a good team going at Torquay and could have taken them up. Lets cash in and try and steal Billy Bodin and Rene Howe before another team does cheers
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Torquay sack Martin Ling   Torquay sack Martin Ling EmptyMon Apr 29, 2013 7:13 pm

As soon as we have a manager we can start, let's hope we don't f about until it's too late to sign any players.
Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

PostSubject: Re: Torquay sack Martin Ling   Torquay sack Martin Ling EmptyTue Apr 30, 2013 9:39 am

I think you will find most Gull's fans know the extent and nature of Martin Ling's "illness" he did a very good job initially, but it all unravelled badly. I think the club made the right decision yesterday on football grounds, the vast majority of Gull's fans support sacking Ling, but it's how the club do it is the issue. I wish Martin well and hope things work out for him.
Rennie Howe would be a good catch, he is quite skillful and scores, more than likely will go to a league 1 club. If we do get him be prepared for another Rory Fallon type player, comes across as very lazy at times and has poor discipline. But hey compared to Chadwick and Feeney he is world class.
Back to top Go down
merse

PostSubject: Re: Torquay sack Martin Ling   Torquay sack Martin Ling EmptyTue Apr 30, 2013 10:33 am

coathypafc wrote:
Seen someone from Torquay say that there is rumors going around that he had a drink problem and that might of went towards the decision to sack him, but I think it's to do with his health

People say all sorts of things but quite frankly his illness is between him, his doctor, family and employers.....no-one else's and certainly not to be determined by terrace/Internet gossip.

A couple of months ago there was scandalous reporting on a Torquay fans' website that he had been in Torquay on a matchday (had been seen filling his car with petrol, buying a paper etc, etc) at precisely the same time I had spoken to him at a Leyton Orient Youth match in which his son had been involved. I thanked him for something he had done for me sometime earlier and we never touched on his condition save for me wishing him well with his health and recovery.

Off sick or not, his football record had caused alarm amongst the board this season (and must have been causing him much stress) and the performance of the team in his absence under the assistant HE appointed (Shaun Taylor) had been dreadful leading the board to engage the services of Alan Knill and Chris Brass to come in and do a more professional job. No doubt they would like Knill and Brass to take up the reigns under contract, but they are no fools and as a board they will have been making discrete enquiries with other personnel in the world of football management/coaching should a working agreement not be made.

When your club lands up lower in the league table than a club run like Plymouth Argyle (as United did for little while) there is sure to be cause for alarm, but unlike Argyle under James Brent; the action was taken in good time in bringing Alan Knill in and the status of the club was finally secured (just) now the battle is on to re-establish what had been achieved under Paul Buckle and initially under Martin Ling.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Torquay sack Martin Ling   Torquay sack Martin Ling EmptySat May 11, 2013 8:48 pm

Neutral she sounds like a simple minds fan
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: Torquay sack Martin Ling   Torquay sack Martin Ling EmptySat May 11, 2013 8:55 pm

Angry of Mayfair wrote:

Good interview Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Torquay sack Martin Ling   Torquay sack Martin Ling EmptySat May 11, 2013 9:01 pm

Freathy wrote:
Angry of Mayfair wrote:

Good interview Laughing

makes james brent look like dave whelan with ambition lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Torquay sack Martin Ling   Torquay sack Martin Ling EmptySat May 11, 2013 9:02 pm

Angry of Mayfair wrote:

Chris out of the Eggheads
Back to top Go down
merse

PostSubject: Re: Torquay sack Martin Ling   Torquay sack Martin Ling EmptySun May 12, 2013 8:03 am

There's nothing wrog with Thea Bristow, an everyday housewife who runs a local farm and bed & breakfast business!

A lady who went from living a very modest life to (through good fortune) suddenly being a multi millionaire and having disposable income to do as she wished.

As many would in their deam, she invested a lot of it in her favourite football club as well as plenty of other good works helping the Scouting movement, environmental issues and local youth. Tragedy cost her the husband she loved and she bravely carried his torch to the extent that she took his place on the board of Torquay United as the majority shreholder in a consortium of entirely local and lifelong fans...........three of them sons of previous directors.

Now her son Allan has joined her to ensure the family legacy can carry on should anything untoward happen to her and (one would assume) take the pressure off her such as you saw her struggling with in that link. Torquay United fans have absolutely no doubts, suspicions, or fears of the involvement of the Bristow Family in their club, can Argyle fans say the same about James Brent?

By the way, Plymouth lad Shaun Taylor was dismissed by Managing Director Bill Phillips on Friday and I expect that news to become public knowledge tomorrow.
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: Torquay sack Martin Ling   Torquay sack Martin Ling EmptySun May 12, 2013 9:05 am

merse wrote:

Torquay United fans have absolutely no doubts, suspicions, or fears of the involvement of the Bristow Family in their club, can Argyle fans say the same about James Brent?

FFS! We know brent is screwing us over. Where have you been?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Torquay sack Martin Ling   Torquay sack Martin Ling EmptySun May 12, 2013 9:19 am

Our superfans were blinded by a man in a dapper suit, if anyone was blinded by Thea Bristows suit they need an eye test, lol.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Torquay sack Martin Ling   Torquay sack Martin Ling EmptySun May 12, 2013 9:23 am

She looks a bit like Mel B on Bo Selecta

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

I feel a bit sorry for Torquay.
Back to top Go down
merse

PostSubject: Re: Torquay sack Martin Ling   Torquay sack Martin Ling EmptySun May 12, 2013 11:10 am

That's fine...............you carry on feeling sorry for us and we'll carry on out performing you on the field! Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Torquay sack Martin Ling   Torquay sack Martin Ling EmptySun May 12, 2013 11:15 am

merse wrote:
That's fine...............you carry on feeling sorry for us and we'll carry on out performing you on the field! Laughing

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: Torquay sack Martin Ling   Torquay sack Martin Ling EmptySun May 12, 2013 11:34 am

merse wrote:

Despite brent I think our time in this dog shit division is nearly over. By that I mean we'll be leaving via the top entrance not the bottom.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Torquay sack Martin Ling   Torquay sack Martin Ling EmptySun May 12, 2013 11:38 am

merse wrote:
There's nothing wrog with Thea Bristow, an everyday housewife who runs a local farm and bed & breakfast business!

A lady who went from living a very modest life to (through good fortune) suddenly being a multi millionaire and having disposable income to do as she wished.

As many would in their deam, she invested a lot of it in her favourite football club as well as plenty of other good works helping the Scouting movement, environmental issues and local youth. Tragedy cost her the husband she loved and she bravely carried his torch to the extent that she took his place on the board of Torquay United as the majority shreholder in a consortium of entirely local and lifelong fans...........three of them sons of previous directors.

Now her son Allan has joined her to ensure the family legacy can carry on should anything untoward happen to her and (one would assume) take the pressure off her such as you saw her struggling with in that link. Torquay United fans have absolutely no doubts, suspicions, or fears of the involvement of the Bristow Family in their club, can Argyle fans say the same about James Brent?

By the way, Plymouth lad Shaun Taylor was dismissed by Managing Director Bill Phillips on Friday and I expect that news to become public knowledge tomorrow.

i dont know whether to laugh or cry james may not be perfect in fact scrap that he is far from perfect but he at least wouldn't sack someone for being ill.

Last edited by Angry of Mayfair on Sun May 12, 2013 11:58 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Torquay sack Martin Ling   Torquay sack Martin Ling EmptySun May 12, 2013 11:38 am

Freathy wrote:
merse wrote:

Despite brent I think our time in this dog shit division is nearly over. By that I mean we'll be leaving via the top entrance not the bottom.

A bottom entrance isn't always a bad thing Freathy. Be more open minded.

I agree though - we can't stay at the bottom forever. I suspect we'll be the top placed Devon side next season. Torquay are going to struggle. I do feel sorry for them though as I've always enjoyed Plainmoor.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Torquay sack Martin Ling   Torquay sack Martin Ling Empty

Back to top Go down

Torquay sack Martin Ling
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next