Dingle
Freathy
akagreengull
Coxside_Green
29 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10 ... 14  Next
AuthorMessage

My Take On Mr Brent & His Plans - Page 7 Empty
PostSubject: Re: My Take On Mr Brent & His Plans   My Take On Mr Brent & His Plans - Page 7 EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 9:44 pm

GOB wrote:
Angry of Manchester wrote:
GOB wrote:
I have yet to miss a film that I wanted to see, even the most popular films, so on that basis I would argue that there's no way that Plymouth needs or can sustain yet another cinema. That said, I think that most cities the size of Plymouth have more than one cinema complex.

they do but it wouldnt mean more cinema fans will be making use of both. Until they crack pirating cinema numbers will never increase.

I meant that I had never missed a film at the cinema.

then i ask the q and try not to give the ian newell answer Wink

would having the option of the two make a difference as to where you go and see the new bond film?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Take On Mr Brent & His Plans   My Take On Mr Brent & His Plans - Page 7 EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 9:53 pm

Naaa, I would get a pirate copy clown
Back to top Go down
Richard Blight

Richard Blight

PostSubject: Re: My Take On Mr Brent & His Plans   My Take On Mr Brent & His Plans - Page 7 EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 9:56 pm

As many views on the cinema, good or bad maybe of use to people looking at the proposals.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Take On Mr Brent & His Plans   My Take On Mr Brent & His Plans - Page 7 EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 9:59 pm

GOB wrote:
Naaa, I would get a pirate copy clown

lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Take On Mr Brent & His Plans   My Take On Mr Brent & His Plans - Page 7 EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 10:11 pm

Richard Blight wrote:
As many views on the cinema, good or bad maybe of use to people looking at the proposals.

Here's how I see it Rich although I have no facts and figures, just gut feeling.

We have at the present a pretty good and successful entertainment village at Coxside. There's a cinema and a bowling alley that brings in punters that also use 4 (I think) food outlets. None of the businesses are doing bad but they have plenty or room for improvement and growth.

So Brenty decides to double up and provide more or less the same outlets at Central Park that would be in direct competition with the outlets at Coxside.

My gut feeling is that either the outlets at Central Park or the outlets at Coxside would be facing an immediate struggle, businesses closing and jobs lost.
Back to top Go down
Dingle

PostSubject: Re: My Take On Mr Brent & His Plans   My Take On Mr Brent & His Plans - Page 7 EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 10:13 pm

Is the size of the ice rink being compromised for the sake of size of the cinema? I would rather have an ice rink that could house an ice hockey team, the best shows, recreational skating and room where elite skaters could train.

I do live in Plymouth and go to Vue, Reel and the Arts Centre. Rarely is there any need to book. And the Imax in Bournemouth - right on the sea front in a prime location, has been demolished.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Take On Mr Brent & His Plans   My Take On Mr Brent & His Plans - Page 7 EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 10:18 pm

Dingle wrote:
Is the size of the ice rink being compromised for the sake of size of the cinema? I would rather have an ice rink that could house an ice hockey team, the best shows, recreational skating and room where elite skaters could train.

I do live in Plymouth and go to Vue, Reel and the Arts Centre. Rarely is there any need to book. And the Imax in Bournemouth - right on the sea front in a prime location, has been demolished.

would make alot more sense too do that. Then the stand could be amended and everyone will be happy Smile
Back to top Go down
Argyle Fans' Trust

Argyle Fans' Trust

PostSubject: Re: My Take On Mr Brent & His Plans   My Take On Mr Brent & His Plans - Page 7 EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 10:21 pm

It's worth remembering that there's also the cinema in the city centre, next to the Athenaeum. It's currently half the admission price of the Coxside multiplex. It's also the one most likely to struggle in the event of the new IMAX opening at Central Park. The people to suffer will therefore be the poorest citizens of Plymouth. Families who can just about afford the City Centre cinema's prices. but who would never be able to pay IMAX prices. One of the questions the Working Group will be asking is about the viability of the various cinemas in Plymouth, particularly when considering that when the bowling alley opened at Coxside, it was almost immediately followed by the closure of the Plympton Megabowl. It has to be a concern that similar would happen with Plymouth's cinemas.
Back to top Go down
Richard Blight

Richard Blight

PostSubject: Re: My Take On Mr Brent & His Plans   My Take On Mr Brent & His Plans - Page 7 EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 10:21 pm

The Akkeron staff at the Theatre Royal said there was very little profit in the ice rink. It's being built to replace the one at the Pavilions.

What is the reaction to the proposals from the rest of the Plymouth population that are not Argyle fans?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Take On Mr Brent & His Plans   My Take On Mr Brent & His Plans - Page 7 EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 10:28 pm

I didn't even know what an IMAX cinema was until I asked. From what I can gather it is larger screen and a much bigger price to get in. Was quoted £25 for a seat. If this is the case then how will this be a goer in Plymouth anyway? Vue is less than half that price and Reel even cheaper. OK they don't do 4D or 5D or whatever number it can go up to. They don't do super size screens. But at the price, if that is correct I just cannot see people flocking in. It may be novel for a short time but not in the long term given the wage structure locally. Mr and Mrs with 2 kids paying something like between £80 and £100 for a couple of hours entertainment. This isn't London it's the forgotten land.
Back to top Go down
Chemical Ali

PostSubject: Re: My Take On Mr Brent & His Plans   My Take On Mr Brent & His Plans - Page 7 EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 10:33 pm

I go to the Coxside Vue Park fairly often and its only busy on Wednesday (Orange Wednesdays) and some Saturdays. Generally the car park is well used but there are many parking spaces on the other days of the week.

I don't think there is a need for another cinema complex- some may want an Imax cinema screen but are moaning Janners going to pay £20 for an Imax seat (that's a guess at the price). The 'VIP' seats in Vue (which are usually double the price of normal) are usually unused unless the film is new/ blockbuster.

How would HHP cope with Orange Wednesdays? Outland road/ alma road would be a nightmare and parking would be mental affecting the central park park and ride and possible new subterranean car park (if us plebs are allowed to use it)?

There are plenty of sites across Plymouth that are derelict which could do with new construction (even in the city centre)- use those.

Back to top Go down
Dane

Dane

PostSubject: Re: My Take On Mr Brent & His Plans   My Take On Mr Brent & His Plans - Page 7 EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 10:38 pm

As i said before, I dont think plymouth needs another cinema complex
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Take On Mr Brent & His Plans   My Take On Mr Brent & His Plans - Page 7 EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 10:39 pm

Argyle Fans' Trust wrote:
One of the questions the Working Group will be asking is about the viability of the various cinemas in Plymouth, particularly when considering that when the bowling alley opened at Coxside, it was almost immediately followed by the closure of the Plympton Megabowl. It has to be a concern that similar would happen with Plymouth's cinemas.

Thats exactly what did happen to the Drake cinema when the Vue multiplex opened at Coxside.
Back to top Go down
Richard Blight

Richard Blight

PostSubject: Re: My Take On Mr Brent & His Plans   My Take On Mr Brent & His Plans - Page 7 EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 10:45 pm

Ali,

what's Orange Wednesdays? We don't have them in Ashburton. In fact we don't have a cinema........ some nice pubs though and stacks of countryside. Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Take On Mr Brent & His Plans   My Take On Mr Brent & His Plans - Page 7 EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 10:45 pm

Nov 2011

Quote :
BRISTOL'S ill-fated Imax cinema is to stop showing films ... again.
The decision was taken by owners Bristol Aquarium who are yet to decide what to do with the space.

Inside the Imax cinema
The 68ft by 48ft Imax cinema was part of a £97-million development on the city's Harbourside which opened in May 2000 alongside Wildwalk.
But both attractions closed in April 2007 after At-Bristol managers said they were no longer financially viable

Back to top Go down
Chemical Ali

PostSubject: Re: My Take On Mr Brent & His Plans   My Take On Mr Brent & His Plans - Page 7 EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 10:51 pm

Richard Blight wrote:
Ali,

what's Orange Wednesdays? We don't have them in Ashburton. In fact we don't have a cinema........ some nice pubs though and stacks of countryside. Very Happy

If you use the Orange mobile network, you text a number (241 I think) and they will send a code which entitles you to 2 for 1 tickets to the cinema on a Wednesday- By 1830 on a Wednesday night Plymouth's Vue car park is full and there's often 30-40 (or more) cars circling the car park waiting for spaces.

PS I went to Seale Hayne and had friends who rented in Ashburton and went to the Victoria (I think that's what it was called) a few times.

Last edited by Chemical Ali on Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Take On Mr Brent & His Plans   My Take On Mr Brent & His Plans - Page 7 EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 10:52 pm

You should try dogging Fridays, it's heavin I tell ya, heavin!
Back to top Go down
Richard Blight

Richard Blight

PostSubject: Re: My Take On Mr Brent & His Plans   My Take On Mr Brent & His Plans - Page 7 EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 11:00 pm

Chemical Ali wrote:
Richard Blight wrote:
Ali,

If you use the Orange mobile network, you text a number (241 I think) and they will send a code which entitles you to 2 for 1 tickets to the cinema on a Wednesday- By 1830 on a Wednesday night Plymouth's Vue car park is full and there's often 30-40 (or more) cars circling the car park waiting for spaces.

PS I went to Seale Hayne and had friends who rented in Ashburton and went to the Victoria (I think that's what it was called) a few times.

My local that is! I wonder if the landlord fancies trying out Orange Fridays. That's if we can get a signal on the fekking phone lol!
Back to top Go down
Richard Blight

Richard Blight

PostSubject: Re: My Take On Mr Brent & His Plans   My Take On Mr Brent & His Plans - Page 7 EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 11:05 pm

GOB wrote:

Nov 2011

Quote :
BRISTOL'S ill-fated Imax cinema is to stop showing films ... again.
The decision was taken by owners Bristol Aquarium who are yet to decide what to do with the space.

Inside the Imax cinema
The 68ft by 48ft Imax cinema was part of a £97-million development on the city's Harbourside which opened in May 2000 alongside Wildwalk.
But both attractions closed in April 2007 after At-Bristol managers said they were no longer financially viable

Along with Dingles comment about Bournemouth, that is interesting. Why are these Imax cinema's failing? Too expensive?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Take On Mr Brent & His Plans   My Take On Mr Brent & His Plans - Page 7 EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 11:17 pm

Out of curiosity I've just looked up how much it would cost for an adult to watch Iron Man 3 when it comes out later this month. Picked Nottingham randomly. Price quoted for 3D screening was £11.10 which far removed from the £20 - £25 I was told it would be. Not that much different from the other cinemas really so why they fail is a bit of a mystery. They even do deals for multiple attendance in a month which is cheaper still.
Back to top Go down
Chemical Ali

PostSubject: Re: My Take On Mr Brent & His Plans   My Take On Mr Brent & His Plans - Page 7 EmptyWed Apr 03, 2013 11:41 pm

Just seen this on pasoti-

Quote :
The tenant will, every 5 years, have the option to buy back Home Park stadium from the Council for a price equal to twelve times the then annual rent. In the event that the tenant exercises this option, the original restrictive covenants will be re-imposed.

In the event that the tenant acquires the freehold and subsequently develops the Main Stand at Home Park stadium, including non-football uses such as hotel, then the Council will receive an additional payment by way of overage based upon the increase in the value of the land for the non-football uses.

In the event that the tenant redevelops the Main Stand without acquiring the freehold of the stadium, the Council will receive an additional stadium rental equal to 10% of the occupational rental value of any non-football uses within the new stand, such as hotel.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

So Argyle could potentially have an increase in rent with the new retail outlets and ice rink (not sure if the cinema will be on Argyle land or JB's) and not receive any income from those units?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Take On Mr Brent & His Plans   My Take On Mr Brent & His Plans - Page 7 EmptyThu Apr 04, 2013 4:59 am

Richard Blight wrote:
Ali,

me and a couple mates have been in the Bay horse pub for a few pints over the years,
always found it a great pub drunken
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Take On Mr Brent & His Plans   My Take On Mr Brent & His Plans - Page 7 EmptyThu Apr 04, 2013 7:34 am

Sensiblegreeny wrote:
Out of curiosity I've just looked up how much it would cost for an adult to watch Iron Man 3 when it comes out later this month. Picked Nottingham randomly. Price quoted for 3D screening was £11.10 which far removed from the £20 - £25 I was told it would be. Not that much different from the other cinemas really so why they fail is a bit of a mystery. They even do deals for multiple attendance in a month which is cheaper still.

I've just looked at the I-Max Southampton and the standard adult price is £13.90 and kids(12 and under) is £11.35 and for premier seats it's £15.50 and £12.95.

I looked at the I-Max Nottingham and the ticket prices I see are £14 for adult tickets after 5pm and child prices are £11, so the I-Max cinemas are more expensive, but I-Max is different to 3D Sensible, there are loads of cinemas capable of showing 3D films that aren't I-Max cinemas. I expect Hairy will be able to tell you the difference in a kind of way that would be better than Horlicks for ensuring a good nights sleep Very Happy

So it is going to be a more expensive experience foreshore, but it could attract customers from Cornwall, where they still wonder at photographs, and much further up as the I-Max Bristol is no longer showing films. It was always more of a science experience called @Bristol.

According to Wikipedia, these are the only I-Max cinemas in the world! With 11 outside of London and the nearest to Plymouth probably Southampton or Cardiff.

I can see it being extremely popular to start of with but with money being tight these days I'll bet a fair few parents will be telling their kids that they can watch at Vue and not in 3D for £9.00 and £6.70, which is a pretty standard cinema price now. To use Southampton I-Max again, a family of 2 adults and 2 children can get a family ticket for £45.50 for an I-Max film but to watch the same film in 2D costs £23.20 so it is a big difference.

Whether Plymouth could sustain the I-Max cinema I wouldn't know but I would expect that after a few months when the novelty has worn off that the Vue would probably not be as affected as you might think.

Last edited by Greenjock on Thu Apr 04, 2013 7:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: My Take On Mr Brent & His Plans   My Take On Mr Brent & His Plans - Page 7 EmptyThu Apr 04, 2013 7:44 am

I certainly never use the Cinema and dont know many that do these days to be fair, if it gets built i can see it being a waste of time, money and a stranglehold on PAFC
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: My Take On Mr Brent & His Plans   My Take On Mr Brent & His Plans - Page 7 EmptyThu Apr 04, 2013 8:00 am

I have no idea what the demand is for Imax cinemas - is it a passing fad? How many are there in the country? The only one I've heard of is the one on the Southbank near Waterloo in London. Clearly there are more as mentioned by others but with 3D widely used and who knows what other cinema innovations on the horizon, does a single screen Imax cinema even have a future? I have the horrible vision of our tiny stand next to a derelict ex-cinema building a few years down the line.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: My Take On Mr Brent & His Plans   My Take On Mr Brent & His Plans - Page 7 Empty

Back to top Go down

My Take On Mr Brent & His Plans
Page 7 of 14Go to page : Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 10 ... 14  Next