Czarcasm
Sandford_Grecian
Mapperley, darling
Jethro
25 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next
AuthorMessage

The Music thread - Page 13 Empty
PostSubject: Re: The Music thread   The Music thread - Page 13 EmptyWed Feb 19, 2014 6:09 pm

One of the first songs I learnt to play on guitar.

Love lost, such a cost
Give me things that don't get lost
Like a coin that won't get tossed
Rolling home to you.  Rock
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Music thread   The Music thread - Page 13 EmptyWed Feb 19, 2014 9:41 pm

Person Of Interest wrote:
One of the first songs I learnt to play on guitar.

Love lost, such a cost
Give me things that don't get lost
Like a coin that won't get tossed
Rolling home to you.  Rock

I bought a Acoustic Guitar to learn to play the opening intro to street spirit (fade out) by Radiohead after hearing the bends for the first time back in 1999 best £30 i ever spent
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Music thread   The Music thread - Page 13 EmptyThu Feb 20, 2014 11:08 am

Jack Sheppard wrote:
In light of all the shit going on in this crazy World, most recently in Syria and now the Ukraine i felt the urge to upload this little beauty.  RIP Alvin Lee.
P.S.   The first line was surely written for ATD, maybe it should be our theme tune.

Brilliant !!! Remember first hearing it all those years ago, Seems like yesterday and very relevant in these troubled times.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Music thread   The Music thread - Page 13 EmptyThu Feb 20, 2014 12:05 pm

Jack Sheppard wrote:
In light of all the shit going on in this crazy World, most recently in Syria and now the Ukraine i felt the urge to upload this little beauty.  RIP Alvin Lee.
P.S.   The first line was surely written for ATD, maybe it should be our theme tune.

Cheers for that, Jack. I forgot how good that was. I haven't heard that for years. Pretty thought provoking stuff given the current state of this world.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Music thread   The Music thread - Page 13 EmptyThu Feb 20, 2014 12:12 pm

This one always made me chuckle - great satire of the televangist ripoff's in 80's USA, and catchy to boot.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Music thread   The Music thread - Page 13 EmptyThu Feb 20, 2014 12:18 pm

chickendance chickendance chickendance chickendance chickendance chickendance 

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Music thread   The Music thread - Page 13 EmptyThu Feb 20, 2014 12:46 pm

Jack Sheppard wrote:

Cheers for that, Jack. I forgot how good that was. I haven't heard that for years. Pretty thought provoking stuff given the current state of this world.

I'm just an old hippy at heart you know.  party animal 
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

PostSubject: Re: The Music thread   The Music thread - Page 13 EmptyThu Feb 27, 2014 4:13 pm

Music festival returns after break with plans to expand

THE city’s biggest music festival is making a comeback – and looks set to grow.

Barbican International Jazz and Blues Festival was scrapped last year with the organiser blaming a lack of public funding after five successful years.

Now the popular event is to return in June, after linking with a world-class yacht race and supported by a public-private partnership and Plymouth City Council.

Backers say they want to see the event grow and possibly spread to The Hoe and Royal William Yard.

“We are delighted,” said Chris Arscott, chairman of funders Plymouth Waterfront Partnership. “It is a great event that people really enjoy and which draws a lot of people into the city.”

The announcement was made by organiser Dan Thompson of events company Kaos Production. He said on a blog, “We’re partnering with yacht race La Solitaire du Figaro, and Plymouth Waterfront Partnership/Plymouth City Council to bring fabulous free music to Plymouth’s historic quayside quarter.

“Look out for excellent free music to get you dancing in the streets.” Details of acts for the event over the weekend June 13-15 would be revealed later, he said.

La Solitaire is considered the world championships for single-handed racing and is expected to attract 30,000 visitors. This will be the first time the race has come to Plymouth.

Mr Arscott said the Waterfront Partnership – a not for profit company – would be putting £16,000 into the festival which was “most of the cost”.

The city council put £8,000 into the 2012 festival and the Waterfront Partnership £6,500.

“It was unfortunate last year,” said Mr Arscott. “Dan’s aspirations were for an awful lot more in 2013, which was unaffordable.

“We have been negotiating with Dan to stage this year’s event at the same time as La Solitaire du Figaro. It is considerably less money and is for this year only.

“But we would like this to grow. After this event we want to sit down with Dan to see how we can expand it.

“It is our wish to extend the festival around the city and not make it exclusive to the Barbican.

“We need to think about it because having a multi-site event would be much more expensive. Having it on The Hoe and in the Royal William Yard gives it much more scope.

“We have always been committed to the festival. It is such a great shame that it did not happen last year.

“We feel that this year’s festival will bring a lot of people to the Barbican and bring more money into the local economy.”

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Music thread   The Music thread - Page 13 EmptyThu Feb 27, 2014 4:24 pm

Good news, tgwu,

Iv'e been a few times and was well impressed. Especially with quality of the blues line-up. Didn't pay too much attention to the jazz as it's not my cup of tea. I'm sure the king of Calstock (Knecht) may be interested seeing as it involves jazz!!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Music thread   The Music thread - Page 13 EmptyThu Feb 27, 2014 4:32 pm

Yes that is good news and it's something that the City should really focus on and promote.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Music thread   The Music thread - Page 13 EmptyThu Feb 27, 2014 4:48 pm

Indeed, Gobbers. Picture the scene: A hot sunny day on the Barbican, Ice cold Stella, Cap'n Jaspers smell wafting across, and decent blues belting out.  party animal 
Back to top Go down
Tgwu

PostSubject: Re: The Music thread   The Music thread - Page 13 EmptyThu Feb 27, 2014 4:52 pm

And Knecht in his new summer jumper
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Music thread   The Music thread - Page 13 EmptyThu Feb 27, 2014 5:11 pm

And beige cords
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Music thread   The Music thread - Page 13 EmptyThu Feb 27, 2014 5:21 pm

"Ice-cold stella"!!!!! You might as well just ask for a glass of water.

"Don't like jazz"!!!!!  scratch 

"Summer jumper"!!!!! If you're a trad fan it's got to be a duffel-coat. If you're into the modern stuff it's always a crisp suit & tie.

"Beige cords"!!!! I'll have you know my cords are dark brown - both pairs.

As for blues .... do you go for Chicago or country or that ersatz mid-Atlantic stuff where white boys from Hastings sing about the deep south?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Music thread   The Music thread - Page 13 EmptyThu Feb 27, 2014 5:31 pm

Indeed, Gobbers. Picture the scene: A hot sunny day on the Barbican, Ice cold Stella, Cap'n Jaspers smell wafting across, and decent blues belting out.  party animal 

Exactly, no matter what your taste in music, what can be better!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Music thread   The Music thread - Page 13 EmptyThu Feb 27, 2014 9:21 pm

There are only two kinds of music - music I like and music I don't.

The only sort I consistently dislike is country music. Yee haw! But even then I like a lot of Johnny Cash and I do have a Hank Williams album.

As for blues - Sonny Terry & Brownie McGhee was one of the first albums I ever bought. And, talking of Sonny & Brownie.... this couple are making a return visit to Calstock on May 10th. Not only are they one of the best gigs we had last year and absolutely a pair of the nicest people, but they are also the recent winners of the BBC best folk duo awards. Phillip is an awesome slide guitarists & blues harp player who is almost as good as Mr Terry. Be there or be square.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Music thread   The Music thread - Page 13 EmptyThu Feb 27, 2014 9:22 pm

PS

And they were one of the best bands to see at the Van Dike ....... and that club deserves a thread all of its own!
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: The Music thread   The Music thread - Page 13 EmptyFri Feb 28, 2014 7:45 am

The Van Dikes old house in Milford Lane has just been sold actually. I grew up with Jeff and still have vivid memories of his birthday parties at that house. Good times.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Music thread   The Music thread - Page 13 EmptyFri Feb 28, 2014 8:54 am

knecht wrote:
PS

And they were one of the best bands to see at the Van Dike ....... and that club deserves a thread all of its own!

Christ on a bike. When was that? 1875 or summit? rabbit 
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Music thread   The Music thread - Page 13 EmptyFri Feb 28, 2014 8:59 am

knecht wrote:
There are only two kinds of music - music I like and music I don't.

The only sort I consistently dislike is country music. Yee haw! But even then I like a lot of Johnny Cash and I do have a Hank Williams album.

As for blues - Sonny Terry & Brownie McGhee was one of the first albums I ever bought. And, talking of Sonny & Brownie.... this couple are making a return visit to Calstock on May 10th. Not only are they one of the best gigs we had last year and absolutely a pair of the nicest people, but they are also the recent winners of the BBC best folk duo awards. Phillip is an awesome slide guitarists & blues harp player who is almost as good as Mr Terry. Be there or be square.

Sounds good, Knecht. I have just checked my rota and I'm on my four days off on that weekend. I think I shall attend the evenings entertainment and frivolities. May I purchase you a pint of frothing real ale to go with your beard and tank-top that evening? Laughing
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Music thread   The Music thread - Page 13 EmptyFri Feb 28, 2014 9:48 am

Czarcasm wrote:
The Van Dikes old house in Milford Lane has just been sold actually. I grew up with Jeff and still have vivid memories of his birthday parties at that house. Good times.

My mum was friends with Peter's wife, who was a well-known singer, June Marlow.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Music thread   The Music thread - Page 13 EmptyFri Feb 28, 2014 10:05 am

Sounds good, Knecht. I have just checked my rota and I'm on my four days off on that weekend. I think I shall attend the evenings entertainment and frivolities. May I purchase you a pint of frothing real ale to go with your beard and tank-top that evening? Laughing

Sounds good. We are suspecting the 'sold out' notices to go up again so be quickish. Sadly as the bar is only open occasionally we don't sell proper ale - we have some good bottles though. Do some youtube surfing on them first because they do a lot of straight folk music as well.

Here's some of Phillip's harmonica - straight blues. A bit hackneyed but tremendously well done.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: The Music thread   The Music thread - Page 13 EmptyFri Feb 28, 2014 9:05 pm

A great new folk duo; The Rails and a single from their debut album 'Fair warning' called Bonnie Portmore. Enjoy.....................

Back to top Go down
Flat_Track_Bully

Flat_Track_Bully

PostSubject: Re: The Music thread   The Music thread - Page 13 EmptySat Mar 01, 2014 11:01 pm

Couldn't find a 'Saturday Drinking and Listening to' thread, so this'll have to do.

Sipping some Hobgoblin and surfing through Tom Waits' back catalogue on Youtube. Life ain't that bad you know.

Back to top Go down
http://www.sciencebrainwaves.com/

PostSubject: Re: The Music thread   The Music thread - Page 13 EmptySun Mar 02, 2014 10:52 am

The piano had been drinking. Or so I was told.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Music thread   The Music thread - Page 13 Empty

Back to top Go down

The Music thread
Page 13 of 17Go to page : Previous  1 ... 8 ... 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17  Next