The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Tyler Harvey- Kevin Hodges' view

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Chemical Ali

Tyler Harvey- Kevin Hodges' view Empty
PostSubject: Tyler Harvey- Kevin Hodges' view   Tyler Harvey- Kevin Hodges' view EmptyTue Oct 30, 2012 8:43 am

Hodges interview with the Herald regarding Tyler Harvey with the usual cliches 'very good prospect', 'a lot of work still to do'. Personally I would stick him on the bench for the Dorchester game and give him 15 minutes (if all is going well). He can't be any worse than Feeney or Chadwick.

Quote :
ACADEMY manager Kevin Hodges has praised the development of Plymouth Argyle's 17-year-old striker Tyler Harvey.

Hodges described the Pilgrims' apprentice as 'a very good prospect' but insisted he still had a lot of work ahead of him to fulfil his potential.

​Harvey has scored 10 goals in all games this season, including the first two in Argyle's 3-0 victory over Exeter City in a FA Youth Cup first round tie at Home Park last Wednesday.

His form has led to scouts from Premier League clubs taking an interest in the progress of the young Plymothian.

Harvey started a two-year apprenticeship with Argyle in July 2011 after progressing through the club's centre of excellence.

He has already agreed to sign on as a professional next summer.

Hodges told Herald Sport: "When we took him in at the start of last season there were a few little question marks.

"We saw the ability Tyler has and, I have to say, over the last 12 months he has gone up a number of levels.

"He's now scoring goals regularly in the youth team, and he came on and got one for the reserves the other week, so he's full of confidence. That's what you look for.

"The thing is he has got to find that level of consistency to keep that going. I see him as a very good prospect, but he has still got a lot of work to do."

Both of Harvey's goals against Exeter were good examples of a striker reacting to situations before anyone else.

For his first one, Harvey had an initial shot blocked but followed up to tap in the loose ball from almost on the line.

His second goal came when Exeter 'keeper Christy Pym spilled a 25-yard drive from midfielder River Allen and Harvey darted in to apply the finish from close range.

Hodges said: "Not many people have the anticipation and the reaction in those types of situation in a game.

"Some players just stand and watch. The rebounding aspect is something we try to stress within our training sessions.

"We encourage the lads to anticipate things like that, and Tyler did very well against Exeter.

"It's the sign of a good striker. If you have reactions like that then your tally will soon go up during the course of a season. Tyler is in a rich vein of form at the moment and we want that to continue."

ARGYLE'S St Luke's Challenge Cup second round tie away to Ivybridge, scheduled to be played last night, was postponed because of a waterlogged pitch at Erme Valley. No new date has been arranged.

Hodges on Harvey
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tyler Harvey- Kevin Hodges' view   Tyler Harvey- Kevin Hodges' view EmptyTue Oct 30, 2012 11:23 am

At 17, Wayne Rooney was scoring goals for Everton in the Premier League. Now, I'm not comparing Harvey to the spud-faced Granny botherer, but (cliche alert!) if you're good enough, you're old enough.

A seat on the bench from time to time - and I agree, Dorchester would be a good place to start - will do the lad's confidence good, get him a feel for match day with the first team, and who knows, he may grab an important goal or two coming off the bench. Everything I've seen and heard about this lad has been positive; let's see what he can do.
Back to top Go down
Flat_Track_Bully

Flat_Track_Bully

PostSubject: Re: Tyler Harvey- Kevin Hodges' view   Tyler Harvey- Kevin Hodges' view EmptyTue Oct 30, 2012 12:30 pm

I think it's pretty easy to get overexcited about a kid who has knocked in a few goals for the youth team. Unless he is genuinely close to breaking into the first team I wouldn't see much point in playing him against Dorchester. Firstly, given what happened last season in the FA Cup I would hope we wouldn't underestimate our opponents and think we can get away with playing some kids. Secondly if it does come to the point where we decide to give some less experienced players a run out, I'd rather we used one the strikers we already have signed up as professionals - like Lecointe, Sims or Vassell. They are the ones that should be challenging Chadwick and Feeney for a place on the bench in league matches, and therefore are the ones that could do with a game. There will be plenty of time in the future for Tyler Harvey to play for Argyle if he's good enough.
Back to top Go down
http://www.sciencebrainwaves.com/
GreenWhiteBlack

GreenWhiteBlack

PostSubject: Re: Tyler Harvey- Kevin Hodges' view   Tyler Harvey- Kevin Hodges' view EmptyTue Oct 30, 2012 6:44 pm

Give him a run out against Dorchester, deserves it and will only do him favours in the long run.
Back to top Go down
GreenSam

PostSubject: Re: Tyler Harvey- Kevin Hodges' view   Tyler Harvey- Kevin Hodges' view EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 3:39 am

Thing is...how much do we all really know about him besides that he's scored a lot for the youth team? I know the answer to that for me is zip all. I've heard he's a good player from people whose opinion I trust but I've not seen him play so feel to an extent I have to refrain from judgement. Maybe the step up to first team level isn't something he's ready for.

The purpose of me saying that isn't "look how clever I am" btw. Just that I'm not sure how much can be gained from a prolific youth team record to see whether doing it at League Two is doable. If he is, chuck him in but only if.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Tyler Harvey- Kevin Hodges' view   Tyler Harvey- Kevin Hodges' view EmptyWed Oct 31, 2012 8:38 am

In other words, come and get him before we tie him down. Nool way will either him or Walton be around next season, depressing.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Tyler Harvey- Kevin Hodges' view   Tyler Harvey- Kevin Hodges' view Empty

Back to top Go down

Tyler Harvey- Kevin Hodges' view
Page 1 of 1