26 posters
Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24, 25  Next
AuthorMessage
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

Fishing - Page 23 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing   Fishing - Page 23 EmptyTue Aug 02, 2022 10:16 am

Czarcasm wrote:
Ears, do you park at Cawsand and walk to Penlee? Or park in the car park (circled)?
Ain’t been that side in 30 years probably. Which is the best route down from that circled car park. I seem to remember we navigated a rope many moons ago but my memory is shot to pieces tbh.  scratch

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

You've circled the battery car park which you access by turning off left from the turning near Rame Church, when you take that left after about 100m or so there is a footpath marked on the right hand side by a layby this leads to the coast path where the rope goes down through a piece of woodland to the rocks which is a proper scramble.
From the battery car park you follow the path sort of straight ahead then bear to the right and follow the path down through some woods then through a kissing gate, across the field then follow the path down to St Adelaide's grotto and the actual point. Longer walk but a bit easier.
I cycled from Cawsands last time and took the Earls drive which goes through the woods from Cawsands car park above Piers Cellars to the point, easier but much longer you should see it on maps if you zoom in.
In fact it's marked in white on your map, you can't drive it but are allowed to walk it.
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

Fishing - Page 23 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing   Fishing - Page 23 EmptyTue Aug 02, 2022 10:26 am

seadog wrote:
Millbay is FULL of Mackerel with Scad underneath and on the bottom.

Thousands of the beauties.

Well in bhey ... that looks like the 16 I threw back Sunday morning Laughing
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

Fishing - Page 23 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing   Fishing - Page 23 EmptyTue Aug 02, 2022 10:32 am

Earwegoagain wrote:
Czarcasm wrote:
Ears, do you park at Cawsand and walk to Penlee? Or park in the car park (circled)?
Ain’t been that side in 30 years probably. Which is the best route down from that circled car park. I seem to remember we navigated a rope many moons ago but my memory is shot to pieces tbh.  scratch

You've circled the battery car park which you access by turning off left from the turning near Rame Church, when you take that left after about 100m or so there is a footpath marked on the right hand side by a layby this leads to the coast path where the rope goes down through a piece of woodland to the rocks which is a proper scramble.
From the battery car park you follow the path sort of straight ahead then bear to the right and follow the path down through some woods then through a kissing gate, across the field then follow the path down to St Adelaide's grotto and the actual point. Longer walk but a bit easier.
I cycled from Cawsands last time and took the Earls drive which goes through the woods from Cawsands car park above Piers Cellars to the point, easier but much longer you should see it on maps if you zoom in.
In fact it's marked in white on your map, you can't drive it but are allowed to walk it.

That's the route I took last time I fished there a couple years back, from the carpark down through the field and down to the grotto. I fished just to the right of it, still a bit of a hike on a hot summers day, especially on the way back up and after a blank lol.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

Fishing - Page 23 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing   Fishing - Page 23 EmptyTue Aug 02, 2022 10:36 am

Earwegoagain wrote:
Czarcasm wrote:

Cheers Ears. Yeah I do remember the rope route being a bit precarious. Not sure I’d fancy that route now with dodgy knees.
I may have a gander over that way later in the week. Thanks/OK
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

Fishing - Page 23 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing   Fishing - Page 23 EmptyTue Aug 02, 2022 1:59 pm

I've just seen a video of a tuna swimming around the barbican, unbelievable at the mo, all the macky drawing them in.
Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

Fishing - Page 23 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing   Fishing - Page 23 EmptyTue Aug 02, 2022 3:05 pm

Kinel!!
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

Fishing - Page 23 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing   Fishing - Page 23 EmptyTue Aug 02, 2022 4:04 pm

My mate said he was going to have a go for one in his kayak until a seven footer jumped clear out of the water near his boat one day and he said "fook that!"
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

Fishing - Page 23 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing   Fishing - Page 23 EmptyTue Aug 02, 2022 4:14 pm

Earwegoagain wrote:
My mate said he was going to have a go for one in his kayak until a seven footer jumped clear out of the water near his boat one day and he said "fook that!"

You'd need something heavier than a spinning/lure rod foreshore.
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

Fishing - Page 23 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing   Fishing - Page 23 EmptyTue Aug 02, 2022 5:59 pm

A woman has been bitten by a mysoginistic shark off Penzance!
Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

Fishing - Page 23 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing   Fishing - Page 23 EmptyTue Aug 02, 2022 11:17 pm

Albacore Tuna in King Point Marina yeasterday! FFS!

Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

Fishing - Page 23 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing   Fishing - Page 23 EmptyWed Aug 03, 2022 7:42 am

seadog wrote:

That's probably the video I saw yesterday, a few people claiming to have seen them in the muff.
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

Fishing - Page 23 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing   Fishing - Page 23 EmptyWed Aug 03, 2022 8:36 am

Les Miserable wrote:
seadog wrote:

That's probably the video I saw yesterday, a few people claiming to have seen them in the muff.

My bhey sent it to me, looked to be about five to ten pound, they would be great sport on a Bass setup.
Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

Fishing - Page 23 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing   Fishing - Page 23 EmptyWed Aug 03, 2022 10:04 pm

I need more line on me reels!
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

Fishing - Page 23 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing   Fishing - Page 23 EmptyThu Aug 04, 2022 11:28 am

seadog wrote:

I've been on the braid for a couple of years now, I think it's 32lb and it casts like 10lb mono and I get loads on a smaller reel, love the stuff
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

Fishing - Page 23 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing   Fishing - Page 23 EmptyThu Aug 04, 2022 12:46 pm

Earwegoagain wrote:
seadog wrote:

I've been on the braid for a couple of years now, I think it's 32lb and it casts like 10lb mono and I get loads on a smaller reel, love the stuff

Recently loaded a spool with 15lb braid. Gotta say I’m not a fan. Maybe 25 or 30lb would be better but the 15lb is too delicate for my ‘fingers and thumbs’, especially when trying to tie knots in a gale.

Had a lot of fun pulling in wrasse on a 10-30g rated lure rod this morning.

Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

Fishing - Page 23 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing   Fishing - Page 23 EmptyThu Aug 04, 2022 2:49 pm

Czarcasm wrote:
Earwegoagain wrote:
seadog wrote:

Recently loaded a spool with 15lb braid. Gotta say I’m not a fan. Maybe 25 or 30lb would be better but the 15lb is too delicate for my ‘fingers and thumbs’, especially when trying to tie knots in a gale.

Had a lot of fun pulling in wrasse on a 10-30g rated lure rod this morning.

With braid you need to think of line thickness rather than the breaking strain, I tried 22lb for salmon fishing and it kinked and twisted like a wanker, be careful with your knots as well my old knots slipped on braid I now use a Palomar knot, pass line thru eye of hook then make a loop alongside the mainline and pass the bitter end thru the loop four times (which must go around the mainline and the bitter end) and then pull tight. Hard to explain but I'm sure you'll find a diagram online.
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

Fishing - Page 23 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing   Fishing - Page 23 EmptyThu Aug 04, 2022 6:38 pm

Nice one Czar, I can't seem to temp a wrasse even though I know they are about where I mostly fish although I did lose a beast last year which went like a train and snapped my line or slipped the knot, suspect it was a big wrasse.

I've been using 18lb braid for the last 2 years and like it, better for distance casting and no stretch in it like mono so you feel every knock, it is very thin though so might increase size slightly on my next batch but it's strong stuff for the thin diameter.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

Fishing - Page 23 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing   Fishing - Page 23 EmptyThu Aug 04, 2022 9:06 pm

Yeah you do feel every knock I must admit with braid. I’ll maybe cut my losses and strip it off and replace with some thicker stuff.
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

Fishing - Page 23 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing   Fishing - Page 23 EmptyFri Aug 05, 2022 12:40 am

With the thinner stuff I had I left some on the spool as backing and stuck one hundred yards or sand on and a spool of new braid has 300m on it so doesn't work out too costly then just top it up off the spool again.
Went out this evening early plenty of Mackerel about but getting really fussy nipping and hooked and lost several, had three nice ones but worked hard for them, lots of Gannets but not many pitching in, might go a bit quiet as the weather settles imo.
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

Fishing - Page 23 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing   Fishing - Page 23 EmptyFri Aug 05, 2022 1:22 pm

Last night I was driving back across Whitsands bay and I noticed from Freathy what looked like the Scilly Isles? Can't say I've ever noticed them from there before, they are clearly visible from Cape Cornwall but it's a hell of a way further and can't say I've ever noticed them before?
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

Fishing - Page 23 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing   Fishing - Page 23 EmptySat Aug 06, 2022 2:10 pm

Earwegoagain wrote:
Last night I was driving back across Whitsands bay and I noticed from Freathy what looked like the Scilly Isles? Can't say I've ever noticed them from there before, they are clearly visible from Cape Cornwall but it's a hell of a way further and can't say I've ever noticed them before?

Looking at a map no way is it Scilly must have been the end of Lizard Point.
Off fishing this evening my mate saw a load of Bluefin chasing Mackerel last night.
Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

Fishing - Page 23 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing   Fishing - Page 23 EmptySun Aug 07, 2022 11:13 am

A couple of Mackerel last night in Poole Bay and a Schhooly alongside the ferry in Poole.
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

Fishing - Page 23 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing   Fishing - Page 23 EmptySun Aug 07, 2022 11:34 am

WTF is a schhooly?

Back in the days when I was an apprentice a schooly was a teenage girl in a school uniform.

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

Fishing - Page 23 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing   Fishing - Page 23 EmptySun Aug 07, 2022 1:12 pm

That's exactly what it is, she stroked his beard beside the ferry pirat
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

Fishing - Page 23 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing   Fishing - Page 23 EmptySun Aug 07, 2022 3:18 pm

Was out last night, absolutely zilch until the sun went down then plenty of Macky about, my mate had a decent sized Bass in the midday sun.
When I got down to Penlee there was a mahoosive bull seal who chased some bass on the reef I was going to fish and caught one against the rocks, good five pounder I would say, and lay on his back munching it, he then caught a conger which he ate very leisurely. His head was as big as a dustbin bleddy great thing but to be fair he left me alone although I can't help thinking he didn't help my odds.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Fishing - Page 23 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fishing   Fishing - Page 23 Empty

Back to top Go down

Fishing
Page 23 of 25Go to page : Previous  1 ... 13 ... 22, 23, 24, 25  Next