swampy
Chemical Ali
18 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage
tcm

tcm

Torquay are favorites  - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Torquay are favorites    Torquay are favorites  - Page 4 EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 2:23 pm

yeah i understand that view jock ,its just not mine, Very Happy had a great day out in torqauy,early start,good banter,avarage cider,cought up with a few people,pulled in a nice three day stonework job,(no iam not a gardener thats a hobbie Very Happy ),,went for a swim at teignmouth after that match,spent the night at my daughters on the lash with family,,,,iam still getting the same buz as i did all those years ago,,,,,,thats football for me,,,,,,happy days Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Torquay are favorites    Torquay are favorites  - Page 4 EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 2:48 pm

And that tcm is what seems to cause people to go into meltdown. I'm like you and enjoy the day out still. I don't have a flag and I don't always shout and bawl but I still want to go and enjoy what I do. But because of that somehow you have to have a name bestowed upon you as if there is something wrong with that attitude.

Like you I'm not interested in the politics of websites and who does what to whom. I don't do it and don't want to know people who do I just want my Saturday afternoon. I don't expect Brent or any owner to pay for this or that. I don't expect Argyle's manager to turn into Alex Ferguson. I don't expect players in this league to be super players. I hope for success and an Argyle win on a matchday and I want them to be promoted but I don't get all excited if they don't. It does seem that to have that thought process makes you some kind of plonker but if you are reasonably happy then why should this be a problem for others. After all it's not their money you are spending it's yours to do with as you like.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Torquay are favorites    Torquay are favorites  - Page 4 EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 2:53 pm

Sounds like a good day out. The thing is you would enjoy the day out whatever the score was, which does put you in a minority. Having said that maybe that's the way to look at life in general and in particular the football.

I can't stop wanting us to improve and move onwards and upwards though. Probably why I'm so grey at such an early age.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Torquay are favorites    Torquay are favorites  - Page 4 EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 2:56 pm

tcm wrote:
yeah i understand that view jock ,its just not mine, Very Happy had a great day out in torqauy,early start,good banter,avarage cider,cought up with a few people,pulled in a nice three day stonework job,(no iam not a gardener thats a hobbie Very Happy ),,went for a swim at teignmouth after that match,spent the night at my daughters on the lash with family,,,,iam still getting the same buz as i did all those years ago,,,,,,thats football for me,,,,,,happy days Very Happy

I can't argue with your outlook, in fact your footballing day out pretty much mirrors mine. I'm intrigued about your Wrathall connection tho'...

Do you live in one of his caravans and as so, are refusing to badmouth yer landlord? Wink

Back to top Go down
tcm

tcm

PostSubject: Re: Torquay are favorites    Torquay are favorites  - Page 4 EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 3:15 pm

Czarcasm wrote:
tcm wrote:

I can't argue with your outlook, in fact your footballing day out pretty much mirrors mine. I'm intrigued about your Wrathall connection tho'...

Do you live in one of his caravans and as so, are refusing to badmouth yer landlord? Wink

nothing intrigeing,,,grew up in the same town,(teignmouth),and along with the newton abbot boys used to run a coach to away games,,,everone forms opinions of people in life,and in my opinion tonnys one of the good guys,,,,,its not gona change opinion on here but hay thats not my job,,,,ive had some shit happen in my life so what do you do,,,if you look back all the time i think lifes gona be a bit of a struggle,,,so i try not to,,thats all,
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Torquay are favorites    Torquay are favorites  - Page 4 EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 3:18 pm

Greenjock wrote:
Sounds like a good day out. The thing is you would enjoy the day out whatever the score was, which does put you in a minority. Having said that maybe that's the way to look at life in general and in particular the football.

I can't stop wanting us to improve and move onwards and upwards though. Probably why I'm so grey at such an early age.

I share your view Jock.Can't understand this "we only go to football for the craic" stuff.Why pay £20 to go and watch a football match in the first place if a good time is the sole end game? Better to meet your mates in town or in the boozer and spend the dosh on making the craic even more of a craic,i'd have thought,but each to his own,i guess.TCM and SG certainly are in a minority [not that that's a problem,of course] in taking this view.First and foremost,Argyle must win in order to enjoy the day as far as i'm concerned and that would be the attitude of a goodly percentage of the football interested public in the area.Indeed,it could be argued that,on average, 10000 people have decided since 2005 that there are better places than HP to spend a saturday afternoon and i'm fairly sure that that figure has come about through indifferent results rather than any shortcomings in bonhomie.I'm not saying that TCM or SG are wrong,its their money and they can spend it exactly how they please,just rather hard to understand.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Torquay are favorites    Torquay are favorites  - Page 4 EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 3:37 pm

It really is each to their own Greenskin. Don't get me wrong though, if Argyle win then I'm a lot happier. If the football is good then I'm even happier. I want Argyle to do well and I want an owner who will give the Manager the means to do it. I do not want relegation out of the football league and I don't want some Board to screw Argyle into the ground like the last lot. It isn't about having a piss up for me so saving the £20 would not enhance my afternoon. I enjoy a couple of beers after the match, not before, and having a laugh and so on with company. Winning is not the be all to end all but it does help. Like tcm I'm not one for looking back. We are here and no amount of blaming and fretting is going to change anything. I prefer to look forward and despite the misgivings many have got I still believe Argyle will recover and return to a higher plain once more.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Torquay are favorites    Torquay are favorites  - Page 4 EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 4:23 pm

I look back and forward ... both are valuable. However the present is where it's at for those of us wanting a good day. Argyle's present is not the best presented by a long chalk, in fact I question if anyone is presenting anything at all.
Back to top Go down
Dougie

Dougie

PostSubject: Re: Torquay are favorites    Torquay are favorites  - Page 4 EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 4:40 pm

This going for the craic thing only gains any credence when we are rubbish or are in trouble. I can remember quite clearly John Lloyd writing about how Argyle for him had become a chance to meet friends and have a drink with watching Argyle just an appendage.

The reason it stuck in my mind was because he was the first to write and articulate that feeling during our recent struggles. Of course meeting your 'real' friends and going to games has since been an notion promoted by superfans to brow beat naysayers, those with contary views and generally those who don't think or do the same as them. Note how often they have to mention it as some kind of meme and how it is parroted by their clinger ons.

If we were any good, winning games, had players with the ability to excite and no forced atmosphere no one would think of Argyle games as some kind of bierfest that could only be enjoyed from the safety of a tarted up tent being amused by a couple of parochial jokes.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Torquay are favorites    Torquay are favorites  - Page 4 EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 5:18 pm

The thing is, Dougie, surely it's a case of each to their own. As it happens I enjoy the pre-match Freak Meets at the Cherry Tree - those that go along from this site are good company, the conversations are always interesting and there's plenty of laughs. It's as much part of my Saturday as £2 worth of 50/50 tickets, and reading the post-match moans on here.

If people want to go to Fansfests whats the harm? I enjoyed them too, 'til I was told I should watch my back if I was ever to attend one again (shortly after I started posting on here, you'll be surprised to hear) and so took the decision that, if that's how it's going to be, I'll find somewhere else for a pre match pint.

It depends on each individual - going to Argyle should be a social event, surely? A few beers, a bit of a laugh with mates, a game of football. Celebrate if we win, moan if we lose (although some prefer to reverse that order) and arrange to meet up again at the next game. Why some choose to make such a big issue of it baffles me.
Back to top Go down
Dougie

Dougie

PostSubject: Re: Torquay are favorites    Torquay are favorites  - Page 4 EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 5:58 pm

Agreed. Of course each to his own. The slightly strained OTT point I was making was that in good times it's a given a pasty a pint a chat with friends a game of football. It's only when we are performing badly either on or off the pitch that people go on about it to the point were the football is considered a distraction. And linked to that in Argyles particular case it's the going on about it and how it's used as a put down that is discombobulating.

To be honest in the words of Boris Johnson today I'll be happy when Argyles relative success is enough to ''route the doubters and scatterthe gloomsters'
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Torquay are favorites    Torquay are favorites  - Page 4 EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 6:02 pm

That comment about being prompted by the superfans is quite patronising. I have no contact and neither do I know any of these superfans and have a mind of my own without having to be told what to think. Despite it not being "in", I do and enjoy exactly what I said I do. No influence by anyone else. I also said I'm not interested in the politics of the websites either and I'm not. I cannot see what is so difficult to understand. Everyone is different and everyone sees things differently. People enjoy some things and others enjoy something completely different. It's diversity that makes the world go around. If you don't like what I like then fine don't do it. I don't have a problem with that.
Back to top Go down
Dougie

Dougie

PostSubject: Re: Torquay are favorites    Torquay are favorites  - Page 4 EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 6:14 pm

SG it should be obvious I'm not talking about you. But you don't have to look far for those who parrot said fans. You only have to look at the change your user name debacle on Pasoti to see that there are those who are easily and readily influenced.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Torquay are favorites    Torquay are favorites  - Page 4 EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 6:22 pm

The thing is Dougie that the 3 people who have commented on enjoying the match day are posting on ATD and not pasoti. I have no doubt there are plenty of people who don't post on either or any other but enjoy the day out. There are some people who like to be part of "the gang" and seen as being in with the in crowd and there always will be. To be fair there isn't anything wrong with that if it works for them. In the real world I suspect a lot of them are quite different although I do accept that some of the superfan crowd as you would call them are quite sad. Personally I don't do idolising of anyone but there are plenty of idols out there for others rightly or wrongly.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Torquay are favorites    Torquay are favorites  - Page 4 EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 6:30 pm

Dougie wrote:
This going for the craic thing only gains any credence when we are rubbish or are in trouble. I can remember quite clearly John Lloyd writing about how Argyle for him had become a chance to meet friends and have a drink with watching Argyle just an appendage.

The reason it stuck in my mind was because he was the first to write and articulate that feeling during our recent struggles. Of course meeting your 'real' friends and going to games has since been an notion promoted by superfans to brow beat naysayers, those with contary views and generally those who don't think or do the same as them. Note how often they have to mention it as some kind of meme and how it is parroted by their clinger ons.

If we were any good, winning games, had players with the ability to excite and no forced atmosphere no one would think of Argyle games as some kind of bierfest that could only be enjoyed from the safety of a tarted up tent being amused by a couple of parochial jokes.

You usually make good points Dougie, and the above is no exception. Many know the bishop nonsense and the negative effect it has had... the innocence has long gone.... John Lloyd was speaking sense regarding what has always been a taboo subject for fans and heresy in the eyes of the geeks.

Myself, I love tarted up tents in fields, and if Argyle want to try and mimic that sort of thing, why not. Not my scene at Home Park though, probably the wrong place for my sensibilities ... but it's a long overdue service for those fans that have been denied the opportunity, while the shirt and tie doffers have carried on right through the bad days and the Taylor report. Obviously they enjoy it, so why not.

Talking of the global soft spot for tarted up tents in fields, guess where myself and some pushbikes will be headed for tomorrow for the only half decent day of the week ........ here's a clue .....all along, down along, out along lea........drunken
Back to top Go down
Dougie

Dougie

PostSubject: Re: Torquay are favorites    Torquay are favorites  - Page 4 EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 6:49 pm

Far be it from me to denigrate the Fanfests were one can enjoy a pasty a pint and a robust exchange of passwords views
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Torquay are favorites    Torquay are favorites  - Page 4 EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 7:02 pm

Penzance wrote:
Dougie wrote:

You usually make good points Dougie, and the above is no exception. Many know the bishop nonsense and the negative effect it has had... the innocence has long gone.... John Lloyd was speaking sense regarding what has always been a taboo subject for fans and heresy in the eyes of the geeks.

Myself, I love tarted up tents in fields, and if Argyle want to try and mimic that sort of thing, why not. Not my scene at Home Park though, probably the wrong place for my sensibilities ... but it's a long overdue service for those fans that have been denied the opportunity, while the shirt and tie doffers have carried on right through the bad days and the Taylor report. Obviously they enjoy it, so why not.

Talking of the global soft spot for tarted up tents in fields, guess where myself and some pushbikes will be headed for tomorrow for the only half decent day of the week ........ here's a clue .....all along, down along, out along lea........drunken

South Australia?
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Torquay are favorites    Torquay are favorites  - Page 4 EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 7:25 pm

Sir Francis Drake wrote:
Penzance wrote:
Dougie wrote:

South Australia?

Leamington Spa?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Torquay are favorites    Torquay are favorites  - Page 4 EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 7:44 pm

You're such a wag, GS. clown
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Torquay are favorites    Torquay are favorites  - Page 4 EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 8:07 pm

Penzance wrote:
You're such a wag, GS. clown

Glad you appreciate me,Penz. Smile Presume it's Uncle Tom Cobley country tomorrow? Is it Widecombe fair or just a visit?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Torquay are favorites    Torquay are favorites  - Page 4 EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 8:25 pm

The fair. I've always thought the hardest thing in getting to these out of the way fairs is how to avoid the toll to park a car... what I call modern day Clovellyism.

£15 this year !! just to see a herd of sheep being seen to... still, cheaper than parking your bum at Argyle to watch hoof ball, and bunking in across the Two Moors Way is still encouraged......pedlars, peddlers and pedants are free from the tax ..... we're no turnips .... keeping it common Very Happy
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: Torquay are favorites    Torquay are favorites  - Page 4 EmptyMon Sep 10, 2012 9:48 pm

Penzance wrote:
Dougie wrote:

Windsor?

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Torquay are favorites    Torquay are favorites  - Page 4 EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 6:12 am

Your wife is a true GSG girl then mouldy.......of course..... that's why she's a Charlton fan.

PS.....come back BWP all is forgiven.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Torquay are favorites    Torquay are favorites  - Page 4 EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 9:30 am

ZYPH wrote:
Your wife is a true GSG girl then mouldy.......of course..... that's why she's a Charlton fan.

Now that is funny, maybe we could have a line of apologists that have told BWP, Noone, Mackie, SEB ect. that they were shit. Razz
(I'd even take Steve Adams back and Tony Capaldi, sorry I called you shit Tone. Embarassed )
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Torquay are favorites    Torquay are favorites  - Page 4 EmptyWed Sep 12, 2012 9:50 am

Iggy wrote:
ZYPH wrote:

Now that is funny, maybe we could have a line of apologists that have told BWP, Noone, Mackie, SEB ect. that they were shit. Razz
(I'd even take Steve Adams back and Tony Capaldi, sorry I called you shit Tone. Embarassed )

There aint nothing funny about our forwards compared with sick note Bradley....who scored more goals in half a season than any of them can ever dream about.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Torquay are favorites    Torquay are favorites  - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

Torquay are favorites
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4