Greenskin
pilgrim_pete
Chemical Ali
12 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Chemical Ali

McCormick Leaves Swindon Empty
PostSubject: McCormick Leaves Swindon   McCormick Leaves Swindon EmptyThu Aug 23, 2012 10:18 am

Looks like they were never going to offer him a full time playing contract but wanted him to help with their community department. He's exploring other opportunities.

Quote :
Luke McCormick: Swindon Town cut ties with goalkeeper

Swindon have ended their association with goalkeeper Luke McCormick.
The ex-Plymouth man has been training with Town to regain fitness following his release from prison.
McCormick was jailed in October 2008 for killing two children in a car crash, and served half of his four-year-and-seven-month sentence.
BBC Wiltshire has learned the 29-year-old has decided to leave the County Ground outfit to pursue other footballing opportunities.
McCormick's lack of match fitness
Luke McCormick has not played a competitive game in over four years, Plymouth's 1-0 Championship defeat by Wolves in May 2008

It is thought he was offered a chance to work with the youth team while embarking on a community project, but decided against the role.
McCormick admitted causing the deaths of Arron Peak, 10, and Ben Peak, eight, and driving with excess alcohol.
The brothers, from Greater Manchester, died in the crash on the M6 in Staffordshire on 7 June 2008.
McCormick was playing for Argyle at the time, and the club terminated his contract by mutual consent after he had been charged and bailed.
When it first emerged McCormick had been training with Swindon since January - while he was on day release - the club were quick to insist that no contract offer had been discussed, and they were merely helping him return to fitness.
Chairman Jeremy Wray said at the time: "He wants to come back and give something back to society. The best way we can do that is to rehabilitate, and that's the role Swindon can play."
But the parents of the victims voiced their anger about his return to the game, telling the Sun: "Swindon might be a family club, but now they're hiring a man who has torn my family apart."
Wray said a permanent deal would be out of the question if it "jeopardised the club's reputation".

BBC Report
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: McCormick Leaves Swindon   McCormick Leaves Swindon EmptyThu Aug 23, 2012 10:37 am

By far the best goalkeeper I have seen play for Argyle.

1. Luke McCormick
2. David Stockdale
3. Romain Larrieu
4. Jake Cole
5. David Button
6. Graham Stack

To be honest I think we have been blessed with good goalkeepers over the years, as none of those listed are that bad at all.

Also a big mention to Rab Douglas who was loaned to us for 1 match by Ian Holloway at Leciester, he played a blinder at Bristol City and we won 2 1
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: McCormick Leaves Swindon   McCormick Leaves Swindon EmptyThu Aug 23, 2012 10:43 am

Jim Furnell
Alan Miller
Paul Barron
Geoff thingy
that ex-Liverpool bloke
Milja Aleksic

I remember them all or at least I used to.
Back to top Go down
pilgrim_pete

PostSubject: Re: McCormick Leaves Swindon   McCormick Leaves Swindon EmptyThu Aug 23, 2012 10:43 am

Jake Cole better than Button?

McCormick better than Stockdale? By far?

Blimey.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: McCormick Leaves Swindon   McCormick Leaves Swindon EmptyThu Aug 23, 2012 12:37 pm

McCormick was a brilliant shot-stopper, but lacked the presence in the box of the very best keepers.

Alan Nicholls would be my choice of greatest keeper I've seen play for us. Such a character as well.

He played for the England U-21 team while at Home Park in the Toulon Tournament, but I think he had a bit of a mare during his only game.

He used to take the piss out of the away fans and really play up to the Lyndhurst End. He would join in chants and tease the opposition.

For two seasons I thought he was destined to play for a huge team and for England, and then he got injured and Warnock didn't seem to rate him. I think he was playing non-league football when he had the motorbike accident, and died still in his early twenties. His off-field antics were always in the news, non-stop partying must have taken their toll unfortunately.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: McCormick Leaves Swindon   McCormick Leaves Swindon EmptyThu Aug 23, 2012 12:48 pm

Pitbull wrote:
By far the best goalkeeper I have seen play for Argyle.

1. Luke McCormick
2. David Stockdale
3. Romain Larrieu
4. Jake Cole
5. David Button
6. Graham Stack

To be honest I think we have been blessed with good goalkeepers over the years, as none of those listed are that bad at all.

Also a big mention to Rab Douglas who was loaned to us for 1 match by Ian Holloway at Leciester, he played a blinder at Bristol City and we won 2 1

McCormick better then Stockdale?........BEHAVE
McCormick better then Button?............ BEHAVE

Also the late Alan Nichols, Rhys Wilmot and Alan Miller were all better keepers then McCormick in my opinion

Back to top Go down
Chemical Ali

PostSubject: Re: McCormick Leaves Swindon   McCormick Leaves Swindon EmptyThu Aug 23, 2012 5:34 pm

Stack has signed for Barnet today-

Stack
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: McCormick Leaves Swindon   McCormick Leaves Swindon EmptyThu Aug 23, 2012 5:36 pm

My list wasn't in order from best to worst, it was just a random list, every keeper on there is good
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: McCormick Leaves Swindon   McCormick Leaves Swindon EmptyThu Aug 23, 2012 6:05 pm

1.Nicky Hammond
2.Ray Newland
3.Dave Walter
4.James Dungey
5.Tony Burns
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: McCormick Leaves Swindon   McCormick Leaves Swindon EmptyThu Aug 23, 2012 6:21 pm

Greenskin wrote:
1.Nicky Hammond
2.Ray Newland
3.Dave Walter
4.James Dungey
5.Tony Burns
Now you're taking the pee.

I'd have to go for Alan Nicholls closely followed by Alan Miller.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: McCormick Leaves Swindon   McCormick Leaves Swindon EmptyThu Aug 23, 2012 6:22 pm

James Dungay???

I agree with greenjock for me it was Nicolls. We have been blessed with some very decent keepers over the years but he was very good at such a young age and it was a waste when he died. I am sure he would have gone on to play top flight football.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: McCormick Leaves Swindon   McCormick Leaves Swindon EmptyThu Aug 23, 2012 6:48 pm

Keepitgreen wrote:
Greenskin wrote:
1.Nicky Hammond
2.Ray Newland
3.Dave Walter
4.James Dungey
5.Tony Burns
Now you're taking the pee.
I'd have to go for Alan Nicholls closely followed by Alan Miller.

However did you guess? Shocked Better put a revised list in then,FWIW.

1.Paul Barron
2.Martin Hodge
3.Romain Larrieu
4.Jim Furnell
5.Geoff Crudgington

McCormack not in the picture,could name another 5 keepers better than him.

Back to top Go down
tcm

tcm

PostSubject: Re: McCormick Leaves Swindon   McCormick Leaves Swindon EmptyThu Aug 23, 2012 8:35 pm

good,,,stay out of the spot light,have respect ,take a low profile job,
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: McCormick Leaves Swindon   McCormick Leaves Swindon EmptyThu Aug 23, 2012 8:40 pm

tcm wrote:

Tcm, I think you are 100% spot on here.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: McCormick Leaves Swindon   McCormick Leaves Swindon EmptyThu Aug 23, 2012 11:48 pm

he is bound to get a club
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: McCormick Leaves Swindon   McCormick Leaves Swindon EmptyFri Aug 24, 2012 3:53 am

With ref to Alan Nicholls lets be honest guys the lad was a knob of the highest order.
Only got in the England U21 Squad off the back of a reference from Shilts and he blew it.
I remember reading an article by Jamie Redknapp who was also involved in that particular squad and they nicknamed Nicholls "No Brains" or something along those lines.
He was not the most popular amongst the Argyle squad either from what I have been told.

As for the best keeper I have seen at Argyle I would go with Alan Miller closely followed by Rhys Wilmot.

McCormick and Ro were probably the best No.1 and No.2 keepers Argyle have had on the books at one time.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: McCormick Leaves Swindon   McCormick Leaves Swindon EmptyFri Aug 24, 2012 8:40 am

The Red Star wrote:
tcm wrote:

Tcm, I think you are 100% spot on here.

I think he's spot on as well.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: McCormick Leaves Swindon   McCormick Leaves Swindon EmptyFri Aug 24, 2012 8:42 am

knecht wrote:
Jim Furnell
Alan Miller
Paul Barron
Geoff thingy
that ex-Liverpool bloke
Milja Aleksic

I remember them all or at least I used to.

This but with with Aleksic above Barron.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: McCormick Leaves Swindon   McCormick Leaves Swindon EmptyFri Aug 24, 2012 8:56 am

Unless Luke has bundles of cash tucked away, I think it's inevitable that he'll return to goalkeeping. The potential salary is just too good for him to ignore.

I wonder if he has an agent trying to scour the European leagues trying to tie something up for him. That would surely be the best option all round. Any club that takes him on in England will be opening themselves up to redicule, and rightly or wrongly, McCormick will be properly abused whereever he plays.

A fairly low profile club somewhere abroad wouldn't totally rid him of his awful legacy, but surely it's gotta be better for all concerned?

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: McCormick Leaves Swindon   McCormick Leaves Swindon EmptyFri Aug 24, 2012 9:14 am

Czarcasm wrote:
Unless Luke has bundles of cash tucked away, I think it's inevitable that he'll return to goalkeeping. The potential salary is just too good for him to ignore.

I wonder if he has an agent trying to scour the European leagues trying to tie something up for him. That would surely be the best option all round. Any club that takes him on in England will be opening themselves up to redicule, and rightly or wrongly, McCormick will be properly abused whereever he plays.

A fairly low profile club somewhere abroad wouldn't totally rid him of his awful legacy, but surely it's gotta be better for all concerned?

I hope you're right Cz, McCormick may have served his sentence but he'll never be able to pay for his crime, the best he can do is to stay out of the spotlight as Tcm put it and allow a little respect for the family concerned. I expect there's some slimy greedy agent attempting to persuade McCormick otherwise though.
Back to top Go down
Chingers

Chingers

PostSubject: Re: McCormick Leaves Swindon   McCormick Leaves Swindon EmptyFri Aug 24, 2012 11:01 am

Arch Stanton wrote:
With ref to Alan Nicholls lets be honest guys the lad was a knob of the highest order.
Only got in the England U21 Squad off the back of a reference from Shilts and he blew it.
I remember reading an article by Jamie Redknapp who was also involved in that particular squad and they nicknamed Nicholls "No Brains" or something along those lines.
He was not the most popular amongst the Argyle squad either from what I have been told.

As for the best keeper I have seen at Argyle I would go with Alan Miller closely followed by Rhys Wilmot.

McCormick and Ro were probably the best No.1 and No.2 keepers Argyle have had on the books at one time.

Seriously, who cares what Jamie Redknapp thinks? It was obvious to anyone who knew him that he wasn't the full penny but I saw him play many times and he was fantastic. Keepers aren't generally the most popular members of a squad and are often seen as outsiders and slightly crazy (well you'd have to be).
The man had a raw talent and need guidance and I'm not sure people like Shilton were the best people to have around him (at that time). The lad was a breath of fresh air for us fans and to call him a knob is a downright disgrace. Just my opinion like!
Back to top Go down
http://www.haleendafc.co.uk

PostSubject: Re: McCormick Leaves Swindon   McCormick Leaves Swindon EmptyFri Aug 24, 2012 11:25 am

Nichols was definitely better in goal than Redknapp, who is a bit of a bell-end himself fairly regularly.

Was my hero for his couple of seasons, great talent and a real shame he never realised his potential.
Back to top Go down
Chingers

Chingers

PostSubject: Re: McCormick Leaves Swindon   McCormick Leaves Swindon EmptyFri Aug 24, 2012 11:36 am

I remember when the press reported about him smoking and the crowd were shouting all sorts out to him about not skinning up with the grass. His response was to simulate a roll and puff. Loved the man and it makes me sad to hear people talking badly about him.
Back to top Go down
http://www.haleendafc.co.uk
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: McCormick Leaves Swindon   McCormick Leaves Swindon EmptyFri Aug 24, 2012 5:13 pm

I seem to remember a goalkeeper called Cherry. Was it Steve Cherry?

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: McCormick Leaves Swindon   McCormick Leaves Swindon EmptyFri Aug 24, 2012 5:15 pm

mouldyoldgoat wrote:
I seem to remember a goalkeeper called Cherry. Was it Steve Cherry?

Played for us twice, I think. He also played for Derby against us. Good keeper but he went moved the money was & who can blame him?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: McCormick Leaves Swindon   McCormick Leaves Swindon Empty

Back to top Go down

McCormick Leaves Swindon
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next