Greenskin
Thai green
Chemical Ali
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Coxside_Green

Argyle fail with transfer targets - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Argyle fail with transfer targets   Argyle fail with transfer targets - Page 3 EmptyThu Jul 05, 2012 10:58 pm

I always understood "competitive budget" meant competing at the the lower end of the scale. Brent was very complimentary about Torquay last season and their achievements on their limited resources, if they can do it then so can we seemed the obvious message.

That said, in a week where Williams signs a new contract and we sign an unnecessary 3rd keeper, something isn't adding up. Williams' offer should've been withdrawn (I'm being polite) when it became obvious he was hedging his bets. His wage and the wage of our new 3rd keeper would've surely ensured Fletch could've signed at least one of his 1st choice signings (assuming there were any). Keepers aren't difficult to loan in case of emergency and Bhasera isn't too shabby as a 1st choice LB, a back-up for Bhasera could've been found cheap enough towards the end of the window. So much for honesty, integrity blah blah blah.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle fail with transfer targets   Argyle fail with transfer targets - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 12:03 am

Flat_Track_Bully wrote:
Greenjock wrote:
Flat_Track_Bully wrote:
I think the 'overloaded' with strikers is a bit disingenuous. Although I think we actually have 6 if you include Vassell

Sims and Vassell are 18 and Lecointe is 17, so you wouldn't really expect them to be on significant wages. Similarly you wouldn't be budgeting for them to be making too many first team appearances. I suspect there would be attempts to loan Vassell and/or Sims out for the season anyway.

Please don't take this as directed at you FTB, but who the feck wants a couple of strikers not good enough for the 4th worst club in the country? Unless Dane Bowers wants them at Cullompton, I think we're stuck with them.

Vassell spent a bit of time at Truro last season, so they might want him back. Just like we might want to loan in a player who isn't yet good enough for the Championship, Conference South/North teams might be interested in loaning some of our young 'uns.

My post was a little bit tongue in cheek FTB.

So having a quick gander on Pasoti to see the reaction on there today, Chris sees this as good news? And is backed up by IJN, surprise surprise, and any dissenting voices are fed the line that Feeney is here for his spirit in the changing room! Now I don't know what his wage would be but whatever it is I reckon you could get Gazza down to cut the bottoms off of the players socks and wear a silly green wig before games, for half of Feeney's wage, now that he's fallen on hard times and has gone a bit cuckoo.

We also see that now Chadwick will be palmed off whenever we can get someone who wants a crocked, mid 30's less than prolific striker who will flatter to deceive for the first few games to earn a contract, and then spend half of the remainder of his contract out injured.

We don't know how good PCH will be, but he has joined from a side 2 leagues below us, and we're a pile of steaming shite. Even if he turns out to be pretty decent, what if he gets injured?

The "competetive budget" and "targetting success" lines were spun to give hope and sell more memberships. Anyone waivering about shelling out a fair bit of money to see the same squad as last year, but with an extra goalkeeper, must be thinking there are other things that they could be doing with their cash in this recession.

Yes I am being negative, and am exiled so wouldn't be buying a full membership, but what about the people who are getting grief from their partners about money being tight and what could they cut out or do without, and it's a choice between Argyle and doing away with Sky Sports, or the new shed and Argyle?

What Mr Brent is saying and what Carl Fletcher is saying doesn't seem to have come from the same hymn sheet. And it looks to me as though CF is already making excuses so that he doesn't look the idiot when we're not running away with the league at Christmas. "It's not my fault ya know. My hands are tied financially"
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Argyle fail with transfer targets   Argyle fail with transfer targets - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 9:41 am

SufferedSince68 wrote:
Can't compete with teams in the fourth division on wages, i don't blame fletcher for that sad state of affairs i blame the superfans for being taken in by brent and persuading the simple farm folk to part with their hard earned to watch another season of sub standard shite.

You know the score SS68.........

Regards, SS58 aka Tringy.

To be fair to them, Noolie and Where's Webby did tell everyone that there would not be any walleted directors and what a wonderful opportunity WE had to be involved in the running [paying for] of the club.

Makes you proud doesn't it ? ....... the fans who wouldn't learn, fobbed off by titles and silly hats........... Aviva til the end.
Back to top Go down
Chemical Ali

PostSubject: Re: Argyle fail with transfer targets   Argyle fail with transfer targets - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 10:15 am

Exeter sign another midfielder (Tommy Doherty) - that's 2 in 2 days!!!
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

PostSubject: Re: Argyle fail with transfer targets   Argyle fail with transfer targets - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 10:31 am

Tommy Doherty's shit, mind.

Slow, immobile and has a beard.

Will run rings around Walton.
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: Argyle fail with transfer targets   Argyle fail with transfer targets - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 11:40 am

Sad thing is not even another season being bottom 2 in L2 will shake the brent lovers out of their 'saviour' worshipping stupor...."eee saved us so at least we got a club to support". At least under *****wallet we headed in the right direction for a while (due to the appointment of very good managers) until he got greedy. Under brent there is no hope whatsoever of getting off the bottom of L2. No cash for players and sticking by a crap manager.

BRENT OUT NOW!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
PlymptonPilgrim
Admin
PlymptonPilgrim

PostSubject: Re: Argyle fail with transfer targets   Argyle fail with transfer targets - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 11:56 am

Was anyone actually expecting us to sign any half decent players in pre-season? I don't believe for one minute there is a 'competitive' budget for this league - that's just spin to encourage us all worshipping fans to buy our season tickets or memberships or whatever they are these days.

There will be enough money to keep us in this division - no more, no less.

Oh, and enough for a big flag or two, probably.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle fail with transfer targets   Argyle fail with transfer targets - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 12:23 pm

If anyone wants to get arsey about the shit squad and manager we've got, they should remember that we almost didn't have a club. Aviva 'till I die, we've got a flag, pasties for all.

Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Argyle fail with transfer targets   Argyle fail with transfer targets - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 12:40 pm

Bogsider wrote:
If anyone wants to get arsey about the shit squad and manager we've got, they should remember that we almost didn't have a club. Aviva 'till I die, we've got a flag, pasties for all.

If yer naaaaaat goin Fleetwood, youuuum naaaaaat a praaaaaper faaaan.

Minsk would be a long old poke.......... [You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Back to top Go down
Nick

Nick

PostSubject: Re: Argyle fail with transfer targets   Argyle fail with transfer targets - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 3:33 pm

Not kept up with the goings-on at HP for a while. To be honest I wish I hadn't checked back in. The crushing inevitability of it all!

Might go back to staring at weekend weather forecasts in the Wiltshire area for the next month...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle fail with transfer targets   Argyle fail with transfer targets - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 3:45 pm

Bogsider wrote:

Maybe people should also remember that one of the reasons why we very nearly didn't have a club was because so many star struck wannabee car park space permit holders were tongue smooching Stapleton's lower intestine at the time!

Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: Argyle fail with transfer targets   Argyle fail with transfer targets - Page 3 EmptyFri Jul 06, 2012 4:08 pm

Bogsider wrote:

Southampton almost didn't have a club a few short years back and now they're in the Prem.

Clearly, the brent lovers will still be trotting out this tedeous line when we're propping up L2 at Christmas. The PAFC nightmare continues completely unabated.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle fail with transfer targets   Argyle fail with transfer targets - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 11:07 am

Freathy wrote:
Bogsider wrote:

Southampton almost didn't have a club a few short years back and now they're in the Prem.

Clearly, the brent lovers will still be trotting out this tedeous line when we're propping up L2 at Christmas. The PAFC nightmare continues completely unabated.

Look, if we spent any money on the club that would be CHEATING. It's great that we have an owner who doesn't give a shit about the footballing side of his property ambitions, because REAL fans can get mugged.... Sorry play a part in its future.

Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

PostSubject: Re: Argyle fail with transfer targets   Argyle fail with transfer targets - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 5:11 pm

Well we will have a new nice big 6' 5" goalie to keep those nasty goals out of our net and we will have plenty of clean sheets - which is nice. Oh I forgot we will need to score goals to win games also, ah we may have a problem there, still "the lads always work their socks off".
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle fail with transfer targets   Argyle fail with transfer targets - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 5:19 pm

The Green Taverners have done up the dressing rooms and there is a new Forza Verde mural under the Demport! All is not lost bheys!

When does the best Shithouse in Npower Div 4 competition start again?
Back to top Go down
Elias

Elias

PostSubject: Re: Argyle fail with transfer targets   Argyle fail with transfer targets - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 5:42 pm

charity begins at Home park.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle fail with transfer targets   Argyle fail with transfer targets - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 6:06 pm

akagreengull wrote:
Well we will have a new nice big 6' 5" goalie to keep those nasty goals out of our net and we will have plenty of clean sheets - which is nice. Oh I forgot we will need to score goals to win games also, ah we may have a problem there, still "the lads always work their socks off".

Our nice big goalie could come up for corners......if we get many.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle fail with transfer targets   Argyle fail with transfer targets - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 6:29 pm

Arch Stanton wrote:
The Green Taverners have done up the dressing rooms and there is a new Forza Verde mural under the Demport! All is not lost bheys!

When does the best Shithouse in Npower Div 4 competition start again?

We were shit in that too.
Back to top Go down
Dougie

Dougie

PostSubject: Re: Argyle fail with transfer targets   Argyle fail with transfer targets - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 6:54 pm

Has that mural actually been done. Don't mean to sound melodramatic but it feels like desecration. It's a group and a player that have only been round for a year.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle fail with transfer targets   Argyle fail with transfer targets - Page 3 EmptySat Jul 07, 2012 7:18 pm

Dougie wrote:
Has that mural actually been done. Don't mean to sound melodramatic but it feels like desecration. It's a group and a player that have only been round for a year.

Its all been done Dougie. In fairness whoever Webb commissioned to do the job is a very talented artist, Purse and Wotton in full battle cry! I believe it comes with complimentary FV1886 prayer mats jocolor
Back to top Go down
merse

PostSubject: Re: Argyle fail with transfer targets   Argyle fail with transfer targets - Page 3 EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 2:48 pm

[quote="Chemical Ali"]Story on BBC Website-

Quote :
Plymouth Argyle manager Carl Fletcher says the club has missed out on transfer targets because they cannot afford their wages.

That's rubbish and indicative of an incompetent management................if a club can't afford the wages of a player they enquire about then those players shouldn't even be targets. I wonder how much James Brent's ignorance of football matters is behind this?

His naivity has already lumbered his club with a rookie manager in a situation that demands experience and as Martin Ling at Torquay could tell him, the most important attribute a League 2 manager needs is a contact book of gargantuan proportions.

Exactly who are these players who Fletcher is supposedly attempting to sign? Are they players who would do a job at League 2 level or are they fringe players at bigger clubs who are on silly money in comparison to the sort of opposition to be encountered in League 2.

The other factor that Brent seems to be completely missing is the credibility factor of his manager when compared with his rival just down the road............in short, players sign for managers and managers who will enhance their personal prospects. Don't expect a quality footballer like Eunan O'Kane or Thomas Cruise to sign for a manager who plays a type of football that is anathaema to his style. Similarly don't expect top clubs to offer quality development players on loan if you play shit football. So if Brent is thinking along the lines of "if Torquay can do it............" he wants to work out why Torquay can do it.

Yet again, Plymouth Argyle will be hamstrung by amateur organisation and a failure to smell the coffee!

Last edited by merse on Mon Jul 09, 2012 2:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Argyle fail with transfer targets   Argyle fail with transfer targets - Page 3 EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 3:23 pm

[quote="merse"]
Chemical Ali wrote:
Story on BBC Website-

Quote :
Plymouth Argyle manager Carl Fletcher says the club has missed out on transfer targets because they cannot afford their wages.

That's rubbish and indicative of an incompetent management................if a club can't afford the wages of a player they enquire about then those players shouldn't even be targets. I wonder how much James Brent's ignorance of football matters is behind this?

His naivity has already lumbered his club with a rookie manager in a situation that demands experience and as Martin Ling at Torquay could tell him, the most important attribute a League 2 manager needs is a contact book of gargantuan proportions.

Exactly who are these players who Fletcher is supposedly attempting to sign? Are they players who would do a job at League 2 level or are they fringe players at bigger clubs who are on silly money in comparison to the sort of opposition to be encountered in League 2.

The other factor that Brent seems to be completely missing is the credibility factor of his manager when compared with his rival just down the road............in short, players sign for managers and managers who will enhance their personal prospects. Don't expect a quality footballer like Eunan O'Kane or Thomas Cruise to sign for a manager who plays a type of football that is anathaema to his style. Similarly don't expect top clubs to offer quality development players on loan if you play shit football. So if Brent is thinking along the lines of "if Torquay can do it............" he wants to work out why Torquay can do it.

Yet again, Plymouth Argyle will be hamstrung by amateur organisation and a failure to smell the coffee!

Sad but predictably true. We do however have big flags, superfans of limited intellect, low cunning and a drum.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle fail with transfer targets   Argyle fail with transfer targets - Page 3 EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 3:40 pm

and a mural,dont forget the mural.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Argyle fail with transfer targets   Argyle fail with transfer targets - Page 3 EmptyMon Jul 09, 2012 4:18 pm

[quote="Tringreen"]
merse wrote:
Chemical Ali wrote:
Story on BBC Website-

Quote :

Sad but predictably true. We do however have big flags, superfans of limited intellect, low cunning and a drum.

So with that theory, we should get some West Ham fringe players on loan, given Fletchers association with them and Big Sam's love of the long ball game.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Argyle fail with transfer targets   Argyle fail with transfer targets - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Argyle fail with transfer targets
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3