fridgey
Freathy
Tgwu
Greenskin
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4
AuthorMessage

It's imminent....... - Page 4 Empty
PostSubject: Re: It's imminent.......   It's imminent....... - Page 4 EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 6:06 pm

There's only 6-7,000 Argyle fans, we don't need the Grandstand or the Barn Park End. Level it and build student accommodation.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: It's imminent.......   It's imminent....... - Page 4 EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 6:11 pm

I don't get this argument that if you disagree with somebodies opinion on a topic that you are dismissed as "you just don't get it". Don't get what exactly? The other persons alternative view or there is some fact burried in there somewhere that is being missed. It is not a debate to simply imply the other person is thick.

Personally I can't see much wrong with the size of stadium proposed. You could argue that it is a fact that the capacity can be increased if required and the 3 sides were built with that in mind. The reason why stadia are mechano constructions nowadays is that it can be altered and added to. Why would anyone doubt the intention to increase capacity if the need arose? Just because the ground was not completed under a different Board when it was more or less promised does not mean it would not be increased in the future. Seems to me it depends which camp you want to sit in. If you are of the negative camp then pretty much whatever Brent promised would be doubted. If you are in the opposite camp then you will believe the man's word. Neither side knows if they are right currently as the proposition hasn't arrived to be a kept promise or broken one.

The other thing I don't quite get is the "show ambition" bit. How exactly does building something you don't currently require improve the chances of the club filling it? It is one thing to show ambition but slightly more difficult to achieve the ambition in reality. As far as I'm aware the size of a stadium has no bearing whatsoever on chances of success unless you have a bum on every seat at all matches.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: It's imminent.......   It's imminent....... - Page 4 EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 7:13 pm

Whilst it is feasible to extend and increase the size of the 3 stands I believe it is not economical and it would be more cost effective to demolish & rebuild the 3 sides. Hence concern regarding the grandstand.

Should we ever require a stadium with an over 18,000 capacity it would be very unlikely to be built without s sustained life in the Premier to pay for it.

We are but a small club and it'll always be that way with these agendas, maybe James would like to state that in his next propaganda press release.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: It's imminent.......   It's imminent....... - Page 4 EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 7:25 pm

Why do you believe it is not economical GOB? Do you have a precident to show it isn't or figures at hand. I don't necessarily doubt it would be but as I have no knowledge of costs involved for either I cannot know this. Most clubs seem to build this type of stadium these days if they get a new one. Why would they do this if the extension would be so cost negative to increase. This isn't just a Plymouth construction type so are you saying that all the other clubs have no ambition so it never mattered anyway as well.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: It's imminent.......   It's imminent....... - Page 4 EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 7:36 pm

Of course I have no evidence to show but then this isn't a court. I remember it being discussed at the time of building the first 3 stands and I can think of dozens of stadiums throughout the country that have demolished and then rebuilt rather than extend, it's nearly always the cheapest option.

FWIW, I believe (again no evidence) that the original 3 stands life span is 40 years, we're over 25% of its life span now.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: It's imminent.......   It's imminent....... - Page 4 EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 7:42 pm

Bit touchy there GOB. I don't remember asking you in a lawyer type question. I said I don't know and asked what you were basing your opinion on is all. I was not aware that other clubs had demolished as I don't take any interest in other clubs much. Was it too expensive to increase the size from existing or did those clubs want better anyway?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: It's imminent.......   It's imminent....... - Page 4 EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 7:53 pm

I have no idea SG but I doubt there will be many that have actually extended stands. As I have said, the lifespan of such a thing doesn't warrant it unless there's a sudden run of success to the top straight after building a stand that was built with the genuine intention of extending it in the short term.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: It's imminent.......   It's imminent....... - Page 4 EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 8:19 pm

Captain Spudgun wrote:
Yeah Reading pack em in don't they? Their ground isn't huge, just modern!!!!

I'm pretty sure it holds more than 20k though, you know just in case something monumental happens like promotion? Always handy to have the extra seats just in case.

If Brents paying to build a new grandstand, giving us 20k maximum, would it make economical sense to make it bigger now rather than expand if needed in the future? Honest question, I don't know if it's much more that's all. Would at least show some ambition too. Don't see any at the moment from him. We're telling the football world we're a selling club, cheers boss advertise we'll take any offer going, and our possible big summer signing is Robbie fuckin Williams.

Pre season friendlies are just around the corner so our new signings will need a short while to adapt to our total football style.

My fiver each way on us at 25-1 is looking almost as good as my Russia bet now.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: It's imminent.......   It's imminent....... - Page 4 EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 10:16 pm

Where exactly does the lack of an extra 5000 seats that we can't fill anytime soon tell the rest of the footballing world we either lack ambition or are a selling club jock? It says to me that Argyle are building something more than is required at the moment and anytime soon. If we went on a promotion run what would we genuinely get up to Championship level in terms of numbers. 16 to 18000 at best. There would still be a bit of room for extras to come. If it was a playoff final place match then it would be bursting or maybe if it was the final promotion game but apart from that history does not show that 20000 would be too small. I just cannot see the evidence for a bigger ground. Exactly how would our chances of improving and being promoted be enhanced by more seats?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: It's imminent.......   It's imminent....... - Page 4 EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 10:22 pm

I meant Brents interview where he said we were a selling club, and the fact that we're signing nobody at the moment. That along with not using this opportunity to have a decent sized stadium smacks to me of lack of ambition.

If Brent wants to sell the club in future, the only asset we have is the players, but a decent stadium that could be bought back off the council is a big asset.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: It's imminent.......   It's imminent....... - Page 4 EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 10:34 pm

To quote the ATD oft used put down line.....sorry I just can't see it. I've obviously gone far too village and aviva for my own good. Where can I get a big flag by the way?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: It's imminent.......   It's imminent....... - Page 4 EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 10:42 pm

Poland are not using their flag now, try there.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: It's imminent.......   It's imminent....... - Page 4 EmptySun Jun 17, 2012 10:50 pm

Typical of you GOB, no ambition. I believe the Russians have a bigger one they aren't using. That's the trouble with Argyle people, always think too small.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: It's imminent.......   It's imminent....... - Page 4 Empty

Back to top Go down

It's imminent.......
Page 4 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4