Tgwu
Greenskin
22 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
Freathy

Freathy

It's imminent....... - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: It's imminent.......   It's imminent....... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 04, 2012 11:57 am

I think the grandstand entrance facade should be mock tudor, like Pompey's.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: It's imminent.......   It's imminent....... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 04, 2012 12:39 pm

fridgey wrote:
Freathy wrote:

You just don't get it

Maybe I don't. But I think having come out of the most awful period in Argyle history only the terminally unhappy could complain about new stadium proposals. Yes, its far less than I'd like, and 30000 would seem to be a very sensible figure if we were a top CCC club pushing for the Premiership. I for one will be happy for the new stadium with the option to expand again. Compared to the outlook last year that seems to be a good starting point, of course we can always wait for the mystery billionaire to come in and invest, oh btw we're awash with them down this way aren't we? Oh way we could always go down the road a foreign sugar daddies but the question would always be why on earth would someone without the connections to the city want to invest in us.

So until the mystery nutter with millions to spunk on Argyle comes.....

Ah yes,the old "mysterious billionaire" mantra.Wouldn't take a billionaire at all,just a competent and adequate consortium,whose motives could either be to make money or genuinely wish to develop a premiership football club.As for reasons why people would want to invest in Argyle,how about a catchment area containing 1.8 million people and a ground which is an area with effectively unlimiited scope for growth size wise? And i'll pre-empt what i think could be one of your points in reply-why has this consortium never appeared before? Maybe because it's never been looked for in a professional and dispassionate way,rather than on an amateurish and "nod and a wink" basis.
Back to top Go down
gasser9

PostSubject: Re: It's imminent.......   It's imminent....... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 04, 2012 2:21 pm

Greenskin wrote:
fridgey wrote:
Freathy wrote:

You just don't get it

Maybe I don't. But I think having come out of the most awful period in Argyle history only the terminally unhappy could complain about new stadium proposals. Yes, its far less than I'd like, and 30000 would seem to be a very sensible figure if we were a top CCC club pushing for the Premiership. I for one will be happy for the new stadium with the option to expand again. Compared to the outlook last year that seems to be a good starting point, of course we can always wait for the mystery billionaire to come in and invest, oh btw we're awash with them down this way aren't we? Oh way we could always go down the road a foreign sugar daddies but the question would always be why on earth would someone without the connections to the city want to invest in us.

Ah yes,the old "mysterious billionaire" mantra.Wouldn't take a billionaire at all,just a competent and adequate consortium,whose motives could either be to make money or genuinely wish to develop a premiership football club.As for reasons why people would want to invest in Argyle,how about a catchment area containing 1.8 million people and a ground which is an area with effectively unlimiited scope for growth size wise? And i'll pre-empt what i think could be one of your points in reply-why has this consortium never appeared before? Maybe because it's never been looked for in a professional and dispassionate way,rather than on an amateurish and "nod and a wink" basis.

Well there you have it.
Nobody has looked at Argyle in the past 50 years in a professional and dispassionate way.
Jeez wouldn't you think in 50 years someone might have just done that but then again I am one of those who just don't get it.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: It's imminent.......   It's imminent....... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 04, 2012 2:37 pm

gasser9 wrote:
Greenskin wrote:
fridgey wrote:
Freathy wrote:

You just don't get it

Well there you have it.
Nobody has looked at Argyle in the past 50 years in a professional and dispassionate way.
Jeez wouldn't you think in 50 years someone might have just done that but then again I am one of those who just don't get it.

Jesus wept,its like talking to a retarded farmyard duck.Read more carefully and inwardly digest;

it's never been looked for in a professional and dispassionate way

For,not in.Crucial difference to the sentence meaning.

Back to top Go down
125+1

125+1

PostSubject: Re: It's imminent.......   It's imminent....... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 04, 2012 3:13 pm

My responce to this is how many times in the last 15 years have we had more then 20k through the gates!!!!!!!!!!!

The corners of the ground are the cheapest to develope so makes sense to do that at a later stage, those moaning about the size are the same ones critisizing the lack of atmosphere at Home park, well 7k in a 20k stadium is bad enough.

someone made a good point in the fact that when we were in the championship we had 18k average crowds, and that was for one season before the crowds started to shrink. a 20k stadium is big enough for Argyle.

Some people just continue to moan for the sake of moaning.

But the again, We have not been saved.

Ask Darlington what the would rather have.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: It's imminent.......   It's imminent....... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 04, 2012 3:32 pm

ah but..the season before we could have had 30000 in for the QPR game,similarly a good cup run or indeed a premier home tie,and the capacity of 20000 could easily be exceeded.
Back to top Go down
fridgey

fridgey

PostSubject: Re: It's imminent.......   It's imminent....... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 04, 2012 3:36 pm

Greenskin wrote:
fridgey wrote:
Freathy wrote:

You just don't get it

Well there's a statement. Serious investment has not been professionally sort. Now of course neither of us know that for a fact and the reason could just as easily be that those types of consortiums just aren't around.
Back to top Go down
Grovehill

PostSubject: Re: It's imminent.......   It's imminent....... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 04, 2012 4:07 pm

Unless Argyle get promotion at the first attempt (which currently looks unlikely) I'd be surprised if Hotel Man is still on the scene at the start of the 2014 season.
Back to top Go down
Coxside_Green

PostSubject: Re: It's imminent.......   It's imminent....... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 04, 2012 4:40 pm

I'm encouraged the new stand and 20k capacity excludes the corners so maybe there is still some hope before the build goes ahead. If Brent, the supporters, PCC, The Trust etc can all get together then maybe there's a way the corners can be rebuilt the same time?.

Failing that, I fear the new stand will just leave us with an incomplete stadium which will hinder rather than see us make progress (should we ever return to the 2nd tier). One of the things that has always kept me going with Argo was it's potential, new supporters wont have that luxury.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: It's imminent.......   It's imminent....... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 04, 2012 5:26 pm

To support ANYTHING, anyone needs to feel there is health in abundance given the planet facing the right way. Sadly, Argyle have felt anything but that since the freehold was purchased.
Todd continued the decline by closing the Mayflower far too early for his own reasons, Ridsdale carried on the shrinkage, and now Brent is too football dumb to realise the affect permanently closing part of the Lyndhurst has on all aspects of a football club. IT JUST FEELS BAD AND IN DECLINE. A half measure stand, that is in effect just the back wall of 'his' arena will do nothing for the malaise that sits over the club, along with it's medium and long term debts nailed down by the previous owners.
Players are no different than fans, if new prospects come a viewing and feel an air of downsize and on the cheap, they'll steer clear. There's no hiding the buddlea growing out of the corners. The whole world is a village and we can all spot a diseased plant being given a cheap shot of potash to no good effect. Typical Plymouth, and it looks like our hotel man is typical also.
Love the Mock Tudor, Freathy ... says it all lol! .. no doubt he'll be there on opening day.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: It's imminent.......   It's imminent....... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 04, 2012 6:22 pm

Im pleased to hear some positive news at long last with regards to the Grandstand and agree that 20k capacity is more then adequate for our needs as the long road back to the Championship is going to take longer then I suspect our "Aviva" fans seem to think.
However can someone please explain the need for an "International Ice Rink" being incorporated as part of the development? I just dont get it at all! Surely that is a white elephant in the making of the highest order! And if Argyle are on a slice of any profit coming from that facility I cant see the Club making a lot out of it at all.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: It's imminent.......   It's imminent....... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 04, 2012 6:28 pm

fridgey wrote:
Greenskin wrote:
fridgey wrote:
Freathy wrote:

You just don't get it

Well there's a statement. Serious investment has not been professionally sort. Now of course neither of us know that for a fact and the reason could just as easily be that those types of consortiums just aren't around.

But i do know it for a fact.Phil Gill said as much in his valedictory statement in relation to the japanese take over.Not to mention Guilfoyle stating in public that the club did not have to be marketed because Ridsdale and Hinchcliffe had already done the work.And does the phrase "other plans are in place" and the resignation of Jones,Foot and Warren from the Argyle board ring any bells at all?
Back to top Go down
Charlie Wood

Charlie Wood

PostSubject: Re: It's imminent.......   It's imminent....... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 04, 2012 6:35 pm

tcm wrote:
totally predictable responce from atd users Sleep

Err, um...aren't you an ATD user, Mike, or have I missed something.

I suggest you try to debate the point instead of asking everybody else what they would do.
Back to top Go down
fridgey

fridgey

PostSubject: Re: It's imminent.......   It's imminent....... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 04, 2012 7:55 pm

Greenskin wrote:

But i do know it for a fact.Phil Gill said as much in his valedictory statement in relation to the japanese take over.Not to mention Guilfoyle stating in public that the club did not have to be marketed because Ridsdale and Hinchcliffe had already done the work.And does the phrase "other plans are in place" and the resignation of Jones,Foot and Warren from the Argyle board ring any bells at all?

With respect, it is not a fact that these consortiums exist. Its a fact that messers Gill, Jones, Foot and Warren had issues with the board at the time. There may well have been other interested parties around in 2005/6 but they sure as hell weren't around last year when the shit hit the fan. Who knows what may of happened if they had taken over, fwiw I feel with some more investment in Ollies team we could of made a very serious go of the Championship. People say all manner of things in the political maneuverings of a football clubs ownership, wasn't Michael Knighton going to take Carlisle to the Premiership?
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: It's imminent.......   It's imminent....... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 04, 2012 7:58 pm

fridgey wrote:
Greenskin wrote:

With respect, it is not a fact that these consortiums exist. Its a fact that messers Gill, Jones, Foot and Warren had issues with the board at the time. There may well have been other interested parties around in 2005/6 but they sure as hell weren't around last year when the shit hit the fan. Who knows what may of happened if they had taken over, fwiw I feel with some more investment in Ollies team we could of made a very serious go of the Championship. People say all manner of things in the political maneuverings of a football clubs ownership, wasn't Michael Knighton going to take Carlisle to the Premiership?

Without wishing to dredge up old issues,i think Plympton Pilgrim will confirm that a consortium most definitely did exist and that Peter Jones was a part of it.
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: It's imminent.......   It's imminent....... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 04, 2012 8:25 pm

I must admit that I would like the ground capacity to be a bit bigger, say 25,000 without the side bits done. Maybe they could be developed into executive boxes, media centre and function rooms. Just a thought.

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: It's imminent.......   It's imminent....... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 04, 2012 8:26 pm

Greenskin wrote:
fridgey wrote:
Greenskin wrote:

Without wishing to dredge up old issues,i think Plympton Pilgrim will confirm that a consortium most definitely did exist and that Peter Jones was a part of it.

You're wasting your time here. The *****wallet lovers are even denying the existence of the London Consortium now FFS. They hate this inconvenient fact that their beloved *****wallet turned down this offer of proper investment at a crucial time as he infamously had "other plans in place".

*****wallet fans now have the team and club they fully deserve.
Back to top Go down
fridgey

fridgey

PostSubject: Re: It's imminent.......   It's imminent....... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 04, 2012 8:52 pm

Ok well I do believe a consortium existed but as a matter of interest how much was the London consortium willing to put in? I assume that it must of been a shed load and details of that investment was made known?
Of course one consortium does not constitue a que of buyers does it. So are you now saying we missed our opportunity back then and we now up the creak or are you aware of more of them.
Back to top Go down
Coxside_Green

PostSubject: Re: It's imminent.......   It's imminent....... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 04, 2012 9:01 pm

fridgey wrote:
Ok well I do believe a consortium existed but as a matter of interest how much was the London consortium willing to put in? I assume that it must of been a shed load and details of that investment was made known?
Of course one consortium does not constitue a que of buyers does it. So are you now saying we missed our opportunity back then and we now up the creak or are you aware of more of them.

Details of investment were made known but everything got hushed up. Stapleton and his board were only interested in their own individual shareholdings, didn't give a flying one about the supporters. The end result was Stapleton and his board wouldn't talk and went on to make their £2m from Japan. The rest is history. It's comical, do you laugh about it?
Back to top Go down
JonB

JonB

PostSubject: Re: It's imminent.......   It's imminent....... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 04, 2012 11:07 pm

pepsipete wrote:
tcm wrote:
Freathy wrote:
tcm wrote:
totally predictable responce from atd users Sleep

And a totally predictable response from a pasoti user jocolor
go on then frothy,lets have your vision,how would you do it?, geek

I would leave the stadium for now, spend money on the team to climb back up the leagues, worry about the stadium when we are back in the championship.

I think that the two are entwined...

I had the opportunity to ask JB (the other) some time ago about this - he used Exeter Chiefs as an example.

They are returning around £1000,000 profit per year from their ancillary facilities - JB said to me that he aspires to build similar facilities, 'only a bit better'.

Peripheral income can easily outstrip traditional match day income, if we get it right.

This, arguably, is the foundation we need to allow for sustainable, successful spending on the team.

Jon
Back to top Go down
http://www.grumpypig.co.uk
Coxside_Green

PostSubject: Re: It's imminent.......   It's imminent....... - Page 2 EmptyMon Jun 04, 2012 11:32 pm

I'm assuming the new stand will be owned by PCC. PAFC will gain through having a lower crowd capacity than say 30 years ago, an era we couldn't compete. What else can janners do?
Back to top Go down
fridgey

fridgey

PostSubject: Re: It's imminent.......   It's imminent....... - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 05, 2012 12:43 am

Coxside_Green wrote:
fridgey wrote:

Details of investment were made known but everything got hushed up. Stapleton and his board were only interested in their own individual shareholdings, didn't give a flying one about the supporters. The end result was Stapleton and his board wouldn't talk and went on to make their £2m from Japan. The rest is history. It's comical, do you laugh about it?

Yes mate, my house pretty much stinks on urine 24/7 from me wetting myself over Argyles plight.
Stapleton totally and utterly bollocksed it up, of that there can be no doubt, the people who may or may not have taken over may or may not of been a huge success (see how many may or may nots there are there) Anyway, back to now, are you saying we should at least give Brent a go?
Back to top Go down
swampy

PostSubject: Re: It's imminent.......   It's imminent....... - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 05, 2012 6:40 am

Mock Cuncher wrote:
No-one wants 46k.

But 20k is too small.
We have had what, 5 or 6 20,000 plus league gates in the past 35 years or so if that and a few cup games? So why is 20,000 too small especially if the corners can be filled in to add another 3 to 5,000 at a future date IF we ever need it. Wouldn't the hundreds of thousands of pounds or more needed to add that extra seating be better spent in other areas at this stage. like getting the team to be an established Championship team maybe needing a little more capacity?
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: It's imminent.......   It's imminent....... - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 05, 2012 7:06 am

swampy wrote:
Mock Cuncher wrote:
No-one wants 46k.

But 20k is too small.
We have had what, 5 or 6 20,000 plus league gates in the past 35 years or so if that and a few cup games? So why is 20,000 too small especially if the corners can be filled in to add another 3 to 5,000 at a future date IF we ever need it. Wouldn't the hundreds of thousands of pounds or more needed to add that extra seating be better spent in other areas at this stage. like getting the team to be an established Championship team maybe needing a little more capacity?

There's no such thing as an established championship team, particularly for clubs with no modern day top flight exposure.

If all you aspire to is 2nd tier comfort, your best staff will be picked off, what fanbase you have will wither and decline becomes inevitable.

Argyle 'could' enjoy similar support to the likes of Norwich and Southampton but it will now take appropriate investment at crucial stages and a bit of luck.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: It's imminent.......   It's imminent....... - Page 2 EmptyTue Jun 05, 2012 7:07 am

swampy wrote:
Mock Cuncher wrote:
No-one wants 46k.

But 20k is too small.

Swampy, the hope is that we will do considerably better in the next 20 years then we have in the past 20 years. Designing a stadium based on crowd sizes of the past 20 years doesn't fill me with enthusiasm for Brent's ambition, it only adds to my cynicism to expect more of what we've had over the past 20 years and that has mainly consisted of dismal failure.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: It's imminent.......   It's imminent....... - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

It's imminent.......
Page 2 of 4Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next