The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Schumacher outlines focus for international break

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Angry

Angry

Schumacher outlines focus for international break Empty
PostSubject: Schumacher outlines focus for international break   Schumacher outlines focus for international break EmptyTue Nov 14, 2023 11:35 am

Best put in extra training cause to get 4-3-3 over enough to produce regular results in order to get us to 50 points to stay up which i think is the target this season we really need it as its not working for us. Strange how when we played our formation from last season that sparked our best run of results. if schuey is going to die on this hill that we must play this despite it not working hes going to have to make some decisions before January as to who needs to move on and who he needs to bring in on top of the striker and defender that we need now so it does work better.

Herald Article Link

The Link wrote:
Steven Schumacher will be working with his Plymouth Argyle players during the current international break to continue getting better at playing in a 4-3-3 formation.

The Pilgrims' squad have been given some time off following the 2-1 defeat away to Championship high-fliers Leeds United at Elland Road on Saturday but when they return to training there will be a clear plan for them.

Schumacher's focus in the last international break in October was on Argyle becoming 'more aggressive in the middle of the park' and 'more streetwise', which he believes they have gone on to achieve.

This time there will be attention paid to the set up and playing style before they return to Championship action against sixth-placed Sunderland at Home Park on
Schumacher adopted the 4-3-3 formation for the start of this season after promotion from League One and, generally, he has stuck to it.

The Pilgrims' boss did send his side out in a 3-4-3 system against Leeds, in large part to try to contain the attacking threat of the likes of Crysencio Summerville, but United were 2-0 up inside the opening half-an-hour and in complete control.

It was only after Schumacher made a double substitution in the 57th minute and reverted to a 4-3-3 formation that Argyle were able to work their way into the game.

Substitute Ben Waine grabbed a late goal for the visitors and even though they were still beaten Schumacher took encouragement from their improvement against such strong opposition. The aim is to now build on that during the current international break.

He said: "My focus will be on keep trying to get better because I think we are doing really well. When we changed back to our usual shape against Leeds, when we went 4-3-3, we looked a real threat.

"I want to keep getting better at that. Obviously, it's still new to us, but there was really positive signs from it on Saturday. We felt we needed to go to a back three because of the threats Leeds have got. If you give Summerville space on the pitch he can hurt you.

"I think we dealt with him pretty well. I know he set the second goal up. That was okay, but we have to go back in the next two weeks and keep working on what we believe in, and how we want to play.

"When we did go to it (the 4-3-3 formation) we have caused a top team in Leeds real problems when we are positive, so that's what we will try to do."

Argyle also need to work at cutting out defensive errors that have been proving costly for them as picking up points has become hard for them. Both of the goals scored against them by Leeds came after the Pilgrims gave up possession deep inside their own half.

Schumacher said: "We spoke in the last international break about what we needed to work on and what areas we think we can get better. I felt we needed to be more aggressive in the middle of the park and be a little bit more streetwise.

"I feel as though in the last five games we have definitely done that. We haven't been easy to play against, far from it, but we have made too many errors in this last block (of fixtures).

"We are finding out if you do make mistakes at this level every team has got top players, individuals who can punish you. We need to concentrate, we need to get better at the technical side of things.

"Sometimes it's a poor pass or a poor touch that's costing us. I think Leeds were a bit quicker than us, we have got to expect that, these teams are going to close you down.

"They are not going to give you that time to do what you want with it, so cut out the errors and I think then we will be able to change these tight games around.

efited to add

i put this in the wrong area sorry lol jocolor
Back to top Go down

Schumacher outlines focus for international break
Page 1 of 1