Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic

The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

When did you all shift to becoming a sustainable League One club?

Go down 
+5
Freathy
Grovehill
seadog
Rickler
Coxside_Green
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
Rickler

Rickler

When did you all shift to becoming a sustainable League One club? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: When did you all shift to becoming a sustainable League One club?   When did you all shift to becoming a sustainable League One club? - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 09, 2023 10:35 pm

Lol...  "1000's locked out".

The new mantra.

A complete lie and total bollox of course, but hey...  Who cares.  It's what CG feels, so it must be true!

Sad times we live in.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

When did you all shift to becoming a sustainable League One club? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: When did you all shift to becoming a sustainable League One club?   When did you all shift to becoming a sustainable League One club? - Page 3 EmptyFri Jun 09, 2023 11:30 pm

What is key in the sustainability stakes, is quite how we intend to reach it - financially.

For me, it is quite clear that relying on, firstly, Shuey sticking around, and secondly, him pulling rabbits from hats to over-achieve in terms of league position….quite  simply ain’t…erm…sustainable. It may work out for a season or two, but it would eventually be a house of cards scenario.

So, the only way I can see us being able to compete with a reasonable chance season after season at this level, is for Hallett to either (a) do a u-turn on his decision not to inject any more funds into the club, or (b) persuade the minority shareholders or other investors to stump up the necessary funds to make us competitive year on year in the 2nd tier.

It’s a difficult one, because a big majority in this league have owners who are prepared to put money in that they know they’re unlikely to recoup. Bristol City are the perfect example. Steve Lansdown has put in (and written off) tens of millions, purely to tread water.

I hope Hallett has a plan. What’s he’s overseen with two promotions in four years in incredibly good - probably the most successful period in my Argyle supporting life, which is why I give him the credit and the slack he deserves.

But it gets so much harder from here on in.
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: When did you all shift to becoming a sustainable League One club?   When did you all shift to becoming a sustainable League One club? - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 10, 2023 7:56 am

Hallett's version of sustainable is living within our comparatively meagre means and hopefully remaining in the Championship despite the small budget through having a good manager and being clever/lucky with the transfer market and loans.   Don't think that will won't work in the Championship anywhere near like it did in L1.
Back to top Go down
Graiser

Graiser

PostSubject: Re: When did you all shift to becoming a sustainable League One club?   When did you all shift to becoming a sustainable League One club? - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 10, 2023 8:20 am

Some clubs have thrown millions at it for years without the success they expected, good management is clearly one of the keys which is what we have at the moment.
Too many want it now and we know what can happen with that scenario, build upwards not downwards.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: When did you all shift to becoming a sustainable League One club?   When did you all shift to becoming a sustainable League One club? - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 10, 2023 11:14 am

Graiser wrote:
Some clubs have thrown millions at it for years without the success they expected, good management is clearly one of the keys which is what we have at the moment.
Too many want it now and we know what can happen with that scenario, build upwards not downwards.

lol! I've wanted it since 1964 [although a mere puppy in that respect compared to your good self i suspect].
Back to top Go down
Graiser

Graiser

PostSubject: Re: When did you all shift to becoming a sustainable League One club?   When did you all shift to becoming a sustainable League One club? - Page 3 EmptySat Jun 10, 2023 2:07 pm

Greenskin wrote:
Graiser wrote:

lol! I've wanted it since 1964 [although a mere puppy in that respect compared to your good self i suspect].

60/61 season for me, sometimes I yearn for the times pre social media when the Erald printed actual news rather than copying whatever’s the flavour on social media.
Queuing up on Saturday evening’s for the Football Erald for Argyle’s report was exciting, now it just seems to be doom and gloom clickbait, but that’s the modern world we now have to live in.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: When did you all shift to becoming a sustainable League One club?   When did you all shift to becoming a sustainable League One club? - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

When did you all shift to becoming a sustainable League One club?
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3