The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Ennis close to being ready to start games

Go down 
AuthorMessage
Jethro

Jethro

Ennis close to being ready to start games Empty
PostSubject: Ennis close to being ready to start games   Ennis close to being ready to start games EmptyWed Dec 22, 2021 1:26 am

Fit-again striker Niall Ennis is close to being ready to start games again for Plymouth Argyle, manager Steven Schumacher has admitted.

Ennis has made four substitute appearances since returning to action following a long-term hamstring injury.

The 22-year-old came off the bench in the 77th minute of the 1-0 League One win against Charlton Athletic at Home Park on Saturday to replace goalscorer Kieran Agard.

Schumacher said: "It's great to have him back. Niall is one of the best characters and young players that I have worked with.

"He's such a nice lad and everybody wants him to do well. Just to have him back in and around the first team squad is great with the energy that he brings.

"I would probably say he isn't too far away from being considered for a start. Like all of the lads who have had long-term injuries it's important that they get some games.

"We had a bit of an in-house game (last Wednesday) that he played some minutes in and he looked sharp.

"He would probably say he's not up to his optimal yet but that's understandable. The same with James Bolton, the same with George Cooper.

"While the other strikers are all fit and available then there is no need to rush Niall Ennis."

Schumacher said: "With the injury that he had, and the type of player that Niall is - he's an explosive player, we just need to make sure that he's durable and he doesn't have a recurrence of that injury.

"We don't want to lose him for any longer, but he has been training a while now. The medical department have done a good job with him.

"He looks sharp enough, he's running well. He probably just needs to get the rustiness out of his game and get back to the Niall Ennis that we know and love."

Ennis was the pick of Argyle's strikers in pre-season and was named in the starting line-up for the League One opener at Rotherham United on August 7.

However, he suffered a freak injury in the warm up which not only ruled him out of that match but the next four months.

Ennis said: "To sum it up - it's football. There is high and lows and I'm back now. I can't dwell in the past, only look forward.

"I want to help the team to get to where we know we can get, so it's about me getting my sharpness back and hopefully getting goals and points."

Ennis explained what had happened to him during the warm-up at Rotherham's New York Stadium.

"It was just a shot really, a freak incident," he said. "I have been with the physios and worked hard trying to get myself back, so I would like to thank them for getting me back on the pitch.

"It's just about working hard now, getting myself back in the team and doing what I know I can."

Ennis added: "It was my hamstring tendon. There is worse injuries in football. I tried to not think too negative. All I had to do was listen to the physios and get back.

"I was injured, I couldn't control it and it was just about being that positive vibe around the players and helping them get the results, which I felt was doing.

"Now I'm back fit I need to do the same if I'm not starting because it's a team game. Every player is going to be needed."

link
Back to top Go down

Ennis close to being ready to start games
Page 1 of 1