Rickler
seadog
Grovehill
10 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Grovehill

Bury player suspended for doping offence Empty
PostSubject: Bury player suspended for doping offence   Bury player suspended for doping offence EmptySat Mar 21, 2020 3:48 pm

Just seen on BBC sports news that Bury FC had a player suspended for twelve months from January 2019 after failing a UK Anti-Doping test.

Wording seems to point to performance enhancing rather than recreational.

Obviously RL was Manager at the time so it doesn't look good for him. Thoughts anyone?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bury player suspended for doping offence   Bury player suspended for doping offence EmptySat Mar 21, 2020 3:57 pm

some people go fishing by a lake but some also go fishing online.
Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

PostSubject: Re: Bury player suspended for doping offence   Bury player suspended for doping offence EmptySat Mar 21, 2020 6:59 pm

The seagulls follow the trawler..................
Back to top Go down
Rickler

Rickler

PostSubject: Re: Bury player suspended for doping offence   Bury player suspended for doping offence EmptySat Mar 21, 2020 10:00 pm

Grovehill wrote:

Obviously RL was Manager at the time so it doesn't look good for him. Thoughts anyone?

My first thought is that for some strange reason, you will take any, and every little opportunity, to stick it to Lowe.

My second thought is that it reflects on Lowe about as much as Luke McCormick's DUI Fatality reflected on Sturrock - barely, if anything at all?
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: Bury player suspended for doping offence   Bury player suspended for doping offence EmptySat Mar 21, 2020 10:50 pm

He was looking for a reaction.

Grovehill you're a prick.

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

PostSubject: Re: Bury player suspended for doping offence   Bury player suspended for doping offence EmptySun Mar 22, 2020 8:47 am

Fail to see the relevance of this thread.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bury player suspended for doping offence   Bury player suspended for doping offence EmptySun Mar 22, 2020 10:39 am

i think its groovy's way of saying lowe is a dirty scouser and should be living 24/7 in plymouth and sign a 20 year contract.
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: Bury player suspended for doping offence   Bury player suspended for doping offence EmptySun Mar 22, 2020 11:00 am

He used to be a pretty good poster but he’s now just a wum and not very good at it.

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down
RegGreen

PostSubject: Re: Bury player suspended for doping offence   Bury player suspended for doping offence EmptySun Mar 22, 2020 11:47 am

I’m not one of lowes biggest fans but I don’t think you can stick that one on Lowe grovey unless the whole team was bang on it
Back to top Go down
Grovehill

PostSubject: Re: Bury player suspended for doping offence   Bury player suspended for doping offence EmptyTue Mar 24, 2020 9:51 am

I'm the same as I've always been-a person who will challenge the norm.

Do I think the Manager of Plymouth Argyle should have his permanent  family home in the Plymouth area?

Yes, because  A) it shows commitment to both the Cub and the region, and B) I want the players to show that same commitment, and the Manager should lead by example.

To have a Manager and several players not residing in the area, shows a disrespect to the Club and the area, as well as a distinct impression of "waiting for something better/local to come up."

Do I think RL is a good Manager? it's certainly early days as he has only been a Manager for a couple of years. I certainly think he has a lot to learn in terms of how best to use the players at his disposal, (tactics should fit the players not vice versa) player recruitment (certainly seems predisposed to sticking with players he knows and even that has gone wrong a couple of times) and what he says (which is at times embarrassing) He is also yet to demonstrate any ability (or even a wish) to improve the Club long term by either player recruitment or other means.

As he is the most senior of the ex Bury FC management team, still involved in football, I would have expected at least some comment from him about one of his ex-players suffering a 12 month ban for (possibly performance enhancing) doping offences. Was the player sacked? What checks (if any) were in place to monitor players social or other drug use, etc.etc. I find RL's unusual silence on this a little unsettling. He was, after all, the players' Manager at the time of the offence!

I know my views may not fit in with the current love fest for all things Ryan Lowe, but I can remember when Dan Macauley, Paul Stapleton, Paul Sturrock, Kagamisan, James Brent and so on, where each in their time viewed as true Home Park heroes.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bury player suspended for doping offence   Bury player suspended for doping offence EmptyTue Mar 24, 2020 10:01 am

are you a xenophobe? yes

does it matter ?? no#

should you get a life? yes

are you a shit troll? absolutely
Back to top Go down
Grovehill

PostSubject: Re: Bury player suspended for doping offence   Bury player suspended for doping offence EmptyTue Mar 24, 2020 5:03 pm

I posted the above before seeing a copy of today's WMN where various quotes from a Sky Sports programme are attributed to Ryan Lowe.

These refer mainly to his reluctance to complete the season on a "behind closed doors" basis and the apparent likelihood (in his opinion) that he may have "four or five" players go down with injuries when full training recommences.

Now, is this official PAFC policy that they will not want to play behind closed doors in order to complete what may be a promotion season? And as Manager, presumably RL is and will be in charge of training, so why will it result in injuries to 20% of the playing staff.

To me, these ill considered comments reinforce my earlier concerns about his public statements often being ill advised and his inexperience in (man) management.

As well as giving players an "excuse to fail" if game do go ahead behind closed doors, I do have to wonder why he felt the need to speak publicly at all-does he need the extra money?

In response to Angry, I would point out (again) that xenophobia is an illogical dislike of a particular (or any race) which having worked in a multi cultural environment for over 20 years, I do not believe I suffer from. (BTW my mother was born and bought up in Liverpool)

I also believe that expressing a minority view is not correctly referred to as "trolling"

I express a different viewpoint to a lot of people on this site (and will continue to do so) but isn't that the point of an "independent" forum.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bury player suspended for doping offence   Bury player suspended for doping offence EmptyTue Mar 24, 2020 5:17 pm

Grovehill wrote:
I posted the above before seeing a copy of today's WMN where various quotes from a Sky Sports programme are attributed to Ryan Lowe.

These refer mainly to his reluctance to complete the season on a "behind closed doors" basis and the apparent likelihood (in his opinion) that he may have "four or five" players go down with injuries when full training recommences.

Now, is this official PAFC policy that they will not want to play behind closed doors in order to complete what may be a promotion season? And as Manager, presumably RL is and will be in charge of training, so why will it result in injuries to 20% of the playing staff.

To me, these ill considered comments reinforce my earlier concerns about his public statements often being ill advised and his inexperience in (man) management.

As well as giving players an "excuse to fail" if game do go ahead behind closed doors, I do have to wonder why he felt the need to speak publicly at all-does he need the extra money?

In response to Angry, I would point out (again) that xenophobia  is an illogical dislike of a particular (or any race) which having worked in a multi cultural environment for over 20 years, I do not believe I suffer from. (BTW my mother was born and bought up in Liverpool)

I also believe that expressing a minority view is not correctly referred to as "trolling"

I express a different viewpoint to a lot of people on this site (and will continue to do so) but isn't that the point of an "independent" forum.

you seem to have a hatred of anyone who isnt from or doesnt live in plymouth...... case closed.
Back to top Go down
Grovehill

PostSubject: Re: Bury player suspended for doping offence   Bury player suspended for doping offence EmptyTue Mar 24, 2020 7:09 pm

Angry wrote:
Grovehill wrote:

In response to Angry, I would point out (again) that xenophobia  is an illogical dislike of a particular (or any race) which having worked in a multi cultural environment for over 20 years, I do not believe I suffer from. (BTW my mother was born and bought up in Liverpool)

you seem to have a hatred of anyone who isnt from or doesnt live in plymouth...... case closed.

WTF????

Do you even read my posts?

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bury player suspended for doping offence   Bury player suspended for doping offence EmptyTue Mar 24, 2020 7:50 pm

Grovehill wrote:
Angry wrote:
Grovehill wrote:

WTF????

Do you even read my posts?

yes and even the mother bit but your passion towards where ryan is from and lives doesnt cover up your views on outsiders despite not being a pure blood.
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Bury player suspended for doping offence   Bury player suspended for doping offence EmptyWed Mar 25, 2020 7:03 am

Whoaa there. Grovey might be a miserable git and that's his pejorative. It's a free speech site though. I personally think that Grovey lets his hatred of Lowe obscure the achievements he's made in spite of "only being the manager for a couple of years" or as its known in the trade as long serving. If we were third from bottom you could understand why he'd be looking for a reason for our poor performances but when we are third from top (?) it just looks a bit sour grapes IMO.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bury player suspended for doping offence   Bury player suspended for doping offence EmptyWed Mar 25, 2020 9:05 am

Earwegoagain wrote:
Whoaa there. Grovey might be a miserable git and that's his pejorative. It's a free speech site though. I personally think that Grovey lets his hatred of Lowe obscure the achievements he's made in spite of "only being the manager for a couple of years" or as its known in the trade as long serving. If we were third from bottom you could understand why he'd be looking for a reason for our poor performances but when we are third from top (?) it just looks a bit sour grapes IMO.

true, free speech doesnt mean he is right to continue beating the agenda of where a manager lives and nothing else. its not his buisness where anyone lives only the job they do. He cant get that and this thread of him trying to link a drug offence as something lowe was responsible is just pathetic really.
Back to top Go down
Grovehill

PostSubject: Re: Bury player suspended for doping offence   Bury player suspended for doping offence EmptyWed Mar 25, 2020 9:28 am

THE MAYFLOWER

Have your say on all things Plymouth Argyle. We welcome fair and open debate here when it comes to our Club

Is where the Club's Manager chooses to live a fair question for debate? In my opinion , yes, especially when previous managers have either cited the Club's location as a drawback to signing players or have insisted that all signings relocate to the area.

Is what the Manager says in public a fair topic for debate? Yes, because he is identified as the Manager of and is speaking about Argyle.

Are events at his previous club relevant to his current job? Yes, insofar as they may point to how he may deal with similar situations in the future.

Would it have been too much for him to issue a short statement along the lines of "Club totally unaware of player's drug use....dismissed for gross misconduct" as Luggy and PAFC rightly did in the McCormick case.

Last edited by Grovehill on Wed Mar 25, 2020 9:56 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bury player suspended for doping offence   Bury player suspended for doping offence EmptyWed Mar 25, 2020 9:43 am

Grovehill wrote:
THE MAYFLOWER

Have your say on all things Plymouth Argyle. We welcome fair and open debate when it comes to our Club

whats fair and open about your agenda? its fair and open to say your talking shite and you reply
Back to top Go down
Grovehill

PostSubject: Re: Bury player suspended for doping offence   Bury player suspended for doping offence EmptyWed Mar 25, 2020 10:00 am

Thank you for your usual considered and well thought out reply. Never have I come across a more apt username.

We have different views, I suggest you accept it.
Back to top Go down
PlymptonPilgrim
Admin
PlymptonPilgrim

PostSubject: Re: Bury player suspended for doping offence   Bury player suspended for doping offence EmptyWed Mar 25, 2020 11:53 am

Grovehill wrote:
THE MAYFLOWER

Have your say on all things Plymouth Argyle. We welcome fair and open debate here when it comes to our Club

Is where the Club's Manager chooses to live a fair question for debate? In my opinion , yes, especially when previous managers have either cited the Club's location as a drawback to signing players or have insisted that all signings relocate to the area.

Is what the Manager says in public a fair topic for debate? Yes, because he is identified as the Manager of and is speaking about Argyle.

Are events at his previous club relevant to his current job? Yes, insofar as they may point to how he may deal with similar situations in the future.

Would it have been too much for him to issue a short statement along the lines of "Club totally unaware of player's drug use....dismissed for gross misconduct"  as Luggy and PAFC rightly did in the McCormick case.

I don't understand your obsession with a Manager having to live in the City where he works. It's a very old fashioned viewpoint. The world is a much smaller place than it once was, and commuting long distances is common place these days - I did it between Plymouth and Brussels, it didn't affect how I carried out my job. Neither is it affecting how Lowe does his job, which I would suggest, is the most important criteria.

There are many more factors to take into account, his family may want to stay where they are, forcing them to move down against their will may lead to disharmony, affecting in turn, his performance.

His boss is clearly satisfied with it, the players clearly don't have a problem with it, Lowe and his staff don't have a problem with it.

As for it being a sign of intent that he means to stay here, football is a transient business, and who can guarantee what will happen in two/three years time. Success may encourage him to stay and complete the project, and it may attract a bigger club who will tempt him with a massive contract. That, I'm afraid is football, as it is in many other walks of life.

As for what he says to the media, people can choose to take it as they want. But rather than pick out quotes, it's probably better to listen to the whole interview and understand the context in which the comments were made.

What happened at Bury a few years ago has absolutely no relevance to what is going on at Home Park at the moment, neither is it relatable to the McCormick case, which was an entirely different set of circumstances which affected the club at that time.

As you may have guessed, I think Lowe is doing a fine job at the moment, and for the first time for a number of years there is a sense of optimism around the place. Long may it continue.

Back to top Go down
Rickler

Rickler

PostSubject: Re: Bury player suspended for doping offence   Bury player suspended for doping offence EmptyWed Mar 25, 2020 5:09 pm

The crazy thing about Grovehills argument is that Lowe currently does live in Plymouth. A point that Grovey steadfastly refuses to recognise. Frankly, it's pathetic.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bury player suspended for doping offence   Bury player suspended for doping offence EmptyWed Mar 25, 2020 5:40 pm

The other thing is that a league 2 Managers average tenure is 18 months. I know historically we aren't particularly trigger happy as it's a massive bugger to get them here in the first place, but I don't see why Lowe is attracting the grief he is getting in some quarters
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bury player suspended for doping offence   Bury player suspended for doping offence EmptyWed Mar 25, 2020 8:16 pm

Rickler wrote:
The crazy thing about Grovehills argument is that Lowe currently does live in Plymouth.  A point that Grovey steadfastly refuses to recognise.  Frankly, it's pathetic.

So does Schumacher and all his family
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Bury player suspended for doping offence   Bury player suspended for doping offence EmptyWed Mar 25, 2020 8:47 pm

Graiser wrote:
Rickler wrote:
The crazy thing about Grovehills argument is that Lowe currently does live in Plymouth.  A point that Grovey steadfastly refuses to recognise.  Frankly, it's pathetic.

So does Schumacher and all his family

exactly so why groovy seems to think they dont or cause they may go home now and again after away days is mystery.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Bury player suspended for doping offence   Bury player suspended for doping offence Empty

Back to top Go down

Bury player suspended for doping offence
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next