Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic

The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

James brent declares DA is still the best manager for Argo!

Go down 
+12
TheDuke
PatDunne
Freathy
Sir Francis Drake
Grovehill
Old Timer
seadog
Punchdrunk
sufferedsince 68
akagreengull
Jethro
harvetheslayer
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage

James brent declares DA is still the best manager for Argo! Empty
PostSubject: James brent declares DA is still the best manager for Argo!   James brent declares DA is still the best manager for Argo! EmptyMon Oct 15, 2018 4:28 pm

C&P'd from the Erald to avoid those fecking click-bait pop-ups...................

James Brent declares Derek Adams is still the best manager for Plymouth Argyle
The Pilgrims are languishing at the bottom of League One with seven points from 13 games

James Brent believes there is no-one better than Derek Adams to lead Plymouth Argyle out of their current predicament at the bottom of League One.

Brent, who will step down as the Pilgrims’ chairman at the end of the month but remain as a director, admitted the season had not gone as expected.

Argyle have picked up only seven points from their first 13 league games and Adams, even after the success he has had at Home Park since his appointment as manager in 2015, has come under fire from some fans.

Brent remains convinced that Adams will turn Argyle’s season around, as he did in 2017/18.

He told Plymouth Live: “I think it would be very surprising if the manager wasn’t facing some criticism from supporters when the team is in this position in the league.

“He’s a very experienced manager and a very intelligent person. I think he understands the frustration at this point for what it is.

“I don’t think there is any surprise that the supporters are anxious and frustrated by the current league position.

“The board understands that and the management team understands that.

“We all apologise to the supporters. It’s not where we thought we would be this season – any of us.

“It is a difficult position but we stand together and we will get it right.

“We do need to look forward about recovering the position, and not spend too much time at this point reflecting on how we got here.”

Brent added: “The board has got a huge amount of respect for what Derek has done in his career and at Plymouth Argyle.

“I think there is no better person in the football world to get us out of the predicament that we are currently in.”

Adams signed a contract extension in the summer which ties him to Argyle until the summer of 2023.

That has led to some fans speculating that the Pilgrims could not afford to sack Adams even if they wanted to, but Brent dismissed that.

Brent said: “It’s never going to be about the cost of sacking a manager in terms of the termination cost.

“It’s about who is the best person to take the club forward, not just over this season but in the future.”

He added: “I think Derek is an exceptional manager and he has proven that.

“We don’t have to look back too far at this football club to see him get us to Wembley and see him get us promoted and then to finish seventh last season.

“He has got an incredibly good track record with this football club, and also previously at Ross County.”

Majority owner Simon Hallett, the United States-based businessman, will take over as Argyle chairman from Brent on November 1.

Already, the Green Army are wondering how much money – if any – will be made available to the manager to spend on new recruits in the January transfer window.

Brent said: “That’s not a discussion we have had at board level yet.

“Given the time between where we are now and the January window, there is nothing in terms of the squad that we can do at this point.

“It’s not a conversation that we have had. Clearly, we do debate budgets coming up to each transfer window and there will be a debate, I’m sure, in advance of January, but not for now.”

Brent witnessed the frustration of Argyle’s fans at the team’s dreadful run of results at first hand when he sat among them for the 2-0 defeat at Oxford United on Saturday.

He was a guest of the Senior Greens, who travelled by coach to the Kassam Stadium.

Towards the end of the game, and after it, some members of the Green Army voiced their anger at Adams and his players.

Brent said: “Clearly it was a very disappointing performance in the second half.

“Some of the fans booed, some shouted comments but quite a few fans also clapped the team at the end of the game.

“It was a mixed response but it was obviously a very disappointing result.

“What I have learned in football is that booing can be at different things – it can be at the referee, the outcome of the match or a variety of different things.

“I think the booing as I interpreted it – and people may have different views – was at the fact the team hadn’t played well and had played poorly.

“I’m sure the majority of those fans will be at Home Park cheering on their team in a week’s time.”

He continued: “There were quite a number of people booing around where I sat, but I think that was not against the players, it was against their performance.

“I think that is a subtle difference. That would be my read of it.

“I clapped the team and I didn’t do it to compliment them on their second half performance.

“I clapped the team because they are my team and I’m keen that they put Saturday behind him and go and win next Saturday (against Burton Albion at Home Park).”

Back to top Go down
harvetheslayer

harvetheslayer

Location : Wormwood Scrubs awaiting the imminent arrival of Johnson..

PostSubject: Re: James brent declares DA is still the best manager for Argo!   James brent declares DA is still the best manager for Argo! EmptyMon Oct 15, 2018 4:36 pm

First thing that sprung to my mind is Brent didnt pen those words
Back to top Go down
Jethro

Jethro

PostSubject: Re: James brent declares DA is still the best manager for Argo!   James brent declares DA is still the best manager for Argo! EmptyMon Oct 15, 2018 5:15 pm

harvetheslayer wrote:
First thing that sprung to my mind is Brent didnt pen those words

second thats a vote of confidence he has had it
Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

PostSubject: Re: James brent declares DA is still the best manager for Argo!   James brent declares DA is still the best manager for Argo! EmptyMon Oct 15, 2018 5:34 pm

Yep, the dreaded vote of confidence from an outgoing football owner, better start looking at the managerial vacancies Derek. laugh
Back to top Go down
sufferedsince 68

sufferedsince 68

PostSubject: Re: James brent declares DA is still the best manager for Argo!   James brent declares DA is still the best manager for Argo! EmptyMon Oct 15, 2018 5:36 pm

Roll on November the first, Liberation day. cheers cheers cheers
Back to top Go down
Jethro

Jethro

PostSubject: Re: James brent declares DA is still the best manager for Argo!   James brent declares DA is still the best manager for Argo! EmptyMon Oct 15, 2018 5:45 pm

sufferedsince 68 wrote:

I hope so, can't feckin wait.
Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

PostSubject: Re: James brent declares DA is still the best manager for Argo!   James brent declares DA is still the best manager for Argo! EmptyMon Oct 15, 2018 5:47 pm

sufferedsince 68 wrote:

:greenrave:
Back to top Go down
Punchdrunk

Punchdrunk

PostSubject: Re: James brent declares DA is still the best manager for Argo!   James brent declares DA is still the best manager for Argo! EmptyMon Oct 15, 2018 6:00 pm

sufferedsince 68 wrote:

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: James brent declares DA is still the best manager for Argo!   James brent declares DA is still the best manager for Argo! EmptyMon Oct 15, 2018 6:11 pm

The best Samhain in many a long year, Argyle-wise. You've had your day Jim, your leaves are fallen, they were never green.
Back to top Go down
seadog
Admin

PostSubject: Re: James brent declares DA is still the best manager for Argo!   James brent declares DA is still the best manager for Argo! EmptyMon Oct 15, 2018 6:48 pm

Adams is the best manager, Back is the best project manager, IJN is the voice of the silent majority, the Grandstand makeover is on schedule.
Back to top Go down
Old Timer

PostSubject: Re: James brent declares DA is still the best manager for Argo!   James brent declares DA is still the best manager for Argo! EmptyMon Oct 15, 2018 6:53 pm

How could James Brent possibly know that Adams is the best man for the job when he knows nothing about the job?
Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

PostSubject: Re: James brent declares DA is still the best manager for Argo!   James brent declares DA is still the best manager for Argo! EmptyMon Oct 15, 2018 6:53 pm

Seadog, you need to stop reading PASHITTI mate.
Back to top Go down
Grovehill

PostSubject: Re: James brent declares DA is still the best manager for Argo!   James brent declares DA is still the best manager for Argo! EmptyMon Oct 15, 2018 7:12 pm

Not booing the players, booing the performance ??????
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: James brent declares DA is still the best manager for Argo!   James brent declares DA is still the best manager for Argo! EmptyMon Oct 15, 2018 7:17 pm

Well I agree with Brent on this occasion.

I wouldn't sack him.

Sacking Adams merely gets those who deserve the scrutiny a chance to wriggle off the hook.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com

PostSubject: Re: James brent declares DA is still the best manager for Argo!   James brent declares DA is still the best manager for Argo! EmptyMon Oct 15, 2018 8:13 pm

Grovehill wrote:
Not booing the players, booing the performance   ??????

I reckon he's just signed up for the latest Donald Trump PR app. We're not crap, just an extreme football result.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: James brent declares DA is still the best manager for Argo!   James brent declares DA is still the best manager for Argo! EmptyMon Oct 15, 2018 8:33 pm

what would brent know about whats right for this club on the pitch?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: James brent declares DA is still the best manager for Argo!   James brent declares DA is still the best manager for Argo! EmptyMon Oct 15, 2018 8:34 pm

Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: James brent declares DA is still the best manager for Argo!   James brent declares DA is still the best manager for Argo! EmptyTue Oct 16, 2018 7:51 am

We're down anyway. Nothing can stop that now, No new manager can do anything with the crocked and crap players brent has non-funded. As has been stated elsewhere the club is deep in financial shit and there's no playing budget left for January so this season should be written off. Re-group in L2 next season with a new team and perhaps new manager. Although it will take a good few years before we get back to L1. Well done brent.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: James brent declares DA is still the best manager for Argo!   James brent declares DA is still the best manager for Argo! EmptyTue Oct 16, 2018 8:56 am

Angry wrote:

You underestimate his sort Angers. They can put their talents to anything.They see things we don't.  He's a football genius nowadays, a rugby maestro, a financial wizard, a medical saviour. He has a knack for organisation. That's why he's got so many jobs.  Problems only arise when we don't follow his instructions properly. We've got to hold our nerve. Keep calm and we'll be skating continuously before you know it, although, admittedly, the ice might be just a tad thin.
Back to top Go down
PatDunne

PostSubject: Re: James brent declares DA is still the best manager for Argo!   James brent declares DA is still the best manager for Argo! EmptyTue Oct 16, 2018 9:04 am

we are only 4 points adrift, there are some seriously shit teams averaging less than a point a game above us in the table, we will finish mid table no problem.
Back to top Go down
TheDuke

PostSubject: Re: James brent declares DA is still the best manager for Argo!   James brent declares DA is still the best manager for Argo! EmptyTue Oct 16, 2018 9:16 am

Brent is probably the cause of this situation. Running the club on a shoestring budget. Just look at the refurb. He should have walked away a long time ago. Doing everything he could to seek the investment Argyle needs.
Back to top Go down
harvetheslayer

harvetheslayer

Location : Wormwood Scrubs awaiting the imminent arrival of Johnson..

PostSubject: Re: James brent declares DA is still the best manager for Argo!   James brent declares DA is still the best manager for Argo! EmptyTue Oct 16, 2018 9:33 am

Brilliant from "Oldage" on the Farm....He'll be having log in problems shortly

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

ld
Back to top Go down
Grovehill

PostSubject: Re: James brent declares DA is still the best manager for Argo!   James brent declares DA is still the best manager for Argo! EmptyTue Oct 16, 2018 12:06 pm

Can anyone seriously see this team getting the results (10 + wins, 10+ draws) needed to stay up?
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: James brent declares DA is still the best manager for Argo!   James brent declares DA is still the best manager for Argo! EmptyTue Oct 16, 2018 12:59 pm

Grovehill wrote:
Can anyone seriously see this team getting the results (10 + wins, 10+ draws) needed to stay up?

Not this particular group. No. Not in a month of Sunday’s.

But, and it is a big but, if Carey and Lameiras can somehow replicate some of last seasons form, along with a couple game changing acquisitions in January....we may have enough to stay up.

That’s a bit jester-hatted, granted, but we could just as easily totally implode.

All very depressing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: James brent declares DA is still the best manager for Argo!   James brent declares DA is still the best manager for Argo! EmptyTue Oct 16, 2018 1:10 pm

Czarcasm wrote:
Grovehill wrote:

Not this particular group. No. Not in a month of Sunday’s.

But, and it is a big but, if Carey and Lameiras can somehow replicate some of last seasons form, along with a couple game changing acquisitions in January....we may have enough to stay up.

That’s a bit jester-hatted, granted, but we could just as easily totally implode.

All very depressing.  

those two hhitting form will help along with fox too but i dont think it will be enough.

this defence is the worse ive seen since the days of atd's own robbie williams and durrell berry and thats where we will continually be punished. BIG signings are needed in january in the central defence area if we are too stay up Peter Grant aside the other 3 have been utter shit including edwards. we will have Burgoyne back in november due to the water tight contract with wolves that wont allow the termination of the loan deal despite him being injured so we could have a new keeper should macey not push on.

o'keefe can go back as he is awful a new midfielder too come in and personally its very much needed but i dont see it happening a striker wo can stay fit and score goals.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: James brent declares DA is still the best manager for Argo!   James brent declares DA is still the best manager for Argo! Empty

Back to top Go down

James brent declares DA is still the best manager for Argo!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next