akagreengull
9 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

Happy days when Plymouth used to have a music scene - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Happy days when Plymouth used to have a music scene   Happy days when Plymouth used to have a music scene - Page 2 EmptyTue May 29, 2018 7:34 am

beesrus wrote:
PatDunne wrote:
I am aware of and frequent the underground, the junction, the hub, I'm up for new things, where am I missing?

I'm not including pubs like the vaults, the thistle, because I'd be interested in these tiny venues you mention.

Get an evening ranger train ticket for £4 ( used to be £3.30 until the train prices went up, by 4% apparently, obviously somebody can't count ) and get yourself up to Totnes for the evening. There's all manner of music on offer as you would expect in a new age liberal hot bed ha ha, and some of it excellent. The Bay Horse is the best for an eclectic mix, and costs nothing apart from a million pounds for a few pints. The Barrel House also has some great acts, and some incredible pay on the door acts,  check their online flyers, you won't be sorry. Music you rarely get in Plymouth.
As for Plymouth, I was in Bread and Roses this week with friends. Early, 6pm and they had a 50s style Len Jackman sort ( remember him  affraid
) of organist doing singalong stuff you'd find in an old folks home or god forsaken Med holiday resort. And that's Bread and Roses, a right on left wing student community pub. Anyway it was too much for one of my friends  who complained rather forcefully. jocolor  The world is upside down when a bunch of old hippies complain the music is too loud, yet some of the youngsters were almost enjoying it in a naive retro sort of way. They'll learn. So did we, drank up and popped around to the Woodside
PS... I forgot to mention the B Bar of the Barbican Theatre can have some good acts, but Plymouth's problem is summed up by me having to go along to Totters to see John Cooper Clarke ( sort of music/rap/culture related) do his thing when the guy himself used to work in the dockyard !

The guy in the Roses on his little electric organ, playing covers of naff songs early evening is a nice bit of kitsch culture, not entirely expected in Plymouth, most enjoyable experience with a large glass of crisp white, while listening in on some pseudo intellectual conversation.
Back to top Go down
MikeWN

PostSubject: Re: Happy days when Plymouth used to have a music scene   Happy days when Plymouth used to have a music scene - Page 2 EmptyWed May 30, 2018 2:51 pm

akagreengull wrote:
The guy in the Roses on his little electric organ, playing covers of naff songs early evening is a nice bit of kitsch culture, not entirely expected in Plymouth, most enjoyable experience with a large glass of crisp white, while listening in on some pseudo intellectual conversation.

That's Keith - Top bloke! Often seen propping up one end of the bar sipping on a Campari.

I went to see Ducking Punches, Brightr and Black Anchors at the Junction last night. All excellent, £5 door tax. Nowhere near as well supported as it should have been. Gawd knows how Dan, or any of the city's other venues and promoters make any money.

Preceded that by popping into the Fort, where there was a folky jam session/singalong underway, and the nice lady behind the bar accepted my out of date CAMRA card (I really have renewed - promise!) because I have an 'honest face'. Must be the beard...
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Happy days when Plymouth used to have a music scene   Happy days when Plymouth used to have a music scene - Page 2 EmptyWed May 30, 2018 3:05 pm

Any guy who drinks a Campari has to be cool.
I'm down the 'Muff on Friday so may try the place out.
Back to top Go down
MikeWN

PostSubject: Re: Happy days when Plymouth used to have a music scene   Happy days when Plymouth used to have a music scene - Page 2 EmptyWed May 30, 2018 4:45 pm

alannotivvy wrote:

Disclaimer: it might be Martini Rosso - I'm not sure I know what the difference is.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Happy days when Plymouth used to have a music scene   Happy days when Plymouth used to have a music scene - Page 2 EmptyWed May 30, 2018 5:44 pm

alannotivvy wrote:
You'll like the place Al, just about the best pub around Plymouth these days for a mix of this and that, excellent network news of matters that matter, even do organic larger if you can't take the campari. cat  
On a good night, really top place. Often packed to the gunnels. The innards have been preserved well.

Last edited by beesrus on Wed May 30, 2018 5:50 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Happy days when Plymouth used to have a music scene   Happy days when Plymouth used to have a music scene - Page 2 EmptyWed May 30, 2018 5:47 pm

Organic Lager !!!!!! FFS !
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Happy days when Plymouth used to have a music scene   Happy days when Plymouth used to have a music scene - Page 2 EmptyWed May 30, 2018 7:43 pm

If its not colloidal gluten free now I ain't interested. It's all gone a bit Harry Enfield now, I saw you coming, wank in a jam jar? £50 sir lovely.
Back to top Go down
MikeWN

PostSubject: Re: Happy days when Plymouth used to have a music scene   Happy days when Plymouth used to have a music scene - Page 2 EmptyWed May 30, 2018 8:15 pm

I've not tried the organic larger, mostly cos I'm not convinced by organic in general. They do do a great range of beer though, from well-priced, old school cask ales, to super-twiddly, bloody pricy craft beer. Nice mix of beer styles, local, national and international brewers too.

Unwaged discount, staff paid the living wage, odd little music acts and open jam nights, and a broad range of humanity drinking there. As Bees says, it's a good'un.
Back to top Go down
Naughty Step

PostSubject: Re: Happy days when Plymouth used to have a music scene   Happy days when Plymouth used to have a music scene - Page 2 EmptyWed May 30, 2018 8:26 pm

akagreengull wrote:
Brought back some great memories, being a punk in Plymouth circa 1977/78 was great so much going on, mind you had some hairy nights being chased by pissed service types and biker clubs if you looked like one of those fecking punks.
https://www.plymouthherald.co.uk/whats-on/music-nightlife/50-greatest-gigs-time-plymouths-1378172

I was the DJ at the Royx in 198..Whatever?

I loved doing that gig... Got threatened a lot by skinheads...

Ended up... Speak to me politely... I may play your song!

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Happy days when Plymouth used to have a music scene   Happy days when Plymouth used to have a music scene - Page 2 EmptyWed May 30, 2018 8:31 pm

The trendy expensive thing has always been there, even in the trashy 1970s. Public house prices are a real problem these days though. But then so is the ludicrous price of coffee and tea everywhere too. I was up at the Green Cafe today at Dartington Hall for the middle class liberal ( different than praaapper new age liberals ) community day. Great stuff, great food, but pricey as always.
The whole relationship of alcohol, pubs and youngsters has changed underneath though, just as the smoking thing. Less of them do it. A social trend.
Bread and Roses is one of the more expensive in the city, the organic larger being £4 a pint. £2.50 or less for the local beer in that wind swept corridor of a new Wetherspoons in Okehampton. What a dreadful place that is, so I would rather pay the extra at B and R and deal with people who I trust in their motivation and outlook, but just not so often.
Food wise, Bread and Roses does a trendy rejected food evening where you pay what you think the food is worth. A good idea but sadly I can't wait  for the supermarkets to be pushing out their sub standard veg like their predecessors did in the bad old days.
Back to top Go down
Naughty Step

PostSubject: Re: Happy days when Plymouth used to have a music scene   Happy days when Plymouth used to have a music scene - Page 2 EmptyWed May 30, 2018 8:48 pm

beesrus wrote:
Ah, Rock. Can't help you with rock, Pat. Last time I was interested in rock, Ian Gillan had a cardboard box over his head.
Seriously?

I love this forum...

Last time I saw Ian Gillan... He scored a hat-trick at Home Park...

Paul Mariner congratulated him...

And I had a Fight with Terry Butcher!

feck off! you're too young!
Back to top Go down
Naughty Step

PostSubject: Re: Happy days when Plymouth used to have a music scene   Happy days when Plymouth used to have a music scene - Page 2 EmptyWed May 30, 2018 8:57 pm

And, as Plymothians.. What do we have?

Back to top Go down
Naughty Step

PostSubject: Re: Happy days when Plymouth used to have a music scene   Happy days when Plymouth used to have a music scene - Page 2 EmptyWed May 30, 2018 9:11 pm

beesrus wrote:
The trendy expensive thing has always been there, even in the trashy 1970s. Public house prices are a real problem these days though. But then so is the ludicrous price of coffee and tea everywhere too. I was up at the Green Cafe today at Dartington Hall for the middle class liberal ( different than praaapper new age liberals ) community day. Great stuff, great food, but pricey as always.
The whole relationship of alcohol, pubs and youngsters has changed underneath though, just as the smoking thing. Less of them do it. A social trend.
Bread and Roses is one of the more expensive in the city, the organic larger being £4 a pint. £2.50 or less for the local beer in that wind swept corridor of a new Wetherspoons in Okehampton. What a dreadful place that is, so I would rather pay the extra at B and R and deal with people who I trust in their motivation and outlook, but just not so often.
Food wise, Bread and Roses does a trendy rejected food evening where you pay what you think the food is worth. A good idea but sadly I can't wait  for the supermarkets to be pushing out their sub standard veg like their predecessors did in the bad old days.

I don't know who you are...

I hope you're a troll!

It's not my problem!

Good luck!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Happy days when Plymouth used to have a music scene   Happy days when Plymouth used to have a music scene - Page 2 EmptyWed May 30, 2018 9:15 pm

I don't know you either.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Happy days when Plymouth used to have a music scene   Happy days when Plymouth used to have a music scene - Page 2 EmptyWed May 30, 2018 9:28 pm

Naughty Step wrote:
beesrus wrote:
Ah, Rock. Can't help you with rock, Pat. Last time I was interested in rock, Ian Gillan had a cardboard box over his head.
Seriously?

I love this forum...

Gillan was involved with Reading in the pre Madjeski days, think he put a fair bit of money into the club in his own right. Good singer, regret not seeing Purple live. Nearest I got was a ticket to see Sabbath at the ABC [I think],fecking concert was cancelled because Ozzy had a bad throat, probably through biting the heads off bats.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Happy days when Plymouth used to have a music scene   Happy days when Plymouth used to have a music scene - Page 2 EmptyWed May 30, 2018 10:05 pm

Greenskin wrote:
Naughty Step wrote:
beesrus wrote:
Seriously?

I love this forum...

Gillan was involved with Reading in the pre Madjeski days, think he put a fair bit of money into the club in his own right. Good singer, regret not seeing Purple live. Nearest I got was a ticket to see Sabbath at the ABC [I think],fecking concert was cancelled because Ozzy had a bad throat, probably through biting the heads off bats.

Gillan sung with Black Sabbath for an album and a tour, Mid eighties. went off as well as you could imagine, left as the classic mk2 Purple reformed, which also went as you could imagine.
Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

PostSubject: Re: Happy days when Plymouth used to have a music scene   Happy days when Plymouth used to have a music scene - Page 2 EmptyWed May 30, 2018 10:17 pm

Just had a great evening meeting a terrific lady Viva Hamnell, whom I last met and spoke with over 40years ago, she has just done two nights of storytelling of her life experiences at the Theatre Royal (anyone remember the Bricks).

Then had a hour and half in the Roundabout (actually quite a good venue, if not too many pissed students in) reminiscing with a mate and my partner about all the great gigs we have seen at some point.

Will bore you all again tomorrow.

I MAY BE OLD BUT I SAW ALL THE BEST BANDS

(I don't really mean that)
flower
Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

PostSubject: Re: Happy days when Plymouth used to have a music scene   Happy days when Plymouth used to have a music scene - Page 2 EmptyWed May 30, 2018 10:21 pm

alannotivvy wrote:
Organic Lager !!!!!!   FFS !    

Great boozer Al, but remember to take a copy of the Guardian with you to read, while you sup your organic beer, tis a good pint in there. cheers
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Happy days when Plymouth used to have a music scene   Happy days when Plymouth used to have a music scene - Page 2 EmptyWed May 30, 2018 10:28 pm

Hugh Watt wrote:
Greenskin wrote:
Naughty Step wrote:
beesrus wrote:
Seriously?

I love this forum...

Gillan sung with Black Sabbath for an album and a tour,  Mid eighties. went off as well as you could imagine, left as the classic mk2 Purple reformed, which also went as you could imagine.

Gillian? Thought it was Ronnie James DEO? I saw Sabbath with Ozzy he was epic I went off Sabbath when he left.
Back to top Go down
Naughty Step

PostSubject: Re: Happy days when Plymouth used to have a music scene   Happy days when Plymouth used to have a music scene - Page 2 EmptyWed May 30, 2018 10:33 pm

akagreengull wrote:
alannotivvy wrote:

Great boozer Al, but remember to take a copy of the Guardian with you to read, while you sup your organic beer, tis a good pint in there. cheers

This is why I try to engage with you...

I'm an old man...

In a place where .... Unless I accept it...

I'm old!
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Happy days when Plymouth used to have a music scene   Happy days when Plymouth used to have a music scene - Page 2 EmptyWed May 30, 2018 10:37 pm

Naughty Step wrote:
akagreengull wrote:
alannotivvy wrote:

This is why I try to engage with you...

I'm an old man...

In a place where .... Unless I accept it...

I'm old!

Do you remember the White Rabbit? albino
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Happy days when Plymouth used to have a music scene   Happy days when Plymouth used to have a music scene - Page 2 EmptyWed May 30, 2018 10:59 pm

Earwegoagain wrote:
Hugh Watt wrote:
Greenskin wrote:
Naughty Step wrote:
beesrus wrote:
Seriously?

I love this forum...

Gillan sung with Black Sabbath for an album and a tour,  Mid eighties. went off as well as you could imagine, left as the classic mk2 Purple reformed, which also went as you could imagine.

Gillian? Thought it was Ronnie James DEO? I saw Sabbath with Ozzy he was epic I went off Sabbath when he left.

Gillan singing with Sabath was just after Dio left to form His own band. Sabbath neeeded a singer and Gillan was presumably at a loose end so I guess it seemed like a good idea at the time. The resulting album was awful and by and large forgotten
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Happy days when Plymouth used to have a music scene   Happy days when Plymouth used to have a music scene - Page 2 EmptyThu May 31, 2018 6:14 am

Hugh Watt wrote:
Earwegoagain wrote:
Hugh Watt wrote:
Greenskin wrote:
Naughty Step wrote:
beesrus wrote:
Seriously?

I love this forum...

Gillan singing with Sabath was just after Dio left to form His own band. Sabbath neeeded a singer and Gillan was presumably at a loose end so I guess it seemed like a good idea at the time. The resulting album was awful and by and large  forgotten

Duo came from Whitesnake or Rainbow before Sabbath both horror shows of rock and birth of the mainstream rock anthem. I think both bands had Purple origins (I loved Purple back in the day) but both Purple and Sabbath should have had their life support turned off it would have saved a lot of suffering.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Happy days when Plymouth used to have a music scene   Happy days when Plymouth used to have a music scene - Page 2 EmptyThu May 31, 2018 7:11 am

White snake was David Coverdale, he named it after his cock.
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Happy days when Plymouth used to have a music scene   Happy days when Plymouth used to have a music scene - Page 2 EmptyThu May 31, 2018 7:32 am

Stop it De Lars already got a semi on.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Happy days when Plymouth used to have a music scene   Happy days when Plymouth used to have a music scene - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Happy days when Plymouth used to have a music scene
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next