Earwegoagain
Czarcasm
11 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

Ashley Barnes in Brents herald. - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ashley Barnes in Brents herald.   Ashley Barnes in Brents herald. - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 15, 2018 4:42 pm

Greenlander wrote:
Ahhh... Chris Clark

That goal against Portsmouth in the cup was his debut wasn't it.

Within about 20 minutes at the following home game my mate was giving Clark full-on pelters and a number of folk around us were telling him to leave off and how great he'd been the previous weekend and how wonderful he was going to be.

With great gusto he proclaimed - I know shite when I see it and Chris f***ing Clark  won't do diddly for us - and spent the rest of the afternoon defending his corner. Within weeks the pro-Clark brigade had dwindled and he took great delight in telling them so.

A long ranger against Exeter in the paint pot was about as good as it got after that.    

That Clark goal at Pompey was the only one they conceded in the entire competition on their way to lifting the cup when they beat Cardiff.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
Chemical Ali

PostSubject: Re: Ashley Barnes in Brents herald.   Ashley Barnes in Brents herald. - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 15, 2018 4:52 pm

Chris Clarke, christ I'd forgotton about him, and the rest of the dross signed during the Luggy Mk 2 period. Was Walton signed then (for an almost club record)? I always wanted Walton and MacLean to do well (due to the transfer fees), but it never happened for either of them.

I think I was impressed by Barnes on his debut (against Wolves- could have been his second game), but he started to struggle and looked less impressive- I would never have thought he would be a Premier League regular (same as Glenn Murray).

I was watching a game recently and the commentator mentioned how a winger was played on the side near the dug outs (both halves) so the Manager could tell him what to do- reminded me of Bolasie.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ashley Barnes in Brents herald.   Ashley Barnes in Brents herald. - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 15, 2018 4:53 pm

Angry wrote:
Hugh Watt wrote:
Angry wrote:
its a pity we didnt get rid of that decaying dinosaur luggy sooner given some of the talent we had that he couldnt see or refuse to play.

It was a pity he came to us in the first place. Just showed how painfully out of his depth Stapleton was that he was desperate to get him back refusing to countenance other candidates. It was the backward step that led to all this nonsense we have had over the last 8 years. The sort of Journeymen Scottish footballers that might have done a job in the basement wasn't the correct approach in the Championship, Instead we stuck to the same approach as we always did, 1 up front away home however we were playing. Shite like Clarke, Patterson playing week in week out, talented players left to rot, falling out with players on weekly basis and then putting them on the 'transfer list' knowing full well no one else wanted them, a squad of 30 shit players....

Southampton should have been a neon sign to Staplewallet that Luggy was out of his depth in he higher leagues. Lower leagues you can get awway with signing injury prone players that barely played in 2 years not the championship. Its no wonder he lost alot of the dressing room.

And yet his record for Southampton was better than most of their managers including the worshipped Strachan. I do agree that the second term was not good but isn't hindsight a great thing.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ashley Barnes in Brents herald.   Ashley Barnes in Brents herald. - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 15, 2018 6:16 pm

mcfry wrote:
Angry wrote:
Hugh Watt wrote:
Angry wrote:
its a pity we didnt get rid of that decaying dinosaur luggy sooner given some of the talent we had that he couldnt see or refuse to play.

It was a pity he came to us in the first place. Just showed how painfully out of his depth Stapleton was that he was desperate to get him back refusing to countenance other candidates. It was the backward step that led to all this nonsense we have had over the last 8 years. The sort of Journeymen Scottish footballers that might have done a job in the basement wasn't the correct approach in the Championship, Instead we stuck to the same approach as we always did, 1 up front away home however we were playing. Shite like Clarke, Patterson playing week in week out, talented players left to rot, falling out with players on weekly basis and then putting them on the 'transfer list' knowing full well no one else wanted them, a squad of 30 shit players....

Southampton should have been a neon sign to Staplewallet that Luggy was out of his depth in he higher leagues. Lower leagues you can get awway with signing injury prone players that barely played in 2 years not the championship. Its no wonder he lost alot of the dressing room.

And yet his record for Southampton was better than most of their managers including the worshipped Strachan. I do agree that the second term was not good but isn't hindsight a great thing.

he pissed off alot of people behind the scenes not just the players and almost faced an all out mutiny due to his out of date coaching and management methods despite his results on the pitch. He only came back the second time due to fans continually living in the past like historians and staplewallet being his mate and was pining for his return even when he had pulis and hollowords here. i dont think he did that well with wednesday when he took them up into the championship hence why they got shot even after giving him a new 4 year contract a few weeks previous so thats another sign he shouldnt have returned.
Back to top Go down
Greenlander

Greenlander

PostSubject: Re: Ashley Barnes in Brents herald.   Ashley Barnes in Brents herald. - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 15, 2018 6:24 pm

Sir Francis Drake wrote:
Greenlander wrote:
Ahhh... Chris Clark

Within about 20 minutes at the following home game my mate was giving Clark full-on pelters and a number of folk around us were telling him to leave off and how great he'd been the previous weekend and how wonderful he was going to be.

With great gusto he proclaimed - I know shite when I see it and Chris f***ing Clark  won't do diddly for us - and spent the rest of the afternoon defending his corner. Within weeks the pro-Clark brigade had dwindled and he took great delight in telling them so.

A long ranger against Exeter in the paint pot was about as good as it got after that.    

That Clark goal at Pompey was the only one they conceded in the entire competition on their way to lifting the cup when they beat Cardiff.

Well okay, he can put that on list of footballing achievements.
Back to top Go down
Greenlander

Greenlander

PostSubject: Re: Ashley Barnes in Brents herald.   Ashley Barnes in Brents herald. - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 15, 2018 6:27 pm

Hugh Watt wrote:
Greenlander wrote:
Ahhh... Chris Clark

There was a screamer against The Franchise but otherwise it was pretty rank. Couldnt run, couldnt dribble, couldnt score for toffee, I remember groaning every time he got the ball as you knew a promising passage of play was about to end with him either losing the ball, or passing it backwards. I actually thought Paterson was better, at least he looked like he was trying.

Exactly how I remember it. The exasperated sigh every time Clark got the ball.

Agree about Paterson too.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Ashley Barnes in Brents herald.   Ashley Barnes in Brents herald. - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 15, 2018 6:51 pm

Paterson and Clark were just average players, not necessarily terrible but just not good enough to make any sort of impact in the championship. There were others of a similar ilk such as Chris Barker and Karl Duguid -the common denominator was that they were all small/medium money buys at championship level and they lived up [or down] to their price tags. For sure Argyle spent some relatively large sums on players like Walton and McClean whose contribution was disappointing to say the least but players like Halmosi, Ebanks Blake and Buzz more than lived up to expectations-love to have seen what Holloway could have done with the money given to Sturrock and Mariner.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ashley Barnes in Brents herald.   Ashley Barnes in Brents herald. - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 15, 2018 7:03 pm

Angry wrote:
mcfry wrote:
Angry wrote:
Hugh Watt wrote:
Angry wrote:

he pissed off alot of people behind the scenes not just the players and almost faced an all out mutiny due to his out of date coaching and management methods despite his results on the pitch. He only came back the second time due to fans continually living in the past like historians and staplewallet being his mate and was pining for his return even when he had pulis and hollowords here. i dont think he did that well with wednesday when he took them up into the championship hence why they got shot even after giving him a new 4 year contract a few weeks previous so thats another sign he shouldnt have returned.

You could say that about most if not all managers. They fail at one club and are awarded with a job at another. Mark Hughes as the latest. Plus there were plenty of rumours (or possibly true but I have no way of knowing for sure) that there was a players revolt, possibly led by a certain Mr Beattie. Also I don't buy into out dated methods as such because you look at the so called modern ways and  how bad these teams and players can play supports it. I assume Pulis would be in the bracket of being out of date but he usually brings results. It was also interesting to note on Saturday, from a certain Mr Souness that if Liverpool had played more ugly they would of won and that there is more than one way to win a game. This is something I firmly believe as I am bored of watching tippy tappy football going sideways and backwards. Personally I would rather have 1980's style of football as a paying spectator but that's just my opinion. I agree with the point that Sturrock was a panic appointment by Mr Stapleton and co, which should not of taken place but then life wouldn't be as bizarre with hindsight. Maybe his medical condition played a bigger part than we know but onwards and hopefully upwards without the ex-banking shyster.
Back to top Go down
RegGreen

PostSubject: Re: Ashley Barnes in Brents herald.   Ashley Barnes in Brents herald. - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 15, 2018 7:19 pm

I forgot a bout David Mcfuckmenees at R/B lol
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ashley Barnes in Brents herald.   Ashley Barnes in Brents herald. - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 15, 2018 7:25 pm

Signing Yoann Folly to replace the better Jimmy Abdou wasn’t the best move either.
Back to top Go down
RegGreen

PostSubject: Re: Ashley Barnes in Brents herald.   Ashley Barnes in Brents herald. - Page 2 EmptyThu Mar 15, 2018 10:44 pm

Chemical Ali wrote:
Chris Clarke, christ I'd forgotton about him, and the rest of the dross signed during the Luggy Mk 2 period. Was Walton signed then (for an almost club record)? I always wanted Walton and MacLean to do well (due to the transfer fees), but it never happened for either of them.

I think I was impressed by Barnes on his debut (against Wolves- could have been his second game), but he started to struggle and looked less impressive- I would never have thought he would be a Premier League regular (same as Glenn Murray).

I was watching a game recently and the commentator mentioned how a winger was played on the side near the dug outs (both halves) so the Manager could tell him what to do- reminded me of Bolasie.
panic signing walton sturrock signed him late the day before the season started
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Ashley Barnes in Brents herald.   Ashley Barnes in Brents herald. - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 16, 2018 5:09 am

And where did that Blair fella come from that we signed twice I believe? Some shocking signings at the time.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ashley Barnes in Brents herald.   Ashley Barnes in Brents herald. - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 16, 2018 8:35 am

Still, Luggy's been given a role where he can't do any more damage. Chief scout for Dundee United.
I'm sure Blair could do a job for them, he's only 36 years old. LOL
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ashley Barnes in Brents herald.   Ashley Barnes in Brents herald. - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 16, 2018 9:05 am

Angry wrote:
mcfry wrote:
Angry wrote:
Hugh Watt wrote:
Angry wrote:

I could see a mile off that Sturrock MK II was going to a pile of wank at the time.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ashley Barnes in Brents herald.   Ashley Barnes in Brents herald. - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 16, 2018 9:54 am

Frank Bullitt wrote:
Signing Yoann Folly to replace the better Jimmy Abdou wasn’t the best move either.

Spent more time in the treatment room than on the pitch.

I think out of all of Luggy mark 2 signings Jamie Mackie was the only one that was half decent. Another who exceeded expectations elsewhere and went on to bigger things.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Ashley Barnes in Brents herald.   Ashley Barnes in Brents herald. - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 16, 2018 10:15 am

Angry wrote:
Frank Bullitt wrote:

I think out of all of Luggy mark 2 signings Jamie Mackie was the only one that was half decent. Another who exceeded expectations elsewhere and went on to bigger things.

There was also Noone, Bolasie, Arneson and Wright Phillips-you have to say in Sturrocks defence that Argyle may well have had sufficient fire power to stay up if the latter had not sustained a long term injury in some idiotic pre season friendly, exactly the same scenario as Bickle in 1967/68. Gallagher,Judge and Anderson were also decent loan signings which kept the wolf from the door for a while.
Back to top Go down
RegGreen

PostSubject: Re: Ashley Barnes in Brents herald.   Ashley Barnes in Brents herald. - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 16, 2018 10:17 am

Jimmy abdou liked jimmy very undrated in that side..they could have kept him as well he didnt really want to leave it and he wernt asking for loads of money just a slight improvement of terms and he would of stayed
Back to top Go down
RegGreen

PostSubject: Re: Ashley Barnes in Brents herald.   Ashley Barnes in Brents herald. - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 16, 2018 10:28 am

Yoann folly was old pals act signing by sturrock he played for luggy at sheff wed so i quess he new about folly being a injury prone and still signed him
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ashley Barnes in Brents herald.   Ashley Barnes in Brents herald. - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 16, 2018 10:45 am

Greenskin wrote:
Angry wrote:
Frank Bullitt wrote:

There was also Noone, Bolasie, Arneson and Wright Phillips-you have to say in Sturrocks defence that Argyle may well have had sufficient fire power to stay up if the latter had not sustained a long term injury in some idiotic pre season friendly, exactly the same scenario as Bickle in 1967/68. Gallagher,Judge and Anderson were also decent loan signings which kept the wolf from the door for a while.

He might have signed them, but apart from Arnason he wouldn't play any of them. More often than not we ended with a midfield of Clark, Duguid, Fletcher and Arnason with Fallon and Mackie up front and wonder why we couldn't hit a barn door, then there was the ludicrous panic signings Damien Johnson on 7k a week, Kenny Cooper on 10k...
Back to top Go down
RegGreen

PostSubject: Re: Ashley Barnes in Brents herald.   Ashley Barnes in Brents herald. - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 16, 2018 10:57 am

Jeez is that what they were paying kenny cooper on that loan deal from a bundasliga side he was another old pals act signing didnt he play for mariner in the MLS absolute shite he was while here..think his still getting a living in the MLS
Back to top Go down
RegGreen

PostSubject: Re: Ashley Barnes in Brents herald.   Ashley Barnes in Brents herald. - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 16, 2018 11:02 am

Remember him as well Rory patterson scored about 3million goals in the irish league came over signed for us and couldnt hit a cows arse with a banjo think he mite have scored 1 maybe 2 while he was here
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ashley Barnes in Brents herald.   Ashley Barnes in Brents herald. - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 16, 2018 11:36 am

Greenskin wrote:
Angry wrote:
Frank Bullitt wrote:

Bolasie and noone only really played in league one under reid really although they were signed under sturrock at the behearst of our scout the late andy king. arnason is another good player like Mackie.

it was really the loan market tht saved us especially Gallagher whos goals saved our bacon so many times.

who remembers Émile Mpenza? my god he was a let down hence the viagra problem.
Back to top Go down
Earwegoagain

Earwegoagain

PostSubject: Re: Ashley Barnes in Brents herald.   Ashley Barnes in Brents herald. - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 16, 2018 1:05 pm

Mpenza was one of the best players I've seen at HP. What happened behind the scenes that stopped him playing was a mystery.
The weirdest of signings though has to be Taribo West we could all see he was about fifty why couldn't the management?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Ashley Barnes in Brents herald.   Ashley Barnes in Brents herald. - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 16, 2018 1:06 pm

Greenskin wrote:
Angry wrote:
Frank Bullitt wrote:

Bolasie was hopeless for us, as was the ever busy, doing nothing Judge. And Anderson caused the fall out with Seip when he was no better a player. Like it or not, Luggy seemed to have a thing with most of the favourites from Holloway, there was almost a palpable feeling of territorial competition with Holloway's memory. I've always assumed it was this background dressing room split that caused the disaster that followed.
Galagher promised, but didn't really deliver on his reputation, but Arnason and Noone  I liked. I also really liked the ex Wigan winger too that used to feed Ellington and Roberts, the blond guy, he was always a good player, but he was a short term loan and not committed. You've got to get some right. Good managers get 90% right. Luggy's spell was a disater, and left the club with a massive underperforming squad on big wages. Still, wasn't his money, and Todd was busy gambling on a golden egg.... "another player Paul ? how much a week ? ah, go on".
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Ashley Barnes in Brents herald.   Ashley Barnes in Brents herald. - Page 2 EmptyFri Mar 16, 2018 6:57 pm

beesrus wrote:
Greenskin wrote:
Angry wrote:
Frank Bullitt wrote:

Bolasie was hopeless for us, as was the ever busy, doing nothing Judge. And Anderson caused the fall out with Seip when he was no better a player. Like it or not, Luggy seemed to have a thing with most of the favourites from Holloway, there was almost a palpable feeling of territorial competition with Holloway's memory. I've always assumed it was this background dressing room split that caused the disaster that followed.
Galagher promised, but didn't really deliver on his reputation, but Arnason and Noone  I liked. I also really liked the ex Wigan winger too that used to feed Ellington and Roberts, the blond guy, he was always a good player, but he was a short term loan and not committed. You've got to get some right. Good managers get 90% right. Luggy's spell was a disater, and left the club with a massive underperforming squad on big wages. Still, wasn't his money, and Todd was busy gambling on a golden egg.... "another player Paul ? how much a week ? ah, go on".

Bolasie was mercurial, not hopeless. Sometimes the genius, other times the last pick in the school playground team, totally infuriating player admittedly. Seem to remember you disparaging Judge on numerous previous occasions but I thought he was a decent player and his record at championship level since would seem to bear that out. On the other hand, i didn't rate Teale at all, thought he was crap-the only thing he did for us was to supply a decent cross or two for Fallon when Argyle won at Bristol City. Game of opinions in the end.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Ashley Barnes in Brents herald.   Ashley Barnes in Brents herald. - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Ashley Barnes in Brents herald.
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next