Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic

The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Ro's Big Night Out

Go down 
AuthorMessage

Ro's Big Night Out Empty
PostSubject: Ro's Big Night Out   Ro's Big Night Out EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 8:41 pm

Hello all

Just over three weeks to go now before the next big event in Le Keeper's Testimonial season:-

Le Grand Ball

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

We're ticking off the tables and there are still spaces left if you'd like an opportunity to join us for what promises to be a memorable night for all Argyle fans.

As well as a chance to pay tribute to our most loyal player and enjoy a magical night of fine food, fine wines and wonderful entertainment, there'll be a special raffle and some amazing auction prizes to bid for.

We know it's not a cheap night out and times are tough for us all.

But this is a bit special. He's Le Keeper and he's been there for us over the years.

Let's be there for him, and for his chosen charities.

Thanks all.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]
Back to top Go down

Ro's Big Night Out Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ro's Big Night Out   Ro's Big Night Out EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 8:46 pm

I really wish I could. At the moment I couldn't afford £5.50 let alone £55. If anyone deserves a testimonial it's Ro.
Back to top Go down

Ro's Big Night Out Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ro's Big Night Out   Ro's Big Night Out EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 8:53 pm

I'm sure Mr Newell would get you a taxi home greenjock cheers

Never quite seen the point in testimonials personally. Sure he is a nice bloke and deserves our praise but to ask people right now to stump up that sort of money is asking a lot. I did 30 years for my last employer and my colleagues paid for my testimonial when I retired. My employer didn't bother turning up and I wasn't paid several thousand a week. Think they only stumped up to make sure I left come to think of it.
Back to top Go down

Ro's Big Night Out Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ro's Big Night Out   Ro's Big Night Out EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 8:56 pm

When I read the first sentence I thought it read "Lee Cooper", I thought, eh? clown

I don't agree with testimonials considering the reasons why they were set up all those years ago when players earned little and had very short careers, but I agree, if anyone deserves it Ro does, he's been an outstanding ambassador for the club throughout his career at Home Park.
Back to top Go down

Ro's Big Night Out Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ro's Big Night Out   Ro's Big Night Out EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 8:59 pm

So, assuming ATD can get a table together - which I doubt

Cost of Cerbs turning up:

£50 x 2

Hotel for the night £100?

Drinks taxis,etc £60

Travel to and from £40

So, without bidding on anything, £300 for a night out. A damned good night out, granted. But right now, an awful lot of money for a man that earns far, far more than me.

I'm out.
Back to top Go down

Ro's Big Night Out Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ro's Big Night Out   Ro's Big Night Out EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 9:02 pm

Good luck with the evening, John. As others have said, testimonials can seem a bit superfluous nowadays, but after everything Romain's gone through, he deserves it - and most of the money goes his chosen charities, doesn't it?

If I had £50, I'd have to use it to pay one of the bills which are mounting up, but count me in in spirit.
Back to top Go down

Ro's Big Night Out Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ro's Big Night Out   Ro's Big Night Out EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 9:09 pm

Peggy wrote:
Good luck with the evening, John. As others have said, testimonials can seem a bit superfluous nowadays, but after everything Romain's gone through, he deserves it - and most of the money goes his chosen charities, doesn't it?

If I had £50, I'd have to use it to pay one of the bills which are mounting up, but count me in in spirit.

That puts a different slant on it entirely.

I cannot attend but would be happy to donate if that is the case.
Back to top Go down

Ro's Big Night Out Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ro's Big Night Out   Ro's Big Night Out EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 9:14 pm

I understand totally Sensible.
It's some sort of throw back to the past when some ill educated lout was thrown out at 30 without a bean. That can't be said of Romain.
Romain's earned a good old income and is a great advert for ........ well, almost anything. He's been a credit to the club, and I've liked his time here. All the talk of Arsenal in the early days was never going to materialise, but what a cat on occasion.
Good to see John Lloyd still helping to organise/publicise certain things, and everyone hopes it will be a good evening for the player. But as for the fund raising, I haven't a thing to say about it. In the old days it all went to the player, now it is supposedly another philanthropic black tie do gesture. the world is full of them as some folk, not all obviously, troop up to give 10pence back for the £1 they've taken. I bet I know who will be there.
Back to top Go down

Ro's Big Night Out Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ro's Big Night Out   Ro's Big Night Out EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 9:17 pm

In the interests of clarity and transparency, "most" isn't an accurate term.

Once all the costs and expenses have been settled, Ro and the Le Testimonial committee will then make a judgement on how much the chosen charities will receive, as a proportion of the pot.

Back to top Go down

Ro's Big Night Out Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ro's Big Night Out   Ro's Big Night Out EmptyWed Feb 01, 2012 9:28 pm

I don't want to make a thing. The guy has been an absolute credit to himself and the club.
I'm just fed up with the whole charitable thing of late when we have a perfectly civilised State capable of redistributing the communal wealth we have all contributed to. If only those who had money would play ball and give it up in the proper manner, I would be alot happier and feel more of a stakeholder.
Football shows up a very old and tired myth for the rubbish it is.
Hard work and big money are not particularly related. Supply and demand is King.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Ro's Big Night Out Empty
PostSubject: Re: Ro's Big Night Out   Ro's Big Night Out Empty

Back to top Go down

Ro's Big Night Out
Page 1 of 1