+2
Tringreen
GreenMill
6 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
GreenMill

A trip down memory lane.. Empty
PostSubject: A trip down memory lane..   A trip down memory lane.. EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 9:54 am

Well, Loftus Road, in fact...for us oldies, a happy memory..

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

It was not long after this game, Christmas 1973, that I got my first ever Argyle replica kit, the letters PAFC lovingly sewn on. I dreamt of being one of 'Waiters wonders'..

Thanks to whomever posted it up!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A trip down memory lane..   A trip down memory lane.. EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 9:57 am

Bloooooody hell, that was some Cup run!

I was at HP watching a reserve match the night we won one of those away cup games, I think it was the first and last time I have ever heard the crowd sing at a reserve match as the score filtered through!
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A trip down memory lane..   A trip down memory lane.. EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 10:02 am

I was football training up at Penlee school that night. Couldn't hear the reserve crowd though Gob Very Happy
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A trip down memory lane..   A trip down memory lane.. EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 10:03 am

Thanks for finding that, Green Mill. You have no idea just how much that's put a smile on my face.

My first Argyle game. Me and my Dad ( the family lived in London at the time) got our regular football fix at Loftus Road at that time. It was a great few years to watch QPR; they had one of the best club sides I've ever seen. Anyway, we went that evening, and on the drive to the Loft my Dad was lecturing me about how, tonight, we would be supporting the visitors. He was a lifelong, and very proud Green, but he just loved football, and thats why we went to QPR regularly.

Great memories, GM. Thank you.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A trip down memory lane..   A trip down memory lane.. EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 10:06 am

penzancepirate wrote:
I was football training up at Penlee school that night. Couldn't hear the reserve crowd though Gob Very Happy

It may not have been that match, we played all of our games away in that cup run but for Man City at home when we were knocked out, I think? I'm curious now though, does GOS have reserve match info?
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: A trip down memory lane..   A trip down memory lane.. EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 10:08 am

I was working in Landan, arrived late with a mate[yes I do have some] and found ourselves in the home end , behind the goal.

I'll never forget the goals going in and the two of us being unable to jump and yell for fear of a battering !
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: A trip down memory lane..   A trip down memory lane.. EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 10:25 am

GOB wrote:
penzancepirate wrote:

It may not have been that match, we played all of our games away in that cup run but for Man City at home when we were knocked out, I think? I'm curious now though, does GOS have reserve match info?

I think we beat Pompey 4-0 at HP in one of the early rounds but all matches after that were away.Pompey were a reasonable division 2 team at the time,i think Richard Reynolds and Norman Piper were playing for them that night.I'm not sure how you'd find reserve team results, maybe look at a programme from 73/74.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A trip down memory lane..   A trip down memory lane.. EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 10:28 am

Who mitched off school for the Man City match then?
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: A trip down memory lane..   A trip down memory lane.. EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 10:34 am

GOB wrote:
Who mitched off school for the Man City match then?

Me,sir! I think half of Tavvy comp did.
Back to top Go down
GreenMill

PostSubject: Re: A trip down memory lane..   A trip down memory lane.. EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 11:09 am

GOB.

I have just dug out a programme for that season and I can confirm that the reserve match you were at was against Bournemouth while Argyle were beating Burnley away 2-1. It was October 30th and for good measure the reserves won 3-1!

Hope it brings back happy memories!
Back to top Go down
Charlie Wood

Charlie Wood

PostSubject: Re: A trip down memory lane..   A trip down memory lane.. EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 11:19 am

I set off with a mate from the navigation school for the Burnley match in my new (to me) MG Midget...and broke down on the Plympton bypass so saw none of those away matches, and of course the good old Westward cameraman missed Steve Davey's goal at St. Andrews.

As a footnote, after 38 years, I found out above mentioned mate (who was from Middlesborough), is back in Plymouth and we got back in touch. Dredged up some good old memories of places like Ronnies.
Back to top Go down
Keyholder

Keyholder

PostSubject: Re: A trip down memory lane..   A trip down memory lane.. EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 11:24 am

GreenMill wrote:
GOB.

I have just dug out a programme for that season and I can confirm that the reserve match you were at was against Bournemouth while Argyle were beating Burnley away 2-1. It was October 30th and for good measure the reserves won 3-1!

Hope it brings back happy memories!

Brilliant, cheers GM!

The old grey matter aint what it used to be, I struggle these days! Rolling Eyes

Any idea of the reserve attendance that night, I have a feeling it was a much higher then the average?

GOB
Back to top Go down
http://argyletalkdemocratic.forumotion.co.uk
GreenMill

PostSubject: Re: A trip down memory lane..   A trip down memory lane.. EmptySun Jan 29, 2012 12:09 pm

Sorry, I'm afraid reserve attendance isn't given - I'm not sure if they even counted Smile

But if anyone has a programme from November 1974 they might be able to find out who scored the reserve goals..

Aagggh. I've become a Green Geek No

Interesting side point. The programme in 1974 was 7p. Inflation adjusted to today's prices that would be 67 pence. Whereas the programme today is £3.00. It's an indication of the super-inflation that has hit football since the arrival of the Sky money!

I can't remember how much I used to pay 'on the gate' in 1974 (anyway, my dad used to pay it of course) but if it's £7 for a kid today then that would translate in 1974 prices as 75p and I am sure that would not have been the price (it was £1 for an adult's cup final ticket that year!)
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A trip down memory lane..   A trip down memory lane.. EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 9:42 am

Babs on Pasoti done a really good price comparison a couple of years back that basically said we were being ripped off!

I see on Pasoti there's a thread regarding our Wembley appearance being on YouTube, does anyone have the YouTube link for it?
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: A trip down memory lane..   A trip down memory lane.. EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 10:23 am

GOB wrote:
Babs on Pasoti done a really good price comparison a couple of years back that basically said we were being ripped off!

I see on Pasoti there's a thread regarding our Wembley appearance being on YouTube, does anyone have the YouTube link for it?

Nope. Can't find it either.

I've got the official video ................... Ronnie Mauge ! lol!

I remember having a letter published in the Herald, pleading with the club to use the victory as a springboard, back Warnock and not miss yet another pivotal moment.

35 k Greens turned up, indicating the potential for support.

Guess what happened next Rolling Eyes
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A trip down memory lane..   A trip down memory lane.. EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 10:39 am

Is it available on DVD then?
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: A trip down memory lane..   A trip down memory lane.. EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 10:43 am

GOB wrote:

Don't know but I'm sure I've got it on video.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A trip down memory lane..   A trip down memory lane.. EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 10:46 am

Yeah I think I have, the problem is that the video player was booted years ago.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: A trip down memory lane..   A trip down memory lane.. EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 11:05 am

GOB wrote:
Yeah I think I have, the problem is that the video player was booted years ago.

Ha ha ! You should put these items in a box in the loft.

I have a reel to reel cassette player up there, with my good self, singing Woodstock covers with the college band in 1970 !

Pity it's not a video or DVD...................... hair past shoulders, patchwork jacket of many colours, cowboy boots outside jeans................... afro
Back to top Go down
swampy

PostSubject: Re: A trip down memory lane..   A trip down memory lane.. EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 11:55 am

GOB wrote:
I got all my old Argyle videos copied on to DVD's.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: A trip down memory lane..   A trip down memory lane.. EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 12:32 pm

swampy wrote:
GOB wrote:
I got all my old Argyle videos copied on to DVD's.

I keep on meaning to do that.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A trip down memory lane..   A trip down memory lane.. EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 1:16 pm

The 3-0 QPR game showed this as a related link on Youtube:

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

That must have been taken in the period the Devonport roof was down.

To think 40,000 could fit in there.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: A trip down memory lane..   A trip down memory lane.. EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 1:54 pm

I was one of the 40k plus at the FA Cup game against the double winning Spurs side in '61. Even once played golf with our goalscorer that day.
When I watch footage on ESPN Classic of great games with packed, swaying terraces, it brings back many happy and just a few worrying memories but on balance, a strictly monitored numbers control on the terraces would be great for atmosphere and the game in general.
The tragic events at Hillsborough were more down to pitch side fencing/ penning in than anything else.
Do they not still have terracing in Germany ?
We could do well to have a long, hard look at their systems including club ownership/ salary caps etc.
Or is it just a coincidence that as a national team they seem to be getting it right ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: A trip down memory lane..   A trip down memory lane.. EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 2:00 pm

The German model is interesting, though actually there's a few of them, that kind of work together in different degrees. Mind you, this lot look a bit serious for my liking. In fact, the Supervisory Boards in German industry are somewhat different to what I suspect many fans expect for the GASB. They can even hire and fire the management board staff Wink

My earliest memory of a big game at HP is the time Santos visited. I also remember a few moments from the Man City game which I think was the season after, and have a recollection we got half a day off school for it. Such a long time ago. How different HP is now.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: A trip down memory lane..   A trip down memory lane.. EmptyThu Feb 02, 2012 2:45 pm

Tim Chown wrote:
The German model is interesting, though actually there's a few of them, that kind of work together in different degrees. Mind you, this lot look a bit serious for my liking. In fact, the Supervisory Boards in German industry are somewhat different to what I suspect many fans expect for the GASB. They can even hire and fire the management board staff Wink

My earliest memory of a big game at HP is the time Santos visited. I also remember a few moments from the Man City game which I think was the season after, and have a recollection we got half a day off school for it. Such a long time ago. How different HP is now.

Yeh........... after progressing from the Devonport and becoming young men, we preferred the Lyndhurst. Always a crackling atmosphere for midweek matches. A pasty, cup of tea and a roll up.......... bliss !
Have always remembered an old boy who used to stand near us. He always leapt in the air shouting ' HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO !' when we crossed into the box ! Still makes me smile now......... bless him.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: A trip down memory lane..   A trip down memory lane.. Empty

Back to top Go down

A trip down memory lane..
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next