Chemical Ali
Mock Cuncher
downthetrack
pepsipete
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage

Do you have a second team? - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Do you have a second team?   Do you have a second team? - Page 3 EmptyWed 25 Jan - 23:37

GOB wrote:
Greenjock wrote:
Scotland. So I could never be accused of being a glory-hunter.

Jock, are you actually a Scot? How did you end up supporting Argyle?

My father was a coal miner in Ayrshire, but moved to Nottingham to work in the 60's. Thats where he met my mother, and they ended up going back to Scotland for a while when she was pregnant with me. When I was about a year old they moved back to Nottingham, and later down to Cornwall where he worked in the tin mines. I was always football daft and he used to let me watch Sportsnight on Wednesdays if I went to bed early, he would then wake me up to watch the matches.

He never pushed me, I just always preferred Scotland, and he took me to a few games in Scotland, Rangers v Celtic, Ayr V Kilmarnock, and a few Hibs games.

We went to quite a few Forest games when visiting mums family, late seventies/early eighties, so saw Forest in their pomp several times, and then I eventually went to an Argyle game when I was 13 and was hooked.

My dad was a Hibs fan, but would go to a few Argyle games with me, we went to most games in the cup run 83-84, but he mainly went to Scotland International games whenever he could persuade my mum to let him loose for a few days. He hitchhiked from Cornwall to Liverpool for the World Cup qualifier against Wales when Scotland qualified for the 78 World Cup, and would regularly take a chance on getting a ticket for games and always got lucky.

As I started going to Argyle games more regularly, there were quite a few of my mates going as well, and I've never been interested in watching anyone else for years now. Went to a few Newcastle games with a mate who used to get dragged all over the country with the rest of the Argyle boys, and had some good times, but it's only ever been Argyle since the early 80's.
Back to top Go down
Nick

Nick

PostSubject: Re: Do you have a second team?   Do you have a second team? - Page 3 EmptyWed 25 Jan - 23:37

The wife's a Canary and I've watched Notch so often over the years, on the telly or at HP/Carrow Road (mostly on the telly) that they could almost be my second team. And to be fair, they tend to play very entertaining football, have a top stadium, great support (if you discount that ridiculous song) and plenty of decent pubs to go to when they're at home. But... no thanks. Just the Argyle, cheers.
Back to top Go down
Mapperley, darling

Mapperley, darling

PostSubject: Re: Do you have a second team?   Do you have a second team? - Page 3 EmptyThu 26 Jan - 14:17

Greenjock wrote:
Sneinton Green wrote:
gedling miners welfare are my local team at the mo, i do see cambridge, got a few mates that support them, actually the last two seasons ive seen them more than argo

My grandfather, father and uncle all worked at Gedling pit Sneinton. My Gran still lives in Gedling and my Uncle in Carlton. Off there for a couple of days on Thursday or Friday and taking in the Port Vale game. Taking my cousin from Nottingham to show him praaaaper football. He's a United fan Sleep

im too skint to go, shame, would be good to meet up. i also follow the tartan army, after a spell living up there, and of course being Cornish, i cant stand england!
Back to top Go down
http://www.nicegarden.co.uk

PostSubject: Re: Do you have a second team?   Do you have a second team? - Page 3 EmptyThu 26 Jan - 15:14

Shame, would have been good to have gone together, instead of drowning in a sea of Aviva's jocolor

Sometimes I'm not sure if I want Scotland to win as much as I want England to lose at football. Can't stand the arrogance of people like Rooney, Terry and Ashley Cole, and they just keep ballsing it up when the pressures on.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do you have a second team?   Do you have a second team? - Page 3 EmptyThu 26 Jan - 15:31

Second team is now Chelsea. My mate was a fan since 6 or 7 years old and for the past 10 years he has got tickets for around 5 games a season out of which I attend the lot. Atmosphere is always good and seats are invariably in the Shed End. Nearly all Category A games. Still minor trouble at some matches which seems to go unreported, although 2 seasons ago there was major violence after a Liverpool game as game ended.

Have to say also that I always look for the Argyle result. It was how most Exeter lads were brought up in the 80s. "How did Argyle get on?" "They lost" "Fantastic".

I know you lot don't really think about us much but it really is, is our blood to want you to lose. And I am one of the milder ones who think that way.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do you have a second team?   Do you have a second team? - Page 3 EmptyThu 26 Jan - 15:56

If we lose I look to see if City have lost, just to take something from the weekend Razz
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do you have a second team?   Do you have a second team? - Page 3 EmptyThu 26 Jan - 16:46

Greenjock wrote:
If we lose I look to see if City have lost, just to take something from the weekend Razz

Jock, we never score so losing happens quite regularly. Glad you are enjoying your weekends.

What really does piss me off is when I see Argyle 2 nil down yet manage a draw or a last minute winner, or worse still you are 1 nil down and get a last minute equaliser. It has happened too much this season and is buggering up my happiness mate.

sort it out
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do you have a second team?   Do you have a second team? - Page 3 EmptyThu 26 Jan - 16:48

Off to the sh*thole up the road on saturday! Come on Charlton!
Back to top Go down
a39er

PostSubject: Re: Do you have a second team?   Do you have a second team? - Page 3 EmptyThu 26 Jan - 16:49

I'm about to move to Scotland, so need to get a second one really. Going to be close-ish to Edinburgh so whaddya think guys and gals - Hearts or Hibs?
Back to top Go down
Charlie Wood

Charlie Wood

PostSubject: Re: Do you have a second team?   Do you have a second team? - Page 3 EmptyThu 26 Jan - 17:06

Depends which side of Embra you're going. If to the north then, after Argyle, you might feel more at home going to Kirkcaldy to see the mighty Raith Rovers Smile
Back to top Go down
a39er

PostSubject: Re: Do you have a second team?   Do you have a second team? - Page 3 EmptyThu 26 Jan - 17:07

I'm moving to Peebles, which is south of Edinburgh. Berwick Rangers is only an hour and a half away, but it's a bugger of a drive...
Back to top Go down
pepsipete

pepsipete

PostSubject: Re: Do you have a second team?   Do you have a second team? - Page 3 EmptyThu 26 Jan - 17:14

a39er wrote:
I'm about to move to Scotland, so need to get a second one really. Going to be close-ish to Edinburgh so whaddya think guys and gals - Hearts or Hibs?

Hibs, they play in green.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do you have a second team?   Do you have a second team? - Page 3 EmptyThu 26 Jan - 17:15

Hibees, my dad was a huge fan even though he was from Ayr. And just read any Irvine Welsh book, the Jambos are shiiiiiiiite and run by a despot nearly as bad as the Pasoti mods.
Back to top Go down
Mapperley, darling

Mapperley, darling

PostSubject: Re: Do you have a second team?   Do you have a second team? - Page 3 EmptyFri 27 Jan - 9:19

a39er wrote:

went to hibs when i first moved there, but they were worse than argyle, so ended up at tynie, season ticket holder, watched european games.

not sure about the chants, hibs fans are called highbees, and hearts are either jambo's or tinies, hello hello we are the tiny boys!
Back to top Go down
http://www.nicegarden.co.uk
LondonGreen

LondonGreen

PostSubject: Re: Do you have a second team?   Do you have a second team? - Page 3 EmptyFri 27 Jan - 10:25

As odd as it may seem, I am 'sadly' Chelsea through and through (London born and bred). But on a trip down to Devon, me and my Dad paid up to see Argyle play Luton (with the fat wanker Kinnear in charge...think it was the 01/02 season???) and we won 3-1 if my mind remembers correctly. Atmosphere was electric (was sitting in the Lyndy of all places Laughing ) and havent looked back since. Am now proud to say I am blue and green through and through

Bring on the plastic insults... Wink
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Do you have a second team?   Do you have a second team? - Page 3 EmptyFri 27 Jan - 11:05

LondonGreen wrote:
As odd as it may seem, I am 'sadly' Chelsea through and through (London born and bred). But on a trip down to Devon, me and my Dad paid up to see Argyle play Luton (with the fat wanker Kinnear in charge...think it was the 01/02 season???) and we won 3-1 if my mind remembers correctly. Atmosphere was electric (was sitting in the Lyndy of all places Laughing ) and havent looked back since. Am now proud to say I am blue and green through and through

Bring on the plastic insults... Wink

You won't get any on here Landan Green. Keep taking the tablets .
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do you have a second team?   Do you have a second team? - Page 3 EmptyFri 27 Jan - 13:06

I always look for the Gulls results as I was actually born in Torquay. Crying or Very sad I left there when very young and have only actually been to Torquay following Argyle but as it appears on my birth certificate I always look out for their results, happy when they win but only when they are below us, bleddy tables upside down. Always look for Schitty results and love it when they lose, as someone else said that can soften the blow of a defeat.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do you have a second team?   Do you have a second team? - Page 3 Empty

Back to top Go down

Do you have a second team?
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3