Chemical Ali
Mock Cuncher
downthetrack
pepsipete
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage

Do you have a second team? - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Do you have a second team?   Do you have a second team? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 24, 2012 10:22 am

As others have said, I couldn't care less about any football teams apart from ours. I couldn't care less about England or any of it ... it's just an industry that was alwys a bit unpleasant, and has got a whole lot worse. And to be honest the Argyle thing to me has always been Central park, memories, family and friend connections, and the chance to watch a sport I loved to play. Unfortunately the last lot have certainly dented my connection, and it certainly will take a whole lot of 'integrity' to get it back like it was. the games of the superfans are not helping in that regard... I've never known people connected to the club acting as they do .... where's the integrity in that ?
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do you have a second team?   Do you have a second team? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 24, 2012 10:26 am

I used to be a big England fan, I even went to a World Cup without a ticket, but I can't be arsed with the useless superheros that show no passion and whose talent is no better then average when it comes down to international standard.

Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do you have a second team?   Do you have a second team? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 24, 2012 10:28 am

penzancepirate wrote:
I've never known people connected to the club acting as they do .... where's the integrity in that ?

Exactly, it's the reason why this site needs to exist and why one or two that lack that integrity would like to see it closed.
Back to top Go down
PlymptonPilgrim
Admin
PlymptonPilgrim

PostSubject: Re: Do you have a second team?   Do you have a second team? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 24, 2012 10:34 am

Whilst always being an Argyle fan, I used to enjoy watching football on the tv, no matter who it was. I didn't really have a second team as such, but I went to White Hart Lane a few times during my youth, so I suppose Spurs would come into that category.

Like others though, I've fallen out of love with the game over the last few years. When the media fawns over characters like Rooney and Terry, there's something wrong somewhere.
Back to top Go down
akagreengull
Admin
akagreengull

PostSubject: Re: Do you have a second team?   Do you have a second team? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 24, 2012 10:36 am

Argyle are my team always will be and I go to most home matches,but I enjoy the match day experience and given I live less than 5 miles from Plainmoor I go and cheer on the Gulls mainly when Argyle are playing away.Will probably go tonight and hopefully witness the Gulls victorious against the Daggers.Think there will be a few Argyle fans cheering on Torquay in the next two games given they are playing Northampton on Saturday also.So yes I do have a second team.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do you have a second team?   Do you have a second team? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 24, 2012 11:04 am

akagreengull wrote:
Argyle are my team always will be and I go to most home matches,but I enjoy the match day experience and given I live less than 5 miles from Plainmoor I go and cheer on the Gulls mainly when Argyle are playing away.Will probably go tonight and hopefully witness the Gulls victorious against the Daggers.Think there will be a few Argyle fans cheering on Torquay in the next two games given they are playing Northampton on Saturday also.So yes I do have a second team.

I'll certainly be following the Gulls next two games - would have gone to Plainmoor tonight wearing my Argyle top perhaps, had I not had to pick my dear wife up from Bristol Airport.
Back to top Go down
Lord Tisdale

Lord Tisdale

PostSubject: Re: Do you have a second team?   Do you have a second team? - Page 2 EmptyTue Jan 24, 2012 3:27 pm

Exeter City Reserves, the youth team followed by the ladies.

I don't have a second team as such, I watch quite a lot of football and must admit to gaining a certain affection for some of them over a period of time, especially where the playing staffs are a bit more constant.

David Jack was the first £10.000 footballer but I had no idea he scored the first goal in a Wembley Cup Final, and of course me names not Cobi.

Back to top Go down
Mapperley, darling

Mapperley, darling

PostSubject: Re: Do you have a second team?   Do you have a second team? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 11:21 am

gedling miners welfare are my local team at the mo, i do see cambridge, got a few mates that support them, actually the last two seasons ive seen them more than argo
Back to top Go down
http://www.nicegarden.co.uk
Mapperley, darling

Mapperley, darling

PostSubject: Re: Do you have a second team?   Do you have a second team? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 11:21 am

aaaaam naaat a praaaaper faaaan
Back to top Go down
http://www.nicegarden.co.uk

PostSubject: Re: Do you have a second team?   Do you have a second team? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 12:19 pm

Sneinton Green wrote:
gedling miners welfare are my local team at the mo, i do see cambridge, got a few mates that support them, actually the last two seasons ive seen them more than argo

My grandfather, father and uncle all worked at Gedling pit Sneinton. My Gran still lives in Gedling and my Uncle in Carlton. Off there for a couple of days on Thursday or Friday and taking in the Port Vale game. Taking my cousin from Nottingham to show him praaaaper football. He's a United fan Sleep
Back to top Go down
Charlie Wood

Charlie Wood

PostSubject: Re: Do you have a second team?   Do you have a second team? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 6:47 pm

To my great surprise given the Sky/Premier League/Plastics scenario of the last 20 years it was actually de rigeur back in the 60's, if you were a reader of Charlie Buchan's Football Monthly to have a 1st Div team to support. I picked Birmingham City because I rather liked the royal blue kit. I even got a club tiepin. They had an interesting team at the time, I remember Barry Bridges, Fred Pickering and Jim Herriot (the inspiration for that vet's nom de plume) in goal.

Trouble was we drew them at home in the League Cup, I think, and for a young boy I was subject to great confusion at the match. I think they (we Laughing ) won 0-2 but the object lesson was, actually, you could only support one team...I just chose the wrong one!
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

PostSubject: Re: Do you have a second team?   Do you have a second team? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 7:05 pm

Charlie Wood wrote:
To my great surprise given the Sky/Premier League/Plastics scenario of the last 20 years it was actually de rigeur back in the 60's, if you were a reader of Charlie Buchan's Football Monthly to have a 1st Div team to support. I picked Birmingham City because I rather liked the royal blue kit. I even got a club tiepin. They had an interesting team at the time, I remember Barry Bridges, Fred Pickering and Jim Herriot (the inspiration for that vet's nom de plume) in goal.

Trouble was we drew them at home in the League Cup, I think, and for a young boy I was subject to great confusion at the match. I think they (we Laughing ) won 0-2 but the object lesson was, actually, you could only support one team...I just chose the wrong one!

Ha ha ! me too. Should've stuck with Bolton.

Have you noticed how wherever you are in the world and people are gathered round a Sky Premiership live game[ everyone seems to support one of the top clubs] and you just sit and smile, they always ask who you support.
When you reply, 'Plymouth Argyle', they say,'they're crap aren't they?'............... 'Yes they are'. Nothing more to say really.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do you have a second team?   Do you have a second team? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 7:14 pm

I was on holiday in Denmark when Argyle played Cardiff live on telly (late August 2008, this was). Having found an 'English' pub with a telly, my friend and I wandered along to watch it. Two blokes at the next table were thrilled: they'd never met a real life Argyle fan before, let alone two, so they adopted us and became supporters.

At half time, they sloped off.
Back to top Go down
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Do you have a second team?   Do you have a second team? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 7:24 pm

Charlie Wood wrote:

Charlie Buchan's Football Monthly,now that brings back memories.I've probably still got some of them strewn around the attic,really must sort all of this nostalgic stuff out one day.Remember the "Football League Review" that used to come free with the programme? Wasn't a bad read actually.And you're exactly right about people following first division teams back in those times,the plastic syndrome is nothing new and anyway is overstated as a cause of the Argyle malaise.My golfing mate takes little interest in Argyle but when he was a bhey back in the 1960's used to go to watch clubs like Pompey and Derby-i know loads of people who have always followed Man U,Liverpool etc and take no interest in Argyle.As a rider to Tring's post,if you ask them why,phrases such as "never done anything","tinpot club" etc always seem to crop up.I'll never forget when i was getting quite excited early in the 2007/8 season that this could be the year when Argyle finally made it,my golfing mate said cynically that "it'll be too hot for Argyle to handle".How right he was.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do you have a second team?   Do you have a second team? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 8:00 pm

Argyle, before anyone, always

Always look out for Charlton & Liverpool's results though, but unlike argyle it doesnt upset me when they lose!
Back to top Go down
125+1

125+1

PostSubject: Re: Do you have a second team?   Do you have a second team? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 8:13 pm

monti czardas wrote:
Argyle, before anyone, always

Always look out for Charlton & Liverpool's results though, but unlike argyle it doesnt upset me when they lose!

Same i was a huge liverpool fan in the 90's but the Argyle bug took over when i went to my first match. Watching the mighty reds now, but not really bothered to much with them anymore, always Argyle
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do you have a second team?   Do you have a second team? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 8:18 pm

Scotland. So I could never be accused of being a glory-hunter.
Back to top Go down
Charlie Wood

Charlie Wood

PostSubject: Re: Do you have a second team?   Do you have a second team? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 8:55 pm

There is one thing about being an Argyle supporter that is incomparable and that's Steve Dean's Greensonscreen website, + Trev naturally. I looked up the match I referred to above to see it was the day after my 14th birthday in that shitiest (is that 2 t's in the middle, it's not in the dictionary?) of shit seasons 1967/8, my first relegation season...rubbish but I learnt to moan at an early age! i should defo have stuck with Birmingham.

On a happier note I did note the day before my 12th birthday I had seen us tonk them 6-1 with a Mike Trebilcock hat trick. Why do I remember that match...the only game I've ever watched from the grandstand.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do you have a second team?   Do you have a second team? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 9:01 pm

The only game I watched from the grandstand was the freezing second half of the snow abandoned Bradford game ( 80s/70s ? and the return of Burrows ? )
An attendance of less than 3000 I believe, and us hardy souls were invited up into the grandstand second half to keep us all warm.
Poor view, no smell of sweat and and liniment.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do you have a second team?   Do you have a second team? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 9:09 pm

Exeter, purely as they are local. Never been that interested in Torquay though for some strange reason.

I despise anything to do with the premier league though
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do you have a second team?   Do you have a second team? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 9:12 pm

penzancepirate wrote:
The only game I watched from the grandstand was the freezing second half of the snow abandoned Bradford game ( 80s/70s ? and the return of Burrows ? )
An attendance of less than 3000 I believe, and us hardy souls were invited up into the grandstand second half to keep us all warm.
Poor view, no smell of sweat and and liniment.

1978 I seem to remember. We were winning 1-0 when it was abandoned in a blizzard. Went on to win the re-arranged fixture 6-0 at the end of the season.

Real winters Very Happy I used to love 'em !
Back to top Go down
Mock Cuncher

Mock Cuncher

PostSubject: Re: Do you have a second team?   Do you have a second team? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 9:28 pm

Charlie Wood wrote:

My mother's half of the family are Bluenoses and when they first got promoted I looked out for them. They're a down to earth bunch and have a good song.
Back to top Go down
http://wrongunatlongon.wordpress.com/
Greenskin

Greenskin

PostSubject: Re: Do you have a second team?   Do you have a second team? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 9:34 pm

Charlie Wood wrote:
There is one thing about being an Argyle supporter that is incomparable and that's Steve Dean's Greensonscreen website, + Trev naturally. I looked up the match I referred to above to see it was the day after my 14th birthday in that shitiest (is that 2 t's in the middle, it's not in the dictionary?) of shit seasons 1967/8, my first relegation season...rubbish but I learnt to moan at an early age! i should defo have stuck with Birmingham.

On a happier note I did note the day before my 12th birthday I had seen us tonk them 6-1 with a Mike Trebilcock hat trick. Why do I remember that match...the only game I've ever watched from the grandstand.

67/68 was a shit season and a real eye opener for me.Argyle had always been a second division team in the years that i'd been a fan and, in my innocence,i thought that would always be the case.Seven relegations later............. What a Face
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

PostSubject: Re: Do you have a second team?   Do you have a second team? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 10:21 pm

The wife's family are all Charlton fans so I always look out for their results, but thats all.

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Do you have a second team?   Do you have a second team? - Page 2 EmptyWed Jan 25, 2012 10:59 pm

Greenjock wrote:
Scotland. So I could never be accused of being a glory-hunter.

Jock, are you actually a Scot? How did you end up supporting Argyle?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Do you have a second team?   Do you have a second team? - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Do you have a second team?
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next