Plymouth Argyle Talk - Democratic

The 'ONLY' Independent Internet Forum for Argyle Fans

HomeHome  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Romain Larrieu, Our academys system are coached by the same under-achievers

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Tgwu

Romain Larrieu, Our academys system are coached by the same under-achievers  Empty
PostSubject: Romain Larrieu, Our academys system are coached by the same under-achievers    Romain Larrieu, Our academys system are coached by the same under-achievers  EmptyThu Oct 20, 2016 1:31 pm

Romain Larrieu and family leaves Plymouth (Dartmoor) for Italy, and expressing very strong opinion on English football

DURING a wide-ranging conversation covering a number of topics including Plymouth Argyle, the 'crazy' money awash in the game, just why he believes Paul Pogba will become the world's best footballer, and the importance of family life, Romain Larrieu told me he had never really lost his love for both the game nor for his beloved Pilgrims.

If any of the footballers who have graced Home Park since the turn of the century can be labelled a legend, then surely Frenchman Larrieu, who served Argyle for 13 years as goalkeeper, coach and ambassador, is deserving of the title.

Now living in Italy, a country which knows a thing or two about football, the 40-year-old said he wouldn't dream of offering Pilgrims manager Derek Adams any advice except to urge the Scot to 'hang on to the irreplaceable' Graham Carey at all costs, if that is possible.

"Argyle's is the first result I look to wherever I am, and over here in Italy, it's no different," said Larrieu from his new family home near Venice.

"I have so much affection for Plymouth, the club and the south west, which is only natural seeing as I lived there for so long.

"I got my first start in the professional game at Plymouth under a wonderful Scots manager (Paul Sturrock), who believed in me when others didn't, including myself, probably.

"So I was gutted that Argyle were not promoted automatically, let alone through the play-offs, at the end of last season.

"But this manager has put together a really good team and last year's disappointment of missing out on promotion, would appear from a distance, at least, to have been put behind them."

Once you start Larrieu on Argyle, there is no stopping him. Despite his laid back and generous nature, he is passionate on the subject.

"It's clear to me and to just about everyone else that team spirit, self-belief and keeping Carey happy both on and off the pitch, are key to the club's ambitions," he said.

"I do not like to single players out for special praise as football is a team game and I've always prided myself on being a team player, as I'm sure Carey is, too.

"But what impressed me about him (Carey) is that he stayed at Plymouth when other clubs were clearly interested, so he's clearly a loyal man, as well as being an excellent footballer.

"The only other bit of advice I'd offer the current Argyle gaffer is to give Carey the freedom of the park, for I don't think that will disrupt the playing pattern, if he wants to play that way, of course.

"So, summing up, yes, it is nice looking at the League (Two) table now and with an unbeaten league run to boast about, too.

"But as I'm certain wise heads like Adams, Wottsie (Paul Wotton), and others on the coaching staff, plus my former goalkeeping rival Luke (McCormick) will keep drumming it into all and sundry, we were in the same position last year (2015-16) and we know what happened then.

"It's a long, hard campaign and players will lose form and fitness, believe me, I know I've been there in the past, and one minute you are number one, then comes the slide.

"Hopefully, that won't happen this season, for Argyle, I don't think we could stand another year in this division.

"Plymouth has fantastically loyal fans, as I know only too well, both professionally and personally, and I am proud to be a member of the Green Army. Even in exile," he laughed.

And on the topic of exile, Larrieu confirmed Italy, oh, lucky man, had always been in his thoughts once he retired from the game.

Despite his loyalty to England and, of course, his beloved France, the Larrieus, wife Penny and their two young sons, are determined to make a fist of it in the beautiful region of Veneto.

"Basically, we have come out here hoping to find work and make a go of it," said Larrieu, who was born in Mont-de-Marsan, Les Landes in South West France, but who grew up in the La Rochelle region.

"Penny speaks better Italian than me, which is a help, of course, but we're staying with friends, who have been here a lot longer.

"We were both very happy in Devon, but decided that if we did want to make a move, now would be the time and, well, Venice is beyond beautiful, both architecturally and spiritually.

"And, of course, the Italians know about their football and winning in particular.

"As in most countries on the continent, for the want of a better phrase, they are taught the correct way to play, with the ball, learning how to control it, pass it to a team-mate, a good apprenticeship before you get into competitive matches.

"In England it is completely different, it seems, to me, and I mean no disrespect to the guys I know who have worked hard at their game.

"But, you only have to watch the national team to realise how uneasy they are on the ball – just look at the recent World Cup and European Championships, if you doubt me.

"That's not because English players are inferior in terms of physique or intelligence, but because of the system – even good hard-working Premier League players have really poor technique, compared to the French, Italians, Germans and so on.

"I disapprove strongly of the academy system in England: it's all work and no play with the youngsters being coached by the same under-achievers who are drilling the same failed policies into them.

"And the clubs tie the boys down to contracts which forbids them to play for anyone else, even with their mates' teams on a Saturday.

"It's a terrible shame and a complete waste of talent, time and resources."

Larrieu wasn't surprised bookies' favourites France lost out to Portugal in the final of Euro 2016.

"No, just disappointed, really," he said.

"We (France) still produce fabulous players and, in my opinion, possibly the greatest in terms of potential in Paul Pogba, but Portugal had Ronaldo, whom I believe is still the best striker in the world, even when he is not fully fit, and proved what team-work can achieve.

"But Pogba, like Ronaldo, has talent to spare and has the same work ethic, and in the end the doubters will have to say that Manchester United have bought (back) a real world-class footballer."

(Taken from Brent local rag)
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

Romain Larrieu, Our academys system are coached by the same under-achievers  Empty
PostSubject: Re: Romain Larrieu, Our academys system are coached by the same under-achievers    Romain Larrieu, Our academys system are coached by the same under-achievers  EmptyThu Oct 20, 2016 2:16 pm

And another leaves the Trust.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Romain Larrieu, Our academys system are coached by the same under-achievers    Romain Larrieu, Our academys system are coached by the same under-achievers  EmptyThu Oct 20, 2016 2:35 pm

Very little you can say about Romain that hasn't been said before. Top top bloke, in every respect.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Romain Larrieu, Our academys system are coached by the same under-achievers    Romain Larrieu, Our academys system are coached by the same under-achievers  EmptyThu Oct 20, 2016 3:31 pm

Still my number one keeper
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

PostSubject: Re: Romain Larrieu, Our academys system are coached by the same under-achievers    Romain Larrieu, Our academys system are coached by the same under-achievers  EmptyThu Oct 20, 2016 4:45 pm

Czarcasm wrote:
Very little you can say about Romain that hasn't been said before. Top top bloke, in every respect.

He is a top bloke indeed and deserves all the respect he gets regarding Argyle.
Back to top Go down
Dane

Dane

PostSubject: Re: Romain Larrieu, Our academys system are coached by the same under-achievers    Romain Larrieu, Our academys system are coached by the same under-achievers  EmptyThu Nov 03, 2016 4:40 pm

But wrong about the academy coaches, bit harsh calling them underachievers!!!! Since when did you need a glittering professional career to be a good coach? perhaps his soon being released has something to do with the above comments

Quote :
"And the clubs tie the boys down to contracts which forbids them to play for anyone else, even with their mates' teams on a Saturday.

Although i do agree with that this is wrong and have been saying the same for years.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Romain Larrieu, Our academys system are coached by the same under-achievers    Romain Larrieu, Our academys system are coached by the same under-achievers  Empty

Back to top Go down

Romain Larrieu, Our academys system are coached by the same under-achievers
Page 1 of 1