tigertony
Les Miserable
Czarcasm
Hitch
17 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage

Portsmouth 6.57 firm - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Portsmouth 6.57 firm   Portsmouth 6.57 firm - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 15, 2016 5:10 pm

Freathy wrote:
Coxside_Green wrote:
Freathy wrote:
Coxside_Green wrote:
The pic above is 1980 league cup.  '83 pics are in colour and nothing like the above took place, it was more running battles in the Lyndy...

Yep.  It's deffo not the Battle of Home Park 1983.  The Lyndhurst was fenced back then (as was the Demport & Barn Park).

I think fencing came because of '83, we were always lagging.

There was definitely fencing when we played Pompey in 1983.  I was at that match and there was no Pompey fans on the pitch because of the fences.  Most of the Pompey fans were in the Devonport and the Barn Park all fenced in and there were also loads in the Mayflower, which may have had a fence too.  Some Argo fans couldn't escape a pompey charge in the Lyndy because of the fence!  
There were loads on the pitch playing football etc. also running from Lyndhurst across to the mayflower.
Back to top Go down
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

PostSubject: Re: Portsmouth 6.57 firm   Portsmouth 6.57 firm - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 15, 2016 5:46 pm

Anybody get chinned today then?
Back to top Go down
pilgrimfather

PostSubject: Re: Portsmouth 6.57 firm   Portsmouth 6.57 firm - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 15, 2016 5:46 pm

Hitch wrote:
I was in Pompey a few days ago on business and happened to be introduced to some 'old school' supporters. Apparently when Argyle last visited Fratton Park there was a bad incident at one of the local pubs when one or more of our fans hurled bottles through a window which hit a young girl in the face causing severe injury. A large number of the old 6.57 firm are apparently heading down to Home Park this Saturday with only one thing on their agenda. I hope it doesn't materialise of course but thought it best to warn any of you guys going to the game.

I think you can file that under 'things that didn't happen.
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

PostSubject: Re: Portsmouth 6.57 firm   Portsmouth 6.57 firm - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 15, 2016 7:50 pm

harvetheslayer wrote:
VillageGreen wrote:
Les Miserable wrote:
Ere, ave a bit of wheelchair.

[You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Ha, I am in that photo. Only 18 years old back then. The beastly Pompey hoardes certainly had a grand day out that day !!.

I see the old bill have warned fans to behave or face a fve year banning order. When did D & C become judge and jury then ?.

Pretty sure I am as well although dont recongnise the guy beside me. Middlish top right with knotted scarf around neck in lightish coloured shirt. I'm certain its me.

Fair play on spotting you may be in the photo.

I am to the left (about halfway down) in the photo, well my face. My then mate is standing in front of me. The deckchair bottom leg is slightly covering my mates upper left arm. The guy behind myself has light coloured hair and wearing a scarf. To my right in the photo there is another guy who has his face covered by the deckchair leg supports.

Man, that was another lifetime ago. Where have the years gone since that May day in '83.

The designer label clothes were being worn by the Argyle boys back then too. The days of the bovver boot boys were over, replaced by trendier hooligans.

Last edited by VillageGreen on Sat Oct 15, 2016 8:10 pm; edited 2 times in total
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Portsmouth 6.57 firm   Portsmouth 6.57 firm - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 15, 2016 8:04 pm

Can't say I remember the occasion with any affection.

It was full-on proper scary.

It's a miracle nobody was killed.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
Les Miserable

Les Miserable

PostSubject: Re: Portsmouth 6.57 firm   Portsmouth 6.57 firm - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 15, 2016 8:36 pm

VillageGreen wrote:
harvetheslayer wrote:
VillageGreen wrote:
Les Miserable wrote:

Ha, I am in that photo. Only 18 years old back then. The beastly Pompey hoardes certainly had a grand day out that day !!.

I see the old bill have warned fans to behave or face a fve year banning order. When did D & C become judge and jury then ?.

Pretty sure I am as well although dont recongnise the guy beside me. Middlish top right with knotted scarf around neck in lightish coloured shirt. I'm certain its me.

I am to the left (about halfway down) in the photo, well my face. My then mate is standing in front of me. The deckchair bottom leg is slightly covering my mates upper left arm. The guy behind myself has light coloured hair and wearing a scarf. To my right in the photo there is another guy who has his face covered by the deckchair leg supports.

Man, that was another lifetime ago. Where have the years gone since that May day in '83.

The designer label clothes were being worn by the Argyle boys back then too.  The days of the bovver boot boys were over, replaced by trendier hooligans.

The school of thought is that the above picture is not from the so called 'battle of home park' in 1983......are you sure it's you Village.
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Portsmouth 6.57 firm   Portsmouth 6.57 firm - Page 2 EmptySat Oct 15, 2016 11:31 pm

Freathy wrote:
Coxside_Green wrote:
The pic above is 1980 league cup.  '83 pics are in colour and nothing like the above took place, it was more running battles in the Lyndy...

The fashion suggests 83.

Yep. It's deffo not the Battle of Home Park 1983. The Lyndhurst was fenced back then (as was the Demport & Barn Park).
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: Portsmouth 6.57 firm   Portsmouth 6.57 firm - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 16, 2016 1:01 am

Hugh Watt wrote:
Freathy wrote:
Coxside_Green wrote:

The fashion suggests 83.

Yep.  It's deffo not the Battle of Home Park 1983.  The Lyndhurst was fenced back then (as was the Demport & Barn Park).

Then where is the missing Lyndhurst fence that should be in that photo? It was there in 1983 when we played Pompey.
Back to top Go down
Coxside_Green

PostSubject: Re: Portsmouth 6.57 firm   Portsmouth 6.57 firm - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 16, 2016 7:34 am

VillageGreen wrote:
harvetheslayer wrote:
VillageGreen wrote:
Les Miserable wrote:

The designer label clothes were being worn by the Argyle boys back then too.  The days of the bovver boot boys were over, replaced by trendier hooligans.

Again, that is almost certainly 1980 League Cup match (if not then it's the league match the following season). Most of those Pompey fans were the last of the skinheads sporting Fred Perry, Ben Sherman etc. It was the crossover era from bovver boys to what we now know as casuals (trendies back in 1980). To the right of that pic there' was a lad on top of the fence smashing any Pompey that came near him with his crash helmet.

I'm trying to upload a pic from '83 without success at the moment. Guess I'm going to have to use a file host.
Back to top Go down
Coxside_Green

PostSubject: Re: Portsmouth 6.57 firm   Portsmouth 6.57 firm - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 16, 2016 7:57 am

Can anyone recommend a file host please?
Back to top Go down
bigface

PostSubject: Re: Portsmouth 6.57 firm   Portsmouth 6.57 firm - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 16, 2016 8:12 am

My memory is of no fences as a large number of Argyle fans ran across the pitch from Lyndhurst to Mayflower.

I watched the whole game from the tunnel under the main grandstand, then scarpered after the final whistle. There were girls fighting too. Never seen owt like it.
Back to top Go down
Coxside_Green

PostSubject: Re: Portsmouth 6.57 firm   Portsmouth 6.57 firm - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 16, 2016 8:14 am

Final whistle, no fences.

Back to top Go down
bigface

PostSubject: Re: Portsmouth 6.57 firm   Portsmouth 6.57 firm - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 16, 2016 8:17 am

That's about where I watched the match from ^^^^
Back to top Go down
Coxside_Green

PostSubject: Re: Portsmouth 6.57 firm   Portsmouth 6.57 firm - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 16, 2016 8:21 am

bigface wrote:
My memory is of no fences as a large number of Argyle fans ran across the pitch from Lyndhurst to Mayflower.

I watched the whole game from the tunnel under the main grandstand, then scarpered after the final whistle. There were girls fighting too. Never seen owt like it.

That's how I recalled it too.  Pompey ran through the Lyndhurst around 2.45ish and the Argyle fans that were trying to create an atmosphere all legged it across the pitch.

I was also stood around there for the 2nd half after braving the 1st half in the Lyndy.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

PostSubject: Re: Portsmouth 6.57 firm   Portsmouth 6.57 firm - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 16, 2016 9:19 am

Coxside_Green wrote:
bigface wrote:

That's how I recalled it too.  Pompey ran through the Lyndhurst around 2.45ish and the Argyle fans that were trying to create an atmosphere all legged it across the pitch.

I was also stood around there for the 2nd half after braving the 1st half in the Lyndy.

Yep. That's how I remember it too. It was going off all round the ground. We were in the Lyndhurst which was like Custers Last Stand. A defiant shout of "you'll never take The Lyndhurst" went up and within a couple minutes we were off across the pitch to the Mayflower.

As a young teenager that shaped my thoughts on PFC. They sprayed 'Pompey 6:57' over the War Memorial too. Cnuts. I detest them and Cardiff aswell after a similarly bad experience in our 2-1 win in the '86 promotion season.
Back to top Go down
Freathy

Freathy

PostSubject: Re: Portsmouth 6.57 firm   Portsmouth 6.57 firm - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 16, 2016 9:52 am

Coxside_Green wrote:

mmmmm

I don't remember anyone being on the pitch - but then I certainly didn't stay until the final whistle. I'm convinced there were fences but if that is a pic from that day then clearly there wasn't. I was quite young then and it was a very long time ago so perhaps memory probably isn't accurate. I do remember the Pompey goal being scored and all sides of the ground erupting in celebration.
Back to top Go down
Coxside_Green

PostSubject: Re: Portsmouth 6.57 firm   Portsmouth 6.57 firm - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 16, 2016 9:55 am

Czarcasm wrote:
Coxside_Green wrote:
bigface wrote:

Yep. That's how I remember it too. It was going off all round the ground. We were in the Lyndhurst which was like Custers Last Stand. A defiant shout of "you'll never take The Lyndhurst" went up and within a couple minutes we were off across the pitch to the Mayflower.

As a young teenager that shaped my thoughts on PFC. They sprayed 'Pompey 6:57' over the War Memorial too. Cnuts. I detest them and Cardiff aswell after a similarly bad experience in our 2-1 win in the '86 promotion season.  

It really was 'Custers Last Stand' from 3ish onwards when the main Argyle faces of the day arrived. Absolute mayhem throughout the 1st half with D & C's finest being somehow totally unprepared. War Memorial aside, I can't really hate them for it though, it was what it was back then and Argyle caused their share of problems at Peterborough, Blackburn, Hereford etc etc.
Back to top Go down
Coxside_Green

PostSubject: Re: Portsmouth 6.57 firm   Portsmouth 6.57 firm - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 16, 2016 10:04 am

Freathy wrote:
Coxside_Green wrote:

mmmmm

I don't remember anyone being on the pitch - but then I certainly didn't stay until the final whistle.  I'm convinced there were fences but if that is a pic from that day then clearly there wasn't.  I was quite young then and it was a very long time ago so perhaps memory probably isn't accurate. I do remember the Pompey goal being scored and all sides of the ground erupting in celebration.

Like I said, I think the fences came the following season because of that match. I remember them being rather annoying after the Brizzle match a few years later Smile
Back to top Go down

PostSubject: Re: Portsmouth 6.57 firm   Portsmouth 6.57 firm - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 16, 2016 11:24 am

We watched the match from the Spion kop corner and left before the final whistle.
Could have put me off football for good, if I was a shrinking violet.
bounce
Back to top Go down
SteelCannon

SteelCannon

PostSubject: Re: Portsmouth 6.57 firm   Portsmouth 6.57 firm - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 16, 2016 4:56 pm

Glad people have 'grown up' since those days. Glad I was only a nipper (about 4) and missed all this silliness.
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

PostSubject: Re: Portsmouth 6.57 firm   Portsmouth 6.57 firm - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 16, 2016 5:22 pm

Les Miserable wrote:
VillageGreen wrote:
harvetheslayer wrote:
VillageGreen wrote:
Les Miserable wrote:

The school of thought is that the above picture is not from the so called 'battle of home park' in 1983......are you sure it's you Village.

That is the 1983 game and yes, I am in that photo. I would put £1 million on that.

Last edited by VillageGreen on Sun Oct 16, 2016 9:21 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

PostSubject: Re: Portsmouth 6.57 firm   Portsmouth 6.57 firm - Page 2 EmptySun Oct 16, 2016 9:20 pm

The Herald must have been bored yesterday, they were reporting a story about 80 Pompey fans in a Plymouth pub, the police are saying it was an incident. However, the pub landlord said there were 21:20:46no problems from the large group of Portsmouth fans and there was good banter all round.
Back to top Go down
VillageGreen

VillageGreen

PostSubject: Re: Portsmouth 6.57 firm   Portsmouth 6.57 firm - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 18, 2016 5:55 pm

Just had a look at the division three final standings from the 1982-83 season.

Pompey won the league on 91 points, Cardiff City were second on 86 and Huddersfield Town were third on 82 points. For younger viewers, there were no Play-Offs in those days. Argyle finished in eighth place on 65 points.

The Pompey game was our biggest league crowd of that season, 14, 173. That was followed by Exeter City at 8, 856.

The biggest FA Cup home game drew in 10, 202 and that was again Exeter City.

The biggest home crowd for t he League Cup was 3, 103 against AFC Bournemouth.

Surprisingly, apart from Argyle, only five other teams from today's League Two were in that division.

Pompey
Newport County
Exeter City
Leyton Orient
Doncaster Rovers
Back to top Go down
Sir Francis Drake

Sir Francis Drake

PostSubject: Re: Portsmouth 6.57 firm   Portsmouth 6.57 firm - Page 2 EmptyTue Oct 18, 2016 10:28 pm

What I remember of that infamous day was strolling in to the Lyndy and taking our usual place at a stanchion slightly Barn Park side of the halfway line about halfway back. There was a line of rozzers holding back a load of fans down the far end and a second line of rozzers holding others back towards the Devonport End. Somehow my buddies and I just walked straight through everything blissfully unaware that anything had happened but we discovered later that there had already been a big bundle. Essentially we were in no-mans land.

The fans at the BPE broke through the police cordon and attacked anybody they could. The others at the Devonport End similarly broke through and mayhem followed. Nobody in colours and rucks all over the place. Every man for himself, basically.

Once some sort of order was restored there was obviously "spotters" wandering about because all of a sudden another minor fracas would break out and somebody would be given a kicking before the assailants melted back into the crowd. Then a few minutes later it would happen again. And again.

Who was doing what to whom was unclear because nobody used to wear colours in those days and anybody showing a scarf would have been bonkers.

I remember seeing somebody, near the front towards the Devonport End, defend himself with his crash helmet before he was over-whelmed and chinned and there was somebody else in a pink shirt who seemed to be in the middle of everything that went off.

We ended up watching the game behind yet another line of rozzers at the top of the ramp which seemed to be where all the Argyle fans who were left had congregated. At the end there was an off-side and a pitch invasion because it was mistaken for the final whistle and the Pompey fans in the Lyndy then charged at us. The crowd legged it down the ramp and I was dragged along by them and I don't think my feet touched the ground until we were down by the old police box. Not that I had any intention of standing my ground.

Didn't see the final whistle but I don't think the ref played much injury time.
Back to top Go down
http://sicparvismagna.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Portsmouth 6.57 firm   Portsmouth 6.57 firm - Page 2 Empty

Back to top Go down

Portsmouth 6.57 firm
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2