4 posters
AuthorMessage
Greenskin

Greenskin

Summers past Empty
PostSubject: Summers past   Summers past EmptyFri Jan 20, 2012 7:15 pm

Bit of nostalgia,found this on youtube;

[You must be registered and logged in to see this link.]

Elegant and stylish player was Kevin Summerfield,high quality second tier until he was nobbled by that cnut Sharp at Goodison.I was at the game at Ashton Gate,huge Argyle representation as can be seen by the crush and swaying on that big open terracing behind the goal.I think the kick off had to be delayed,we left a pub in Clifton at two o'clock and still struggled to get in.Got our comeuppance in the next round at Highbury though,game controlled by the late David Rocastle.
Back to top Go down

Summers past Empty
PostSubject: Re: Summers past   Summers past EmptyFri Jan 20, 2012 7:28 pm

A great find that GS.
I was there at Ashton Gate, 5000 turned up and was a bit of a squeeze, but not too bad, nothing like the danger of the Highbury thing.
I remember that goal as if it were yesterday, Luke has never managed that sort of quality. And I also remember driving back down the M5 with no headlights due to a certain commonplace Ashton issue of those times. A good job it was a full moon that night and lots of homebound traffic to tuck into.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

Summers past Empty
PostSubject: Re: Summers past   Summers past EmptyFri Jan 20, 2012 7:49 pm

HA HA ! Didn't see either of the City games but was at Highbury as I was working in Laaaandan!

Unbelivable and much unexpected turnout from Argyle people.

It was around about then that I realised we are a sleeping giant !

Trouble is we need to find people with some style to realise our potential and buy in.

The present scenario is depressing.
Back to top Go down

Summers past Empty
PostSubject: Re: Summers past   Summers past EmptyFri Jan 20, 2012 7:59 pm

I know this has been done to death Tring, but t's worth repeating.
We arrived at Highbury late. We were some of the last ones in, and yet we got trapped up at the top of the terrace with our feet off the ground and wondering if a disaster was about to unfold.
BUT....they had still not at that time opened the extra segregation terrace that eventually relieved the danger within about a minute. Unbelievably bad organisation.
Just like they did at the Lyndhurst for the Torquay game the other day, they just bundled everyone in as long as they could grasp the money..... handing out tickets ? of course they didn't, but I bet the club wouldn't admit to it. I've done security work at rock festivals, and believe me the football industry could learn a thing or two about forward and contingency planning.
Back to top Go down
mouldyoldgoat
Admin
mouldyoldgoat

Summers past Empty
PostSubject: Re: Summers past   Summers past EmptySat Jan 21, 2012 12:37 am

I was there, great day! If I remember rightly to get into the away end was a big gate and you paid your money into a bucket and then ducked down under the heads of 2 police horses and in. One guy in front of me did as he was told and as he ducked under, one of the horses threw its head up and down as they do and 'butted' him on top of the head. It made a lot of people laugh which was good because fans were getting p***ed off because of the way we were being treated.

PepsiPete Forecasting League Champion 2016-17

He was behind me at Charlton!  [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]

Now an officially semi retired old fart! [You must be registered and logged in to see this image.]
Back to top Go down

Summers past Empty
PostSubject: Re: Summers past   Summers past EmptySat Jan 21, 2012 8:41 am

Some right muddy pitches back then...reignites some memories, that's for sure.
Also the goal celebrations back then were alot simpler then these nauseating abominations performed by today's generation.
Back to top Go down

Summers past Empty
PostSubject: Re: Summers past   Summers past EmptySat Jan 21, 2012 10:59 am

Wow, what a shed load of memories that's brought back. I remember standing near the back of the terrace at Ashton Gate and I couldn't see the whole of the goal in front of me. Had no idea that Summers shot had gone in until everyone in front started jumping up and down like mad.
It was entertaining getting in as well. Running battles in the street outside, only one turnstile open. Loads of Greens got in free that day after a large gate next to the turnstile gave way and hundreds poured in.
Back to top Go down

Summers past Empty
PostSubject: Re: Summers past   Summers past EmptySat Jan 21, 2012 11:03 am

penzancepirate wrote:
I know this has been done to death Tring, but t's worth repeating.
We arrived at Highbury late. We were some of the last ones in, and yet we got trapped up at the top of the terrace with our feet off the ground and wondering if a disaster was about to unfold.
BUT....they had still not at that time opened the extra segregation terrace that eventually relieved the danger within about a minute. Unbelievably bad organisation.
Just like they did at the Lyndhurst for the Torquay game the other day, they just bundled everyone in as long as they could grasp the money..... handing out tickets ? of course they didn't, but I bet the club wouldn't admit to it. I've done security work at rock festivals, and believe me the football industry could learn a thing or two about forward and contingency planning.
I was late for Highbury that day too PP. The train got in late. We were running down the street outside the ground at ten past three. Got in, and I don't think my feet made it onto the ground for 20 minutes because of the amount of people there. To make matters worse only a few minutes after getting in Charlie Bloody Nicholas stuck in the first goal. GRRRRR!
Back to top Go down

Summers past Empty
PostSubject: Re: Summers past   Summers past EmptySat Jan 21, 2012 11:08 am

Very true Brett, the thrashing made it the biggest anti climax I have ever been to.
It was over almost before it began.
That has to be the biggest ever away following outside Wembley ...12000 I think.
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

Summers past Empty
PostSubject: Re: Summers past   Summers past EmptySat Jan 21, 2012 11:14 am

I was at all of those games. City away was chaotic - nearly got crushed by policehorses on the way out through the away entrance.

Arsenal were completely unprepared for just how many of us would turn up. Myself and quite a few others were over the barriers and pitchside for a while, the crush was that bad. Then they realised and opened the section directly under the Clock.

If there had been fences up that day, there would have been major casualties.

Great memories. Laughing
Back to top Go down
Czarcasm

Czarcasm

Summers past Empty
PostSubject: Re: Summers past   Summers past EmptySat Jan 21, 2012 11:17 am

penzancepirate wrote:
Very true Brett, the thrashing made it the biggest anti climax I have ever been to.
That has to be the biggest ever away following outside Wembley ...12000 I think.

Villa Park, PP.
Back to top Go down
Tringreen

Tringreen

Summers past Empty
PostSubject: Re: Summers past   Summers past EmptySat Jan 21, 2012 1:25 pm

Czarcasm wrote:
penzancepirate wrote:

Villa Park, PP.

Still got the hat ! Told Napoleon and his loyal yeomanry that I'd eat it if the club, with Stapleton involved, reached the Prem.

Also said I'd walk to Home Park from Tring and buy everyone I met from Pasoti a pint and a pasty. The Aviva boys said they'd rather drink piss.......... figures ! lol! jocolor
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Summers past Empty
PostSubject: Re: Summers past   Summers past Empty

Back to top Go down

Summers past
Page 1 of 1